* * - - - 1 votes

Caterham F1 - 2013

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#101 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,355 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 18:41

What sponsor does Pic bring to Caterham?

Advertisement

#102 Red17

Red17

• 3,306 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 19:08

10th spot :smoking:

#103 awizul

awizul

• 64 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:44

Renault engine & anything associate with France..

#104 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,569 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:50

Legadere is Pic's personal sponsor. It's his family's company.
Frankly I don't see Caterham beating marussia this year, although Pic's experience might give them a short term advantage.

#105 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:13

Legadere is Pic's personal sponsor. It's his family's company.
Frankly I don't see Caterham beating marussia this year, although Pic's experience might give them a short term advantage.

Donno if it is the case, but it does looks like the ambition of this team is shrunk down to keeping tenth position at the WCC from going up the ladder.
Most definitively I should not expect them to up on 9th this year.

#106 Red17

Red17

• 3,306 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:18

Donno if it is the case, but it does looks like the ambition of this team is shrunk down to keeping tenth position at the WCC from going up the ladder.
Most definitively I should not expect them to up on 9th this year.

If a revamp took place then it's realistic to say people went out and new people came in. The impact could take some months to be seen. If im not mistaken the new car is scheduled for the european leg.
So yes, troubled waters in the first part of the season.

#107 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:20

If a revamp took place then it's realistic to say people went out and new people came in. The impact could take some months to be seen. If im not mistaken the new car is scheduled for the european leg.
So yes, troubled waters in the first part of the season.

Good marketing excuses every time. I am at a loss why could team prevent from such trouble up taking place. Should just aim for 8th. that is all there is to say. Two drivers to stay. Period. All excuse of easing gas.

In the mean time: http://en.espnf1.com...ory/100961.html

Edited by One, 18 February 2013 - 20:22.

#108 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 877 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:24

What has lotus got to do with caterham?

And not a new car Red. just an aero update. The proper teams will have one before melbourne.

#109 Red17

Red17

• 3,306 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:33

And not a new car Red. just an aero update. The proper teams will have one before melbourne.

I suspect it's the real CT03. The current one is too similar to the CT02 to say it's a new one.

#110 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:35

Good .... Was in competition... now not anymore not even on the grid...

#111 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,597 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:31

I suspect it's the real CT03. The current one is too similar to the CT02 to say it's a new one.

CT01, the CT 02 is a road car project :)

#112 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,569 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:21

Caterham's present approach of simply aiming to secure tenth spot is a risky game. But for a bit of luck that strategy would have failed last year. Can they really afford to lose €15.illion from dropping column 2 revenues?
Their car does not look like it's seen a windtunnel. It looks like the team has been distracted by perfecting a coanda exhaust rather than producing a respomsive platform.

#113 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,582 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:59

Caterham's present approach of simply aiming to secure tenth spot is a risky game. But for a bit of luck that strategy would have failed last year. Can they really afford to lose €15.illion from dropping column 2 revenues?
Their car does not look like it's seen a windtunnel. It looks like the team has been distracted by perfecting a coanda exhaust rather than producing a respomsive platform.

That's my impression of the car too. The front end treatment looks incredibly basic, almost like a toy.

#114 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 729 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:20

Caterham's present approach of simply aiming to secure tenth spot is a risky game.

Well, looks like a pretty good bet to me.

With no HRT, they have to only worry about Marrussia, who to beat Caterham have to try to get KERS working with their engine - if you think back to how the well funded teams at the front of the grid struggled their first year with KERS, Marrussia have quite a challenge ahead of them...

#115 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 16:09

I wish great adventure of Caterham, but this is the second day that Marussia outpaces Caterham.

#116 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 729 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 16:39

I wish great adventure of Caterham, but this is the second day that Marussia outpaces Caterham.

Have a look at what they were up to - Caterham put in 100+ laps working on tires in the morning and aero this afternoon. Marussia went out at the end of the day and did a one lap glory run - that was more than 3 seconds off the pace :)

So looking at today's lap times, you say Oh Noes, Marrussia is faster.
I say, hmmm look at the Caterham tyre degradation on the long runs....

:)

#117 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,569 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 16:51

Well, looks like a pretty good bet to me.

