Photo

RAC Rally 1955

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 15:56

The March 1955 RAC Rally was won by Jimmy Ray and Brian Horrocks in their Standard Ten.
I've recently been told that the rally was in fact won by Frank Grounds in a Jaguar XK120 [ Number 148 ] but he was disqualified as his XK120, originally an open car and converted to a coupe, didn't have the wooden dash that a Jaguar FHC should have had.
Can anybody verify this story ?
Posted Image
Jaguar XK 120 LOE 3 - RAC Rally 1955 Goodwood - Frank Grounds - XK is now Fixed Head

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 16:25

No mention of that in the Motor Sport report.
Since it does tell us that the Ray/Horrocks Standard Ten had twin carbs, I feel that shows that some deviation from totally standard was not forbidden.

#3 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 16:49

No mention of that in the Motor Sport report.
Since it does tell us that the Ray/Horrocks Standard Ten had twin carbs, I feel that shows that some deviation from totally standard was not forbidden.

Allan, thanks for looking this up for me. As you say twin carbs make more of a difference than a hunk of wood !
Did you notice any mention of XK120 LOE 3 ?

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:02

Did you notice any mention of XK120 LOE 3 ?

It's a narrative report without any table of results and the only mention of Jaguar is that Hewitt made best time at the Cadwell Park test in one (oh and that Appleyard was not in a Jaguar but an MG)

#5 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:05

Autosport says that Grounds, leading his class by 800 marks, was disqualified, apparently for having a non-standard facia panel and wrong door dimensions.

#6 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:08

Something else I've just noticed.
In the picture posted above the XK has standard rear wings. Now look at this picture and you see it has cut off rear wings. The rear wheels are also different to the 1st photo and are fitted with 'Town and Country' type tyres. Some changes must have been made during the event.
Posted Image
Jaguar XK120 LOE 3 - RAC Rally 1955 Hastings - Frank Grounds & Jack Hay

#7 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:11

Roger - you've found it - Thanks for taking the trouble.
So the story I've been told is correct.

#8 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 481 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:32

Roger - you've found it - Thanks for taking the trouble.
So the story I've been told is correct.

Correct in as much as Grounds would have won his class if not disqualified.

From the entry list (in Autocar) Grounds was entered in class 7. Winner of class 7 was LS Stross/KF Ponting (Jaguar) with 2,431.4 marks lost. So as Grounds was leading his class by over 800 marks he must have lost around 1600.

Rally winners Ray and Horrocks lost only 258.1 marks.

#9 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:35

Thanks Pete, so he lost out on a class win not overall win.
Appreciated.

#10 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:49

Correct in as much as Grounds would have won his class if not disqualified.

From the entry list (in Autocar) Grounds was entered in class 7. Winner of class 7 was LS Stross/KF Ponting (Jaguar) with 2,431.4 marks lost. So as Grounds was leading his class by over 800 marks he must have lost around 1600.

Rally winners Ray and Horrocks lost only 258.1 marks.

Thanks for this info Pete. I was at school with Stross's son [Bilton Grange nr Rugby] and remember going out in his dad's Jaguar, an XK140 I think.

Edited by threespires, 05 February 2013 - 18:04.

#11 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 18:13

I have more photo's of LOE 3 ( and other Jaguars ) in competition here.
Also find a short video of a ride I had in NUB 120 last year.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjiaJtBR

Thank you everybody for taking the time to research this for me.

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 18:54

Fascinating photos, threespires. Would it be reasonable to assume that Frank and Lola Grounds were your parents?

#13 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:50

Hello Tim, yes correct..

#14 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 481 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 17:34

Thanks for this info Pete.

You're welcome. :)

To add a little on the background regarding eligibility, the entries fell into three categories:
Series Production Touring cars
Grand Touring and Modified Series Production Touring Cars
Series Production Sports cars
which were further subdivided by engine capacity

The Ray/Horrocks Standard & Grounds/Hay Jaguar were both in the Grand Touring and Modified Series Production Touring Cars category, the Standard in class 5 (upto 1300cc) and the Jaguar in class 7 (over 2600cc).

The Autosport report also mentions that “Lola Grounds/Doreen Reece inverted their modified Anglia near Glascwm, on a slippery downhill slope later referred to as the ‘Cresta Run’” but were uninjured.

Edited by Pete Stowe, 06 February 2013 - 17:35.

#15 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:18

Hello Pete.

That's something I didn't know.

Her next event just a few weeks later would have been the Tulip in a TR2, which I believe she also crashed, crushing the front wing into the tyre.

She must have replaced the Anglia with a Prefect as she drove one in the '56 RAC.
In 1957 she changed from years of driving 100E's to a Minor 1000 reg LOL 1, also doing some events for Standard Triumph.

This is, I presume, scrutineering for 1955 RAC. Lola and Doreen.
Thanks for your text which I've taken the liberty to add..

