Bernie confirms 2014 Mexican GP talks

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,614 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:19

http://www.autoweek....24/F1/130229884

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed that he is in talks about holding a Grand Prix in Mexico City in 2014.
The race would take place at Mexico City’s Autódromo Hermanos Rodriguez which last hosted an F1 race in 1992 and needs a multi-million dollar upgrade in order to do so again.

The Mexican Grand Prix was expected to return to the F1 calendar in 2006 at a street circuit just south of the international airport in the beach resort of Cancun. The race did not take place and, since then, there have been widespread rumors about when and where it would return. Ecclestone has stayed quiet about the rumors but has now revealed that Mexico City is in pole position to become the new home of the Mexican Grand Prix.

“Mexico City is a better place to hold the race than Cancun,” he said. “In more or less any city around the world you could ask people ‘where is Mexico City?’ and they would say Mexico. If you said to somebody where is Cancun they would say ‘I don’t know.’”

However, Ecclestone also revealed how close Cancun came to staging the Mexican Grand Prix. “We were going to do a race in Cancun. We had a contract but they couldn’t get the permission they wanted,” he said.

After the Grand Prix in 1992, international racing did not return to Mexico City until 2002 when the Champ Car series held a round of its schedule at the track there.

The Champ Car race was a big success and regularly drew crowds of more than 300,000 over the race weekend.

F1’s renewed interest in Mexico has been driven by the success of home driver Sergio Perez, who narrowly missed out on victory for Sauber in the Malaysian and Italian Grands Prix last year. Perez’s chances of success have accelerated this year as he has joined the front-running McLaren team while another Mexican, Esteban Gutierrez, takes his place at Sauber.

Unlike the plans for Cancun, the Mexico City project has a true “dream team” behind it. It appears the three key players are Alejandro Soberon, Tavo Hellmund and Carlos Slim Domit. Soberon is the chief executive of CIE and Hellmund is well-known in F1 circles for being the creator and mastermind of the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, which last year hosted the U.S. Grand Prix after a five year hiatus. Slim Domit is the son of the world’s richest man, Carlos Slim, and bankrolled both Perez and Gutierrez for many years to get them into F1.

Slim Domit has an additional link to F1 as he sits on the FIA Senate, the decision-making body of motor racing’s governing body the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile.

The race is likely to be paired on the F1 calendar with the U.S. Grand Prix, since Austin is one of the closest major cities to the border with Mexico. Organizers claimed that last year’s U.S. Grand Prix attracted a crowd of 265,499 over the race weekend. Ecclestone said, “I should think that half the people that went to Austin were Mexican. There is absolutely a lot of potential in Mexico.”

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:57

Bernie will talk to anyone in search of money, doesn't mean it's going anywhere. If Lesotho told him that they had a few million to put in his pot, he'd talk to them to see what's what.

#3 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:07

Have they fixed the peraltada?

#4 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:28

“Mexico City is a better place to hold the race than Cancun,” he said. “In more or less any city around the world you could ask people ‘where is Mexico City?’ and they would say Mexico. If you said to somebody where is Cancun they would say ‘I don’t know.’”

Only if they are really stupid Bernie.

#5 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:42

Not surprised one bit. Carlos Slim will be behind this.

#6 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,998 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 14:03

I want to see this race run, but only if they are running the full Peraltada.

#7 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 14:24

Only if they are really stupid Bernie.

*cough* Weehawken

#8 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 2,009 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 14:37

Well, they've ruined the peraltada... to slow down the cars, a 'chicane' was built inside the baseball stadium right before that mitic corner:

Posted Image
original image

I want to see this race run, but only if they are running the full Peraltada.

That wont be the case for sure... Remember Indianapolis? I don't see Pirelli making a tyre that can handle such forces on the exterior face of the tyre, and, I do not see either the drivers having what it takes to run a car at full speed through the original peraltada.

Those were the days of the these guys:

Mexico Gran Prix 1990

:love:

Despite the emotion of a comeback of F1 to Mexico, I'm still in great doubt of a Gran Prix at the Hermanos Rodriguez at 2014, it will require a huge investment and a man that wants to do things in accordance of the history of the circuit; to get rid of the bumps would require a special design of the structure that holds the tarmac and the original layout of the circuit restored... Being Mexico, the work is going to be done the 'mexican' way and I'm already hearing the whining and crying of 'amazing' haricut drivers about the bumps, though, it certainly would be a huge success in terms of attendance and bringing back historic circuits. I was very young at 1990, but, I still remember the roar and madness at the stands that a 1-2 place for Ferrari produce.

The motorsports audience in Mexico is huge!

