- - - - -

Question about F1 CE.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:19

Today I gave this old game a go. I was sick of CM games so I decided to play a quick race in this game. And it surprised me, I thought it was way worse. Don´t get me wrong: it´s nowhere near CM efforts, but I was surprised to see it´s WAY better in some areas, like damage, replays, overall looks and AI agression despite being a very old game.

There goes the question: anyone around has played this with a wheel, and remember how much handling improves? The handling looks quite bad but I´m sure that most of it comes from the fact that they did a poor job adapting the game for controller. The steering is ****, and the throttle and brake are nearly on/off switches... and I suspect a wheel could bring it alive. I´m planning getting a wheel anyway for other games, so I was curious if it would make this a bit better too, as I´m able to have some fun with it. Anyone with good memory can help?

Advertisement

#2 Harry

Harry

• 182 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 20:10

So happy you opened this topic. F1: CE on PS3 is an excellent game, with excellent features. It is a real F1 game and also handles excellently with a wheel.

I actually even started a fantasy F1 season with the game, you can watch the videos of the races I captured as well, see this thread:

My F1: CE Fantasy League

Codemasters F1 games (on PS3) have been poor since their first in my opinion, I love F1 2010, but pretty much hate 2011 and especially 2012.

#3 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 21:59

So happy you opened this topic. F1: CE on PS3 is an excellent game, with excellent features. It is a real F1 game and also handles excellently with a wheel.

I actually even started a fantasy F1 season with the game, you can watch the videos of the races I captured as well, see this thread:

My F1: CE Fantasy League

Codemasters F1 games (on PS3) have been poor since their first in my opinion, I love F1 2010, but pretty much hate 2011 and especially 2012.

Thanks mate, I´d like to hear from anyone with some experiece with the game and a wheel. Will have to try then. The handling with a pad is just lame, the steering is mega responsive for small inputs and very slow turning in, there are no catchable slides (you either spin or not) and brake and throttle are bad and not progressive at all even using the triggers... it´s a disaster.

I still have no hope on the game matching any of the CM later efforts, but maybe plugging a wheel once I get it can get me some fun. I enjoyed driving a F1 car that still looked nice :lol: And I was SO surpirsed when an AI car dared to outbrake me down the inside from 5 meters back, unlike in CM games...

Edited by Skinnyguy, 25 February 2013 - 22:02.

#4 Harry

Harry

• 182 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:09

I only have experience of the game with a wheel. It's excellent, and certainly not easy. It is the hardest F1 game on PS3 without a doubt.

Here's a good site for setups:

http://f1cecarsetups.wetpaint.com/

Edited by Harry, 26 February 2013 - 02:11.

#5 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:54

I only have experience of the game with a wheel. It's excellent, and certainly not easy. It is the hardest F1 game on PS3 without a doubt.

Here's a good site for setups:

http://f1cecarsetups.wetpaint.com/

You can say that again, it´s damn hard to be consistent. With a controller is hard for the wrong reasons though, like the steering being so **** that makes you not being able to be exactly on the part of the track you want on a straight, or the triggers working really bad and being no sensitive at all.

But after reading that you can be 2-3 seconds faster just swapping to a wheel, there must surely be some serious trouble with the controller settings. Will deffo give it a go with a wheel to see what I´m missing. There are some pretty obvious flaws in the game, but I still think I can get some fun out of it. Thanks for your feedback mate!

#6 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,842 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:36

You can say that again, it´s damn hard to be consistent. With a controller is hard for the wrong reasons though, like the steering being so **** that makes you not being able to be exactly on the part of the track you want on a straight, or the triggers working really bad and being no sensitive at all.

But after reading that you can be 2-3 seconds faster just swapping to a wheel, there must surely be some serious trouble with the controller settings. Will deffo give it a go with a wheel to see what I´m missing. There are some pretty obvious flaws in the game, but I still think I can get some fun out of it. Thanks for your feedback mate!

A tip: I use a Xbox controller with rFactor and GP4, and the deciding setting you have to chance is the sensitivity of the axis. In rFactor that means putting the slides of the sensitivity to 10 percent for almost all axes, in GP4 I have to put the sensitivity to 100 percent! Theoretically that would mean steering that would not do anything, but in reality the steering become just fine then.

#7 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 23:44

A tip: I use a Xbox controller with rFactor and GP4, and the deciding setting you have to chance is the sensitivity of the axis. In rFactor that means putting the slides of the sensitivity to 10 percent for almost all axes, in GP4 I have to put the sensitivity to 100 percent! Theoretically that would mean steering that would not do anything, but in reality the steering become just fine then.

Thaks for the tip mate. Sadly this game has no options to fine-tune controllers, only wheels. :cry:

#8 Harry

Harry

• 182 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:52

Don't you have a wheel? I reccommend Logitech Driving Force Pro/GT.

You can see my fastest laps in the results section of each race in that page of mine I linked earlier.

#9 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 14:07

Don't you have a wheel? I reccommend Logitech Driving Force Pro/GT.

You can see my fastest laps in the results section of each race in that page of mine I linked earlier.

Still not. Planning to get one. Would like something with a formula style rim, or at least not completely circular, but everything like that is mega expensive. Will have a look at reviews of that one you mention.

#10 Harry

Harry

• 182 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:32

I don't think a formula style rim would add that much to the feel you get of the steering wheel, the place where you keep your hands placed for 99% of racing is near enough identical it is just that the wheel is full-circle as aposed to the top and bottom being cut off.

If you're looking to break the bank I would suggest a second-hand Logitech G25 as they are widely regarded as better than the newer G27.