With no HRT, they have to only worry about Marrussia, who to beat Caterham have to try to get KERS working with their engine - if you think back to how the well funded teams at the front of the grid struggled their first year with KERS, Marrussia have quite a challenge ahead of them...

Granted Marussia are running KERS for the first time, but its a KERS system on its third iteration, so the basic kinks in the system should be ironed out. I would expect someone of Pat Symonds' experience to get the installation right from the get go. The tenth place battle is going to be as tight as a tick and you can quote me on that.

Edited by Petroltorque, 20 February 2013 - 16:52.

#118 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:11

Have a look at what they were up to - Caterham put in 100+ laps working on tires in the morning and aero this afternoon. Marussia went out at the end of the day and did a one lap glory run - that was more than 3 seconds off the pace :)

So looking at today's lap times, you say Oh Noes, Marrussia is faster.
I say, hmmm look at the Caterham tyre degradation on the long runs....

:)

I C.

When do we see the real pace, you think?

#119 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 729 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:31

The tenth place battle is going to be as tight as a tick and you can quote me on that.

That might come back to haunt you:)

But I hope you are right, or it is gonna be a long boring season for Caterham fans otherwise...

Advertisement

#120 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 19:46

Not a bad day. 102 laps.

Early days regarding pace. Expectation is so low this season, I will be happy just to see Caterham run the track and fight with the Marussia. :kiss:

#121 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:47

They won't be fighting Marussia, they'll be too far back!

All alone, by themselves. :rotfl:

#122 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:53

Caterham not running for times while Marussia on short low fuel run, yet still only 1s quicker.

You better pray they (Marussia) sandbag and Caterham lie in their comments.

I have a soft spot for backmarkers and slow cars. Reason is weak teams need
support while big strong teams don't. So I hope it won't happen for either team.

But in all honesty, I support Caterham (main team) much more than Marussia.

There will always be a favorite, unfortunately. Good luck to yours.

Edited by CatInTheBag, 21 February 2013 - 08:00.

#123 FordFan

FordFan

• 3,422 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:53

Caterham not running for times while Marussia on short low fuel run, yet still only 1s quicker.

Well, Caterham's best time today was their best of the test, and a one-lapper at the end of the session. If one lap runs are evidence of a low fuel run, then Caterham are indeed a second behind. Even today, Marussia did a two lap stint with both in the 1:25s, which is quicker than anything Caterham have done.

Tires make a difference, and we don't know for sure about fuel. While I don't think Marussia is a full second quicker, they are a lot quicker than they were at this time last year, relative to Caterham. Should be an interesting battle.

#124 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:58

Van der Garde had to stop the car supposedly with a technical problem right after setting that time, so we don't really know if it was a one-lapper. They certainly don't look fast though.

Edited by dau, 21 February 2013 - 17:01.

#125 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 17:46

Finding rear stability is today's main agenda. No indication of low fuel run. No KERS in the afternoon.

Edited by CatInTheBag, 21 February 2013 - 17:47.

#126 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 17:57

Well, Caterham's best time today was their best of the test, and a one-lapper at the end of the session. If one lap runs are evidence of a low fuel run, then Caterham are indeed a second behind. Even today, Marussia did a two lap stint with both in the 1:25s, which is quicker than anything Caterham have done.

Nope.

I was basing on Max Chilton's comments on short runs and he did managed one quick lap, while Caterham wasn't focusng on laptimes. If you read
my earlier comments, you'd have seen "early days regarding pace".

It was in respond to someone here regarding Caterham being too far back.  ;)

#127 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 729 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 18:18

Van der Garde had to stop the car supposedly with a technical problem right after setting that time, so we don't really know if it was a one-lapper. They certainly don't look fast though.

Doubt it was a glory run - no KERS:)

#128 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,569 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 20:12

From trackside Gary Anderson described the car as ill handling with a lack of compliance. I suspect this car is a lemon. If the chassis lacks compliance that suggests a mechanical issue and those usually don't have straightforward solutions.

#129 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:35

Lemon or not, still remains to be seen.

Pirelli's severe drop off had a hand in this, and most of the teams had difficulty after a few laps. That said,
Caterham did mentioned rear instability and probably that made it look even more difficult.

In context, Caterham this year is looking to race only Marussia, so not too worried about comparison with
midfield teams like Toro Rosso and co., which people like Gary Anderson may have them compared to.