#9 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 267 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 14:53

I live in Mexico City and the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez is not up to F1 standards anymore ,forget the peraltada , it's gone .they would have to demolish the whole thing and build it again. In my opinion Cancun and Riviera Maya is a much better place for an F1 race.

#10 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,076 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 16:46

Well, if Carlos Slim wants a Grand Prix, he has enough money to demolish and rebuilt a track but from what I understand lack of space and a baseball stadium are the major problems. Cancun would actually, from a commercial view, be more likely, for tourism.

#11 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,076 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 16:46

Wasn't a Thai Grand Prix at Bangkok not already confirmed for... 2015 or 2016?

Edited by William Hunt, 25 February 2013 - 16:47.

#12 toniovodka

toniovodka

• 16 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 16:59

I would love to have a GP in my city but the track is not up to F1 standards and it has almost no room for upgrades. Peraltada turn is almost gone, with no escape zones and no room for making one, the curbs are too tall even for a street car, and the the track is bumpy, not undrivable but probably too much for an F1 car. The paddock is tiny compared to the new tracks and the facilities are just not good enough.

they`ll need a lot of money and a lot of thinking to make the race happen

#13 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 17:00

Would be great for Perez.

#14 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 17:03

God knows why. Asia has become over saturated already IMO

Malaysia
China
Singapore
Korea
India
Japan,
and now Thailand?

Too much. We could live with half of that.

#15 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 17:33

I wouldn't believe a new race is going to happen until you see the cars moving.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:14

G

:lol: :up:

Good sig material from Bernie there.

Edited by Risil, 25 February 2013 - 19:15.

#17 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 20:13

Consistency is always Bernie's strong point. As everyone knows, Sochi is the capital of Russia, Shanghai the capital of China, and that muddy backwater in Korea is the capital as well. And somewhere in Noo Joysee is nearly in Noo Yawk which is the capital of the USA. And so is Austin.

Bernie would have a race anywhere at all if someone antes up the ackers.

Edited by BRG, 25 February 2013 - 20:13.

#18 Craigster

Craigster

• 82 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:44

Consistency is always Bernie's strong point. As everyone knows, Sochi is the capital of Russia, Shanghai the capital of China, and that muddy backwater in Korea is the capital as well. And somewhere in Noo Joysee is nearly in Noo Yawk which is the capital of the USA. And so is Austin.

Bernie would have a race anywhere at all if someone antes up the ackers.

The races seem to fit into two categories: Bernie buddies (Austin, Hungary, Singapore, Brazil, Oz) and faceless governments (SKorea, China, Malaysia etc etc). Which camp does Mexico fit in? Is the circuit in Mex City government owned?

#19 chumma

chumma

• 1,346 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:45

Thailand wouldn't hold a race the city is a mess. The roads are terrible in BKK

ps the race will definitely happen, 3 reasons why, Perez, Gutierrez, Slim.

Edited by chumma, 26 February 2013 - 03:46.

Advertisement

#20 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:42

I think that Perez's rapid rise through the F1 ranks, and landing in a top team at such young age might have something to do with this.

That, along with Carlos Slim, of course.

#21 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:46

Santosdf: what about Los Zetas? MS-13 is bad enough in the states, see their graffiti here and there, but.... uhg...

Father in law went across the border from Texas last year - saw a "tank" built out of a Suburban, .50 cal on top. Wasn't "Mexican military or police"..... A student visited a town last year on a mission trip. A few days afterwards they had a massacre.

Cancun is one thing, Mexico.... I wouldn't be too eager to go.

#22 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:07

Well, they've ruined the peraltada... to slow down the cars, a 'chicane' was built inside the baseball stadium right before that mitic corner:
original image

That wont be the case for sure... Remember Indianapolis? I don't see Pirelli making a tyre that can handle such forces on the exterior face of the tyre, and, I do not see either the drivers having what it takes to run a car at full speed through the original peraltada.

Those were the days of the these guys:

Mexico Gran Prix 1990

:love:

Despite the emotion of a comeback of F1 to Mexico, I'm still in great doubt of a Gran Prix at the Hermanos Rodriguez at 2014, it will require a huge investment and a man that wants to do things in accordance of the history of the circuit; to get rid of the bumps would require a special design of the structure that holds the tarmac and the original layout of the circuit restored... Being Mexico, the work is going to be done the 'mexican' way and I'm already hearing the whining and crying of 'amazing' haricut drivers about the bumps, though, it certainly would be a huge success in terms of attendance and bringing back historic circuits. I was very young at 1990, but, I still remember the roar and madness at the stands that a 1-2 place for Ferrari produce.

The motorsports audience in Mexico is huge!

Why can't modern F1 be like that? Why does it have to be fake and boring?

Edited by BigCHrome, 26 February 2013 - 06:10.

