Photo
- - - - -

F1 2002 qualifying rules - explain, please.

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:34

Hi!
Can anyone explain to me how qualifying in 2002 worked? I would like to know.
Thanks!

Advertisement

#2 isport

isport

• 52 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:39

Everyone got 12 laps including ins and outs to do in an hour. Fastest lap got pole

Edited by isport, 09 February 2013 - 15:39.

#3 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:47

Everyone got 12 laps to do in an hour. Fastest lap got pole

Ha, I watched in 2002, but I can't remember it.

I presume in and out laps were excluded.

#4 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:49

No, out and in were included. drivers took 3 or 4 runs at setting a time. They started dicking about wiith quali in 2003(4)?

#5 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 1,293 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:50

Don't remeber 2002, was the same 1 hour / 12 laps as in the 90s?

As a result, drivers on soft tyres did 4 attempts (warm up lap, hot lap and in lap for each attempt), and drivers on hard tyres did 3 attempts (warm up lap, 2 hot laps and in lap for attempt). Only one type of tyre could be used (soft or hard).

#6 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:52

No, out and in were included. drivers took 3 or 4 runs at setting a time. They started dicking about wiith quali in 2003(4)?

The reason they changed the format was because nothing would happen in the first 30 minutes or so other than Minardi running around.

#7 prty

prty

• 8,436 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:56

To be honest the current format is the best one there has ever been in my opinion.

#8 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,257 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 15:55

To be honest the current format is the best one there has ever been in my opinion.

I agree. If just there wasn't three much worse teams (now two) Q1 would also be exciting. Towards the end of 2009 there was sometimes big names going out after Q1.

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 15:58

Apart from the start on the tyres you qualified on rule.

#10 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 15:59

Yep the issue with the current one is the lack of quality at the back of the grid, Q1 is rarely worth it as you know right away the the cars that are going to be at the back, maybe they should increase the numbers in the drops.

#11 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 16:40

i would still go with the best lap from four training sessions. "qualifying" is just a fake means to sell tv ads.

#12 pup

pup

• 2,614 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 16:46

I still prefer the 1-hour do-what-you-want format. Unlike most, I enjoyed the anticipation of waiting for the top teams to go out and actually getting to see the smaller teams do their runs since they were the only guys on track in the early part of the hour. The whole thing seemed much more suspenseful back then, at least to me.

Interestingly, there was a heck of a lot less whining from drivers about getting blocked by slower drivers even though the track was more crowded than downtown London in the final minutes.

I liked the current format for the first few seasons, but then it just got boring to me. Now I fast forward through the entire 1st session and most of the second.

#13 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:01

I think overall the current format is really good (minus the tires thing, as noted) but I'm still amazed that it took so long to get rid of the ridiculously hopeless burning fuel thing and race fuel runs in Q3.

The main advantage of the 12 laps format was that we could often see lots of full onboard laps. Currently there is too much stuff happening at the same time for that.

#14 ocp

ocp

• 196 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:02

I liked 2005 format...

You saw the whole lap, their best lap and only lap.

Great for comparisons and analyzing.

And drivers were under pressure.

#15 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:15

Thats my gripe with the current format. Too much going on at once. Could be easily solved with split screen, but FOM.

#16 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:35

The reason they changed the format was because nothing would happen in the first 30 minutes or so other than Minardi running around.

That only tended to happen if it was raining at the start of the session.

#17 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,441 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:38

Hi!
Can anyone explain to me how qualifying in 2002 worked? I would like to know.
Thanks!

Montoya would take a great pole in his Williams, only to be outclassed by the F2002 in the race.

#18 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,998 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 18:10

I also miss the one-lap qual. A chance to see the smaller teams for a longer time. And a tiny microscopic better chance for them to get sponsorship, as they got a bit more time in the spotlight.

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 18:12

You have to be kidding.

Advertisement

#20 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 18:13

Montoya would take a great pole in his Williams, only to be outclassed by the F2002 in the race.

:up: :lol:

#21 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 18:31

Did you even watch at that year? Michael Schumacher in his prime did his first run some 45 minutes into the session.

#22 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 18:37

Interestingly, there was a heck of a lot less whining from drivers about getting blocked by slower drivers even though the track was more crowded than downtown London in the final minutes.

No, it was basically the same.

#23 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 18:37

You have to be kidding.

Maybe 5-10 minutes but not the whole session.

Did you even watch at that year? Michael Schumacher in his prime did his first run some 45 minutes into the session.

I watched the one hour format for many years and the people who malign it always exaggerate things.

#24 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 18:40

Maybe 5-10 minutes but not the whole session.

I watched the one hour format for many years and the people who malign it always exaggerate things.

In the first 5-10 minutes it would only be the minnows on track. We often had to wait 20+ for any real action.

#25 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 19:30

No, it was basically the same.

People might have forgotten it but I think it was even far worse!

#26 30ft penguin

30ft penguin

• 2,522 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 20:18

As opposed to the current qualifying format, where everybody fast forwards through the first part of the qualifying because nobody except for today's "Minardis" is actually trying to set a serious time.

#27 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 20:33

As opposed to the current qualifying format, where everybody fast forwards through the first part of the qualifying because nobody except for today's "Minardis" is actually trying to set a serious time.

No contest, mate. Q1 is already interesting, first half of 12 laps format was not.

First of all, a midfield driver falls everytime, and now midfield guys are more relevant, they are closer to the leader´s pace. Second, some big names go forward using one set of options, others do not need it, and it´s interesting to see who manages it. Third, big names get it wrong sometimes and go home trying to go throught not using option rubber... eliminations are not too common, but tense moments where everything depends on one last clean lap are very common.

