Photo

'Madness in the Desert'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LordAston

LordAston

• 236 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 21:16

Did any of you manage to see the programme on BBC 4 about the history of the Paris Dakar rally last night?

If so what were your opinions on it?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

#2 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 22:34

Just saw the programme on i-player, certainly brought out many mixed emotions from the exhilaration of adventure for the individuals taking part to the questioning morality of holding a multi million dollar event through some of the poorest nations on earth seemingly irrespective of the cost in human lives.

A well made film about the rise and fall of one of the last real adventures on wheels.

#3 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:56

I saw a little and just felt an overriding sense of arrogant insularity on the part of the people involved. Precious little interaction with local people.obscene amounts of money being spent to enable eurotrash to play boy racers on sand dunes in somebody else's country. So how do I feel about he E African Safari- perhaps nostalgic but I always got the sense that the whole country got involved, black and white , local drivers and Europeans.

#4 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:09

I thought it was alright only. Difficult to cover 40 years of an event in one hour anyway, but the programme did seem completely obsessed with death. And whoever did the voice-over had some strange pronunciation, such as "rah-lee" for rally.