#23 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 2,009 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:21

Another wonderful country to add to the list of F1 races. Really looking forward to it. How about North Korea next?

Ignorance is a blessing...

#24 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 2,009 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:29

Why can't modern F1 be like that? Why does it have to be fake and boring?

Everything goes along with the market nowdays...

Here is a nice video of Senna on the qualyfing stage at the Hermanos Rodriguez in 1992... difficult conditions indeed, but a beatiful arrange of long straits, a very tecnical 'S' complex, and the famous Peraltada:

Senna Mexcio GP 1992

:up:

#25 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:30

Unfortunately I don't think the Peraltada would be there. Not even if they decided to rebuild it. The reason is that right after the escape there is a wall and immediately an avenue. There is no way to have the required escape size.

#26 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:35

Another wonderful country to add to the list of F1 races. Really looking forward to it. How about North Korea next?

:rotfl: Oh man you need to go out a bit more.

#27 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,211 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 15:25

:rotfl: Oh man you need to go out a bit more.

I wonder how many respondents here have actually been to Mexico City?

In 1991 I was doing a concert at the Estadio Azteca and stayed on for 2 extra days to see the Mexican GP. The night before the race we ate at a restaurant recommended by some of the stagehands. When we got there one of the guys said we had just missed Ricardo Patrese.
Waking up the next morning we all confirmed that ...something was not quite right..and spend most of the morning tag teaming the hotel toilet. Unperturbed myself and one other headed off for Hermanos Rodriguez. The traffic was stupid bad.
We ended up walking from around 1 mile out. I chose to stand on the inside of Peraltada and WOW..Glad I did.
Bernie must have worked some magic as the smog lifted about 5 minutes before the start just as my co worker was bitten by a dog.!!
I found out, after the race, that Patrese suffered the same tummy trouble as we did..AND won the race.
Went back in 2002 (all work - no racing) and it's now a very upmarket and vibrant city.
If anyone DOES end up going let me know...I have a few interesting places for you to check out.

Anyone else been?
Jp

#28 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 15:32

From what I've seen and hear, Mexico is terrific. I'd think about going there again way before visiting other GPs.

#29 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 15:34

Santosdf: what about Los Zetas? MS-13 is bad enough in the states, see their graffiti here and there, but.... uhg...

Father in law went across the border from Texas last year - saw a "tank" built out of a Suburban, .50 cal on top. Wasn't "Mexican military or police"..... A student visited a town last year on a mission trip. A few days afterwards they had a massacre.

Mexico City is pretty far away from the Texas border.

#30 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,211 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 15:38

Collective: your from D.F. ..what's it like now?
Has it changed much since '02?

Jp

#31 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 16:58

Collective: your from D.F. ..what's it like now?
Has it changed much since '02?

Jp

Not living there since 2008 but I visit a lot.

It's safer. Back in the day people from outside the city would tell you they were afraid to go, now it's a bit the other way around. The city has expanded and enhanced public transportation (although Hermanos Rodríguez is not the most convenient place to get to from the nicer areas where tourists would prefer to stay).

Traffic is still a mess, possibly even worse, that's a part I don't miss at all.

The sightseeing spots are in much better shape: downtown free of informal commerce plaguing the streets, museums well kept, "Turibus" that takes you to best spots for a flat fee 24 hour pass. I think it would be a good venue!

#32 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 267 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:05

Border cities are among the most dangerous in the country, but Mexico City is not more dangerous that some other mayor cities in the world, the problem is the track , besides IMO it would be much better to do it in a place like Cancun, Riviera Maya or Los Cabos with firts class hotels and other ammenities for the visitors.

#33 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:36

People go to Cancun on vacation, to relax and go to the beach. Not spend their entire weekend at a noisy racetrack clumped together with a whole bunch of people on a small bench. Besides, going there is already expensive enough, not many would do it just for F1.

#34 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 267 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:49

People go to Cancun on vacation, to relax and go to the beach. Not spend their entire weekend at a noisy racetrack clumped together with a whole bunch of people on a small bench. Besides, going there is already expensive enough, not many would do it just for F1.

It would be nice to relax in a beautiful beach after an exiting racing weekend, and it will not be as expensive as most of the other F1 venues for example Bahrein, Monaco,Singapur,Japan,Abu Dhabi.

#35 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,614 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:01

Ecclestone turns back on New Jersey, looks to Mexico for 2014 F1 race

The 2014 calendar will be finalized in December by F1's governing body, the FIA, but new races need financing in place by now to ensure their plans are on track. “I should know within a couple of weeks about Mexico,” Ecclestone told Autoweek, adding “I'm going to try to make it happen.”

