* * - - - 1 votes

Caterham F1 - 2013

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#201 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,258 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 22:38

This is what happens when you get rid of good drivers and your rivals bag one!

Advertisement

#202 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,882 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 22:47

Caterham is set to announce a new Chinese sponsor in the China GP. ma will drive in free practice. Hopefully he's better than Fairuz Fauzy.

As far as I can work out, Ma's best result in his entire career is a 7th place in a Spanish Formula 3 race. If they give him a race, not only will he be the absolute least qualified driver ever to attempt to qualify, but his chances of making the 107% cut-off would be similar to mine. If I were walking.

#203 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 723 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 23:59

This is what happens when you get rid of good drivers and your rivals bag one!

With the slowest car in the field, a KERS failure and a puncture, I'm not sure last years drivers would have fared any better:)

#204 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,468 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:13

I don't see Fernandes allowing the situation at Caterham to drag on long before he shakes up the management. Pootling around far off the pack won't attract or please sponsors.

#205 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:31

As far as I can work out, Ma's best result in his entire career is a 7th place in a Spanish Formula 3 race. If they give him a race, not only will he be the absolute least qualified driver ever to attempt to qualify, but his chances of making the 107% cut-off would be similar to mine. If I were walking.

:) so much enthusiasm for our new fella, Ma.

If Caterham give him race, that would be quite alarming decision. At the moment, he's guaranteed free practice sessions. But who knows ?

Cyril said they want to do it with style from now on.

#206 tormave

tormave

• 899 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:09

With the slowest car in the field, a KERS failure and a puncture, I'm not sure last years drivers would have fared any better:)

That many techical faults in one race was the norm last year too. It's the same car.

#207 tormave

tormave

• 899 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:12

I don't see Fernandes allowing the situation at Caterham to drag on long before he shakes up the management. Pootling around far off the pack won't attract or please sponsors.

Don't you think he would know how little money the team has to spend? They basically only have one sponsor, and it's him.

#208 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,468 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:04

Don't you think he would know how little money the team has to spend? They basically only have one sponsor, and it's him.

I accept that. But if he's funding the team he'll want the best possible return on his investment. You can only run an outfit as a passenger team if its always guaranteed to finish within tenth position Caterham's budget is rumoured to be similar to Sauber's. For that level Caterham's performance is woeful.

Edited by Petroltorque, 18 March 2013 - 08:06.

#209 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:20

That many techical faults in one race was the norm last year too. It's the same car.

Shame to start the car with the failed mechanisms.

#210 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 723 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:19

Can't really call a puncture a technical fault, nor blame the team for a KERS issue in a race that had a RB with the same unit sitting on the grid with no KERS.

#211 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:52

Malaysian GP.

Quite satisfying race for me. Team looks happy. Wait for Bahrain GP where they'll prep the first of the upgrades for the car.

#212 dau

dau

• 4,511 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:03

They need to find about six tenths to compete with Marussia. That's not out of reach, provided the updates work for a change.

#213 awizul

awizul

• 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:06

Malaysian GP.

Quite satisfying race for me. Team looks happy. Wait for Bahrain GP where they'll prep the first of the upgrades for the car.

Me too, they're quite strong in inters. Was there & cheering 4 them :wave: Can't wait for Bahrain(?) for the 1st upgrades & Barcelona & shut up the noisy neighbor :cool:

#214 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:17

Race pace Pic is pretty quick, comparable to Bianchi, if not even quicker. After the last pitstop, while he was in front of GvdG, he was told to save the car.

Qualifying, and setting quickest laptimes, doesn't tell much of the story. Raceday is where it counts.

Marussia with KERS and new car, is slow too.**  ;)

#215 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:26

Me too, they're quite strong in inters. Was there & cheering 4 them :wave: Can't wait for Bahrain(?) for the 1st upgrades & Barcelona & shut up the noisy neighbor :cool:

:lol: You've got to let them bask in the glory once in a while as well.

Their (Marussia) race pace disappointed me in Malaysia, to be honest. I thought they would be a lot quicker based on the decibel levels emanating from somewhere.

Edited by CatInTheBag, 24 March 2013 - 14:27.

#216 TudorMiron

TudorMiron

• 211 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:52

11th place this year.

#217 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 15:54

Malaysian GP.

The pace looked similar to be honest. Pic's strategy was ruined by Vergne, so we will never know the true form. But it does look like Australia's pace was not carried over to Malaysia.

#218 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,468 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 16:24

Race pace Pic is pretty quick, comparable to Bianchi, if not even quicker. After the last pitstop, while he was in front of GvdG, he was told to save the car.

