* * * - - 8 votes

Hamilton: "A duel with Button doesn't excite me"

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#51 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:38

You're right. But not being humble is not the same as praising himself. If you are good, people will see that without you pointing it out. