Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

How many countries will allow Adrian Sutil to race?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:22

Hi there.About two weeks ago I had a visa interview in the U.S embassy here to try and get a student visa to go study in the states and they were preety damn serious about criminal records.I had to bring in testimonials,certificate of good conduct and a background check was performed.It got me thinking,Adrian Sutil has a widely publicized criminal record so will he be frozen out of the U.S gp later this year?or does his EU passport give him some kind of immunity?
Also, there are also many other countries that may be strict,Australia for instance?China? the middle east countries?
I dont believe Force India signed him without the knowledge of this restrictions so might they have some contigency plan(a third driver) to step in incase Adrian is frozen out?
p.s this is not a bash thread on the contrary i think Adrian given good machinery can give the likes of Webber and Massa a run for their money.looking forward to your thoughts.

Advertisement

#2 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:35

He will be asking for a business related trip of a short duration, not some student visa lasting months. For the US he just needs an ESTA.

#3 AM14

AM14

• 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:35

Sutil said a few months ago that his conviction wouldn't prevent him from going to any races and I doubt that Force India would have given him the seat if they knew he couldn't compete in every race.

Edited by AM14, 28 February 2013 - 07:35.

#4 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:36

FI have most likely done their research. Also, Sutil is only going to the country for a few days, while someone who's getting a student visa is going to be living there for an extended period of time.

#5 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:36

The USA does not freeze out professional sports players becuase of past criminal records they have in other countries. If you got the 3 degree, it is because you planned to live and study here.

Our own NFL football players are shooting for the record number of murders, illegal gambling, and crimes against women...Adrian's little glass incident is hardly noteworthy in comparison.

#6 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:51

Okay and how about the countries that reserve admission at the point of entry?eg Abu dhabi and Australia I think can refuse your entry at the airport as they deem fit..

#7 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:57

Why should they?

#8 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:58

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:46

Wouldn't it be easier for him to say he's there on holiday? Just a weekend break at the Grand Prix?

Edit: Not being serious here if anyone is about to give me a lecture on immigration law.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 28 February 2013 - 10:05.

#10 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:51

Bernie and the FIA can pull strings to get anyone into any country.

Sutil will not face problems.

#11 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:53

How Many? every one of them, obviously.

#12 Oho

Oho

• 11,808 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:56

Okay and how about the countries that reserve admission at the point of entry?

That would be any country no matter what documents you carry unless you happen to be a citizen of the country in question, and some countries even use discretion with their own citizens, Iraq for example.

#13 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:59

there are things called 'Lawyers' who are paid millions to sort out these things, i don't expect him to have any trouble in any countries.

#14 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:05

I don't know if it will be easy as it seems right now. For example Patrick Kluivert (football), who had a criminal record in Europe because he had a huge car accident while drunken, had his troubles to enter the US for test game when he played for Barcelona. His lawyers have to sort it out, I guess they did their research before he signed the contract with force india

#15 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,805 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:09

Although I doubt Sutil will have any problems, wasn't there two Iranian mechanics at BMW who were locked out of the USA after the Canadian GP in 2007? It was a long time ago now so I can't remember the exact circumstances, but it seemed that they had done nothing wrong, they just weren't permitted entrance and that was that.

Edited by Jazza, 28 February 2013 - 10:10.

#16 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:11

Todd Carney, an Australian rugby league player, was refused entry to the UK because of his convictions, and none of his were as bad as assault.

I have heard of people who only wanted to come on a visit for a week or two being refused entry because of lesser convictions than assault.

It would serve him right if he were refused entry at the airport. Serve Force India right too.

#17 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:19

Todd Carney, an Australian rugby league player, was refused entry to the UK because of his convictions, and none of his were as bad as assault.

I have heard of people who only wanted to come on a visit for a week or two being refused entry because of lesser convictions than assault.

It would serve him right if he were refused entry at the airport. Serve Force India right too.

dudette whats the hate against Sutil and Force India? You frustrated they seemingly didnt take Bianchi?

Sutil paid for what he did... he took his sentence... and Lux even forgave him...

his action was a kneejerk reaction... and he didnt kill or rape anyone... just judging him for one mistake in his life is unfair

also like someone wrote before Sutil made sure that he could travel into all countries BEFORE trying for a new F1 seat

Edited by Sin, 28 February 2013 - 10:22.

#18 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:28

His crime really isn't a big deal, to refuse someone entry for that little incident if beyond stupid

#19 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,250 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:57

Sutil has got his suspended sentence, so what more "justice" needs to occur? He shouldn't have a problem getting into the US, he's white.

