Photo

The Race of the Year 1971

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:04

Here are a few photos taken by a friend of mine at the ROY 1971. They were taken with a Brownie 127 camera so are a bit distant but this was a much remembered event.

Posted Image

Sheene gets a flyer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sheene at the hairpin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ago's MV

Posted Image

Cooper's BSA

Posted Image

Photo says Hailwood on the back. Can anyone confirm ?

Posted Image

The bike park.

Advertisement

#2 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:26

Yes its him he did do race of Year on a 350 Yamaha.

#3 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:26

What fantastic crowds back in those days.

#4 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:02

Yes its him he did do race of Year on a 350 Yamaha.

Posted Image

#5 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:05

Nice one Glenn!

You just got back from Phillip Island?

#6 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:35

No, been in RPH coronary care unit again trying to stop the dreaded tachycardia, Gra.
I think that's Hailwood about third away in the 350 race above : the #4 Trident wide in the RoTY start is Nixon.
Longtime works mechanic Steve Brown standing behind the #10 Trident of Smart.

#7 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:48

In this one is it Gary Nixon in the background with the stars on his sleeves and could it be Percy Tait on the right with the black leathers ?

Posted Image

#8 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:06

Yes, that's Nixon chatting to Doug Hele in the white shirt. I think that's Smart in the black leathers.

#9 Ronaldo

Ronaldo

• 95 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:08

Yes, that's Nixon chatting to Doug Hele in the white shirt. I think that's Smart in the black leathers.

Could be Ray Pickrell?

#10 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:54

Yep, looks tall enough and that's a Rocket 3 between the #10 Trident and Cooper's bike so it could be Ray.

Sheene on the Hi-Tac TR500 in the hairpin pic.

#11 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:36

Photos two and four in the sequence are not the RoY. This meeting was famously held in late summer/early autumn, a time when our green and pleasant land is still, well green. There are no leaves on the trees in these wrongly identified shots. Sheene too appears to be gassing the TR500 Seeley Monocoque out of the hairpin, a bike that didn't appear until '73. It's almost certainly Pickrell with his back to the camera.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 28 January 2013 - 13:25.

#12 OultonPark65

OultonPark65

• 32 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:08

Photos two and four in the sequence are not the RoY. This meeting was famously held in late summer/early autumn, a time when our green and pleasant land is still, well green. There are no leaves on the trees in these wrongly identified shots. Sheene too appears to be gassing the TR500 Seeley Monocoque out of the hairpin, a bike that didn't appear until '73. It's almost certainly Pickrell with his back to the camera.

I went to ROY 1971 and Monza the week after, Sheene fell in practice for ROY and broke his wrist didn't race that day and spoilt any chance he had of taking the 125cc World title on the ex Graham Suzuki, think he finished 3rd at Monza.

#13 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:19

I went to ROY 1971 and Monza the week after, Sheene fell in practice for ROY and broke his wrist didn't race that day and spoilt any chance he had of taking the 125cc World title on the ex Graham Suzuki, think he finished 3rd at Monza.

If he didn't race at all in the RoY meeting, they're clearly shots of at least three different Mallory meetings.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 28 January 2013 - 15:45.

#14 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 17:31

Just dug out my old programme .... Sheene rode #9 that day and won his 500cc heat but was second to Ago in the final. He was 3rd in the ROTY until lap 5 but I don't have the full list of finishers, Pickerell finished 3rd in the ROTY behind Coop and Ago.

Paul Smart rode #10 that day.

Hailwood was 7th in his 350 heat one place behind Saarinen (Sheene won) and in the final it was Ago, Barry Randle, Sheene, Hailwood, Saarinen and Chat.

Myself and two mates walked to Mallory from Derby on the Saturday evening - we tried hitching but even I wouldn't have stopped for three hairy greasers  ;) Slept rough in the carpark behind the Esses and then got sunburnt and lost my voice cheering at one of the most memorable day's racing I've ever been to.

