Caterham F1 - 2013

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#301 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 17:19

Here's some info regarding the recent updates (tech blog by CS);

1) sidepod vanes curved over the top and join with the sidepods like RB and Sauber.
- the sidepod roof is to improve air passing through the panel for a better flow to the rear

2) nose cone has a bulge at the underside
- for weight I think, to make it heavier ?

3) trimmed rear end plates
- ??

Caterham will come out with a B-spec car for Spain.

Advertisement

#302 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,908 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 17:36

Actually he's saying that it IS easy to solve.

I don't know what engineering principles Kovalainen is studying but finding the right balance is not easy. Its dependent on enough intrinsic setup adjustment in the car. If you don't it's difficult to solve with a fixed weight distribution and moderate aero overlay.
As I stated earlier each car's performance will vary with each track. China favoured Caterham as it front tyre loaded and as their chassis eats its rears they found a favourable balance.

Edited by Petroltorque, 20 April 2013 - 17:36.

#303 awizul

awizul

• 64 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 17:47

GvD : I think I can play an important role in the race tomorrow on a track that we're clearly looking okay on."

Playing 'Rear Gunner' for CP!

#304 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 18:13

Giedo van der Guard :lol:

#305 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 18:32

I don't know what engineering principles Kovalainen is studying but finding the right balance is not easy. Its dependent on enough intrinsic setup adjustment in the car. If you don't it's difficult to solve with a fixed weight distribution and moderate aero overlay.
As I stated earlier each car's performance will vary with each track. China favoured Caterham as it front tyre loaded and as their chassis eats its rears they found a favourable balance.

China didn't suit them. Bahrain seems to suit them.

#306 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 19:24

1) sidepod vanes curved over the top and join with the sidepods like RB and Sauber.
- the sidepod roof is to improve air passing through the panel for a better flow to the rear

- ??

What is coming for Barcelona?

#307 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 19:39

Good job Caterham. Let's hope they can finally join the midfield with the Barcelona update, they need 1 second, but all the others will find time too...

#308 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 21:13

Good job Caterham. Let's hope they can finally join the midfield with the Barcelona update, they need 1 second, but all the others will find time too...

He?

#309 awizul

awizul

• 64 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:38

- ??

View from another angle, the bulge is more visible compared to the previous "sharp" nose cone

Posted Image

#310 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:31

Notice the trimmed rear end plates ?

Before
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

#311 hippie

hippie

• 286 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:29

Ted Kravitz said yesterday in his Sky Sports "qualifying notebook" that Caterham expects the upgrades in Pic's car to be worth about half a second.

#312 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:44

Brought back to earth. Make sense too, when you consider GvdG just over 1s slower in q. And usually he's a couple of tenths slower.

I was teasing a bit regarding the 2s from the few parts alone.  ;)

#313 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 13:42

Very very encouraging.

Caterham & Pic :up:

#314 LHKEAT

LHKEAT

• 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 14:56

Great race by Pic & Caterham. The pace is good and matching the lower class of midfield teams.

hahaha Marrusia(s) is no match for this green machine.

Edited by LHKEAT, 21 April 2013 - 14:56.

#315 SamH123

SamH123

• 1,303 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 15:19

It doesn't feel like it is going to be long before Caterham can claim lower midfield
Good stuff to beat a Sauber today

#316 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 15:39

Hmm, good result today from Caterham. Congratulations on the working upgrades.

#317 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 1,053 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 15:39

Half second improvement eh... Rather impressive :)

#318 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 15:59

Team in managing expectation mode.

More upgrades on the way for Spain. Its going to be flowing from there on.

Important is 10th place first, also for 2014.

Edited by CatInTheBag, 21 April 2013 - 16:02.

#319 LHKEAT

LHKEAT

• 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 17:19

It doesn't feel like it is going to be long before Caterham can claim lower midfield
Good stuff to beat a Sauber today

Only for today race and i never claimed Caterham to be a lower midfield but yet to be at that level. just mentioned Pic race is matching the pace of the lower midfield in the race. Anyway, a big smile for the team. Congrats

This what Pic said about his race.
" bla bla bka.......As the fuel levels dropped the deg levels increased a little but it wasn’t an issue. I was keeping pace with Ricciardo just ahead, and keeping Gutierrez behind me and we decided to stay out after the third stop so I did a very long stint on the hard tyres, 21 laps, and brought it home in 17th. I’m really pleased with how close we finished to the Toro Rosso ahead, and the fact we kept a Sauber behind - maybe if I’d been slightly further up the road after the start we could have beaten Ricciardo, but we can take this performance as a good step and look forward to what’s coming next in Spain.”

Edited by LHKEAT, 21 April 2013 - 17:19.