Edited by Disgrace, 28 February 2013 - 10:59.

Advertisement

#20 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:01

he better calls Saul.

#21 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 233 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:37

His crime really isn't a big deal, to refuse someone entry for that little incident if beyond stupid

Well, the US visa-immigration-homelandsecurity-unameit system is beyond stupid. The idea of having your passport/visa inspected by apes is bound to make everyone smile.

I think the same **** should be given to Americans travelling to civilised countries. Luckily that doesnt happen too often.

Sutil wont have any probs though.

Edited by Dzeidzei, 28 February 2013 - 11:38.

#22 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:48

dudette whats the hate against Sutil and Force India? You frustrated they seemingly didnt take Bianchi?

Sutil paid for what he did... he took his sentence... and Lux even forgave him...

his action was a kneejerk reaction... and he didnt kill or rape anyone... just judging him for one mistake in his life is unfair

also like someone wrote before Sutil made sure that he could travel into all countries BEFORE trying for a new F1 seat

+1
I am also of the opinion that a single drunken mistake should not be punished forever and would love Adrian to compete in all races but I just dont see some immigration officers sharing that point of view.
Havent there also been numerous rappers and musicians frozen from performing in the UK and middle east because of criminal records?

#23 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:49

+1
I am also of the opinion that a single drunken mistake should not be punished forever and would love Adrian to compete in all races but I just dont see some immigration officers sharing that point of view.
Havent there also been numerous rappers and musicians frozen from performing in the UK and middle east because of criminal records?

#24 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:52

+1

yeah but Sutil is german aka he is a citizen of an EU country, oftentimes you do not even get checked travelling between countries, we had that between Austria and Germany where we weren't checked...
I think an US citizen travelling to the UK might have a bigger problem there than a German citizen since the european countries in several aspects like that... work much closer together than the US with any european country

#25 kedia990

kedia990

• 433 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:11

Utter garbage. He's a fine person, a fine driver (holds a goddamn Superlicence, doesnt he?) who had a momentary lapse of sound judgement, and accepted punishment for it. Case closed.

And serve Force India right? For what exactly?

#26 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:13

He just needs to sort things early enough. He just needs to do his ESTA early, so that he can still get a VISA if the travel authorisation should be denied. But ESTA for example looks for terrorist or criminal activity in the US, so given hios travel reason it will hardly be a problem. (If starting the process early enough)

#27 GhostR

GhostR

• 3,783 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:21

I think it's unlikely he'll be outright refused entry, although there's always a chance the Asian countries might choose to do so (esp. China given that's where his offence occurred). Several of those countries are quite inconsistent in their approach to matters like this. All it would take for a country like, say, Malaysia to refuse him entry would be a sniff of some sort of political points to be made and they'll use his record to refuse entry (as they recently did to an Aussie politician).

#28 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:37

Why he wouldn't be allowed race or enter countries? If he has been punished and suffered it, there is no reason to stop him travelling right?

Things like that happen every day in the world and I don't see these people being stopped, unless police is still after him.

#29 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:40

yeah but Sutil is german aka he is a citizen of an EU country, oftentimes you do not even get checked travelling between countries, we had that between Austria and Germany where we weren't checked...
I think an US citizen travelling to the UK might have a bigger problem there than a German citizen since the european countries in several aspects like that... work much closer together than the US with any european country

thanks for that,I never realised an EU passport has those benefits

#30 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:45

He just needs to sort things early enough. He just needs to do his ESTA early, so that he can still get a VISA if the travel authorisation should be denied. But ESTA for example looks for terrorist or criminal activity in the US, so given hios travel reason it will hardly be a problem. (If starting the process early enough)

Would you mind explaining what an ESTA is?(too lazy to google)

#31 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:59

The EU has free movement rights for its citizens; we pretty much have the right to live or work anywhere in the EU without having to apply to the right to stay.

#32 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 13:49

That's questionable. Didn't BCE himself dodge Germany last year, for obvious reasons?

#33 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 13:53

It's beautful when you're travelling by road man, driving straight past all the "Welcome to...." signs. Many countries haven't even bothered to dismantle the buildings at the borders though, so you still see a load of people slowing almost to a stop thinking driving straight through can't possibly be allowed.

#34 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 13:56

Would you mind explaining what an ESTA is?(too lazy to google)

ESTA stands for Electronic System for Travel Authorization. It is a system which grants accesss to the US for International travelers who are seeking to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). A very simplified version of a VISA for citizens of selected European (incl. Germany) and Asian (incl. Australie and New Zealand) countries when travelling to the US for business or pleasure and plan to stay for less than 90 days.