#15 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 18:29

Just dug out my old programme .... Sheene rode #9 that day and won his 500cc heat but was second to Ago in the final. He was 3rd in the ROTY until lap 5 but I don't have the full list of finishers, Pickerell finished 3rd in the ROTY behind Coop and Ago.

Hailwood was 7th in his 350 heat one place behind Saarinen (Sheene won) and in the final it was Ago, Barry Randle, Sheene, Hailwood, Saarinen and Chat.

Myself and two mates walked to Mallory from Derby on the Saturday evening - we tried hitching but even I wouldn't have stopped for three hairy greasers ;) Slept rough in the carpark behind the Esses and then got sunburnt and lost my voice cheering at one of the most memorable day's racing I've ever been to.

Didn't Sheene crash heavily at Gerrards in the RoY in 1971 while riding a Seeley framed Suzuki?

#16 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 18:44

If he didn't race at all in the RoY meeting, they're clearly shots of at least three different Mallory meetings.

Yes pics two and four seem to be from a different meeting as it is a different time of year but the rest are from 1971. I was given a pack of pics and was told they all ROTY 1971 but I should have had a better look. So they are from two meetings it seems. It also appears that the pics do show Barry Sheene did race at the ROTY in 1971. Sorry for the confusion.

#17 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:49

Didn't Sheene crash heavily at Gerrards in the RoY in 1971 while riding a Seeley framed Suzuki?

I was well back from the fence on the exit of Gerrards but all eyes were on Cooper and Ago out front.

#18 tdijam

tdijam

• 65 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:57

I was well back from the fence on the exit of Gerrards but all eyes were on Cooper and Ago out front.

I believe he grounded the Crankcases whilst exiting Gerrards due to the engine being mounted to low in the frame.

John.

#19 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:09

I believe he grounded the Crankcases whilst exiting Gerrards due to the engine being mounted to low in the frame.

John.

I reckon you're right John, I remember he was quoted in MCN as saying he was trying some new Dunlops and was really making the most of them when the cases dug in and chucked him up the road.

Advertisement

#20 OultonPark65

OultonPark65

• 32 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:41

Myself and two mates walked to Mallory from Derby on the Saturday evening - we tried hitching but even I wouldn't have stopped for three hairy greasers ;) Slept rough in the carpark behind the Esses and then got sunburnt and lost my voice cheering at one of the most memorable day's racing I've ever been to.

Thanks for the correction, (memory failing) Sheene did break his wrist that day at Gerards, spoiling his chance at Monza. Must have been another meeting when I arrived to find that he had been hurt in practice, Cadwell, the trail bike and a broken leg I do remember.

#21 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 13:44

memory failing

Don't beat yourself up, I did bloody well to remember where my old programmes are :well:

#22 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 16:59

Thanks for the correction, (memory failing) Sheene did break his wrist that day at Gerards, spoiling his chance at Monza. Must have been another meeting when I arrived to find that he had been hurt in practice, Cadwell, the trail bike and a broken leg I do remember.

1975, he clipped his knee on a kerb during Race of Year meeting damaging it & the following week broke it properly pulling some stunt on a paddock bike @ Cadwell & DNS any races.

#23 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:43

Spoke to the friend who gave me the pictures last night and he confirms that all the pictures are from two meetings at Mallory from 1971 as he got married after that and stopped going to race events so it can't be Sheene on the Monocoque if. as you say, it didn't appear until 1973.

#24 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:19

Sheene on the Hi-Tac TR500 in the hairpin pic.

I meant this bike, not the monocoque.
Posted Image

#25 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:09

Spoke to the friend who gave me the pictures last night and he confirms that all the pictures are from two meetings at Mallory from 1971 as he got married after that and stopped going to race events so it can't be Sheene on the Monocoque if. as you say, it didn't appear until 1973.

