* * * * - 5 votes

Sebastian Vettel Grandstand in OZ

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 18:37

To help meet ticket demand, the Austrailian GP admins will erect a grandstand that pays tribute to the current Champion - Sebastian Vettel.

I think that is pretty cool. I suppose that in future years, if the seating is required, the tribute to the current champion will continue. Apart from being a good marketing tool, I really like that idea because I think that it is a public means of broadening the horizons for fans. We generally see this sort of thing keeping pretty nationalistic, so I think it is unique and forward thinking of the Aussies. :up:

http://sports.ndtv.c...?pform=showcase

http://www.formula1....13/3/14309.html

Advertisement

#2 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 18:38

bring on Vettel bashing :lol:

#3 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 18:41

god I hope karne can only buy a ticket to that grandstand :p

#4 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 18:59

I am a big Vettel fan, but a grandstand for him in Australia with an Australian team mate seems a bit risky. :)

Well, I hope it helps the Oz GP to make the money it needs.

#5 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,008 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 19:31

Why not ''Mark Webber Grandstand''?

#6 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 19:34

the sure way to attract attention is to name it 'MARK-o-Helmut' grandstand

#7 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 19:36

Nothing unusual- he is a 3x WDC and lots of the stands in Melbourne are named after champions.

#8 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 20:21

There still is a Webber stand as well.

The Vettel stand is a premium covered one though.

#9 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,204 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 22:10

I hate it when they do things like this. He's a three-time champion--we get it. No need to rub it in our faces. Tributes like this should be reserved for past drivers.

#10 MrFondue

MrFondue

• 375 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 22:44

god I hope karne can only buy a ticket to that grandstand :p

:lol:

#11 chumma

chumma

• 1,346 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 22:50

Its only named after him as he is current WDC. When someone else wins, it will become theirs. Karthikeyan stand has a nice ring to it doesnt it....ps where that stand is located used to be corporate seating which never really got the numbers (most corporate attendees are in the big pavillion at turn 1 or above the pit lane)

#12 redbarron

redbarron

• 314 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 22:54

I agree. They should name the stands from past drivers. Mark Webber makes sense for Australia, but they should wait until a driver finishes his F1 career before giving them such accolades.

#13 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 23:32

There are over 25 world champions who are not currently racing. I find it hard to believe that there are not enough non racing champs to take care of all the sections.

#14 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 23:54

Smack in the face for Webber. His teammate gets a stand at his home gp. Should really be called the "ultra flexing, massive rake, hot cold
Blowing ebd, what's the rra?, Adrian Newey stand"

#15 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:15

The Vettel stand is a premium covered one though.

.... in a rubbish part of the track.

Turn 1 Brabham for me.

#16 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:35

Its a good stand, but not great. Its all down to the designer really.

#17 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:37

Did they already name a stand after Adrian Newey?

#18 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:51

Well, he's already an all time great, logical decision for mine.

#19 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:50

I hate it when they do things like this. He's a three-time champion--we get it. No need to rub it in our faces. Tributes like this should be reserved for past drivers.

Rubbing it in your face? Do you forget when it isn't mentioned? I think it is a great idea.

Edited by bourbon, 07 March 2013 - 04:53.

Advertisement

#20 kedia990

kedia990

• 433 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:11

Well if Massa can get a kerb named after himself at Buddh, why not this? :lol:

#21 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:01

Its only named after him as he is current WDC. When someone else wins, it will become theirs. Karthikeyan stand has a nice ring to it doesnt it....ps where that stand is located used to be corporate seating which never really got the numbers (most corporate attendees are in the big pavillion at turn 1 or above the pit lane)

This - the stand is named after the current WDC.
Always cool and nice with new ideas - I think.

#22 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:11

I'm no Vettel fan but fair enough, he deserves it if he is the current WDC. Is the stands name dynamic?

#23 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:23

I'm no Vettel fan but fair enough, he deserves it if he is the current WDC. Is the stands name dynamic?

As I understand it - yes.
If Alonso, for example, wins this year - The stand will under 2014 season be called Alonso Grandstand

#24 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:30

I think a grandstand named after the reigning WDC is a good idea.

#25 aray

aray

• 5,818 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:38

if the name varies according to current champion,then nothing to object.....
but to give a permanent name,only retired greats should be considered....

#26 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:36

Schumacher had a stand while still driving ... before his multiples with Ferrari too IIRC

Unless it was named after Ralf?

#27 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:22

i don't care for any turns, but if there is a bar near the track, they should rename it Raikkonen bar

in any case, kimi has a gate named after him in Interlagos :lol:

actually, this is a great game, name turns and stands after WDC's, in that case, all the plesure yachts in Monacco should be 'Raikkonen stand' :smoking:

#28 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:41

Webber's apparently getting a whine bar named after him...,

#29 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:47

Webber's apparently getting a whine bar named after him...,

which should serve the famous Trulli whine with webber's canberra milk and button's milk :o

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:53

Did they already name a stand after Adrian Newey?

No love for the designers.
They also have a Schumacher-stand, instead of a Byrne stand.
Preposterous!

#31 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:15

Yes, that's absolutely outrageous! :mad: I'm deeply offended on behalf of Byrne and Newey.

;)

I think the idea is rather neat to have stand dedicated to the current WDC.

#32 danstheman

danstheman

• 608 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:33

There is already a Webber stand anyway at the start of the main straight.

It's good there is another stand there as it will be where most of the overtaking will occur and it's mostly corporates around there

#33 stuck-in-first-gear

stuck-in-first-gear

• 1,877 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:09

Is the stands name dynamic?