#11 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:41

I don't think a formula style rim would add that much to the feel you get of the steering wheel, the place where you keep your hands placed for 99% of racing is near enough identical it is just that the wheel is full-circle as aposed to the top and bottom being cut off.

I just don´t like the top getting in the way of the screen, and as I´m in a low sofa and the TV is quite close and slightly higher, it that will happen unless the top is cut out. If I find a not too expensive one I´ll go for it, I don´t want anything fancy with LEDs and that stuff, just something that works properly and with good FFB and weight feel. If I can´t find anything like that, a small circular one will do.

If you're looking to break the bank I would suggest a second-hand Logitech G25 as they are widely regarded as better than the newer G27.

They´re hard to find. And I fear some compatibility issues for games in the near future, being a quite old (even if everyone agrees on it being good) wheel.

#12 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 14:21

I prefer the handling on the cm games, with a DFGT, but I'm terms of difficulty and damage this is streets ahead. There's no qualifying a second clear on the hardest difficulty on this game.

#13 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 16:16

I prefer the handling on the cm games, with a DFGT, but I'm terms of difficulty and damage this is streets ahead. There's no qualifying a second clear on the hardest difficulty on this game.

Sums up my thoughts. Handling was primitive, but the overall experience wasn´t worse because of that.

About difficulty, I loaded my old career, and to my surprise I was EXACTLY where the car should be. I was driving a Red Bull and I was the best of the rest after both Ferraris, Renaults, McLaren and Hondas. Both Toyotas and Toro Rosso drivers very close to me, just like my teammate. Sure, there are still places (corners, sectors, circuits) where they are too slow or too fast, but overall is nice, and unlike in CM games AI won´t hesitate launching one down the inside if you don´t cover properly and they are close. Having said that, there were too much setup exploits (something CM games still have) making you much faster than you should be, but not using them lets you just where your car should be.

And after some days of playing, I´m starting to post a good number of consecutive laptimes 3 tenths away of each other, even with a controller. So finally the fuel load and tyre wear are starting to matter and I´m seeing what the game is capable of. And considering how old this is, it´s not worse than CM games overall. If a 2007 game can run 22 cars grid without stuttering and freezing FPS, I can´t see why CM guys can´t do it.

#14 Superbar

Superbar

• 427 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:01

If a 2007 game can run 22 cars grid without stuttering and freezing FPS, I can´t see why CM guys can´t do it.

Well, I would think since it's an exclusive Sony title it is better optimised for the PS3, but at the same time since it was a release title it doesn't really pusch the hardware. If that makes any sence... but I'm just guessing. :drunk:

#15 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:51

Was watching YouTube of it just now; commentary by Allen and brundle is miles better than 'you're five seconds ahead of the car behind' cm race engineer too.

And yeah if they could make 22 cars run so well 6 years ago, there's no reason at all that code masters shouldn't now, when they've made three games they sure as heck should know how to optimise it properly for all three platforms.

#16 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:41

...but at the same time since it was a release title it doesn't really pusch the hardware.

A racing game MUST be fluid. If you have to sacrifice some detail to keep the thing running smooth, that´s the right thing to do.

CM guys are not smart, they keep paying too much attention to stupid things... an example: until last patch on 2012 game, you could see in your mirrors distant Pirelli banners or trees being left behind for seconds, but once a car was more than 5 meters behind it would vanish, making impossible to see a passing attempt comming. If you have restrictions, you must be smart deciding what your priorities are. These guys are not.

#17 Harry

Harry

• 182 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 20:20

There are so many things wrong with F1 2012 I couldn't even begin to list. An awful game in my opinion. F1 2010 however is brilliant. That is my favourite F1 game ever.

I read somewhere a while back that the team which developed 2010 lost a lot of staff after its release, I can't say I'm surprised. Since then the games have been getting worse.

#18 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:46

There are so many things wrong with F1 2012 I couldn't even begin to list. An awful game in my opinion. F1 2010 however is brilliant. That is my favourite F1 game ever.

I read somewhere a while back that the team which developed 2010 lost a lot of staff after its release, I can't say I'm surprised. Since then the games have been getting worse.

Handling has moved forward A LOT since 2010, it´s much better in 2012. Graphics have gone backwards (at least PS3 version is less smooth visually). Game modes are worse: we lost FP 1 and 2, and the ability to race a championship with a real driver, and they added pointless stuff. AI stays roughly the same.

#19 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:46

Today I gave this old game a go. I was sick of CM games so I decided to play a quick race in this game. And it surprised me, I thought it was way worse. Don´t get me wrong: it´s nowhere near CM efforts, but I was surprised to see it´s WAY better in some areas, like damage, replays, overall looks and AI agression despite being a very old game.

There goes the question: anyone around has played this with a wheel, and remember how much handling improves? The handling looks quite bad but I´m sure that most of it comes from the fact that they did a poor job adapting the game for controller. The steering is ****, and the throttle and brake are nearly on/off switches... and I suspect a wheel could bring it alive. I´m planning getting a wheel anyway for other games, so I was curious if it would make this a bit better too, as I´m able to have some fun with it. Anyone with good memory can help?

I played and adored F1:CE for a couple of years before F1 2010 blew it out of the water. I think F1:CE handles quite badly with the wheel compared to CM's efforts - with CM you can make the steering ratio 1:1, or make it even more responsive, with F1:CE the steering will only rotate at a certain speed, so that you don't feel as connected.

What F1:CE still does better than CM is its environmental FFB and somewhat remarkably, its graphics - F1:CE still looks stunning to me.

Advertisement

#20 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:06

Ok, what are you meant to do when it starts raining? I've struggled for grip on dry tyres, gone in to the pitlane and just driven straight through because the team weren't out for me.