Obscure race photos

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 20:21

http://www.ghezzaban...file/index.html

Fluff-free - take a look at racing in Eritrea...

DCN

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 20:55

Great find :up:

Now just have to work out the chassis numbers...

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 13:19

A nice lot of Specials in there...

Quite an interesting find!

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,950 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 13:39

Very interesting - also interesting they had races when Eritrea was under a British mandate. The paradox that it would have been easier for a British driver to enter a British race around the streets of Asmara than Ashbourne...

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:26

Not a "race photo" as such, but a circuit and certainly obscure! It's said that Cecil Clutton was the last person to drive a complete lap of Brooklands in the summer of 1940 - although there only seems to be anecdotal evidence of that. However - could this be the last "pre-war" film taken of a car traversing the Brooklands Test Hill, banking and Railway Straight? I found this purely by chance on the British Pathé site - it's silent, unedited and undated (although indexed as 1940) and was never shown in cinemas.

The gas-converted car is a Flying Standard Fourteen - note the distinctive suicide doors for rear passengers, which distinguish it from the Twelve. From the look of the trees I'd estimate that this film dates from February or March 1940: there is another canister of unshown footage of General Gamelin at Aldershot, which is similarly numbered and seems to date from the same time. That visit was on March 29th.

http://www.britishpa.../gas-driven-car

#6 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:59

Love the train!

#7 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 562 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:09

There must be a great wealth of colonial motorsport stuff that has barely seen the light of day and there is a lot of history there to be dug up. The 'dominions' are quite well covered but not the 'colonies' not just British but French, Portugese and doubtless others.

I was going to add a link to a heap of Southern Rhodesia 1950's motorsport press cuttings but it has all vanished. All I can do is add a link to my own collection of Cooper-oriented downloads from that site and hope it is of interest.

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Edited by tsrwright, 06 February 2013 - 09:20.

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:32

Wow!

DCN

#9 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 562 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:54

There was heaps more like that but the photo-hosting site was taken over and everything discarded late last year. All gone. Which makes me wonder about TNF. Is it archived? Could it all be lost?

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:07

Pics on TNF are all hosted outside...

Many, after the promotion by bira, were led to Imageshack to host their images. Others rely on Photobucket, some even on Tinypic, while still others have their own hosting (which might come with their ISP plan or they buy it elsewhere).

At one stage these forums provided 10mb of hosting for members with some history here, I had used that but then it was dropped and I transferred all those pics to my ISP's hosting. But a recent change in my ISP's arrangements means that they have actually lost these.

I still have the pics... on a hard drive I can't access at the moment. When I recover them I will do something about some of them, but in the meantime if there's any of my pics don't come up on the posts where they should (click on 'reply' next to 'quote' and you'll find the filename of the pic) let me know and I'll try to remember to put it back up.

#11 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:13

Yes, TNF could all be lost. Because you now have to be logged in to see TNF, it isn't indexed by Google nor is it archived by archive.org. So if at some point threads are deleted, there would be no means to get to them.

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 20:43

Originally posted by Allen Brown
.....Because you now have to be logged in to see TNF, it isn't indexed by Google nor is it archived by archive.org. So if at some point threads are deleted, there would be no means to get to them.

Only the Paddock Club, surely?

#13 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 562 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:49

It would be terrible if all this stuff was lost, even the fluff, which in 50 years time will be just as important as the 'non fluff' (is that the term?).

I know the Australian National Library selectively archives website but I don't know on what basis.

I take it TNF is British based so maybe the British Library should be asked if they can or will do it?

Perhaps one of our moderators could follow that through - or even call in?

#14 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 16:24

Just another sad African loss...Congo, Angola, Mozambique at al.