Photo

GT40 buried at Sebring?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:18

Whilst browsing a Historic aircraft forum about buried B-17 bombers i came across this:-

`From what the S.I.R. track manager told me, around 11 B-17's or B-17 parts were dumped in that feild, but were pulled out a short time later due to the sod farm.

The 2 B-17's still buried at the airport are, like I said, still there. Along with a Ford GT40 for any car buff's here.

Right now i'm working on a list of other aircraft crashes all over Florida from different types of aircraft, and they might still be where they crashed... Btw, cooper, there are alot of P-40's on the list `

Anyone here know about this and can identify the car and the reason for it`s buriel, i am assuming someone lost their life in it?............Martin

Advertisement

#2 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:01

It is said that the remains of Bob McLean's GT40 are buried at Sebring. He was killed in the 1966 12-hour race.

I don't know where and didn't know about the aeroplanes.

#3 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:27

Ok thanks for that, did a search on his name and it brought up this...........

http://www.flickr.co...lli/5473632011/

........Martin

#4 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:50

Ok thanks for that, did a search on his name and it brought up this...........

http://www.flickr.co...lli/5473632011/

........Martin

Just done the same - there is a comment saying it was buried at the landfill...

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:58

There does appear to be some doubt about the burial story. There are rumours that the car has been reconstructed or replicated, and is possibly now in France:

http://gt40.net/gt40...rs/gt40-p-1000/

http://saacforum.com...p?topic=12626.0

http://thegarageblog...e-buried-gt-40/

(WARNING: the last two links contain photos of the McLean accident)

#6 TEJ

TEJ

• 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 21:05

Whilst browsing a Historic aircraft forum about buried B-17 bombers i came across this:-

`From what the S.I.R. track manager told me, around 11 B-17's or B-17 parts were dumped in that feild, but were pulled out a short time later due to the sod farm.

The 2 B-17's still buried at the airport are, like I said, still there. Along with a Ford GT40 for any car buff's here.

Right now i'm working on a list of other aircraft crashes all over Florida from different types of aircraft, and they might still be where they crashed... Btw, cooper, there are alot of P-40's on the list `

Anyone here know about this and can identify the car and the reason for it`s buriel, i am assuming someone lost their life in it?............Martin

Bob McLean, the 1965 Canadian driving champion was retained by the Comstock Racing Team to participate in an all Canadian attack on the major endurance races of 1966. Comstock had the support of Ford of Canada and had two GT40s, CN 1037 that they owned and CN 1000 on loan from Ford Advanced Vehicles UK. Tragically McLean crashed and was killed at the first event, Sebring. Circumstances of the crash were never completely verified but I believe he was overcome by fuel vapours building up in the cockpit. Anyway, the car went off track, hit a bump, hit a pole and burst into flames. The car had just been refueled and the fierce fire that ensued was beyond the (contraversial) ability of the safety workers.

A few years ago I looked into this story in some detail as part of a submission of McLean's name forward for a sports hall of fame here in Vancouver (McLeans home town when he died in 1966). I pretty much verified that the remains of the car were buried at or near the Sebring municipal works yard by the Comstock team after they stripped all of the useable bits off it. As far as I know the remains are still there.

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:04

...and there they should remain.

DCN

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:58

And anyone claiming to have the car now should be with them?

It doesn't mention here which car was destroyed...

#9 TEJ

TEJ

• 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 23:29

And anyone claiming to have the car now should be with them?

It doesn't mention here which car was destroyed...

Chassis number 1000 was destruyed

#10 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 00:04

DCN

That says it all.

#11 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:23

DCN

HEAR,HEAR.......R.I.P.

#12 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:35

Chassis number 1000 was destruyed

Jack up the ID plate, or replicate it and presto a brand new 'restored' motor car. Sad that a fatality is involved also.
Too many cars around like that.

#13 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:46

Jack up the ID plate, or replicate it and presto a brand new 'restored' motor car. Sad that a fatality is involved also.
Too many cars around like that.

Why bother digging up the original? It's only a small piece of metal with numbers stamped on it, identical to another [genuine] one except for the numbers. Probably the easiest part of the car to 're-create'