• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:12

Video (and story) Here: http://formula-one.s...ndretti-trophy/

VETTEL DOES IT AGAIN!

Motor sports icon Mario Andretti presented his namesake trophy to 2012 Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel as this year’s SPEED Performer of the Year on the Sunday night edition of SPEED Center.

“You are going up against the best of the best for this award,” said Andretti, the only driver to ever win the Indianapolis 500, the Daytona 500 and the Formula One World Championship. “We’re considering every major discipline in motor sports. That’s what you are up against … that’s the grandeur of this award.”

Vettel, who captured his third consecutive Formula One title in dramatic fashion to become the youngest triple champion in series history, came out atop five SPEED Performer of the Year finalists, including NASCAR champion Brad Keselowski, versatile youngster Kyle Larson, IndyCar champ Ryan Hunter-Reay and WRC legend Sebastien Loeb. Ten of this year’s 16 nominees earned at least one first-place vote in the balloting.

"It’s unbelievable … I´m very proud to get the trophy of one of the best racers of all time -- Mario Andretti,” said Vettel, who also took home the Andretti trophy in 2010. “It does mean a lot to me and I really appreciate it."

Andretti headlines a 22-member SPOTY voting panel that includes racers Dan Gurney, Darrell Waltrip, Don Prudhomme, Scott Russell, Tommy Kendall and Dorsey Schroeder. In addition, some of the most recognizable names in motor sports television -- Dave Despain, Bob Varsha, Leigh Diffey and Ralph Sheheen -- are joined by motor sports journalists Robin Miller, Tom Jensen and Marshall Pruett on the panel.

“(Vettel) had an unbelievable season,” Andretti said on SPEED Center. “When you look at the overall performance – qualifying, race wins and the start of the season when things were not really going their way … all of a sudden, the way he just came back and forced his way to the very top was exemplary of a real champion. He could not be denied.”

The award, now in its seventh season, is presented annually by SPEED to the racer who puts a premium on winning races, shines on motor sports’ biggest stages and does it all with a measure of sportsmanship and class.

The Mario Andretti Trophy, a true work of art created by bronze sculptor Elie Hazak, stands 38 inches tall and weighs 95 pounds. It features eight cars, including six of the most important in Mario’s rise to superstardom, as well as an array of artistic symbolism that captures the essence of the trophy’s namesake.

Congrats to Vettel - Well Deserved! :up:

Advertisement

#2 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:22

I had to look up who Kyle Larson was.

#3 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:46

Upcoming NASCAR prospect, along with Ross Kenseth. Had a couple of drives in the CWTS last year with Turner.

#4 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:59

I am a big fan of Vettel and not a fan at all of Brad Keselowski but I thought Keselowski should have won. Brad K. took on the #48 team in a head to head battle and beat 5-Time.

I wont lose any sleep over it though.

#5 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:28

Congratulations! :up:

Odd that he won it in 2010 and 2012, but not in 2011. They really seem to have a soft spot for a "never give up" mentality.

Looking at the previous winners, there are 7 NASCAR trophies or runner-ups, 2 F1, 2 Moto-GP, 2 NHRA, 1 WoO - pretty NASCAR centric.

#6 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:19

Congratulations! :up:

Odd that he won it in 2010 and 2012, but not in 2011. They really seem to have a soft spot for a "never give up" mentality.

Looking at the previous winners, there are 7 NASCAR trophies or runner-ups, 2 F1, 2 Moto-GP, 2 NHRA, 1 WoO - pretty NASCAR centric.

Especially they seem to have a soft spot for Jimmie Johnson, looking at who got the trophy over the past years. How credible is it?

Also interesting sculpture, is there any close-up picture of the trophy?

Anyway, always good to see Mario :up: :up:

#7 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:29

Congrats to Seb, some stellar names on the shortlist, some tough opponents within his own discipline, yes Andretti seems to be a fan of his (doubt Seb will ever pick up the Jacques Villeneuve trophy!) but recognition is great.

#8 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 14:07

Now you know keep en eye on him. Massive talent, wins in everything he has touched.
Big future ahead of him in NASCAR.

