• 1,432 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:24

For anyone wanting a meeting spot, my stand is available in the usual place

Advertisement

#2 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:34

Am scheduled to be driving the Bristol Pegasus Motoer Clubs Mini Bus up on the Friday, anyone want to suggest a time for meeting ?

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:42

I'll be on that minibus too. Traditional meeting time is 1.00pm, but if anyone would prefer a different time let us know.

#4 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:51

Im there on Friday

#5 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:52

I'll be there. Probably on the Friday.

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:06

For anyone wanting a meeting spot, my stand is available in the usual place

Stand P29 again, Ted? Very convenient for the bar. :up:

Here are some interesting stats from the Race Retro site:

1 in 5 of visitor households has more than 6 cars.
93% of visitors are male. 77% are aged between 35 and 64.
55% of visitors are in senior positions or management level jobs.
The show is rated 4.2 out of 5 by visitors, one of the highest ratings in the UK.
96% of visitors spent half a day or more at the show. Those spending a full day rated it at 4.4.

#7 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:11

1 in 5 of visitor households has more than 6 cars.
93% of visitors are male.
77% are aged between 35 and 64.
55% of visitors are in senior positions or management level jobs.
The show is rated 4.2 out of 5 by visitors, one of the highest ratings in the UK.
96% of visitors spent half a day or more at the show.
Those spending a full day rated it at 4.4.

I score on 6 out of 7 of these just need 6 more cars :rotfl:

#8 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:45

I'm there on Friday as well.

#9 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 22:07

Dad went last year and wasn't impressed - has the Retro been scaled up again this year?

#10 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:24

Tim ,Yes Stand P29.Show always good.

#11 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:04

Dad went last year and wasn't impressed - has the Retro been scaled up again this year?

Not knowing what he was expecting it's hard to comment but it always seems broadly the same size to me. I cannot remember one that wasn't excellent.

#12 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 13:50

Not knowing what he was expecting it's hard to comment but it always seems broadly the same size to me. I cannot remember one that wasn't excellent.

Dad and I had been regular attenders for several years (I was working last time).

He said that there was no outside rally stage, fewer stands and less to look at. I think he may have mentioned a car parking charge as well.

#13 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:35

Dad and I had been regular attenders for several years (I was working last time).

He said that there was no outside rally stage, fewer stands and less to look at. I think he may have mentioned a car parking charge as well.

Maybe went on the Friday, the only day the Live Rally Stage ISN'T operating?

#14 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:49

Maybe went on the Friday, the only day the Live Rally Stage ISN'T operating?

No, he would have been at work.

Dad is a bit deaf and not always very observant - I'm wondering whether he was in the wrong halls or something now.

#15 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:37

No, he would have been at work.

Dad is a bit deaf and not always very observant - I'm wondering whether he was in the wrong halls or something now.

The Live Rally Stage is (not surprisingly) outside and about a 5 minute walk from the indoor show - and usually with little if any signposting to it, so easy to miss if you don't know it's happening!

#16 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:46

Dad knows that - we've watched it several times!

I'm a bit worried about him now. I think he might have been at the wrong event.

#17 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 14:45

I'm a bit worried about him now. I think he might have been at the wrong event.

Easily done, and not a reflection on your father. My experiences of the signposting to the event are that they would almost prefer it if you didn't attend. No signs at all would be preferable to the positively misleading signs that they do put up.

Before last year I hadn't been since 2009, but for what it's worth it did seem smaller to me than how I had remembered it - although coming so soon after the Autosport NEC show I guess anything would seem smaller in comparison.

#18 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 15:25

I don't think the show has got any smaller. However the signage on the site has been poor for both sets of organisers since the start. I remember the first year we attended the auction preview so left in the dark and could not find the way out so along with several other cars we were driving round the showground looking for the exit gate!
We are there on Friday - you get a better class of folk that day!

#19 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:36

I see that TNF's very own Simon Lewis will be featuring a collection of David Blanch's Tasman Series photographs
http://www.raceretro...tID=@0000000080

Advertisement

#20 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 23:12

It looks like I'm working again this year.

Dad may go - I will remind him to actually go and look for the rally stage this time.

Dad - if you are reading this, I'm not being horrible, I just care.

(I don't think Dad has got his head round forums yet, but it may only be a matter of time.)

Edited by LotusElise, 16 February 2013 - 23:12.