Advertisement

#320 SonJR

SonJR

• 186 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 17:48

Good to see them making a step with their updates, but I hope it holds up when all the other teams bring their Barcelona-upgrades, seeing as Caterham pulled (part of) their update package forward and are now perhaps kinda out of synch in the development race.

#321 awizul

awizul

• 64 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:58

A pleasurable weekend, being able to out-qualified 'd noisy neighbor' d whole race weekend :wave: & able to 'eat' one of the Saubers :clap: (for wateva reason). At 1 point, PIC was 3s or less in catching up with RIC till I think PIC changed his mode to 'cruise' mode towards the last stint & still in control with GUT. :drunk:

Hopefully more to come with more comprehensive upgrade in Barcelona with HK on it to evaluate. Let's see how much further he can extract from the new FULL package. :cool:

Something to share here on the updates from F1Technical

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by awizul, 22 April 2013 - 07:08.

#322 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 14:33

Caterham filming day at Magny Cours

Posted Image

#323 LHKEAT

LHKEAT

• 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 15:13

Posted Image

No more stepped nose??!!

#324 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 745 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 16:42

No more stepped nose??!!

A vanity panel I guess, but for photo's only or does that mean that the nose at the last race will be used just the once???

And why would Heikki be in the car for a filming day???

Curious...

#325 Red17

Red17

• 3,447 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 16:53

Curious...

You do realise that they do more than just filming right? That's why these days fall under the testing rules. Last year Caterham stayed 1 day more in pre-season testing for filming since they had skipped day 1.

#326 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 17:10

heikki's rule can't be just testing , they have to give him van der garde's race seat

#327 sesku

sesku

• 285 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 18:49

Curious...

Err..I think that is Alexander Rossi Helmet. :confused:

#328 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 20:27

Aren't you only allowed to run a car/parts that have been raced during filming days?

Can you do straightline testing at Magny Course?

Edited by F.M., 01 May 2013 - 20:28.

#329 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 745 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 21:04

Err..I think that is Alexander Rossi Helmet. :confused:

Sorry, I was going by HK's twitter:

https://twitter.com/...625322557431809

Challenging weather today at Magny Cours for some F1 running but we managed to get everything done. Now drive home, around 350km steady pace

:lol:

You do realise that they do more than just filming right? That's why these days fall under the testing rules.

Unless things have changed recently they have to run with 'demonstration' tyres, with oddball tyres and pouring rain I'm not sure what they would learn at Magny Cours - might have more to do with a certain French car manufacturer:)

#330 Red17

Red17

• 3,447 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 21:29

Aren't you only allowed to run a car/parts that have been raced during filming days?

Unless they ran the GP2 car the photo clearly shows a diferent nose. Should be an interesting point to discuss if the vanity panel is a proper part or not.

Can you do straightline testing at Magny Course?

The straightline test will be done in Idiada as stated in the linked article.

Unless things have changed recently they have to run with 'demonstration' tyres, with oddball tyres and pouring rain I'm not sure what they would learn at Magny Cours - might have more to do with a certain French car manufacturer:)

At this point I think tyre type is the least of the issues and the car certainly needs to cacth up.

#331 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:25

A vanity panel I guess, but for photo's only or does that mean that the nose at the last race will be used just the once???

Curious...

I'm curious too.
Why does the omission of the stepped nose immediately conclude with vanity panel?
Is it totally impossible that the step could be done away with by a complete re-profile of the nose cone bodywork?

#332 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 745 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:51

I'm curious too.
Why does the omission of the stepped nose immediately conclude with vanity panel?
Is it totally impossible that the step could be done away with by a complete re-profile of the nose cone bodywork?

The lower profile looks similar to what was run at the last race - well as much as you can tell from the few images:) Presumably the upper surface of that nose was at the legal height, so new additional height would be a panel. But on the other hand the team have bigger issues, why would they spend time on the visuals....

#333 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:24

Vanity panel besides aesthetics, is weight. New car probably requires a shift in weight distribution, very generally speaking.

The bulbous nose in Bahrain I believe, is for that as well.

#334 Red17

Red17

• 3,447 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 18:15

Vanity panel besides aesthetics, is weight. New car probably requires a shift in weight distribution, very generally speaking.

Now that you mention it... wasnt Caterham saying the panels added too much weight and would be gone by Oz?

#335 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:31

Now that you mention it... wasnt Caterham saying the panels added too much weight and would be gone by Oz?

Did Caterham say that ? I thought it was Lotus.

Perhaps not for the old car, this is a B-spec car. And its for all to see in front of our eyes - bulbous nose, vanity panel, which all add weight.

