Photo

Don't miss the documentary series film - 'Where They Raced â?? Episode 1: The Early Years'

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 THead

THead

• 108 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 21:01

Posted Image

This is the premiere episode of “WHERE THEY RACED: Speed Demons in the City of Angeles†by Harry Pallenberg: Producer / Director.
TO SEE IT CLICK HERE

Los Angeles is famous for its orange groves, bathing beauties, sunshine and Hollywood blockbusters. Long forgotten is that it was also home to more auto racing and innovation than anywhere else in the world.

With hundreds of vintage photos, lost archival footage and revealing interviews, WHERE THEY RACED is the documentary series that reunites the ghost tracks of Los Angeles with the cars that ran them and gets the families, historians and experts to tell the tales that give this history a victory lap by preserving these fading memories.

Be sure to stop by every Tuesday as we plan on featuring the complete series and next week will feature the Santa Monica Road Races and important racing cars of the Los Angeles area as seen below.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 21:38

Los Angeles is famous for its orange groves, bathing beauties, sunshine and Hollywood blockbusters. Long forgotten is that it was also home to more auto racing and innovation than anywhere else in the world.

Really? I may take some persuading on that point...

#3 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 22:41

Great stuff, looking forward to the resto f the series. Thanks for posting the link

#4 ChrisJson

ChrisJson

• 368 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:35

I would think the UK would equal it though.

Not to forget Modena!!

Christer

#5 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,257 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:48

Really? I may take some persuading on that point...

It certainly is a contender, whether you realize it or not.

#6 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:01

Don't forget Naptown, Indiana, either.

#7 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 15:19

'more auto racing and innovation than anywhere else in the world.'
Oh please.

#8 THead

THead

• 108 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 18:43

'more auto racing and innovation than anywhere else in the world.'
Oh please.

The filmmaker was referring to the 1910-29 period and at the time his statement was true or very close to it.

Enjoy it for what it is as there are some incredible photos in it.

Edited by THead, 13 February 2013 - 18:43.

#9 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 562 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:28

The filmmaker was referring to the 1910-29 period and at the time his statement was true or very close to it.

Enjoy it for what it is as there are some incredible photos in it.

The books are good too. Google "Where they raced"

#10 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:01

It certainly is a contender, whether you realize it or not.

You and me babe...(+a surprisingly high number of VeryImportantPosters here on TNF)
We gotta fly our flag for LaLaLand
Jp

#11 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:35

Joe Scalzo's book "City of Speed" - a half-decent read. It opened my blinkered British eyes.

#12 THead

THead

• 108 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 20:19

The books are good too. Google "Where they raced"

You and me babe...(+a surprisingly high number of VeryImportantPosters here on TNF)
We gotta fly our flag for LaLaLand
Jp

Joe Scalzo's book "City of Speed" - a half-decent read. It opened my blinkered British eyes.

Posted Image

Good to see some open-minded people that know about the important history of racing in the Los Angeles area. Stay tuned as I will hopefully post Part II here on Tuesday or see it at TheOldMotor.com. home page. We have previewed the film and it covers one of the most historicaly important pre WWI racing cars in the world (seen above) which has survived. In the mean time you can watch Part I here.

Edited by THead, 17 February 2013 - 21:39.

#13 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,257 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:19

Don't forget Naptown, Indiana, either.

Not to knock the great racing history there, but cars built in Los Angeles dominated the action from the 20's through the early 60's :)

#14 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,257 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:19

As far as an overview, yes. But, please take the tall tales with a very, very large grain of salt.

It certainly gives a feel for the scope.

#15 THead

THead

• 108 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 21:51

Not to knock the great racing history there, but cars built in Los Angeles dominated the action from the 20's through the early 60's :)

Jim, good take on racing through that period.

"Don't forget Naptown, Indiana, either." is one of the uncalled for cheap potshots in this post by people trying to discredit racing in America who in reality,
probably have no understanding of it.

Edited by THead, 18 February 2013 - 22:15.

#16 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 14:40

A haven't looked at Part 1 yet. I am rather reluctant to do so. What if I disagree with some of the sentiments expressed? Or, perish the thought, if I find factual errors? Can I make comments? Or, will they be interpreted as unwarranted criticism and can I then expect the thread to be destroyed by deletion of the key posts? (As happened on another thread.)

#17 THead

THead

• 108 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 15:37

A haven't looked at Part 1 yet. I am rather reluctant to do so. What if I disagree with some of the sentiments expressed? Or, perish the thought, if I find factual errors? Can I make comments? Or, will they be interpreted as unwarranted criticism and can I then expect the thread to be destroyed by deletion of the key posts? (As happened on another thread.)

D-Type, go ahead and check it out and we are open for CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSION even if it is about something that is wrong, just not the negative bashing that sometimes goes on here.

I deleted my part of that thread because it appeared to me that it was just going to turn into a bashing session like a couple of other threads I have posted here.

Sorry, but that is the way I feel about.

Edited by THead, 19 February 2013 - 16:19.

#18 VWV

VWV

• 317 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 16:21

I have been posting here to try to share some interesting things here, but tire of the barbs and mean-spirited comments.

Thank you very much for your posts, I actually enjoy then and learn things from your blog. The first 2 epidodes are well done.

I too have noticed the increased amount of "nasty and mean-spirited comments" lately on TNF. No further comments from me on this subject.