#21 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 00:52

I will be there to enjoy the rally stage with my family and on the look out for Birmingham Superprix memorabilia/magazines.

#22 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 15:40

I read that the Jim Clark display will be featuring Jim's own Elan, courtesy of Michael Schryver, alongside a pair of Lotus 25s

Also from the press release:

The Chapman Family have made available the Colin Chapman type 25 general arrangement drawing, which will be its first public display in the UK, and the Jim Clark Room will also be represented with a display of memorabilia relating to the late racing driver. On Friday afternoon at 12.45 on the interview stage, a lady who owns a set of Jim Clark overalls is donating them to Classic Team Lotus while Amalgam Fine Model Cars will be unveiling their 1:8 scale Lotus type 49B on the Classic Team Lotus stand in Hall 2 as well.

#23 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 21:19

I see that TNF's very own Simon Lewis will be featuring a collection of David Blanch's Tasman Series photographs
http://www.raceretro...tID=@0000000080

I certainly am Alan (thanks for the plug) and there are some real crackers!
As ever all welcome to call by and have a look - I'm in HALL 3 , stand P15.

The current range is viewable online here

#24 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:06

I'll be there on Sunday will try to pop over to see Ted and Simon Lewis. I'll be out on the rally stage with bib and camera. It's looking dry but freezing for Sunday. At least the camera will stay dry this year.

#25 Rudernst

Rudernst

• 119 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 20:04

I am not going, but one of my cars is.

The ex Betty Haig HRG 1500 will be displayed on the HSCC stand.
Betty Haig had her own subtly modified body built for the car.
More windscreen rake and rounded wings in place of the usual square riggers

She used the car in the 1950 Alpine Rally, the Maloja Hillclimb and later raced it at Goodwood.

Betty Haig is a founder member of the HSCC and I thought it would be of interest

Rudolf

#26 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 19:24

Enjoyable as always.........a few from today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The burger bars were popular.......however outside :eek:

Posted Image

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 22 February 2013 - 21:40.

#27 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:53

The burger bars were popular.......however outside :eek:

Posted Image

The dearth of equine competitors is probably down to the preparations for Master Chef!

#28 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:43

The most evocative combination from the 1½-litre formula of green, yellow and Lotus 25 greets visitors at the entrance (Owner: Nick Fennell)
Posted Image
As mentioned above, Rudolf Ernst's ex-Betty Haig HRG looking immaculate
Posted Image
Posted Image
The ex-Harry Zweifel Lotus 19 undergoing restoration, on Crosthwaite and Gardiner's stand
Posted Image
The White steam car 'Whistling Billy' recreated by Robert Dyke
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Alan Cox, 23 February 2013 - 12:18.

#29 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:46

As mentioned in the press release quoted, by Alan.......

Posted Image

Clive Chapman receives Jim Clark's overalls.

#30 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 13:24

Clive Chapman receives Jim Clark's overalls.

I don't understand this, am I missing something?

#31 gary76

gary76

• 106 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 14:44

Visted Race Retro show on Friday and was a bit disapointed. First of all the price £25 was too expensive (advance booking was £20 plus wait for it £3 booking fee!!) We had to park a good 15mins walk away from the Halls and there was no directions so we followed other people who were equally 'lost'.
Ok if was crowded but we crossed several empty car parking areas. It was not a crowded in the halls either.
There was quite a lot to see and some interesting 'Trade' stands' but not worth the entry price.
The Auto-Jumble area was poorly lit and very cold although there was a lot there. I shold imaging the stall holders would be pleased to get away home!
I saw something I thought a bit over priced and asked the stall holder if he would be interested in an offer (a question with no price offered) and all I got was a grumpy NO from the bloke all wrapped up and sat on his bum. It seems to be a disease these days they would rather take the stuff home than sell it,why?
The two pals I was with were of the same opinion so the bottom line is we will not go again, sorry to be so negative but someone needs to try harder if these shows are to go on.
Gary

#32 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 15:04

I don't understand this, am I missing something?

The lady in question is Val Le May Neville-Parry, widow of Chris Parry, who was Firestone Competitions Manager in the Sixties. The overalls were give to Chris by Jim Clark in period, and she has now given them to Classic Team Lotus for safekeeping.

#33 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 16:14

The lady in question is Val Le May Neville-Parry, widow of Chris Parry, who was Firestone Competitions Manager in the Sixties. The overalls were give to Chris by Jim Clark in period, and she has now given them to Classic Team Lotus for safekeeping.