Perhaps underneath those, contain high density standard ballast as well. Just pure speculation on my part. I could be wrong.

#336 Red17

Red17

• 3,447 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 18:30

Did Caterham say that ? I thought it was Lotus.

Lotus was busy talking about the exhausts
This is what Caterham said earlier, not that is bad. It's always a big step forward to admit you followed the wrong path.
http://www.f1reader....ity-panel-66646

#337 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 18:49

Lotus was busy talking about the exhausts
This is what Caterham said earlier, not that is bad. It's always a big step forward to admit you followed the wrong path.
http://www.f1reader....ity-panel-66646

Appreciate the link. Here's a quote from it;

"The thing is it is extra weight," said Abiteboul. "Let's face reality: we cannot afford the luxury right now to add extra weight on to the car. We will see later in the season."

Not only have they adopted the vanity panel, but they have managed to add even more weight to the nose section as well. Good or bad ?

#338 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 19:13

No. If they wanted to change the weight distribution, they'd just add ballast to the front wing. Usually tungsten slabs mounted as low as possible to not raise the CoG.

http://scarbsf1.com/...t-wing-ballast/

But that point is moot anyway, weight distribution is largely fixed for this year.

#339 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 19:47

No. If they wanted to change the weight distribution, they'd just add ballast to the front wing. Usually tungsten slabs mounted as low as possible to not raise the CoG.

http://scarbsf1.com/...t-wing-ballast/

But that point is moot anyway, weight distribution is largely fixed for this year.

They still have a couple of kgs to play with, I think. Not too sure.

Advertisement

#340 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:24

Alright, here's the exact figure. Minimum weight 642 kg. Weight distribution is 292-343 kg front-rear. So they have
exactly 7 kg to play with.  ;)

Cyril added it is a luxury? to add weight to the front. So does that mean the car is so good now, that not only have they
added a panel, they increased mass to the nose as well ?

Edited by CatInTheBag, 04 May 2013 - 05:25.

#341 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:41

The bulge under the nose and the panel are there only for aerodynamic reasons, not to increase the weight at the front. They will never add unnecessary weight at such a high point. If they want more weight at the front, they will put ballast in the FW's main plane.

#342 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:06

The bulge under the nose and the panel are there only for aerodynamic reasons, not to increase the weight at the front. They will never add unnecessary weight at such a high point. If they want more weight at the front, they will put ballast in the FW's main plane.

Actually they did, but for safety reasons they imposed a weight limit to the nose.

Anyway, the point is, they still have 7kg to play with.

Where and how, I only speculate. I could be wrong as I said.

#343 Red17

Red17

• 3,447 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 21:29

http://www.f1reader....039-s-039-72663
Heiki working on his full time return?

#344 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 17:11

"Then at some point, I think it was at the Australian Grand Prix in qualifying when the weather was quite tricky, I sent a message to Tony and said 'I would have been in Q2,' and then we started discussions about it again and he said 'would you like to come and test our car'."

some hope he would be in a race seat in monaco

#345 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:44

"Now that our production facility is finally up and running in Leafield, we are in position to have new parts coming at every race this year, a program we’re managing efficiently alongside the 2014 new car project."

http://hosted-p0.vre...ef8da78/ARCHIVE

Let's hope this will bring more effective growth for the team.

#346 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:28

http://motorsport.ne...690779494_n.jpg

More updates in this teaser
http://www.youtube.c...p;v=c6tA4tDWC4A

A vortex generator (or a flow conditioner?) under the mirrors + more winglets around the rear wheels

Posted Image

Pre-bahrain spec
http://i78.servimg.c...26/04871010.jpg

Beam wing (left)

Posted Image

And it seems the Barcelona updates include new turning-vanes under the nose too. Like Ferrari last year, Caterham extended the slit you can see on each vane. Now the TV are completely split..

Posted Image

old ones
https://imageshack.u...5536/caterx.jpg

New FW

Posted Image

Edited by Alburaq, 09 May 2013 - 13:29.

#347 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:09

Pls keep us informed if you find any other updates later. Thanks.

#348 Red17

Red17

• 3,447 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 00:03

Reading the quotes from the site makes me think they have found good balance right out of the box. (yes I know, just a lame tactic to lure Jenson)
Hoping for good things tomorrow.

#349 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:27

70% of the car is new. So I think they're going to need time to fully optimize the car. Spain may not see the best of it.

ct-03 gearbox
Posted Image

twin element airflow conditioner
Posted Image

small vane under wing mirror
Posted Image

CT-03 New Front Wing
Posted Image

Edited by CatInTheBag, 11 May 2013 - 07:35.

#350 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 87 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:54

On a less important note. I think the car with the changes has matured into a very handsome machine.