#35 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:50

It's beautful when you're travelling by road man, driving straight past all the "Welcome to...." signs. Many countries haven't even bothered to dismantle the buildings at the borders though, so you still see a load of people slowing almost to a stop thinking driving straight through can't possibly be allowed.

Thats so cool,here in Africa you are greeted at the border by an AK-47 and immigration searches you and the vehicle for almost 4 hours,can get preety fustrating if you are in a hurry!

#36 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,780 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:21

Perhaps some of them have their doubts about Schengen so have left them there "just in case"? ;)

#37 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:48

Perhaps some of them have their doubts about Schengen so have left them there "just in case"?;)

I do remember seeing border guards in Switzerland frantically waving everyone through, but I assume they were stationed there as border customs as there is of course no passport control. I've annoyingly been stopped by Polish customs in a van, blue-lights, sirens the lot, about 1 mile from entering Germany. A 'standard' random check of the car.

I hadn't actually realised Croatia actually does have passport control and as the guards were seemingly on a smoking break I got 20 feet into Croatia before heart-stoppingly realising my error. One hour later and one failed attempt by the guard keep nodding toward my jeans pockets to try and get me to attempt to bribe him so he could tick his arrest quota for the day (mate, I can see the "Bribing officials is illegal" poster behind you, I know what you're doing), I was finally allowed into Croatia with a stamped passport this time!!

Ah, the vagaries of Europe....

#38 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:50

In the USA if you are famous you can get away with whatever you want... Sutil will have no problems getting into Texas.

#39 ChiltonsCats

ChiltonsCats

• 129 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:54

I hope his career crashes and burns and he's refused entry, he does not deserve to be a F1 driver.

Advertisement

#40 ChiltonsCats

ChiltonsCats

• 129 posts

I hope his career crashes and burns and he's refused entry, he does not deserve to be a F1 driver.

#41 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 576 posts

:smoking:

#42 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:10

I do remember seeing border guards in Switzerland frantically waving everyone through, but I assume they were stationed there as border customs as there is of course no passport control. I've annoyingly been stopped by Polish customs in a van, blue-lights, sirens the lot, about 1 mile from entering Germany. A 'standard' random check of the car.

I hadn't actually realised Croatia actually does have passport control and as the guards were seemingly on a smoking break I got 20 feet into Croatia before heart-stoppingly realising my error. One hour later and one failed attempt by the guard keep nodding toward my jeans pockets to try and get me to attempt to bribe him so he could tick his arrest quota for the day (mate, I can see the "Bribing officials is illegal" poster behind you, I know what you're doing), I was finally allowed into Croatia with a stamped passport this time!!

Ah, the vagaries of Europe....

Switzerland is not part of the EU and of course you are checked at the borders at some areas... but not everywhere... and not all the time

Edited by Sin, 28 February 2013 - 16:11.

#43 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,790 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:51

That's questionable. Didn't BCE himself dodge Germany last year, for obvious reasons?

That was about a very public and political open case, not a closed case of minor importance.

#44 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:56

True, but I think Bernie would save his strings for guys like Vettel and Alonso (not that I think they'll ever need it) than Sutil.

I agree with who said Force India must have done some reasearch on this already.

#45 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:56

How did he pay for what he did? I understood he got a suspended sentence. That's hardly paying for a very serious assault that could have killed someone.

#46 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,250 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:58

But didn't.

#47 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:08

:lol:

#48 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 22:50

Aaaah, good to see RC can still be relied on for sensible discussion

How did he pay for what he did? I understood he got a suspended sentence. That's hardly paying for a very serious assault that could have killed someone.

If you think thats serious assault then you really need to get out more.

#49 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:30

The man's done his time, so unless people think that it's in the public interest to have people who commit crimes forever be punished by them like Sisyphus instead of rehabilitating them then he is rightly putting it behind him and getting on with his life. In terms of travel, as long as he applies for visas in advance I doubt there'd be a problem, given that he is probably at low risk of reoffending and he also has a clearly defined schedule. It may have an impact on his ability to travel to ad hoc sponsor events, but that may actually work in his favour.

#50 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:39

Okay and how about the countries that reserve admission at the point of entry?eg Abu dhabi and Australia I think can refuse your entry at the airport as they deem fit..

Australia can bar entry if you are:

sentenced to either death or life imprisonment (how would you be flying then? :lol: )

sentenced to a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more

sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment (whether on one or more occasions), where the total of those terms is two years or more

acquitted of an offence on the grounds of either unsoundness of mind or insanity and, as a result, the person has been detained in a facility or institution.