* * * - - 9 votes

When will chrome end in McLaren cars?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:41

Light hearted topic here. One more year, we get exactly the same livery from McLaren. While it´s not too bad looking, it´s got boring for me, and it´s certainly not better than previous ones (Red-white from 90´s, West Livery, first chrome livery with Fly Emirates orange...).

So share your view: Are you sick of this livery already or you still like it? How long it´s supposed to stay (any info on contracts with sponsors?)? What would you like for the future?

Advertisement

#2 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:46

I suppose once Vodafone leaves them, Then they will consider the new livery to suite a main sponsor. For example if NIKE were to take main sponsorship It could be a full black car with white NIKE swoosh or vice versa. Its Why Ferrari will always be red, as there road cars are usually red ect. Its just marketing

#3 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:46

I like it and still like it. Vodafone sponsorship only covers this year (with an option to renew next year). If the title sponsor changes for 2014, then the livery could well be dramatically different. So you may only have one more year of it.

Edited by Owen, 31 January 2013 - 14:47.

#4 FranDaMan

FranDaMan

• 641 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:47

/sarcasm Yeah they should totally ditch it. Also Ferrari should ditch that red , it just smacks of a lazy marketing department that they have the same thing year in and year out. /sarcasm

What's wrong with it? I think it looks fantastic!

#5 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:49

Light hearted topic here. One more year, we get exactly the same livery from McLaren. While it´s not too bad looking, it´s got boring for me, and it´s certainly not better than previous ones (Red-white from 90´s, West Livery, first chrome livery with Fly Emirates orange...).

So share your view: Are you sick of this livery already or you still like it? How long it´s supposed to stay (any info on contracts with sponsors?)? What would you like for the future?

When the title sponsorship changes hand in all likelihood it will change, otherwise no it will not change and the livery is fine.

#6 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:50

For the hundredth time - CHROME IS McLAREN.

#7 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:51

/sarcasm Yeah they should totally ditch it. Also Ferrari should ditch that red , it just smacks of a lazy marketing department that they have the same thing year in and year out. /sarcasm

Hey, at least Ferrari change their tone from time to time. And also they have better reasons to keep it, McLaren has no historical link with this scheme. I think it´s just no good enough and boring.

#8 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:52

It's really not though. Yeah they use it, but it's not a historic color for them. and Their insistence on having everything but Vodafone be in black is a mistake imo.

#9 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:54

It's really not though. Yeah they use it, but it's not a historic color for them. and Their insistence on having everything but Vodafone be in black is a mistake imo.

TBH, there's not much of that, even less every year.

Edited by peroa, 31 January 2013 - 14:54.

#10 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:54

This is the eighth year of the chrome/red livery. Before that we had 10 years of silver/black West livery, 22 years as a white/red Marlboro package, six years in orange.

That was just for information. I don't see any reason to change the livery.

Edited by dau, 31 January 2013 - 14:56.

#11 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:56

Posted Image

look at this picture and maybe you'll get your answer..

#12 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:57

This is the eighth year of the chrome/red livery. Before that we had 10 years of silver/black West livery, 22 years as a white/red Marlboro package, six years in orange.

That was just for information. I don't see any reason to change the livery.

I do: the other ones looked good (for me that´s it) even after all these years.

#13 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:59

Posted Image

:up: Thanks for that man, really cool. I find the 2006 first try miles better than the next ones, same over there?

#14 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:59

Posted Image

Thanks for that, I must admit i only ever thought the original mclaren was red? :up:

#15 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:02

I do: the other ones looked good (for me that´s it) even after all these years.

Personally, i always found the red/white one pretty boring. Toyota's looked pretty similar but even though they had quite a lot of variation of the patterns every year, people complained about the boring livery every season.

I also just noticed i got my numbers wrong. Counting is hard.

#16 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:03

Personally, i always found the red/white one pretty boring. Toyota's looked pretty similar but even though they had quite a lot of variation of the patterns every year, people complained about the boring livery every season.

Of course this is all subjective mate. Just saying I hope for a change ASAP.

#17 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:08

I suppose once Vodafone leaves them, Then they will consider the new livery to suite a main sponsor. For example if NIKE were to take main sponsorship It could be a full black car with white NIKE swoosh or vice versa. Its Why Ferrari will always be red, as there road cars are usually red ect. Its just marketing

That's not why Ferrari are red.

#18 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,392 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:09

Thanks for that, I must admit i only ever thought the original mclaren was red? :up:

Bruce's first racing car, an Austin Ulster, was indeed red!