Would it not have been just as appropriate if not more so, if they were in Duns?

#34 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 16:30

742cc Twin Cam Coventry Climax FWMC used at Le Mans in 1961 in a Lotus Elite

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by bill p, 23 February 2013 - 17:02.

#35 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 16:45

It would appear to be back to the future for Tiff Needell.....

Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 17:18

We had to park a good 15mins walk away from the Halls and there was no directions so we followed other people who were equally 'lost'.

I tend to agree, Gary; direction signs seem to ba a lost art to the Race Retro organisers, both inside and outside the venue. A friend of mine sought to park in the disabled car park (with the appropriate disabled badge) and followed the one sign to the disabled car park - and then nothing. There were loads of cars just parked park here, there and everywhere near to the halls with no clear signage, and no stewards, either.

#37 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:30

I tend to agree, Gary; direction signs seem to ba a lost art to the Race Retro organisers, both inside and outside the venue. A friend of mine sought to park in the disabled car park (with the appropriate disabled badge) and followed the one sign to the disabled car park - and then nothing. There were loads of cars just parked park here, there and everywhere near to the halls with no clear signage, and no stewards, either.

The website clearly says that access to the disabled car park is via the main gate, which despite me calling up the organisers to inform them of this error LAST YEAR, failed to amend the site (so I called them up and drew their attention to it again this year!)
I had no problem finding the disabled car park at 9.40am this year as I was directed to it verbally with clarity, and there was a large sign at the entrance to it with a truck full of mobility scooters opposite. I was however quite surprised to find said car park fairly full at that time, many of the vehicles therein not displaying disabled badges.... :well: Last year, it was well policed, although it was in a different location.

Edited by Giraffe, 23 February 2013 - 18:47.

#38 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 20:23

Press instructions were to enter through the main gate with the ticket provided. But the men at the gate wearily told us to drive round to "Gate 3". I was not the only person to do a complete lap of Stoneleigh without discovering any sign to "Gate 3". So I returned to the main gate and told them that I was coming in that way whether they liked it or not. I have to assume this will lead to some pretty poor press coverage from those of the fourth estate that habour grudges.

#39 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 22:31

I had no problem getting in as I got there early and most unlike me, I was rather forceful and just said "press, I believe I park with the exhibitors" and they just waved me through.

But getting out? No signs, cars triple parked, no security or people watching to check car parking had been done correctly. I had a tighter squeeze to get out of where I was parked then Mansell did in getting out of the 1995 McLaren.

The only other gripe was the marshal on Hall 2. Acted like a bodyguard for the Queen and very bolshy. So I just went in the unsecurity-manned Hall 1 and walked through to Hall 2 that way. :lol:

The event itself was, as it always is, a delight. I just regret I didn't discover it until 2012. A mass of photos for WATN and a nice chat to Tim Parnell, plus the delights of hearing Norman Dewis again. It was good to see Roger Clark and Adam Ferrington again after a absence of at least a year, plus meet Twinny for the first time, as well as the usual faces - Tony, Tim, Allen etc, as well as meeting Alan Drysdale for the first time, a very helpful and friendly chap.

Advertisement

#40 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 00:35

Visted Race Retro show on Friday and was a bit disapointed. First of all the price £25 was too expensive (advance booking was £20 plus wait for it £3 booking fee!!) We had to park a good 15mins walk away from the Halls and there was no directions so we followed other people who were equally 'lost'.
Ok if was crowded but we crossed several empty car parking areas. It was not a crowded in the halls either.
There was quite a lot to see and some interesting 'Trade' stands' but not worth the entry price.
The Auto-Jumble area was poorly lit and very cold although there was a lot there. I shold imaging the stall holders would be pleased to get away home!
I saw something I thought a bit over priced and asked the stall holder if he would be interested in an offer (a question with no price offered) and all I got was a grumpy NO from the bloke all wrapped up and sat on his bum. It seems to be a disease these days they would rather take the stuff home than sell it,why?
The two pals I was with were of the same opinion so the bottom line is we will not go again, sorry to be so negative but someone needs to try harder if these shows are to go on.
Gary

So Stoneleigh has lived up to its reputation yet again. :cry: I'm sure Race Retro is a great show they just need somewhere (anywhere) else to put it. I had a trade stand at the first 2 shows (under a different name then) and the complaints seem just the same now as then. Biggest problem though is that it is so cold. It seemed back then as though if you were in Hall 1 nothing was too good for you, anywhere else nobody really cared.

