* - - - - 3 votes

Lewis changes manager

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#1 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 16:09

"The Mercedes driver has brought and Tom Shine and parted company with Didier Coton, although Simon Fuller stays the main man"

http://www.mirror.co..._medium=twitter

3 things

- Is this a positive move for Lewis? I think Lewis has been a lot more settled since he has been managed by Coton
- How come there is no media discussion on Lewis's state of mind this time?
- Is this the wrong time to be changing managers? Bit odd to change just as testing is under way

Just a quick note that Coton was brought in to find a 'happy bubble'

http://www.guardian....f1-happy-bubble

Was Mclaren the root cause and he doesn't need Coton anymore?

Edited by pinkypants, 10 February 2013 - 16:14.

Advertisement

#2 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 16:15

Maybe he's cheaper. Expensive manager not required now he has a mid-term contract. Or perhaps he just didnt get on with coton. I rather doubt it will be affecting his state of mind.

#3 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 16:42

With every year Lewis and getting older and older and more mature and likable. I doubt any of this sort of stuff even matters much anymore. It's becoming more and more about what happens on the track, which is what it should be.

He is nowhere near what he was like in 2007 or 2008, when I disliked him so much. :p

And no doubt, it will be more of the same in the future. I'm very excited by his move to Mercedes and I almost consider myself a Lewis fan now.. :eek: He's getting older, more mature and all the little things don't seem to matter. Even if the Mercedes move doesn't work out.. I think he will handle it all well. There might still be some spur of the moment outbursts on team radio, but maybe that depends on who is race engineer is.

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 16:48

He's going from a Racing Manager to a Mainstream Manager. Makes sense, I think that's why he went with XIX to begin with. He doesn't need someone to find him a good ride.

#5 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:39

Looks to me more off like someone else is doing thinking for him; stay put, it's not over yet.

#6 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:42

With every year Lewis and getting older and older and more mature and likable. I doubt any of this sort of stuff even matters much anymore. It's becoming more and more about what happens on the track, which is what it should be.

He is nowhere near what he was like in 2007 or 2008, when I disliked him so much. :p

And no doubt, it will be more of the same in the future. I'm very excited by his move to Mercedes and I almost consider myself a Lewis fan now.. :eek: He's getting older, more mature and all the little things don't seem to matter. Even if the Mercedes move doesn't work out.. I think he will handle it all well. There might still be some spur of the moment outbursts on team radio, but maybe that depends on who is race engineer is.

My take is the exact opposite of yours. I cheered as Lewis stomped on the racial barrier when he came into F1 and quickly proved that he was in the first rank of all drivers.

The lying in Australia in 2009 exposed a deep character flaw. 2011? The manner in which Hamilton drove was not befitting a champion. The penalties. "It's cuz Iz bla...." And the dude went Hollywood, mentally at least.

And in 2012 Hamilton released team telemetry via Twitter. Maturity? Love the earrings and tattoos, too.

Maybe new management will upgrade Hamilton's intelligence to the level of his driving skills.

I do not understand how folks find this guy likable. Nationality perhaps?

#7 beefree88

beefree88

• 116 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:47

"The Mercedes driver has brought and Tom Shine and parted company with Didier Coton, although Simon Fuller stays the main man"

3 things

- Is this a positive move for Lewis? I think Lewis has been a lot more settled since he has been managed by Coton
- Is this the wrong time to be changing managers? Bit odd to change just as testing is under way

He needed Cotton to sort out his next contract in F1. Now that that's settled he continues with the original plan to build a brand around him.

“The [entertainment and athlete] talent we have under contract is huge,” Shine told Sports Business Journal. “The idea is to build them as brands, and bring some of the ones with marketing savvy from entertainment to sports, along with combining those disciplines.”

The company’s clients include soccer player David Beckham and his model wife, Victoria Beckham; tennis star Andy Murray; Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton; and singers and entertainers Steven Tyler, Carrie Underwood, David Cook, The Spice Girls, Aloe Black, Lisa Marie Presley, Roland Moure, Geri Hallowell and Annie Lennox, to name a few.

XIX provides artist services that include management, TV and music production, social media engagement, public relations, entertainment marketing and legal and accounting services.
http://www.ibj.com/t...RAMS/post/38922

#8 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:47

I imagine it's to do with Tom Shine joining XIX from Reebok USA to build the Hamilton 'brand' (among others like American Idol). Coton sorted out his drive, now Shine will help his commercial prospects.

Edit: darn, beefree88 beat me :p

Edited by TheUltimateWorrier, 10 February 2013 - 17:49.