Posted Image
Ford Anglia - RAC Rally 1955 - Lola Grounds Doreen Reece by Rally Pix, on Flickr

#16 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:23

Of passing interest, if not relevant to the original question:

A Jaguar coupe was driven by D A Hewitt and Bernard Ecclestone.

#17 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:29

I was at school with Stross's son [Bilton Grange nr Rugby] and remember going out in his dad's Jaguar, an XK140 I think.

Was he Christopher O.M. Stross by any chance? If so he and I were apprentices at de Havilland at the same time! If not, no matter (and no surprise).

#18 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:49

Was he Christopher O.M. Stross by any chance? If so he and I were apprentices at de Havilland at the same time! If not, no matter (and no surprise).

You're taxing my brain now, First names weren't used !
I think he was from Yorkshire

Edited by threespires, 06 February 2013 - 19:13.

#19 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:53

Of passing interest, if not relevant to the original question:

A Jaguar coupe was driven by D A Hewitt and Bernard Ecclestone.

One must assume it's the same one ?

Advertisement

#20 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 19:39

Listed as B. C. Ecclestone, to narrow it down!

#21 AAGR

AAGR

• 397 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 16:01

Anorak's corner alert ....

The 1955 RAC rally winning co-driver was Brian Harrocks, not Brian Horrocks. That mistake has been made many times in the past. How do I know ? I actually met Mr Harrocks many years later, and he wasn't a bit put out by the continuous mis-use of his name ....

AAGR

#22 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 16:40

You're taxing my brain now, First names weren't used !
I think he was from Yorkshire

In which case it was probably "Chippy" Stross, a well known regular and highly regarded competitor at Harewood, etc. ISTR him in a Porsche in the early/mid 60s. Steve Wilkinson will probably fill in the details....
Roger Lund

edit.
Found a picture on the Harewood website, always a place for a quick nostalge for those of us of a certain age and locale..
http://www.harewoodh...r...4&setYear=0

Edited by bradbury west, 11 February 2013 - 16:45.

#23 Jagjon

Jagjon

• 147 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:22

The March 1955 RAC Rally was won by Jimmy Ray and Brian Horrocks in their Standard Ten.
I've recently been told that the rally was in fact won by Frank Grounds in a Jaguar XK120 [ Number 148 ] but he was disqualified as his XK120, originally an open car and converted to a coupe, didn't have the wooden dash that a Jaguar FHC should have had.
Can anybody verify this story ?
Posted Image
Jaguar XK 120 LOE 3 - RAC Rally 1955 Goodwood - Frank Grounds - XK is now Fixed Head

When I owned LOE3 years ago & in the early 1970's I went to see Frank Grounds, amongst the stories he did tell me that he had won the RAC & they were disqualified because the car did not satisfy regulations as his company had converted a roadster to a fixed head by fitting the fixed head roof panel but everything else like doors, dashboard was as per a roadster. This was something to do with a change in classes ie sports to saloon.
He was an interesting guy with lots to add about various little mods they did back in the day, such as the cut away rear wings were so that they did not dig into the bank & he could slide the car further, things like the mirror for judging position during driving tests & so on.
He also said that none of the XK drivers had much chance against Appleyard due to it being works prepared & drivers did suggest to Appleyard they swopped cars sometimes.

#24 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:26

When I owned LOE3 years ago & in the early 1970's I went to see Frank Grounds, amongst the stories he did tell me that he had won the RAC & they were disqualified because the car did not satisfy regulations as his company had converted a roadster to a fixed head by fitting the fixed head roof panel but everything else like doors, dashboard was as per a roadster. This was something to do with a change in classes ie sports to saloon.
He was an interesting guy with lots to add about various little mods they did back in the day, such as the cut away rear wings were so that they did not dig into the bank & he could slide the car further, things like the mirror for judging position during driving tests & so on.
He also said that none of the XK drivers had much chance against Appleyard due to it being works prepared & drivers did suggest to Appleyard they swopped cars sometimes.

I'm so glad you found this post following on from the info you gave me last year.
Thanks to forum members, now we know the whole story which is nice.
Sorry I missed you in Llandudno last year, I received a message that you were about but I was tied up with rally duties at the time.
Maybe this June we can try again.

#25 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:27

In which case it was probably "Chippy" Stross, a well known regular and highly regarded competitor at Harewood, etc. ISTR him in a Porsche in the early/mid 60s. Steve Wilkinson will probably fill in the details....
Roger Lund

edit.
Found a picture on the Harewood website, always a place for a quick nostalge for those of us of a certain age and locale..
http://www.harewoodh...r...4&setYear=0

Chippy Stross, thanks for the reminder..

#26 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 17:54

Pete
Any chance of scanning the entry list and posting here?
Thanks in advance
Rob

#27 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 18:51

It looks as if Pete is no longer active on TNF :confused:

Anyone else supply the Autocar (or other) entry list?

Rob

Edited by Rob Ryder, 12 July 2014 - 18:51.