Qualifying, and setting quickest laptimes, doesn't tell much of the story. Raceday is where it counts.

Marussia with KERS and new car, is slow too.** ;)

I think your interpretation of gap to Marussia is mistaken. Pic's pace was no where near Bianchi's when both were in clear air. Van Der Garde succeeded in destroying Bianchi's race by bottling him up at the start, thus forcing Bianchi to lap 1s/lap slower than he was capable.
What's not in doubt is that Bianchi was only 0.5s outside of Q2. If I had to put money on it I would expect the gap between these 2 teams to increase as the season progresses simply because Pat Symonds is head and shoulders above anyone in Caterham's operation.

#219 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 16:31

The pace looked similar to be honest. Pic's strategy was ruined by Vergne, so we will never know the true form. But it does look like Australia's pace was not carried over to Malaysia.

Let's get rid of China, and see how it goes from Bahrain onwards.

Here's a quote from Caterham, and I hope its not empty promises, as we've come so used to, being a Caterham fan ...

"Malaysia 2013 is DONE! It's been a rollercoaster week - decent Friday, really strong FP3, work to do in quali and another two car finish...
and without Toro Rosso releasing Jev straight into Charles' path in his first stop who knows where we'd have finished. One more race with the hybrid car,
then it'll start to get very interesting indeed...."

Good luck team.

Advertisement

#220 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,468 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 16:41

Here's a quote from Caterham, and I hope its not empty promises, as we've come so used to, being a Caterham fan ...

"Malaysia 2013 is DONE! It's been a rollercoaster week - decent Friday, really strong FP3, work to do in quali and another two car finish...
and without Toro Rosso releasing Jev straight into Charles' path in his first stop who knows where we'd have finished. One more race with the hybrid car,

Good luck team.

Look at the en.maclaren website in 24 hours. They give a head to head comparison of all drivers during the race.

#221 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:11

Good luck team.

Hmmm... Does that mean they are pushing the real CT03 ahead of Spain? Because they were on the record that their season starts in Europe.

#222 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:26

Hmmm... Does that mean they are pushing the real CT03 ahead of Spain? Because they were on the record that their season starts in Europe.

Quote from Cyril;

"We have strategies that will make the car evolve according to different packages, the first of which will come in Bahrain."

#223 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,468 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:23

They need to find about six tenths to compete with Marussia. That's not out of reach, provided the updates work for a change.

But as you know any performance target is relative as all competitors will have developments, so to get on par they need 6 tenths PLUS whatever improvement Marussia achieve. Personally I think the task is too big for them. It's extremely difficult to make a bad car competitive. I think it will be a season dicing with Chilton but Bianchi will be doing the damage.

#224 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,882 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:04

They could just sign Alonso. Job done.

#225 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 846 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:09

Sound like they planned to bring their real 2013 car to Barcelona, but because they are behind Marussia on pace, they will either bring some interim parts to Bahrain, or have managed to move most of the new cart parts up by a number of weeks.

#226 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:21

They could just sign Alonso. Job done.

Fernando had brother? Or his syster?

OK, jokes aside, I have this FEELING...

Caterham will NEVER attain attention of drivers of ANY ambition. why?:

1. They let Heikki do and make him believe that he can grow together. When time comes The team purge Heikki blame him for asking money and consequently the team falls apart and the team still thinks that the race was 'quite satisfactory'. Truly this team is a laughing stock.
2. Driver who had no seat available for 2013 choose not to race for Caterham.
3. Caterham now only on the grid to collect money, not to race.

MOre can be listred, but it is quite useless. This team is over as the racing team. Thius team is about collecting money from the rich kids.

#227 awizul

awizul

• 63 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:33

Not too/extremely/devastating/end of the world/(whateva-hatred-word-ppl-may-use) considering CT03 is just an interim car.. :lol: :rotfl: :lol:

Posted Image

#228 dau

dau

• 4,511 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:13

But as you know any performance target is relative as all competitors will have developments, so to get on par they need 6 tenths PLUS whatever improvement Marussia achieve. Personally I think the task is too big for them. It's extremely difficult to make a bad car competitive. I think it will be a season dicing with Chilton but Bianchi will be doing the damage.

At last year's Malaysian GP, Marussia trailed Caterham by 40s and we all know how that turned out at the end of the season.

#229 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 13:19

Not too/extremely/devastating/end of the world/(whateva-hatred-word-ppl-may-use) considering CT03 is just an interim car.. :lol: :rotfl: :lol:

Posted Image

What would be a good year for you, awizul ?