#28 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 20:37

I liked 2005 format...

You saw the whole lap, their best lap and only lap.

Great for comparisons and analyzing.

And drivers were under pressure.

God no. That was the most boring session ever, especially if you were trackside.

#29 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 20:38

But that's not the fault of the system, but the lack of quality at the lower end of the field.

#30 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 22:20

God no. That was the most boring session ever, especially if you were trackside.

It was great for TV if you ask me, and the pressure was enormous, but it was really unfair (different track conditions for everyone).

#31 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 23:04

....and got caught out every now and then like Webber, Raikkonen, Schumacher and a few other people.

This year it'll be even more nervous with HRT out of the equation - there will be 6 cars out after Q1 so at least 2 cars from midfield teams or possibly even the top teams if they don't get their act together -or their tyres working- in Q1.

Edited by scheivlak, 09 February 2013 - 23:04.

#32 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 23:20

2002 in a nutshell.

#33 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 23:21

I never really understood the dislike towards the pre-2006 qualifying format.

How can anyone call this boring?

#34 jondon

jondon

• 617 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 23:22

Agreed, a good incentive to not bother visiting the track and save the ticket price instead.

#35 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 23:24

I never really understood the dislike towards the pre-2006 qualifying format.

How can anyone call this boring?

That´s not pre 2006 format, that´s pre 2003.

#36 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 23:29

I agree today's format is probably the best. The old one hour 12 lap anytime format did have it's quiet moments, however I enjoyed the tension of that. What I would like to see now is the final top ten shoot out to be single lap running.

#37 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,181 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 00:16

That's just wrong. The drivers were all the time complainging about how a very slow car got in their way. You don't hear todays WDC contenders doing that so much any more.

#38 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,181 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 00:19

I thought it was more along the lines of Montoya taking the qualifying car to the pole but the Ferraris taking great race wins.

#39 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 00:42

I agree today's format is probably the best. The old one hour 12 lap anytime format did have it's quiet moments, however I enjoyed the tension of that. What I would like to see now is the final top ten shoot out to be single lap running.

I second that!
You get one lap to push, how adventurous do you dare to be?

Advertisement

#40 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,766 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:29

Still like the qualifying of the old days. 4 sessions over two days! Anything goes. Hot sticky tyres and even hotter fuel.

#41 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:05

....and got caught out every now and then like Webber, Raikkonen, Schumacher and a few other people.

This year it'll be even more nervous with HRT out of the equation - there will be 6 cars out after Q1 so at least 2 cars from midfield teams or possibly even the top teams if they don't get their act together -or their tyres working- in Q1.

Yep, with 2 of the non new 2010 teams cars dropping out in Q1 it'll definitely be more happening. Who knows, maybe Caterham and Marussia's pace will be enough to provide more than the odd scare this year.

#42 Jacobss

Jacobss

• 188 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:50

For me its always funny when people discuss "outqualifying" teammates when they forget that 2003-2009 you had to qualify with race fuel. :rotfl:

For me, the best format we have is now. The pre 2003 format was better then the 03-05 with one lap, but still no so good. You had to wait soo long for the good cars to come out. I remeber Ferraris not coming out for first 30 min, because they didnt want to waste their 12 laps limit.

The 03-05 wasnt good, as already mentioned - it was unfair because of the changing conditions.

#43 ToXiCiTy

ToXiCiTy

• 72 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:48

Only thing i dont like about todays format is, that we rarely see whole laps of drivers in qualy. You dont get moments like these anymore.

Hakkinen vs MS

#44 michaelmyers

michaelmyers

• 65 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 14:56

Only thing i dont like about todays format is, that we rarely see whole laps of drivers in qualy. You dont get moments like these anymore.

Hakkinen vs MS

That must be one of the most exciting qualifyings ever. Just listen to the Mclaren engine in the last chicane. Astonishing!

#45 svalgis

svalgis

• 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 15:08

People might have forgotten it but I think it was even far worse!

autosport forumers have dreams about "the good old days" based on dellusion. surprise surprise.

#46 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 15:42

No contest, mate. Q1 is already interesting, first half of 12 laps format was not.

First of all, a midfield driver falls everytime, and now midfield guys are more relevant, they are closer to the leader´s pace. Second, some big names go forward using one set of options, others do not need it, and it´s interesting to see who manages it. Third, big names get it wrong sometimes and go home trying to go throught not using option rubber... eliminations are not too common, but tense moments where everything depends on one last clean lap are very common.

It gets more interesting when it's damp or raining :)

#47 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,641 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 18:15

I loved the 1hr format. The 12 laps were introduced because of the smaller teams were not able to afford so many sticky qualifying tires. With the six sets rule, you could have unlimited Q, you still only have six sets. Maybe they get used.
But I really miss those Q battles. Granted, the first half hour could be boring, but the commentator would bring you up to speed about the rumours before the real action started. Oh, do I miss those days. It was uncomplicated and everyone had an equal shot. No sissy penalties for blocking etc.

#48 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:23

If they (front runners) aren't trying, then how come they get knocked out? :)

#49 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:25

If they (front runners) aren't trying, then how come they get knocked out? :)

#50 Talisker

Talisker

• 382 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:50

Everyone got 12 laps including ins and outs to do in an hour. Fastest lap got pole

Can you explain that again? It's quite complicated. How did we ever get our heads around that?