I'm sure Marussia fans will insist the CT-03 is a lemon and shall be far back. I can really understand why.

But why not wait after the 1st race, and make your voice even louder when the truth is out.

#130 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,569 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:01

You don't need to wait till the first race to pass a judgement on the cars. The reason that teams choose Barcelona as it puts most emphasis on aero and mechanical grip.
There's a fundamental problem with the technical structure at Caterham. Mark Smith's pedigree as a designer has always been in question.

#131 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:17

Then you are cleverer than Webber.

http://www.f1zone.ne...ng-order/17845/

Good luck to your team.

#132 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,569 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:56

Correct me if I'm wrong but Webber's statements related to the pecking order at the FRONT of the grid.
The most difficult task in F1 is to make a slow car quick, doubly so on a limited budget.
Caterham's approach of limited development combined with 2 pay drivers will keep them afloat this year since they bring more money than column 2 payouts.
I should point out that my opinion on Caterham is not coloured by support of any rival team but from an interest in the design and engineering.

#133 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:52

Correct me if I'm wrong but Webber's statements related to the pecking order at the FRONT of the grid.
The most difficult task in F1 is to make a slow car quick, doubly so on a limited budget.
Caterham's approach of limited development combined with 2 pay drivers will keep them afloat this year since they bring more money than column 2 payouts.
I should point out that my opinion on Caterham is not coloured by support of any rival team but from an interest in the design and engineering.

Nope.

There must be something you don't like about the team.

Point me to a previous post of yours that you praised the team about something. Even as little as, the colors look good, or that Caterham guest model
is hot. :lol:

#134 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 729 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:44

Give it a rest CINB, petroltorque has as much right to post his opinions on this thread as anyone else...

Through I would say that writing off the CT03 based on Gary Anderson's analysis is amusing:)

From trackside Gary Anderson described the car as ill handling with a lack of compliance. I suspect this car is a lemon. If the chassis lacks compliance that suggests a mechanical issue and those usually don't have straightforward solutions.

I doubt that the car has a fundamental mechanical issue as it didn't last year :lol:

Meanwhile, I'm easy to keep happy:
http://www.youtube.c...c...=youtu.be
Spot the 7 in the build bay:)

#135 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 906 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 16:38

Give it a rest CINB, petroltorque has as much right to post his opinions on this thread as anyone else...

Through I would say that writing off the CT03 based on Gary Anderson's analysis is amusing:)

I doubt that the car has a fundamental mechanical issue as it didn't last year :lol:

Meanwhile, I'm easy to keep happy:
http://www.youtube.c...c...=youtu.be
Spot the 7 in the build bay:)

Is that a road car, or a single seat racer?

#136 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 729 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 19:19

Is that a road car, or a single seat racer?

Got a screen and doors, so road.

#137 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:52

Just read from another thread that Heikki will be having a seat fitting with Marussia tonight, and may test for them on Day 4.

Interesting development. Would be great to see Heikki/Marussia vs Pic/Caterham.

Jolt me up a bit for the season ahead.

#138 LHKEAT

LHKEAT

• 25 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:39

That would be great. Both teams swap drivers for new season championship. i believe Heikki in Marrusia rumour is only for 1st few races then will be replaced by pay drivers. Unless Razia sponsors pay their team money then Razia will continue back as their 2nd driver or perhaps their nation local hero Petrov will be in the team which is good for the Russian market and 2014 new Russian race debut sure they need a Russian driver in a Russian team.

#139 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:45

That would be great. Both teams swap drivers for new season championship. i believe Heikki in Marrusia rumour is only for 1st few races then will be replaced by pay drivers. Unless Razia sponsors pay their team money then Razia will continue back as their 2nd driver or perhaps their nation local hero Petrov will be in the team which is good for the Russian market and 2014 new Russian race debut sure they need a Russian driver in a Russian team.

Indeed.

But in the meantime, Caterham has removed their controversial exhaust for this test. Do they have a plan B ?
If not, then is it wrong decision making yet again, for this team ?

http://www.yallaf1.c...llegal-exhaust/

Advertisement

#140 teejay

teejay

• 3,594 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:33

I have a soft spot for Caterham - but how can they get it so wrong.