The Grand Prix is due to be held at Mexico City's Autódromo Hermanos Rodriguez, which last hosted an F1 race in 1992. The plan to revive the Mexican Grand Prix has the backing of an all-star management team which is driven by two key figures.
The first is Tavo Hellmund, the creator and mastermind of the F1 USGP and the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas. His counterpart in Mexico is Alejandro Soberon, chief executive of the world's third-largest live entertainment company, CIE. The team members include Carlos Slim Domit, who sits on the FIA's decision-making body, the Senate, and is son of the world's richest man, Carlos Slim. Also backing the F1 effort in Mexico are George Gonzalez chief executive of CIE subsidiary Ocesa, and Federico Alaman, president of motorsports for Ocesa. And, they aren't the only driving forces behind the race.

This year there are two talented Mexican drivers on the F1 grid in the form of Esteban Gutierrez at Sauber and McLaren's Sergio Perez. They have both been bankrolled by Slim as they moved through the ranks of motorsport. There has also been recent change in Mexico as the country got a dynamic new president in December last year when 47-year-old Enrique Pena Nieto took office. With this kind of support, it is a matter of when, and not if, the race takes place.

The Mexican Grand Prix is understood to be fully funded but, according to Ecclestone, the same cannot be said of the Grand Prix of America in New Jersey. Its organizers appointed investment bank UBS in June to raise $100 million which is required for the race to go ahead. It seems they have run out of time.

Edited by AustinF1, 25 August 2013 - 16:04.

#36 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 17:03

Well, then they need to get their **** together because that race track is in a right state. Bernie may just be doing ths to make New Jersey pull their finger out.

#37 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 17:08

Well, then they need to get their **** together because that race track is in a right state. Bernie may just be doing ths to make New Jersey pull their finger out.

I believe that's his strategy.

They still have until December to get the necessary funds. Plenty of time.

#38 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,076 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 18:37

If Carlos Slim, who is the richest man in the world so swimming in $$$, is financing this race then it will surely happpen.

#39 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,614 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 18:39

Maybe. Who knows? Maybe we could end up with 4 North American races. I've said for a while that's where we're headed. Could be sweet!

They still have until December to get the necessary funds. Plenty of time.

One more thought...A proposed NJ race would be paired with Montreal. Not actually not much much time at all & MUCH work to do. Nothing's really being done in NJ.

Edited by AustinF1, 25 August 2013 - 18:40.

Advertisement

#40 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 18:44

Ignorance is a blessing...

Really?

My company's insurance covers kidnap and ransom in all but seven countries. Mexico is a bedfellow of Iraq and Yemen on that list.

#41 OO7

OO7

• 23,405 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 18:50

Autosport: 'Mexico set for 2014 F1 calendar slot'

Just because something has a slot, doesn't mean that slot will be filled.   ;)

#42 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,076 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 18:50

Really?

My company's insurance covers kidnap and ransom in all but seven countries. Mexico is a bedfellow of Iraq and Yemen on that list.

And which country caused all the violence in Iraq or Yemen (with drones)? I'll give you a slight hint: it's an empire with 730 army bases outside their country who have overthrown governments to install dictatorships in just about every latin American country, invaded several other countries and their army is bigger as all armies from all other countries added up. They usually wage war to fund their multinationals.

Edited by William Hunt, 25 August 2013 - 18:50.

#43 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 19:07

Back on topic please.

#44 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 19:07

And which country caused all the violence in Iraq or Yemen (with drones)? I'll give you a slight hint: it's an empire with 730 army bases outside their country who have overthrown governments to install dictatorships in just about every latin American country, invaded several other countries and their army is bigger as all armies from all other countries added up. They usually wage war to fund their multinationals.

I'm not quite sure what that vacuous diatribe has to do with Mexico being considered a kidnap risk and therefore not being a particularly desirable place to visit for a GP?

Edited by stanga, 25 August 2013 - 19:09.

#45 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,597 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 19:21

Much like when they visit Brazil most teams will step up security for their team members. It's the journalists and tourists that would be subject to the more petty crime - but that's the same for the majority of the races.

#46 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 19:27

Much like when they visit Brazil most teams will step up security for their team members. It's the journalists and tourists that would be subject to the more petty crime - but that's the same for the majority of the races.

True. I was just a little surprised that Mexico was on the list until I looked into recent events.

#47 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 20:07

i can't believe how many Canadian tourists have been subjected to violence or crime while travelling in Mexico, that makes me hesitate to attend a GP there.

#48 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 20:32

What European venue will this be at the expense of, then?

#49 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 22:03

What European venue will this be at the expense of, then?

After today, surely we have our answer?

#50 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 23:18

Yawn. Wake me up when FP1 happens.