Lola GT Mk6 by Serenissima

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 14:27

Behind this link http://www.riebencar...r...s&sprache=e
you'll find a couple of photos of a late derivation of Lola GT Mk6 that to my knowledge has never been seen in history books. It's said to be the chassis used by Bruce McLaren for Ford GT development that had somehow ended up at Count Volpi's Serenissima operation, where Alf Francis reputedly installed in it the same Serenissima engine that had been used in Bruce's F1 McLaren. Francis then took the car with him to the US and nothing is known of it since.
From the photos it can be seen that the Lola had been significantly revamped from original, with gull-wing doors etc. Why was this done and by who? What was the purpose of developing an old Eric Broadley design? Can anyone shed light on the story?

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 19:00

Here's a Classic & Sports Car article on the Lola Mk 6:

http://www.exactedit...12-30341/107/1/

which contains this:

Of the three Lola Mk 6s, the prototype Le Mans car – driven by Hobbs and Richard Attwood – is now owned by Allen Grant and is being restored in South Africa. The second was sold by Ford to Alf Francis and went to Italy. Discovered in the USA, hidden away and partly dismantled, it was extensively altered in 2000 to go historic racing. It has since been sold to Japan.

Then there's this article by TNFer Wouter Melissen:

http://www.ultimatec...k6-GT-Ford.html

which has this comment added:

I bought this car from alf francis...if you would like a detailed write up of how it made it to oklahoma U S A and the story about alf ...i would be glad to provide it...thanks jim whitmer

So far so good. However, here's another article on the car:

http://www.velocetod...of-interest-45/

which drew this comment from Toly Arutunoff:

In the early ’70s I bought out of a Serenissima storage garage the original Lola tub that Alf Francis got as a gift from Eric Broadley (Alf saw it in Eric’s back garden). It had, according to Alf, the only Massimino-designed F1 engine that Bruce McLaren hadn’t blown up, coupled to a Colotti gearbox. The upper rear section of bodywork was missing, as were the carbs. Ugolini’s assistant couldn’t believe that I accepted their $2,500 price on it. We put a Holley carb on a plenum manifold we built, and it ran well. Ugolini refused to consider selling the two Alf Francis-designed F1 engines in crates. They looked like V8 Bugattis.

Someone must know what really happened. :wave:

#3 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:00

I have to comment on my shock of seeing Toly involved with this car. :up:

I knew him as but a lad, one real character and a wicked-fast Club racer in a Morgan +4. :)

Edited by E1pix, 05 March 2013 - 08:01.

#4 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 14:26

I have to comment on my shock of seeing Toly involved with this car. :up:

I knew him as but a lad, one real character and a wicked-fast Club racer in a Morgan +4. :)

Not without questionable aero mods.  ;)

#5 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:28

More about this car might emerge in a feature story on sometime Serenissima mechanic Bruce McIntosh in a future issue of 'Motor Sport'...

Bruce's racing career began with BRP in 1959, and progressed through Parnell, Serenissima, Brabham, McLaren and others until the present day when he is still in harness as the FIA Tech Rep responsible for 2013 GP2 and GP3.

DCN

#6 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:58

More about this car might emerge in a feature story on sometime Serenissima mechanic Bruce McIntosh in a future issue of 'Motor Sport'...

Bruce's racing career began with BRP in 1959, and progressed through Parnell, Serenissima, Brabham, McLaren and others until the present day when he is still in harness as the FIA Tech Rep responsible for 2013 GP2 and GP3.

DCN

Thanks Doug, must keep an eye on that. The photos I was referring to above apparently came from Bruce McIntosh in the first place. I was trying to trace him , but lost track after Gordon Murray Engineering Ltd.