#9 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:49

So, he has just fired the guy advising him to go to Mercedes? :smoking:

#10 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:51

Nah, Simon Fuller has. XIX is his management and Fuller decided to change personnel.

#11 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:54

Perhaps, he would do better without one. Vettel doesn't have any and he is doing just fine.

#12 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:57

Three managers in three years doesn't seem like a positive thing. Getting rid of Didier (one of the most popular men in motorsport - not just F1 either) seems daft. Didier's not a McLaren puppet either as he has drivers running in lots of different motorsport series'. But I guess Didier was there to sort Lewis out but Lewis et al would prefer to be a "brand" and that is not what the likes of Didier does; he is there to turn his group into racing drivers. I suspect that's where the conflict has arisen.

Ok I am biased as I'm friendly with some if the drivers Didier manages and I've seen how Aces Management guides them. Personally I'd go with Aces' strategy any day but I'm not a racing driver.

#13 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:57

My thought as well. Is it impossible for him to go on without one?

#14 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 18:01

So, he has just fired the guy advising him to go to Mercedes? :smoking:

He didn't "fire" him, Didier was on a one year contract which has ran out. Either way, a bit of a non story. Love him or loathe him Vettel has it right, you don't need a manager, not really.

#15 svalgis

svalgis

• 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 18:04

lewis back to mclaren in 2014 then.

#16 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 18:10

Three managers in three years doesn't seem like a positive thing. Getting rid of Didier (one of the most popular men in motorsport - not just F1 either) seems daft. Didier's not a McLaren puppet either as he has drivers running in lots of different motorsport series'. But I guess Didier was there to sort Lewis out but Lewis et al would prefer to be a "brand" and that is not what the likes of Didier does; he is there to turn his group into racing drivers. I suspect that's where the conflict has arisen.

Ok I am biased as I'm friendly with some if the drivers Didier manages and I've seen how Aces Management guides them. Personally I'd go with Aces' strategy any day but I'm not a racing driver.

That's nice and all, but how many of them are in the Hamilton class of drivers? I think Hamilton has outgrown the Coton equivalent manager.

#17 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 18:14

Racing does seem to be taking a backseat to the money making at Team Hamilton over the last couple of seasons....

#18 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 19:07

3 things

Maybe Lewis woke up when his 'happy bubble' burst and he found himself with a team that has no chance of a title. Coton had to go!

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 10 February 2013 - 21:06.

#19 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 19:15

He didn't "fire" him, Didier was on a one year contract which has ran out. Either way, a bit of a non story. Love him or loathe him Vettel has it right, you don't need a manager, not really.

It is a non-story. As you say Coton was only on a 1 year contract. As for Vettel, I suspect he may need a manager if he ever wishes to leave Red Bull. Until then he's well looked after by Ecclestone, Marko and the Red Bull machine.

Advertisement

#20 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,462 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 19:32

Racing does seem to be taking a backseat to the money making at Team Hamilton over the last couple of seasons....

A sentence that can't reasonably be taken seriously, especially if one thinks of his 2012 season.

#21 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 19:36

I agree it's a non-story but I would be interested in why he didn't re-sign Coton. 'Firing/Not Re-Signing' is basically the same thing. You didn't want the relationship to continue.

edit: Thanks P123 :up:

Edited by Watkins74, 10 February 2013 - 19:42.

#22 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 19:40

I agree it's a non-story but I would be interested in why he didn't re-sign Coton. 'Firing/Not Re-Signing' is basically the same thing. You didn't want the relationship to continue.

He's taken on somebody from within his current management, so that no doubt has an influence. I assume he no longer needs Coton as his need for F1 contract dealings are done for at least the next few years.

#23 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 21:15

He's going from a Racing Manager to a Mainstream Manager. Makes sense, I think that's why he went with XIX to begin with. He doesn't need someone to find him a good ride.

Or maybe he does considering he ended up at BAR Honda!

#24 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 23:02

Perhaps, he would do better without one. Vettel doesn't have any and he is doing just fine.

Unfortunately not everyone can get Newey to design him top of the line cars for the last 5 years, and a competent team manager to not screw up his races every 2nd weekend.

#25 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 23:12

How does that effect him managing himself?

#26 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 23:23

How does that effect him managing himself?

He's doing "fine" because he's winning titles, not because he's making a lot of money (he makes less than all other top drivers). If it wasn't for the amazing work of Team Red Bull, there wouldn't be any positive to him being his own manager.

#27 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 00:06

He's doing "fine" because he's winning titles, not because he's making a lot of money (he makes less than all other top drivers). If it wasn't for the amazing work of Team Red Bull, there wouldn't be any positive to him being his own manager.

