* * * * - 6 votes

Mercedes W04 Launch

• Please log in to reply
1002 replies to this topic

#601 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,444 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:16

They should have launched it in a bierkeller, then at least they could all have got pissed when it all went wrong...

Advertisement

#602 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:16

whats with the shark like fin??

#603 MinT

MinT

• 2,010 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:43

You would at least think we could rely on Lewis to tweet some photos of the car that he took last week.....

#604 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 545 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:55

W05? :confused: :confused: :confused:

#605 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:16

You would at least think we could rely on Lewis to tweet some photos of the car that he took last week.....

I know we are all throwing in jokes...but that one's wearing thin now. Almost as repetitives as the "felipe, Alonso is faster than you"

#606 pRy

pRy

• 10,856 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:05

So i'm lost.. the door is open, now what? I thought that was supposed to reveal something that didn't require the use of photoshop? What has been the point?

#607 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,813 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:12

So i'm lost.. the door is open, now what? I thought that was supposed to reveal something that didn't require the use of photoshop? What has been the point?

The door has to yet to fully open, and by the looks of things it seems the spotlight on the cockpit will probably expand to encompass the rest of the car when it finally does.

#608 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:19

Doesn't look anything different. I liked the blade hoop idea.

#609 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,503 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:21

They should rename this beast the Sisyphus.

#610 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:23

When will launch start? I am lost...

#611 MinT

MinT

• 2,010 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:24

I think they are struggling to get it started - might need a push out into the daylight.

#612 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:25

Tomorrow morning

#613 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,813 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:26

The official launch will be on Monday, this is just Mercedes lowering expectations.

#614 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:35

The official launch will be on Monday, this is just Mercedes lowering expectations.

I wouldn't think they were too high, at least not visually. The W03 had pace originally. If they iron out the suspension-related tyre handling problems, and do not fail with the exhaust solution they go for, the W04 should be a decent car. That should mean in itself that the car, though aero-wise an evolution, is pretty much new in terms of design. I am very-very interested in the exhaust solution on the W04. That is the area that makes or brakes this car, IMHO.

#615 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:40

The car's finally lighting up, this was a great concept, just very poor execution.

#616 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:44

The car's finally lighting up, this was a great concept, just very poor execution.

it's like they would make that site in php... But indeed concept was great, but they failed sadly
On the car related note. I still prefered the car with chopped rear wing and top than atm :( disappoitment. I thought that they will go something new :p

#617 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:45

I agree. But actually, it's been working fine for the majority of the time. The first few hours were just a complete failure.

#618 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:46

problem solved:
Posted Image

can someone summarize what went wrong?

Too many trolls here

#619 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,031 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:47

It'd be quicker to list what went right.

Advertisement

#620 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,867 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:50

It'd be quicker to list what went right.

Indeed - be a very short list.

#621 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:51

can someone summarize what went wrong?

Too many trolls here

Basically for the first few hours of it starting the website was down.

#622 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:52

Basically for the first few hours of it starting the website was down.

thats all? I mean why are the user exploding here?

#623 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:54

I agree. But actually, it's been working fine for the majority of the time. The first few hours were just a complete failure.

This^^

Apart from the 4 hours they were down yesterday, its been working fine. The confusion originated from some people expecting it to be - and treating it as - a launch. Which it was not, and never intended to be. It was in fact pretty entertaining though.

#624 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 896 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:55

For some reason, people thought the car was being launched, when all was offered was a sneaky pic, that would be revealed over time if they got enough tweets. Cue everyone tweeting and visiting the website which crashes for 6 hours and then reveals a lovely black screen with a tiny pic of the new car.

The launch is tommorow. I have no idea why people thought this was it.

#625 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:55

mass hysteria.

#626 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:04

Many didn't seem to understand that the event would take place between 4pm yesterday and the official launch tomorrow. So the car would not be fully visible until the required number of tweets was met. The anger was mainly due to impatience.

Edited by JonathanProc, 03 February 2013 - 17:04.

#627 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,031 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:07

That ignores that it didn't do what they stated it would. There's impatience and there's things not working for SEVERAL hours.

#628 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:08

That ignores that it didn't do what they stated it would. There's impatience and there's things not working for SEVERAL hours.

What did they say it would do?

#629 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,031 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:11

Well for a start the tweeting seemed to do nothing but bring Daimler to its knees.

#630 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:13

mass hysteria.

NO. Their tweet is sending the wrong messages the whole time.

MERCEDES AMG F1 ‏@MercedesAMGF1
Guys thank you all for your patience #bestfansinf1 The reveal is now back up and online, it's a case of best-laid plans and all that...

#631 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:13

Well for a start the tweeting seemed to do nothing but bring Daimler to its knees.

Well, that is nothing new as has been touched upon a few posts upward. That is 4 hours delay, and it did not exactly hurt in terms of results. what else?

#632 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,031 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:15

Do you work in their IT department or get morning wood from an attempt to be contrarian? As a PR exercise it was a joke. And the thread was actually pretty well humoured. If you want to see a riot, check out the Red Bull launch.

#633 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:19

What I'm saying is that the website crash hasn't actually stopped us from seeing the car any sooner.

#634 P123

P123

• 8,140 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:27

It's nothing to get excited about anyway. An evolution of the 2012 car, like every car revealed so far. This topic though has been a step ahead of the other car launch topics.

#635 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:31

Do you work in their IT department or get morning wood from an attempt to be contrarian? As a PR exercise it was a joke. And the thread was actually pretty well humoured. If you want to see a riot, check out the Red Bull launch.