As for the grumpy guy and the offer, it can get incredibly frustrating when a succession of punters make desultory offers on valuable items, particularly if it is along the lines of "I'll give you a fiver for that mate, you'll be glad to see the back of it". I'm sure your approach was not at all like that but it is amazing how often potential buyers miss out on a bargain by their attitude. :)

Edited by RCH, 24 February 2013 - 00:37.

#41 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 157 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:35

On Friday, with an ordinary ticket, I arrived at 0930, got parked very efficiently by the parking team about 5 mins walk from the Entrance and no complaints at all. Inside the show, it was the lack of heating that was gripe-inducing - clearly the organisers had not pre-heated any of Halls 1 to 3 overnight. Hall 4 Autojumble was an iceberg and I expected to see the odd polar bear ambling around. How the exhibitors survived without contracting hypothermia .... but it was ever thus.

I think that arriving at a reasonably early hour is part of the secret at RR. This year's show - considering there's a recession - was as good as previous years although (as elsewhere) the number of booksellers is declining. Still, bought some stuff and met just about everyone I see at racetracks inside.

Well worth a visit.
Nick

#42 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:02

I enjoyed the show very much, as usual, and it was good to catch up with so many TNFers and other old friends. I was a bit disappointed, though, at how few really historic racing cars, especially Grand Prix cars, there were on display compared to previous years. Unless I missed something, there were only two Lotus 25s and the 32B, an Alfa P3, the Tec Mec and an Indy Penske. In that respect there was a much, much better turnout at the Autosport show, which seems wrong to me.

The highlight for me was 'Whistling Billy', the White steam car racer as seen in Alan Cox's photos above. The very friendly and enthusiastic owner was more than happy to talk about all aspects of the car and how he recreated it.

#43 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:49

I am on my way to the show now. We have all wrapped ip and brough our winter footwear. So is it advisable to go through the main gate then?

Also the organisers said that we need to drive on the B4115 road, not the B4113 to the show. Is that true?

#44 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 15:59

I wish I had known beforehand - I would have made sure that you all went and said hello. Who to? Well, the Maltese Mdina Grand Prix that I have alerted TNF to, not long ago, actually had a stand there somewhere. Did anyone notice it?

Even more frustrating is that on the stand was a personal friend of mine from North Wales and now here, where he is a prominent member of the organisation of the Mdina event as well as being Chief Scrutineer for the Island Car Club.

His presence was missed at today's hill climb event.

#45 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 16:28

...actually had a stand there somewhere. Did anyone notice it?

Nothing listed in the show guide under Malta/Maltese/Mdina/Valetta GP

#46 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 16:35

Nothing listed in the show guide under Malta/Maltese/Mdina/Valetta GP

Shades of Peter Ustinov................... :smoking:

#47 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 19:12

I certainly did not see anything but they were there last year!

#48 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 19:26

They have posted pictures on Facebook so I know they were there.

#49 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 23:32

Well I had a great day. I turned up at the main gate at 9.45am, was directed to the press car park which was two minutes walk from the entrance. They were already letting the public in at that time. Saw some very nice cars (I liked the front wheel drive Bond formula Junior).
Had a lovely chat with Tony Wilson-Spratt and Paul Woolmer on the WSM stand, a very nice 10 minute chat with Barrie Williams, waved to Murray Walker, bought a new hlemet and gloves (which should keep me MSA legal for the next few years), bought a few more magazines which were needed for my collection. And generally ogled at loads of cars which I would love to drive, but never will. Three of the four halls were nice and warm, although the fourth for the poor autojumblers was absolutely freezing.
No complaints from me (though I have to admit that I didn't have to pay for a ticket).

#50 ErleMin

ErleMin

• 94 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:56

Went yesterday. B4113, straight in, 10am-ish though I had been before so roughly knew which building to walk towards. Abarth seemed to have put a fair bit into it. Loved the Imps. Poured over the GRD chassis on the mechanics club stand (who designed GRDs?). Saw lots of friends. Autojumble is always unheated so ambient ie. cold. Sat on the fire engine step and had a Spitfire, asked Murray a question and saw Ted's stand but not him to speak to. He was nattrin'. Good to see Win Percy. Really enjoyed it. Followed the Horse Walk back, got in the car and guessed my way out.