I think Lewis is more interested in the idea of a 'Hamilton' brand and being famous, Vettel's contract concerns are more likely to be more straight forward i.e. I want to the best machinery, I want to be paid x amount over x years, equal status within the team etc.. none of the other considerations

#28 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 00:29

I bet it has more to do with him not being a money driven diva pilot. Having a manager would leave him in no better position than he is now: money no longer is a problem, he has assumed leadership at his team while winning multiple races and titles and simultaneously becoming very coveted, thus the never ending Ferrari link and rumours.

Hes doing fine, alright...

#29 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 00:33

I think Lewis is more interested in the idea of a 'Hamilton' brand and being famous, Vettel's contract concerns are more likely to be more straight forward i.e. I want to the best machinery, I want to be paid x amount over x years, equal status within the team etc.. none of the other considerations

I doubt it, every driver would choose a Newey car over brands or any of that crap, unfortunately Horner knows that they can win with Vettel and he doesn't want to share the car with another top driver.

#30 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 00:38

I doubt it, every driver would choose a Newey car over brands or any of that crap...

Strange, I thought I had just seen someone exchange the equal (or at worst close 2nd) best car of 2012 for brands and all that crap.

#31 dhill39

dhill39

• 426 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 00:52

Strange, I thought I had just seen someone exchange the equal (or at worst close 2nd) best car of 2012 for brands and all that crap.

I think you're confuse,you know he left Mclaren for all there bs,you think a sportsperson would leave a situation where they are winning if something wasn't going on to their liking,and people keep harping on branding,you think he would give up winning just so he can build is brand,come again,all these drivers are all in it to win,and if you can win and make money too,that's great,but it's all about winning.

#32 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:35

I bet it has more to do with him not being a money driven diva pilot. Having a manager would leave him in no better position than he is now: money no longer is a problem, he has assumed leadership at his team while winning multiple races and titles and simultaneously becoming very coveted, thus the never ending Ferrari link and rumours.

:up:

#33 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:43

Nothing to do with being a diva. Salary is about the worth of the individual to the operation.

That someone exchanged a poisonous environment, impeding customer status and incompetence at the top of the chain for a new team ready to do whatever is necessary for success.

#34 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,642 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:05

When Coton originally got appointed last year, one of the reports (I *think* it was Tom Cary for The Telegraph) said something interesting, about how McLaren would presumably be very happy because they'd wanted Coton for Hamilton's manager all along. If so, it opens up all manner of possibilities why the contract wasn't renewed. Maybe he only agreed to Coton in the first place under pressure from his team and now he's not with 'em any more, bye-bye, Didier. Or maybe he only hired him to shut the press up. (Throughout 2011 there was a crazy amount of that on Hamilton and one of the things they'd bang on about was "Why oh why does Lewis not have a race manager?!") All speculation of course, but if he took Coton on for any of the above reasons, it's not that surprising the relationship didn't endure - they're all negative reasons for him being there rather than positive ones.

However, the idea isn't to come up with a slick manager to "handle" Hamilton's faux pas, but rather a guide to help him prioritize his goals and attain them - hopefully by skipping along some of the rocks that would otherwise stand as obstacles.

I would agree that he'd benefit from a steady and calming influence from someone who is completely loyal yet unafraid of speaking out firmly should it be required. (Which of us would not benefit from that, after all?) In the past he had his dad and Ron Dennis as mentors. But team principals can't ever really fulfil that role because their loyalties will always be divided. And still having your dad manage your life as an adult? Yikes. So I think he was right to want to move on. But replacing all that is tricky ;you can't just get a trusted advisor instantly, relationships like that have to be forged carefully over years.

#35 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:52

I doubt it, every driver would choose a Newey car over brands or any of that crap, unfortunately Horner knows that they can win with Vettel and he doesn't want to share the car with another top driver.

But a certain double world champ didnt when he had the chance to in 2009. Why cant some people give credit to Vettel for even the smallest thing. *sigh*

In any case, I dont see a problem with the choice Lewis has made. It was only logical of him to go down that direction given what, I think, he aims to achieve in life.

Edited by gillesthegenius, 11 February 2013 - 10:10.

#36 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:15

Can we please keep to the topic, the discussion is about Lewis Hamilton changing his management team

#37 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:17

But a certain double world champ didnt when he had the chance to in 2009. Why cant some people give credit to Vettel for even the smallest thing. *sigh*

In any case, I dont see a problem with the choice Lewis has made. It was only logical of him to go down that direction given what, I think, he aims to achieve in life.