That depends on Vettel :smoking:

#34 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,204 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 15:12

Rubbing it in your face? Do you forget when it isn't mentioned? I think it is a great idea.

On the contrary, being world champion is an achievement that speaks for itself. I don't think that we the viewers need to be reminided who the world champion is by a named grandstand, and to say that we do is almost an insult to how closely we follow the sport or how seriously we take the achievement. Reserve the naming of trackside structures for people who have finished their journey in F1; it devalues the achievements of past drivers to have our current drivers earn such recognition midway through their careers when it took past drivers their entire careers to earn the equivalent plaudits, despite similar achievements. I don't think anyone finds Fangio's hat-trick any less impressive than Vettel's, but no-one back in the day named any grandstands after him while he was racing. It doesn't strike me as being right; almost like a severe case of pre-emptive chicken-counting in the name of marketing.

Just my two cents, anyway.

#35 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:23

I don't really get this, you wouldn't name a street or make a statue of a living 25 year old athlete, so a stand doesn't seem right neither. Hell I'm not even very okay with naming things after Michael Schumacher, he was bloody driving in the last race. It's all very awkward.

But I won't get angry or lose sleep over something this trivial.

#36 ANF

ANF

• 29,327 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:50

Wait, is this really a discussion about the name of a grandstand? Who cares if they name it Vettel, East C or 42-F?

#37 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 21:12

I won't go down well here in Oz, Vettel ain't the most popular guy down under.

#38 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:01

Lol, will people refuse to sit in it?

#39 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:43

Is the grandstand being created in the shape of a giant finger?

Advertisement

#40 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 23:45

On the contrary, being world champion is an achievement that speaks for itself. I don't think that we the viewers need to be reminided who the world champion is by a named grandstand, and to say that we do is almost an insult to how closely we follow the sport or how seriously we take the achievement. Reserve the naming of trackside structures for people who have finished their journey in F1; it devalues the achievements of past drivers to have our current drivers earn such recognition midway through their careers when it took past drivers their entire careers to earn the equivalent plaudits, despite similar achievements. I don't think anyone finds Fangio's hat-trick any less impressive than Vettel's, but no-one back in the day named any grandstands after him while he was racing. It doesn't strike me as being right; almost like a severe case of pre-emptive chicken-counting in the name of marketing.

Just my two cents, anyway.

See my remark about the Schumacher stand, it was there in 2001 for sure ... when he had achieved, arguably, less than Vettel* (im not going to defend or discuss that point, just as a comparison as Vettels are 3 consecutive)

I don't really get this, you wouldn't name a street or make a statue of a living 25 year old athlete, so a stand doesn't seem right neither. Hell I'm not even very okay with naming things after Michael Schumacher, he was bloody driving in the last race. It's all very awkward.

I know of some in Australia, so maybe its a local thing?

I won't go down well here in Oz, Vettel ain't the most popular guy down under.

Load of crap. You obviously take as gospel what the uninformed local press spew out about F1 (which according to them goes for 3 days in March)

Edited by Brother Fox, 07 March 2013 - 23:48.

#41 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:05

But I won't get angry or lose sleep over something this trivial.

Mario Balottelli has ordered a life-sized statue of himself for his front lawn. Just saying. :lol:

But back on topic I love the idea of a grandstand named after the current world champion. Especially one named after Sebastian.

#42 fastdriver

fastdriver

• 575 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 14:11

Are people really getting this worked up over naming a stand after SV? Like really? Really REALLY???
So what? They needed to create more seats to meet demand. They thought, hey why not name it after the reigning WDC (who happens to have the name Sebastien Vettel)? What on earth is the big deal? :o

And people getting offended because it is being named after someone still in F1. So does being "current" mean you cannot be "legend" as well even if you have already achieved 3 titles? Is it a bad thing to be great and still be in F1 or do you only become great when you are no longer in the sport? :confused:

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO UPSET ABOUT THIS????

#43 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 14:43

Are people really getting this worked up over naming a stand after SV? Like really? Really REALLY???
So what? They needed to create more seats to meet demand. They thought, hey why not name it after the reigning WDC (who happens to have the name Sebastien Vettel)? What on earth is the big deal? :o

And people getting offended because it is being named after someone still in F1. So does being "current" mean you cannot be "legend" as well even if you have already achieved 3 titles? Is it a bad thing to be great and still be in F1 or do you only become great when you are no longer in the sport? :confused:

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO UPSET ABOUT THIS????

Uh, you're the only one that seems upset here.

Of course he's done something that will stay in history forever, he will be a legend no matter what, I only personally find naming things after present competitors a bit awkward, it's no big deal.

#44 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 22:35

Smack in the face for Webber. His teammate gets a stand at his home gp. Should really be called the "ultra flexing, massive rake, hot cold
Blowing ebd, what's the rra?, Adrian Newey stand"

That's hilarious. :rotfl:

#45 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 23:27

Wait, is this really a discussion about the name of a grandstand? Who cares if they name it Vettel, East C or 42-F?

Less than a week till we can start having silly arguments about actual racing. :p

#46 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:17

Austrailian GP admins will erect a grandstand that pays tribute to the current Champion - Sebastian Vettel.

Too much demand for the Jack Brabham & Alan Jones grandstands.;)

A bit strange for a current competitor to have his own grandstand.

#47 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:20

Lol, will people refuse to sit in it?

Vettel is not as unpopular as Kyle Busch, in fact I would say he seems nice enough and quite popular most of the time.

Just don't twirl that finger if he collides making a clumsy move on car #2 for the lead. That will not go down well with the crowd. :)