? What riot? They got overloaded heavily, they did not anticipate the level of interest they generated. So what? You said:

"That ignores that it didn't do what they stated it would"

This is what they said:

"Fans of the team will be able to dictate the pace of the F1 W04 online reveal by posting on Twitter using the hashtag #F1W04Reveal.
Each tweet will trigger the opening of a garage door on our website, behind which is hiding the new F1 W04. And the faster you retweet it, the faster the car will be revealed. So the more you tweet, the more you’ll see!
To be a part of this exclusive online reveal, simply visit our website, www.mercedes-amg-f1.com and our Twitter account, www.twitter.com/mercedesamgf1 from Saturday, 16:00 (GMT)."

Apart from it crashing, and coming back only several hours later, that is exactly what it is doing, and it is still doing it.

Now if that makes me a 'contrarian', I can live with that.

#636 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,031 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:33

Uhm, people were mainly complaining that it didn't work as scheduled. No one can claim that it went off as planned. And in the end a lot of people were let down by what was actually revealed, even amongst those that knew it wasn't a full launch.

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 03 February 2013 - 17:33.

#637 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:36

Uhm, people were mainly complaining that it didn't work as scheduled. No one can claim that it went off as planned. And in the end a lot of people were let down by what was actually revealed, even amongst those that knew it wasn't a full launch.

No one claimed it went off as it planned?
Were? was? It is not finished yet. So is that impatience after all?

#638 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,922 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:38

problem solved:
Posted Image

Unless the bodywork/floor ahead of the rear tyres is really clear (doesn't look to be), then this car doesn't look like much of an improvement. I'll wait for the official pics with better lighting, but its not a radical change.

Edited by F1Champion, 03 February 2013 - 17:39.

#639 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,031 posts

True, the door has a notch or two to go to be fully open...

Advertisement

#640 study

study

• 2,452 posts

I'd rather they did something for the fans and fail rather then like Redbull and treat them with disdain.

#641 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,274 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:41

Lets keep it real .... this has been lame beyond belief

I'm with the guy who withdrew his support from Merc and got flamed for it.... I fully understand how he feels.

I'm a Macca fan ... because under Ron Dennis certain types of crap simply could not happen... was hoping that Merc would at least be a return to first principles after having to endure 4 years of media centric crap under Whitmarsh.

They need to understand that they have LH... the biggest media draw in F1. They dont need to do anything else. The most they need to do is to hire a media guy to keep him on message... send him out to do the odd demo/event and that's all that's needed on the PR side (as far as the team is concerned).... Merc the corporation may have other ideas but they need a winning car first - so that can be put on hold for the time being.

Edited by jjcale, 03 February 2013 - 17:42.

#642 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:42

I'd rather they did something for the fans and fail rather then like Redbull and treat them with disdain.

True, Mercedes concept was good, it's application less so.

#643 Kerch

Kerch

• 1,065 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:46

This would be a lot more suspenseful if it wasn't guaranteed to look like last year's car.

#644 P123

P123

• 8,140 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:48

Lets keep it real .... this has been lame beyond belief

I'm with the guy who withdrew his support from Merc and got flamed for it.... I fully understand how he feels.

I'm a Macca fan ... because under Ron Dennis certain types of crap simply could not happen... was hoping that Merc would at least be a return to first principles after having to endure 4 years of media centric crap under Whitmarsh.

They need to understand that they have LH... the biggest media draw in F1. They dont need to do anything else. The most they need to do is to hire a media guy to keep him on message... send him out to do the odd demo/event and that's all that's needed on the PR side (as far as the team is concerned).... Merc the corporation may have other ideas but they need a winning car first - so that can be put on hold for the time being.

Are we really meant to care that much? The launch has always been Monday, so whatever scraps we are getting thrown are a bonus. F1 and it's teams generally fail when it comes to anything to do with the internet anyway so I didn't have any expectations for this. The only reason to be annoyed would be if you actually sat hitting 'refresh' for several hours. And what we can actually see shows that we're not missing much. Like the rest of the new cars it's a slight evolution of the previous model with the biggest difference being the installation of a little plastic panel to hide the side effect of a poorly written rule.

#645 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 907 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:49

This would be a lot more suspenseful if it wasn't guaranteed to look like last year's car.

This is one of the cars I am personally expecting to look different ironically.

#646 Zava

Zava

• 4,976 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:51

may I present you Dumb Chick:

Posted Image

#647 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:55

Let keep it real .... this has been lame beyond belief

well, it was lame, I kind of treated that as a fact. It was mighty effective in a lame kind of way though. What I do not think though, is that it has any kind of significance, in the way some people here do. There is this 'launch fetish' syndrome floating around here. In terms of the meaning of the word, a new Electrolux vacuum cleaner model is given a better organized launch and exposure than nowadays an F1 car does. I don't really care either. As for Ron Dennis, good luck with that nostalgy. he was a control freak. A guy who sends home some mechs from the airport because they are not shaved or their corporate shirt is wrinkled... Control freaks are effective though. The LH part I would not like to comment on. tuesday is test day. That will be a relief.

#648 Matarese

Matarese

• 68 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:00

I think the reason many are pissed off is because Mercedes have wasted everyones time (their own fans an all) for more than 24 hours and all for internet hits.

They could have easily remedied this when the shit started hitting the fan but they continue to do so for more hits. Its lame, how about they do something for their fans instead of wasting their time and wearing out their F5 key?

#649 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:01

may I present you Dumb Chick:

:rotfl:

Yep, not in an uncertain way either.

#650 nosecone

nosecone

• 761 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:09

I wonder if they reach the amount of tweets they want exactly at 12:30 tomorrow... :rotfl:

(i read that the launch is beginns at 12:30 tomorrow. I dunno if this is correct)

Edited by nosecone, 03 February 2013 - 18:09.