Photo

Roger Penske article

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cedricselzer

cedricselzer

• 116 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:13

I read an article about Roger Penske a few months ago which may have been in Motorsport. I am abroad at the moment and do not have access to any of my magazines. I hope someone out there can help me with the date of the publication.
Thanks. Cedric Selzer

Advertisement

#2 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,089 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 15:42

Perhaps the "Lunch With" feature in the August 2010 issue:

Posted Image

#3 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:35

Gordon Kirby had a feature on RP too, though that was April 2008 - so neither of those were really a few months ago...

Edited by 2F-001, 08 February 2013 - 16:35.

#4 cedricselzer

cedricselzer

• 116 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:38

Thanks folks. You have been a great help.
Cedric Selzer

#5 oldtransamdriver

oldtransamdriver

• 228 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:05

There is an article on Roger on the CRG discusion forum site "Trans-Am Camaros" I think on page 2 - Roger Penske - a modern major general - written by Leon Mandel way "back in the day"- most interesting.

Robert Barg

#6 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,089 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:34

There is an article on Roger on the CRG discusion forum site "Trans-Am Camaros" I think on page 2 - Roger Penske - a modern major general - written by Leon Mandel way "back in the day"- most interesting.

Robert Barg

I've seen that before. It is an excellent portrait of the young Penske. I really enjoyed Mandel's writing style too.

#7 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:09

Most of you probably know this but Mr Penske is now one of the world's largest car dealers. He has many dealerships in the USA ( mostly non US brands despite his personal loyalty to Detroit ) and in the Uk he owns the Ferrrari concession and Synter BMW among others.

He sells $1 Billion a month worth of cars!

http://www.penskeautomotive.com/

He also owns Scottsdale Bugatti.

#8 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 16:33

in the Uk he owns the Ferrrari concession and Synter BMW among others.

As I understand it, the famous Maranello Concessionaires is now one of his holdings.
Tom

#9 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:40

From the days that Roger Penske didn't have any money, does anybody know more about the background of John M. Wyatt III, who entered and may have sponsored/owned Penske's 1960 and 1961 competition cars?

#10 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 18:54

Regarding John Wyatt, here is what they say in a Penske interview (by Jerry McNamara) in Road & Track, May 1962:

"Since his last three cars (the Maserati, the Cooper Monaco, and the F-1 Cooper) were bought outright from the factory, I boldly asked him just where all his money came from and what kind of budget he raced on. 'Actually, the money comes from two sources. I'm fortunate enough to have as a friend John M. Wyatt III, of Richmond, Va who not only acts as sort of business manager, but also helps finance some of my racing expenses....My expenses over a years time amount to well over $10,000, not including car purchases. Now here (as he brought out a sheaf of papers with neatly totaled columns) is how my expenses run. All the money I get is turned over to Johyn Wyatt, who takes care of all the book work and pays all the expenses. I don't see any of the money.' In view of the foregoing, I asked whether he considered racing a business or if he might go into it on this basis in the future. Penske's answer to both questions was an emphatic NO!"

I guess things can change in 50 years....

Edited by JB Miltonian, 10 February 2013 - 19:01.

#11 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,089 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 20:37

I guess things can change in 50 years....

Perhaps not. Towards the end of the last century(!), when Penske Racing was in a bit of a slump, Roger addressed the team and emphasised the fact that Team Penske is in the business of racing... not the racing business. If you weren't there to win, you were in the wrong place. Roger wanted everyone to understand in crystal clear terms that this team was about success on the track as racers - not success in the bank account through being in the racing business. Obviously the team had to make money to support its activities and costs, but that wasn't the raison d'etre for the team's existence. So, I don't think Roger to this day considers racing a business (as in an activity to create profit). All of us would recognise that there are more efficient ways to make money than owning a racing team, and I doubt that anyone can teach RP anything about business.

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 10 February 2013 - 20:39.