Knocked out in Q1:
22. Chilton, Marussia. Nobody expects anything from him, so there it goes.
21. Razia, Marussia. Lack of testing hurts.
20. van der Garde, Caterham. Beats the Marussia duo barely.
19. Pic, Caterham. The only experienced bloke of the backmarker bunch, still far behind established teams.
18. Gutierrez, Sauber. Poor rookie gets shown up in his first ever F1 qualifying session.
17. Bianchi/Sutil, Force India. Just got back to F1, haven't settled in properly yet.
Q2, tension rises. Who is gonna drop the ball now? So here it goes:
16. Vergne, STR. The Frenchman was vowed to improve his qualifying in 2013. Still not good enough.
15. Bottas, Williams. The talented Finn is looking to make his mark, but makes a mistake on his last attempt.
14. Di Resta, Force India. An unspectacular lap.
13. Hulkenberg, Sauber. New to the team. Yet to perform at the maximum, Sauber struggled to heat up the tyres.
12. Ricciardo, STR. Great lap in front of his home crowd.
11. Raikkonen, Lotus. The competition for Q3 slots was so tight that Kimi just missed out. Maldonado just pipped him in the end with a superb flier.
Two Red Bulls, McLarens, Ferraris and Mercedes. Sole Lotus and Williams. And there they go for the last ten minute decisive session!
10th Perez, McLaren. The McLaren newcomer wanted to make his mark quickly in a top team, but slid wide on his lap and has to wait for a better race performance again.
9th Massa, Ferrari. The Brazilian is again narrowly left behind by tight competition.
8th Rosberg, Mercedes. Solid lap, but the German is not too happy about being behind his team-mate.
7th Maldonado, Williams. Another impressive performance by the Venezuelan on a street circuit. Remains to be seen if he can finish the race though...
6th Webber, Red Bull. The Melbourne curse carries on. Wasn't very comfortable on his last lap and as a result only 6th in that tight competition. Podium will be difficult.
5th Hamilton, Mercedes. The Briton is elated with his Mercedes debut. But it remains to be seen, what will the tyre wear tell us on race day...
4th Grosjean, Lotus. This man feels supremely comfortable at Albert Park. 3rd last year, today 4th.
3rd Alonso, Ferrari. The double WDC is happy with Ferrari's improved qualifying form. Still not good enough for the front row.
2nd Button, McLaren. A good lap, very good, but just misses out by 0.019 seconds.
1st Vettel, Red Bull. In a battle of invisible margins, Seb pulls one out of the bag on his final attempt again.
Edited by sopa, 26 February 2013 - 20:28.