Perhaps the delights of early married life have clouded his memory? In the first shot Sheene, in what appear to be black leathers, is gassing his TR2B off the line, all consistent with this being '71. In the hairpin shot, Bazza ‘s leathers appear to be lighter, perhaps resembling the all blue pair he wore in ’73? I’ve never seen an example of the ‘71 Seeley Suzuki without the up and over expansion chambers. In the hairpin pic we seem to have conventionally placed pipes on view? The earlier TR500 powered bike was fitted with an unpainted alloy seat and a blue and silver painted fairing. The later bike, either monocoque or otherwise, was fitted with a distinctive white fairing, just like the one on Sheene’s bike.

#26 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:12

I meant this bike, not the monocoque.
Posted Image

I don't think the watercooled version appeared until '72.

#27 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 18:07

I don't think the watercooled version appeared until '72.

Hi-Tac Suzuki, developed by Peter Inchley I think. Saw Sheene win on this at the Brands Boxing Day meeting in '71.

#28 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 18:20

Hi-Tac Suzuki, developed by Peter Inchley I think. Saw Sheene win on this at the Brands Boxing Day meeting in '71.

So raced properly from '72, but not by Barry.

#29 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:55

So raced properly from '72, but not by Barry.

Charlie Sanby raced the official one in 1973

#30 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 23:29

Charlie Sanby raced the official one in 1973

A mate of mine bought the ex Charlie Sanby Hi Tac Suzuki in 1979, only because he couldnt afford a TZ350 at the time, bearing in mind he could have bought a TZ for around £1200 he must have paid very little for the Hi Tac, he rode it a few times then sold it on, I have often wondered where it ended up, and if it still exists?

Edited by Paul Collins, 30 January 2013 - 23:29.

#31 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:01

Perhaps the delights of early married life have clouded his memory? In the first shot Sheene, in what appear to be black leathers, is gassing his TR2B off the line, all consistent with this being '71. In the hairpin shot, Bazza ‘s leathers appear to be lighter, perhaps resembling the all blue pair he wore in ’73? I’ve never seen an example of the ‘71 Seeley Suzuki without the up and over expansion chambers. In the hairpin pic we seem to have conventionally placed pipes on view? The earlier TR500 powered bike was fitted with an unpainted alloy seat and a blue and silver painted fairing. The later bike, either monocoque or otherwise, was fitted with a distinctive white fairing, just like the one on Sheene’s bike.

Well the mystery deepens. Spoke again with my friend and he says it can't be after 1971 as he was in Germany from January 72 until August 74 when he returned to the UK. He also tells me he took the camera with him and has the photos from Germany that he took with it. Does anyone have any programs from 1971 at Mallory showing Sheene riding with No.1 on his bike ? One other thing is that all the photos have the same batch number stamped on them from when they were developed. Spooky !

#32 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:51

#9 at the Post TT meeting as well

#33 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 21:31

Well the mystery deepens. Spoke again with my friend and he says it can't be after 1971 as he was in Germany from January 72 until August 74 when he returned to the UK. He also tells me he took the camera with him and has the photos from Germany that he took with it. Does anyone have any programs from 1971 at Mallory showing Sheene riding with No.1 on his bike ? One other thing is that all the photos have the same batch number stamped on them from when they were developed. Spooky !

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pretty sure this is from 1971

March 7th

Edited by Classicpics, 01 February 2013 - 21:33.

#34 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:24

The lettering isn't mine but from this site: http://www.google.co...p...isch&itbs=1
I was n Britain in '71 and cannot remember seeing Sheene, either in person or in photographs, wearing anything other than black leathers.

According to Seeley's book, the original '71 TR500 powered bike with up and over chambers, drum brakes and blue/silver colour scheme (as per second picture below) was delivered to Suzuki GB in late April of that year.

Posted Image

I saw him on this ealier version of the Seeley Suzuki in '71, including the big Siverstone meeting towards the end of the season.
Posted Image

Edited by Russell Burrows, 02 February 2013 - 12:54.