#141 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 18:19

Not to mention that Ma Qing Hua guy being confirmed at Caterham. Will be hard for them to even get a podium this year, I guess.

#142 Fondmetal

Fondmetal

• 146 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 18:45

Not to mention that Ma Qing Hua guy being confirmed at Caterham. Will be hard for them to even get a podium this year, I guess.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Ma_Qinghua

This guy has not achieved anything and he is a reserve driver.. formula 1 is in a sorry state with a big bunch of drivers including Max Chilton who has got in due to the size of their fathers or sponsors wallets!

#143 FordFan

FordFan

• 3,422 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 18:49

Having gone through a fair bit of testing, if Caterham are quicker than Marussia, they sure are doing a good job of hiding it.

#144 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 18:49

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Ma_Qinghua

This guy has not achieved anything and he is a reserve driver.. formula 1 is in a sorry state with a big bunch of drivers including Max Chilton who has got in due to the size of their fathers or sponsors wallets!

money money money money money money....

#145 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,569 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:16

Having gone through a fair bit of testing, if Caterham are quicker than Marussia, they sure are doing a good job of hiding it.

If you look at the data from all the test days, even ignoring wet days, Marussia are clearly faster than Caterham. The benchmark has been further raised now that Marussia have signed Bianchi, a rapid but erratic driver.
Caterham's problem is their technical structure. Any design team that has designed a car as bad as this certainly won't get it right next year when a turbo/ERS power train will require major changes in packaging and internal dynamics of the chassis.

#146 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,589 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:43

If you look at the data from all the test days, even ignoring wet days, Marussia are clearly faster than Caterham. The benchmark has been further raised now that Marussia have signed Bianchi, a rapid but erratic driver.
Caterham's problem is their technical structure. Any design team that has designed a car as bad as this certainly won't get it right next year when a turbo/ERS power train will require major changes in packaging and internal dynamics of the chassis.

The question is (and other posters have confirmed this): has Caterham at all invested money and time and engineering in this car? More and more I get the feeling that the bosses of Caterham see this year as a transition year. Get the money from the sponsors of Chilton and Van der Garde, use a slightly adapted car for 2013 and this start designing for next year - with new rules and soforth.

#147 awizul

awizul

• 64 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:05

The question is (and other posters have confirmed this): has Caterham at all invested money and time and engineering in this car? More and more I get the feeling that the bosses of Caterham see this year as a transition year. Get the money from the sponsors of Chilton and Van der Garde, use a slightly adapted car for 2013 and this start designing for next year - with new rules and soforth.

U must me talking about Charles Pic rather than Chilton here. Me thinking d same too. This testing is more of acclimation of the two new drivers with the car & the team. So just one eye to pre-season testing & 1st few fly-away races, however as anticipated by Scarbs here, expect major updates comes May 13 on this track (Catalunya) & hope it works for God sake!!! ):

#148 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 729 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:23

The question is (and other posters have confirmed this): has Caterham at all invested money and time and engineering in this car? More and more I get the feeling that the bosses of Caterham see this year as a transition year.

:up:

Especially when you have other teams coming out with things like this:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105732

Williams has promised to bring upgrades to every Formula 1 grand prix in 2013

So just one eye to pre-season testing & 1st few fly-away races, however as anticipated by Scarbs here, expect major updates comes May 13 on this track (Catalunya) & hope it works for God sake!!! ):

Which might be make or break for the team for the next few years - have they ever brought an wind tunnel developed upgrade to the track that behaved as they expected?

Some good info here on the sensors they are running on the car during testing:

#149 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 14:41

That's what it looks like, but i'm not sure they'd want to risk ending up 11th for that. Also, i'm not sold on Marussia being faster yet. Chilton's long runs in Jerez were horribly slow.

#150 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 14:49

Cyril's take on this year's target.

“It may not sound very exciting, but the main target for this year is to make sure we now fully understand and control our development and manufacturing processes.”

“Accurately predicting and measuring the level of performance we expect on track will mean that we have grown and become a reliable technical group."

" Obviously, an expression of that should be a clear trend of a reduction of the gap to the midfield over the course of the season,
but I am keen to get this done with style and within reason, with one eye always on the longer-term plans.” :yawnface:

We shall see.

As awizul pointed out, its time we see some results*. At the least, improvements from the new upgrades.