I guess that for some drivers (and his fans) have to be difficult to accept that another fellow driver quite much younger than them lands in this world and wins three tittles in a row... Vettel's cv in F1 is just amazing, period.

#38 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:39

What change XIX is still the management team. They just sent another guy to look after Lewis.

Edited by seahawk, 11 February 2013 - 10:40.

#39 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:46

What change XIX is still the management team. They just sent another guy to look after Lewis.

I thought we were talking about managers not babysitters. :lol:

Seriously, I think it's about time for Lewis to settle down a little bit and concentrate in what I think it should be important for him, his F1 career.

Advertisement

#40 dhill39

dhill39

• 426 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:33

I thought we were talking about managers not babysitters. :lol:

Seriously, I think it's about time for Lewis to settle down a little bit and concentrate in what I think it should be important for him, his F1 career.

I think Lewis his very serious about F1,but he's got the chance to make a few extra bucks by doing stuff outside F1,it's like saying Phil Mickelson is not serious about golf because he's doing too much commercials,they are all in it to make as much money has they can.I think Lewis can do both very seriously,he's professional.

#41 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:02

I think Lewis his very serious about F1,but he's got the chance to make a few extra bucks by doing stuff outside F1,it's like saying Phil Mickelson is not serious about golf because he's doing too much commercials,they are all in it to make as much money has they can.I think Lewis can do both very seriously,he's professional.

I was talking about commercials, I was talking about his problems with his father, his girlfriend, his lack of good performances on the track... Remember his "affaires" with Felipe Massa a couple seasons ago or even, last year, he was in more than one internal mess in McLaren... A little too much...

#42 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,161 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:10

Maturity? Love the earrings and tattoos, too.

So earrings and tattoos are a sign of lack of maturity?? hmm kay

Someone should tell Alonso as well, seeing as he has a big ass tattoo over his back..

#43 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:14

As I see it Coton was all about dealing with McLaren's Jenson-love and their perception of Lewis as their young beholden protege. Coton was a pillar of support, a racing insider. His role isn't needed at Mercedes.

Now it's just about PR and brand, hence the PR guy. I just hope he doesn't try to 'correct' Lewis - a lot of the energy that makes Lewis the centre of attention all the time is the feeling he's just about to do something ELSE lol.

#44 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:20

I was talking about commercials, I was talking about his problems with his father, his girlfriend, his lack of good performances on the track... Remember his "affaires" with Felipe Massa a couple seasons ago or even, last year, he was in more than one internal mess in McLaren... A little too much...

Well...I'm sure Lewis could have done without all that, but come on, personal problems happen to the best of us! Fortunately Lewis seems to have moved on from the issues that he had in 2011, and, best of all, he has left McLaren and whatever was going on there. Maybe Lewis has changed manager because he needs a fresh start now that he is with Mercedes.

#45 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:49

I sink zat maybe zumone iz a little too tutonic to underschtand zat zis perfektion iz not going to be in ze forefrunt of his character at every moment of his life.

But zen again... I could be wrong
Jp

#46 dhill39

dhill39

• 426 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 16:51

I think we won't know the real reason he left Mclaren until he retires,but my feeling is that he left because he couldn't deal with the bs from some member of the team,why would he leave a team that he was winning races at every year,it had to be major,too bad we won't know until he retires.

#47 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:04

Well...I'm sure Lewis could have done without all that, but come on, personal problems happen to the best of us! Fortunately Lewis seems to have moved on from the issues that he had in 2011, and, best of all, he has left McLaren and whatever was going on there. Maybe Lewis has changed manager because he needs a fresh start now that he is with Mercedes.

I'm sure all F1 drivers have personal problems (like everybody else) but Mr. Hamilton's were all over the mass media. I guess he needs to be on the spotlight for some reason I don't know but I don't think it makes him any good.

#48 tomboyracer

tomboyracer

• 119 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:25

I'm sure all F1 drivers have personal problems (like everybody else) but Mr. Hamilton's were all over the mass media. I guess he needs to be on the spotlight for some reason I don't know but I don't think it makes him any good.

Hm... I think it's more that the mass media is all over Hamilton. His name sells papers, so a a far bigger deal is made over his personal problems.

#49 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:34

Wait until Nathan Rollison hits our screens in an episode of Casualty later this year, you'll think even worse of him then! :/

#50 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:35

Hm... I think it's more that the mass media is all over Hamilton. His name sells papers, so a a far bigger deal is made over his personal problems.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? :lol:

But the main thing is... All this fuss is good for him and his career? I don't think so and I am sure he could stop it if he wanted to. Perhaps a new manager could redirect this matter... :rolleyes: