Dragster question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 17:44

First of all, excuse this rather basic question:

There is an area for burn-outs before the start of the drag strip...This looks mostly wet.

Question, just water, or special brews to light up the tires?? I read about a 'bleach'..

Certainly someone knows exactly..

Thank you Michael

Advertisement

#2 RShaw

RShaw

• 139 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 18:13

Googling "burnout liquid" would lead one to believe it is just water. Some references call the burnout area the "waterbox".

#3 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 19:10

These days the liquid is just water.

Back in the late 1960s/1970s bleach was used, to the detriment of jeans and t-shirts. Later more exotic fluids such as traction compounds were employed. For a brief period in the 1970s fire burnouts were all the rage. Petrol was poured over the rear slick tyres and the dragster would explode forward from a wall of flame.

Here's Mike Dunn on the subject

Tony

#4 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 19:45

These days the liquid is just water.

Back in the late 1960s/1970s bleach was used, to the detriment of jeans and t-shirts. Later more exotic fluids such as traction compounds were employed. For a brief period in the 1970s fire burnouts were all the rage. Petrol was poured over the rear slick tyres and the dragster would explode forward from a wall of flame.

Here's Mike Dunn on the subject

Tony

Tony thank you.

I can imagine , that modern 'greener' thinking does only allow water today..

Thanks Michael

#5 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 19:58

I can imagine , that modern 'greener' thinking does only allow water today..

Yes, and mountain spring water at that, preferable fizzy.

#6 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 20:01

Before or after the burnout?

#7 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 21:22

At AIR during the 80s and 90s when they did use VHT traction compound in the burn out area, that happens to be on the EXIT of the speed bowl that makes up part of the road circuit it was VERY slippery when even remotely wet. Hence they banned the VHT and only uses water, But even then the amount of rubber down still made it tricky when raining. The wet weather line is entirely different to the dry. Go way up near the fence and then straight line between the rubber lines and down the centre of the track. Or as several found you will end up in the inside wall.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,242 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 22:15

Yes, that AIR bowl exit line was a disaster...

I remember several top drivers complaining, especially when there were burnout demonstrations in the middle of road race meetings (usually just before the main race!).

#9 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:09

Yes, that AIR bowl exit line was a disaster...

I remember several top drivers complaining, especially when there were burnout demonstrations in the middle of road race meetings (usually just before the main race!).

The only burnout demos at AIR were on the pitlane entrance apron and were never a problem,, except maybe on the pitlane.

#10 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:09

Here's Gerry Andrews in the blown Chevy powered "Hemi-Hunter" dragster exiting the bleach-box (note the "bleach bottles") at Snetterton in the mid-1970s.

The drag strip ran from the bridge near the Esses along the back straight (in the opposite direction to the circuit cars). A bump where the circuit and drag strip joined about 300 feet from the start tended to make things interesting for the 200+ mph top dragsters.

Tony

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by taylov, 18 February 2013 - 15:17.

#11 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:18

Yes, and mountain spring water at that, preferable fizzy.

Only Premium water from the Himalaya....nothing else will do!!

Michael

#12 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 18:31

Its water in the burnout area, but traction compound all the way down the quarter mile dragstrip.

I remember attending a State Motor Racing Championship meeting at Calder Park some years back, and due to the traction compound layed down on the drag strip/main straight, the track permit was only granted for dry weather racing.
That is, if it started raining (always possible in Melbourne) then racing would have to cease. It stayed dry, just.

#13 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:05

At AIR during the 80s and 90s when they did use VHT traction compound in the burn out area, that happens to be on the EXIT of the speed bowl that makes up part of the road circuit it was VERY slippery when even remotely wet. Hence they banned the VHT and only uses water, But even then the amount of rubber down still made it tricky when raining. The wet weather line is entirely different to the dry. Go way up near the fence and then straight line between the rubber lines and down the centre of the track. Or as several found you will end up in the inside wall.

I can verify that. One very long slide which I caught about 2 seconds after hitting the wall.