I know you got on pretty well with your crash course language lessons for the team in Malaysia. :wave:

#230 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:55

I dunno. I think Kovalainen could be back next year. This year they are talking all money they get

New rules and cars are their best chance to midfield

#231 sesku

sesku

• 281 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 16:18

I dunno. I think Kovalainen could be back next year. This year they are talking all money they get

Maybe, He was there at Malaysia GP as Tony Fernandes VIP guest. It showed that he still have a good relationship with Tony at least.

#232 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,468 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 17:18

On the contrary new rules result with the widest field spread with the possibility of one team getting it right and dominating the sport. The problem for Caterham is the technical team are not very good. Yes Iley worked with Ferrari and McLaren but the car was being designed by Byrne and Coughlan respectively.

#233 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 481 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 00:52

Just read on EspnF1, Alex Rossi gets FP1 in Bahrain. :up:

#234 awizul

awizul

• 63 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 15:08

What would be a good year for you, awizul ?

I know you got on pretty well with your crash course language lessons for the team in Malaysia. :wave:

Owh.. U noticed that too tweeple! :lol: May my good year starts in Barcelona if not Sakhir.. Heard a lot of positives news from the latest team home video, wondering how much would they gain :drunk:

#235 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,428 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 17:32

Just read on EspnF1, Alex Rossi gets FP1 in Bahrain. :up:

The only decent driver in their lineup, IMO.

#236 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:24

China GP 2013

Race is where it counts. Really strong race from Pic and Caterham.

Can't wait for Bahrain and Spain.

#237 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 635 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:53

Very good race pace by Pic. Just like in Malaysia. And Bianchi and Pic were less than 20 seconds behind Maldonado.

#238 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:09

At the moment, it looks like Heikki will test the new parts in Bahrain. Probably in both free practice. :drunk:

#239 silencer

silencer

• 85 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:30

At the moment, it looks like Heikki will test the new parts in Bahrain. Probably in both free practice. :drunk:

if that the case; they better give Heikki a run for the whole weekend. It seems make no sense if they give heikki the whole friday session and let their main driver to do just one practice session before qualifying session.

Advertisement

#240 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 635 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:08

Fernandez's teams - QPR and Caterham not doing well.

I began to wonder if he managed to hold these teams much longer.

Edited by Reinmuster, 16 April 2013 - 04:09.

#241 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 723 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:22

if that the case; they better give Heikki a run for the whole weekend. It seems make no sense if they give heikki the whole friday session and let their main driver to do just one practice session before qualifying session.

Contractual I guess, can't just take a drivers drive - saying that there are likely to be performance targets in the contracts...

Heikki's idea of Friday testing is to drive the wheels off the car, so it could be an uncomfortable weekend for the two drivers:)

#242 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,451 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 14:15

Maybe he will drive for Vd Garde in FP1 and Pic in FP2? So both race drivers get two FP's :S

#243 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,158 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 15:14

is that so? there is nothing in finnish press at all...well one site wrote that Fernandez is planning somekind of role for Heikki but that's all there has been.

#244 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 17:47

is that so? there is nothing in finnish press at all...well one site wrote that Fernandez is planning somekind of role for Heikki but that's all there has been.

It was a rumor circulating in the paddock. Saw a couple of reports in China but that's all.

Hard to say, if it will happen in Bahrain, but I think at some time, it probably will.

#245 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,158 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 21:03

It was a rumor circulating in the paddock. Saw a couple of reports in China but that's all.

Hard to say, if it will happen in Bahrain, but I think at some time, it probably will.

Thanks, hopefully you are right and I think there is a big possibility that it will happend eventually.

#246 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 21:07

Thanks, hopefully you are right and I think there is a big possibility that it will happend eventually.

They had Ma in the car. Can't be that worse to have Heiki now.

#247 K-One

K-One

• 5,898 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:39

Official

http://www.caterhamf...-up-restructure

#248 Rentta

Rentta

• 285 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:40

Jon Noble Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1
Heikki Kovalainen to drive for Caterham in FP1 in Bahrain and Spain.

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Interesting. @H_Kovalainen becomes Caterham reserve driver - will do FP1 in Bahrain and Spain.

So not a rumour anymore

Edit: Slow

Edited by Rentta, 17 April 2013 - 06:41.

#249 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 723 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:22

Official

http://www.caterhamf...-up-restructure

And Rossi taking Ma Qing Hua's GP2 seat!

So 2014 line up, Heikki and Rossi:)

#250 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,815 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:23

Great news. Bianchi's performance has absolutely humiliated Caterham and if they don't do anything to catch up - Marussia might comfortably have a firm grip on the lucrative 10th position by mid-season.