#9 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 14:10

Wonder if Vettel will take the chance to tweet about how good he is and how much credit he has from the motorsport community, or making ironic comments about how the judges must be diehard Vettel fans. :smoking:

Edited by Skinnyguy, 28 January 2013 - 14:12.

#10 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 14:20

No, he will probably tweet that it's nice, but that he kind of misses being hugged in the street and being called a hero :lol:

#11 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 14:55

Congrats to Seb, some stellar names on the shortlist, some tough opponents within his own discipline, yes Andretti seems to be a fan of his (doubt Seb will ever pick up the Jacques Villeneuve trophy!) but recognition is great.

:rotfl:
Yay! Cheers to Sebastian, but I wouldn't have minded if Loeb received the award instead. Looks like Sebastian is very much the best driver in 2012 to some fans, while other fans may prefer other drivers. I doubt I'll see the day when everyone unanimously votes a single driver as the best.  ;)

#12 f1gooner

f1gooner

• 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:29

Congratulations to Sebvet!Another well deserved award.

#13 skyfolker

skyfolker

• 393 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:38

...and another thread.

#14 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:45

...and another thread.

:rotfl: It is never a bad thing to celebrate another Sebastian Vettel win/trophy/award.

No, he will probably tweet that it's nice, but that he kind of misses being hugged in the street and being called a hero

"That's what I'm talking about!"

#15 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:49

How terribly exciting... snores

But the real shocker is that NASCAR driver wasn't on top - this is SPEED we're talking about after all :wave:

#16 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 16:10

Wonder if Vettel will take the chance to tweet about how good he is and how much credit he has from the motorsport community, or making ironic comments about how the judges must be diehard Vettel fans. :smoking:

No, he will probably tweet that it's nice, but that he kind of misses being hugged in the street and being called a hero :lol:

Unsurprisingly the usual haters incapable of not hating. Sad.

#17 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 16:18

Indeed.

It seems many outside the influence of F1's internal politics consider him the driver of the year.

#18 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 16:33

Aw, come on. You cannot expect there not to be a little harmless gloating. What is the point of being a fan otherwise? :p This is a happy celebratory thread for Sebastian, so let us all be happy here, yeah?

It seems many outside the influence of F1's internal politics consider him the driver of the year.

Yup. I cannot wait for the Laureus Award results. Though the competition seems tough (and the nomination itself is a good enough reward) I think Sebastian still stands a chance. After all 3x WDC at the young age of 25 should be rather convincing.  ;)

#19 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 16:55

Aw, come on. You cannot expect there not to be a little harmless gloating. What is the point of being a fan otherwise? :p This is a happy celebratory thread for Sebastian, so let us all be happy here, yeah?

Yup. I cannot wait for the Laureus Award results. Though the competition seems tough (and the nomination itself is a good enough reward) I think Sebastian still stands a chance. After all 3x WDC at the young age of 25 should be rather convincing. ;)

"Tough competition" is an understatement for the Laureus award. Just look at Messi with his goal record last year, 4 times player of the year, 4 times in a row nominated for the award. Wiggins also had a standout year. Vettel has a chance, but competition is very tough. Last year his chance was probably even higher, but Djokovic had a crazy season as well.

Advertisement

#20 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 17:04

"Tough competition" is an understatement for the Laureus award. Just look at Messi with his goal record last year, 4 times player of the year, 4 times in a row nominated for the award. Wiggins also had a standout year. Vettel has a chance, but competition is very tough. Last year his chance was probably even higher, but Djokovic had a crazy season as well.

True, but hope springs eternal. :lol:
On a quick note, I don't really regard Messi's goal record as being that exceptional as he is playing for Barcelona. But I think Djokovic and Phelps (last year was Olympic year remember) will be tough.

Edited by MarileneRiddle, 28 January 2013 - 17:04.

#21 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 18:54

I don't really regard Messi's goal record as being that exceptional as he is playing for Barcelona.

Coming from a Vettel fan, too. :lol:

#22 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 18:59

Coming from a Vettel fan, too. :lol:

Yup! :wave:

But really, my point is more on the fact that it is easy to score goals in the La Liga because of lack of opposition (like Sebastian in 2011). If Barcelona happened to be in a more competitive league like BPL or the Bundesliga (my favourite!) than I would rate him much as I did Sebastian last year (with the close grid we had).