Posted Image

Bruce McLaren Trust

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:10

Never been a huge fan of the chrome, but unless a new paint job can add performance I'm not overly fussed.

Advertisement

#20 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:10

sure.
http://static8.origo...mclaren-p13.jpg
http://upload.wikime...Laren_F1_LM.jpg
http://www.autoguide...dition-main.jpg
http://www.allfordmu...laren_canam.jpg
http://www.tuttomcla.....13 orange.jpg
http://www.mclaren.c...ploads/6066.jpg

(if you don't want to click, it is just a bunch of cars who wanted to disagree with Anonymous, by having themselves painted orange, the traditional colour of mclaren)

#21 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,918 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:11

Isn't Ferrari's colour yellow?

#22 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted Image

Love the nose on the MP4/24; reminds me of a MIG 29 :D

#23 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Nothing wrong with chrome. One can't be so whimsical.

#24 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:15

Chrome/red looks amazing in night races.

#25 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:25

Posted Image

(if you don't want to click, it is just a bunch of cars who wanted to disagree with Anonymous, by having themselves painted orange, the traditional colour of mclaren)

Still think it's a shame that livery was never used in a race. I really like it.

Edited by mnmracer, 31 January 2013 - 15:25.

#26 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:26

Not quite. Wiki says chrome....is a chemical element which has the symbol Cr and atomic number 24. It is the first element in Group 6. It is a steely-gray, lustrous, hard metal that takes a high polish and has a high melting point. It is also odorless, tasteless, and malleable.

As far as McLaren is concerned, in recent years yes. But it hasn't always been so. Orange, fag-packet red-and-white and fag-packet grey have also been McLaren colours.

Returning to the OP, although I'm far from being a McLaren fan, the livery does look like a "proper" racing car, and I think they should stick with it.

Edited by 3011969, 31 January 2013 - 15:37.

#27 Harry

Harry

• 182 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:26

:up:

#28 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:27

Personally I hate it. It's way too "glitzy", too "bling" in my opinion. I also think they should leave the silvery/shiny stuff to Mercedes now that they are there. I also hate the Vodafone on it...both the design of the logo and the fact that it's red. Maybe if it was chrome and black...

Even though they stopped the West sponsorship they should have kept the scheme. One of my all time favourite.

I would like to see Merc go to a more "shiny" version, closer to their road cars and McLaren to switch back to a Black+Grey-white with maybe a bit of red.

Edited by EvanRainer, 31 January 2013 - 16:08.

#29 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:35

yeah, their livery more or less evolved around sponsors. this is more than obvious for Marlboro years, and surely there wouldnt have been silver/black for 97 if they hadnt had Merc/Mobil1 on board. West was red/white too but image of Marboro=Mclaren in red/white was too strong, i dont know what was going on at that time but i wouldnt be surprised if both M/West wanted to distinguish themselves from marlboro years, coz apparently it actually works great in that way.

Current chrome is a development of previous silver, and at that time they needed to change livery ie "image" as they departed with West. So chrome is as much maccas own thing as their sponsor/partner thing. I'd rather say both silver/chrome is more Merc thing.

I imagine they will keep chrome as long as they are powered by Merc engine. Merc shudnt be disatisfied about it even if Macca keep beating them coz people still have strong association of Macca-Merc. it's kinda hedge, clever.

#30 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:39

The prancing horse is on a yellow background to denote the city of Modena, but the cars have been red (Rosso Corsa) from the outset.

Love the nose on the MP4/24; reminds me of a MIG 29 :D

Whereas the MP4/21 reminds me of an unfortunate night after too many beers that my g/f was rather disappointed. :)

Edited by 3011969, 31 January 2013 - 15:43.

#31 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:50

The longest period of time was spent in white and red... so why is McLaren Chrome?

#32 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:58

Yup, McLaren is currently chrome. :up:

This point cant be argued.

* If another team used chrome what would you all think of?

Edited by jrg19, 31 January 2013 - 15:59.

#33 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:01

Mclaren (and the vast majority of racing teams) are green, not literally of course but whoever is paying them the largest number of green bills will pretty much dictate the main colours on a livery.

Say GSK sink a load more money into Mclaren for 2014 as a title sponsor and Vodafone don't take up their extension, its not inconceivable that the car will look a little like this or something along these lines -

Posted Image

"its all about the money, money, money..."

