Photo

The Turbo Encabulator

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 18:32

Having just cited this in a presentation on internet misinformation to the 7th Connoisseurship Symposium at the Collier Museum in Naples, FL, I feel the following is important to share with all like-minded enthusiasts... I am confident you will all agree that it is as important today as it was when first filmed.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 08 March 2013 - 18:37.

Advertisement

#2 berkeleybill

berkeleybill

• 36 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 18:47

Having just cited this in a presentation on internet misinformation to the 7th Connoisseurship Symposium at the Collier Museum in Naples, FL, I feel the following is important to share with all like-minded enthusiasts... I am confident you will all agree that it is as important today as it was when first filmed.

DCN

I can't stop laughing ! Fantastic and very clever.

#3 Cavalier53

Cavalier53

• 306 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 20:08

Can I order one for my '64 Renault R8? I hate those 3 litre Capri's making a fool of my tiny car in Youngtimer races :)

#4 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 333 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 20:11

The Turbo Encabulator has a long and honourable history in engineering;

http://en.wikipedia....urboencabulator

It's said that Bud Haggart, who did the original film/video and, I think, the later Chrysler one, did it ad lib with no script or rehearsal.

He was a professional actor but how on earth did he keep a straight face? :)

Edited by plannerpower, 08 March 2013 - 20:12.

#5 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 20:11

Reminds me of an episode of the Dukes of Hazard when none other than Cale Yarborough himself was testing a turbocharger out in the back roads of Hazard County said device IIRC was a black box, that might more believably have been described as an electronic ignition pack :drunk:

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 20:17

I think Chrysler upstaged them with this:

http://www.youtube.c...ature=endscreen

#7 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 20:18

I think Professor Stanley Unwin could have explained it more clearly...

#8 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 20:45

Early Brock Commodores were fitted with a similar device. :rolleyes:

#9 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 20:56

I think Chrysler upstaged them with this:

The difference is, with this one you can tell from the first frame it's supposed to be funny, and it therefore doesn't succeed as well as the earlier version
IMHO

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 00:27

There is one further and hitherto secret detail regarding the Turbo Encabulator, which I am now authorised to reveal.

Its conception and design was entirely the work of the legendary Edgar Jessop, who devised it after an extensive study and a meticulous exploration of the inner workings of Miss Shilling's Orifice.;)

#11 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:22

I'm sorry. The US government bought the rights to the technology and it hasn't been heard of since.

Bob Mackenzie

#12 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:40

Well, I think it's a gross misuse of spurving bearings.

#13 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:49

Well, I think it's a gross misuse of spurving bearings.

Spurving Bearings. That name rings a bell. Wasn't he a NASCAR racer back in the 60's?

#14 Cargo

Cargo

• 244 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:52

yes, very good vid ... :)

But this reminds me of some device that wasn't a comical hoax but was taken seriously by some race drivers (Nascar?) and fitted to their cars about 20 years ago. It harnessed "cosmic rays" or "ley lines" or similar to make the engine give more power. Actually I think it could have been down in Oz. I remember other drivers ridiculing the contraption. Google ain't helping me.... but I don't think my memory is playing tricks. Any other TNFer remember details of this thing??

#15 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,774 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:30

Any other TNFer remember details of this thing??

See post number 8.

#16 Cargo

Cargo

• 244 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:47

See post number 8.

Thanks CP. That's it :) Relieved my memory wasn't playing tricks. The Brock "Energy Polariser"! I see its written up on Wiki - "The device was based on the principles of orgone pseudoscience" whatever that is. I note with a laugh that you had to adjust tyre pressures when using it! Very rare to see engineers believing in such nonsense.

#17 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,774 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:51

I doubt that any engineers believed it.

#18 johnthebridge

johnthebridge

• 72 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 13:50

You fools! Surely, it's obvious, even to those of you who possess little scientific knowledge, exactly why the Encabulator failed to make any impression?
Dingle arms! This idiot is suggesting the use of DINGLE ARMS! My God, that technology went out with the Ark! I'm in no doubt whatsoever that the Turbo Thingummy would now be ruling our lives, if only they'd thought more seriously about using this archaic equipment, already banned in some Southern States.
My nurse has just told me I have to return to my room now and lie down for a while.

#19 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 15:05

Here is the spec sheet for the GE model:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bob Mackenzie

Advertisement

#20 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 17:30

You fools! Surely, it's obvious, even to those of you who possess little scientific knowledge, exactly why the Encabulator failed to make any impression?
Dingle arms! This idiot is suggesting the use of DINGLE ARMS! My God, that technology went out with the Ark! I'm in no doubt whatsoever that the Turbo Thingummy would now be ruling our lives, if only they'd thought more seriously about using this archaic equipment, already banned in some Southern States.
My nurse has just told me I have to return to my room now and lie down for a while.

Thanks for this voice of reason!! Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that this tendency today of making fun of EVERYTHING is quite disturbing? One would think that people would sit back and take a minute or two to actually think about whether the government would spend that much money if it was all just a hoax!??? Fools, indeed! :rolleyes:

We should also be grateful for this sort of forward thinking, even if it sounds VERY expensive, but history teaches us that after initial costs are covered, prices will eventually begin to tumble. Just think of all the things we take for granted today, yet nobody could afford just a few years back: colour TV, mobile phones, sliced bread or even the computer you're facing right now! Pretty soon, everybody will be able to afford one, and who will be laughing then, I ask!! ):

#21 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 18:09

My challenge now is to sneak this into a corner of OldRacingCars.com, perhaps when describing the difference in specification between Formule France in 1970 and Formule Renault in 1971, and see how long it takes to be copied to Wikipedia.

#22 Supersox

Supersox

• 105 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 18:28

My challenge now is to sneak this into a corner of OldRacingCars.com, perhaps when describing the difference in specification between Formule France in 1970 and Formule Renault in 1971, and see how long it takes to be copied to Wikipedia.

I'll be looking over your shoulder Allen

#23 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 21:37

Thanks CP. That's it :) Relieved my memory wasn't playing tricks. The Brock "Energy Polariser"! I see its written up on Wiki - "The device was based on the principles of orgone pseudoscience" whatever that is. I note with a laugh that you had to adjust tyre pressures when using it! Very rare to see engineers believing in such nonsense.

The "Energy Polariser" did not do Peter Brock's credibility much good at all, although his 'believers' stood by him.

#24 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:40

I'm sure I've still got a couple of Spurving bearings in the garage, I'll just nip outside and have a look, I may be some time.......

#25 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:48

DCN

Somebody equally clever should send up the global warming, C02 and wind turbine scam.

#26 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:40

I'm sure I've still got a couple of Spurving bearings in the garage, I'll just nip outside and have a look, I may be some time.......

Wasn't he Mini Miglia Champion circa 1973 - Phil Spurving !!

#27 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 00:28

Easy: was it 1975, when Renault introduced FRE to complement FR; the E standing for Encabulator, naturally! :D

#28 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:13

Righty then. I need one of those thingys. Where can I get one?