#23 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:03

Not bad. The Laureus Award will be pretty hard as there have been many other brilliant achievements by other fantastic competitors.

#24 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:29

:rotfl:
Yay! Cheers to Sebastian, but I wouldn't have minded if Loeb received the award instead. Looks like Sebastian is very much the best driver in 2012 to some fans, while other fans may prefer other drivers. I doubt I'll see the day when everyone unanimously votes a single driver as the best.;)

Congratulations to Sebastian Vettel!

But I agree with you - Sebastian Loeb is really great and should receive all the awards that exist at last once.

Edited by rijole1, 28 January 2013 - 20:30.

#25 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:26

This particular award has special criteria. There has to be intense competition, adversity, trials and tribulations, masterful achievement in one or more respects, moderately upstanding character, never give up attitude, overall good sportsmanship, talent, skill, and the like. So it wasn't just reaching the third WDC at 25 years old, although that was definitely a consideration, but a lot of other factors are considered as well. I think Mario is the one who came up with the criteria.

In some other thread, people were saying they liked these alternative ranking/award systems to go along with the WDC. So here ya go...

#26 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:30

This particular award has special criteria. There has to be intense competition, adversity, trials and tribulations, masterful achievement in one or more respects, moderately upstanding character, never give up attitude, overall good sportsmanship, talent, skill, and the like. So it wasn't just reaching the third WDC at 25 years old, although that was definitely a consideration, but a lot of other factors are considered as well. I think Mario is the one who came up with the criteria.

In some other thread, people were saying they liked these alternative ranking/award systems to go along with the WDC. So here ya go...

Wow, I didn't know so much thought went into the award (I am sorry I assumed it was another popularity contest :blush:) . I think my respect for Mario just went up more.

But, having gone through the criteria you just stated there, it is no wonder Sebastian won the award. It just described Sebastian's 2012 season to the tee!  ;)

#27 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:45

Beware, crazy people around this BB has negative opinions about some actions from drivers when they don´t like that action. It´s really evil, isn´t it? We must tag them as haters, no doubt. :drunk:

#28 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:28

Beware, crazy people around this BB has negative opinions about some actions from drivers when they don´t like that action. It´s really evil, isn´t it? We must tag them as haters, no doubt. :drunk:

You are right, having a negative opinion is not hating.

There were threads related to that topic but it seem they were not enough for you, you have a impulsive need to talk about him in every thread. This thread has nothing to do with the driver you keep bashing but your obsession has no limits. This thread is about your favourite driver winning an award but instead of enjoying it or celebrating you decide to do what you did. That's why I tag you as haters. Sad.

#29 svalgis

svalgis

• 56 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:37

vettel fanboy screams in thread title!

surprise!!!

#30 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 16:21

This particular award has special criteria. There has to be intense competition, adversity, trials and tribulations, masterful achievement in one or more respects, moderately upstanding character, never give up attitude, overall good sportsmanship, talent, skill, and the like.

Cool! Thanks for the info bourbon.

It's good to see Vettel being rewarded for being a class act. One of the big reasons I like Button so much.

#31 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:35

vettel fanboy screams in thread title!

surprise!!!

Are you insinuating that Vettel shouldn't have any, or just out for a Wednesday afternoon troll? :D

I am of course. Vettel's achievements continue to amaze for such a young driver. I think it is fantastic to be able to live these historical moments in time, often only appreciated much later.

It is quite admirable for Seb to have twice won the Andretti award; I have listened over the last few years while Mario spoke about it (when it was being awarded to others as well as Seb) and it has a great deal of meaning for him in terms of actual on track performance and to some degree, the on and off track character of the driver. I am pleased that those voting for the award don't pander to USA drivers or USA focused motorsports, so it is particularly pleasing for me as a USA based fan.

Edited by bourbon, 30 January 2013 - 19:46.

#32 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:45

I am pleased that those voting for the award don't pander to USA drivers or USA focused motorsports, so it is particularly pleasing for me as a USA based fan.

IMO that, more than anything else, speaks to how highly Vettel's season was rated.