#34 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:02

Oh isn't it? Ok why are the ferrari F1 cars red? I wrongly presumed that to be the case, But now i would like to know why :up:

#35 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:04

I thought the chrome was to do with mercedes partnership, But i'm usually wrong lol.

Edited by 0113Greenall, 31 January 2013 - 16:04.

#36 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:11

sure.
http://static8.origo...mclaren-p13.jpg
http://upload.wikime...Laren_F1_LM.jpg
http://www.autoguide...dition-main.jpg
http://www.allfordmu...laren_canam.jpg
http://www.tuttomcla.....13 orange.jpg
http://www.mclaren.c...ploads/6066.jpg

I think what Anon is trying to point out is that Chrome has come to be currently associated with McLaren, i.e. McLaren is Chrome, Chrome is McLaren. It has been for the last 7 seasons and if people think it is a temporary phase well it it just isn't.

#37 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:12

Why did Mclaren ever use orange? I love it - and it seems to return in many of their cars. Any special reason?

#38 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,918 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:13

The prancing horse is on a yellow background to denote the city of Modena, but the cars have been red (Rosso Corsa) from the outset.

Oh that.

#39 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:14

Oh isn't it? Ok why are the ferrari F1 cars red? I wrongly presumed that to be the case, But now i would like to know why :up:

Originally came about because there were national colours for auto racing. Italy was red. Britain was green, hence the British racing green tag.
http://en.wikipedia....o_racing_colors

Advertisement

#40 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:16

I thought the chrome was to do with mercedes partnership, But i'm usually wrong lol.

McLaren's major livery changes have all been due to major partner changes. I.e Marlboro (Red & White), West (Grey & Black), Vodafone (Chrome & Red). Not engine supplier, not Cosworth, not BRM, not TAG, not Honda, not Ford, not Peugeot and not Mercedes-Benz.

Edited by JRizzle86, 31 January 2013 - 16:18.

#41 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 1,293 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:16

I like the chrome on McLaren, but the red part is ugly for me.

#42 Ragingjamaican

Ragingjamaican

• 1,001 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:19

It is getting quite boring.

The only chrome one's I liked, where the 2006 and 2007 ones, after 2007 they've changed it and it's just been the same year after year.

Before with the Marlboro, at least they changed the sponsors while the main part of the livery stayed the same, West was just West and unique. The chrome however, is not to my liking anymore.

Everyone has their own tastes, some will like it, some won't.

If BMW stayed in the sport, they would have had the same style of livery, same with Toyota like Ferrari do, but theirs is more understandable as it's their colours.

McLaren's will probably change once they get a new sponsor, in saying that though, they didn't change the chrome from 2006 to 2007 when Vodafone came on board.

#43 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:21

The garage and team wear seems to be black and white and has done for a few years now - been rather hoping the cars would follow this after Mercedes left. The chrome is nice - and looks good in the flesh so to speak, but I keep thinking 'sliver arrow' everytime someone mentions it - McLaren really need to move on from being a works Mercedes team now that Mercedes actually have a works team.

#44 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:23

The chrome is an evolution of the silver from the west days and the Mercedes partnership. If they continue with Mercedes beyond this season we will still have chrome, only with the new title sponsorship colours integrated.

#45 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:24

Nobody else noticed the McLaren paint scheme is the same as their logo?

Posted Image

#46 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:32

The chrome is an evolution of the silver from the west days and the Mercedes partnership. If they continue with Mercedes beyond this season we will still have chrome, only with the new title sponsorship colours integrated.

Google MP4-10.

#47 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:35

Google MP4-10.

And whom were they sponsored by at that point and years and years before.

Why didn't they just have the black and white of west?

Was it due to Mercedes partnership that they changed the middle of the car to silver, which evolved into chrome?

#48 crbassassin

crbassassin

• 441 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:40

Why don't someone send McLaren an email asking them whether chrome is their "official" color or not?

#49 morrino

morrino

• 240 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 17:12

I really like the chrome. But is the red Vodafone logo that ruins it. Just look at the first version of the chrome liveries:

Posted Image

#50 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 17:52

Posted Image

Didn't the silver livery start as an homage to the silver arrows and Mercedes? After that they just made it a bit more chrome and shiny and added the red to accommodate the new sponsor. The ugly Vodaphone red just killed it IMO (same as when Ferrari changed from their traditional red to the clearer Vodaphone red). But now with Mercedes having their own team there's no reason to continue with the chrome. Maybe they'll change it when Mercedes leaves as engine partner.

Now, which cars are the ones DC wasted?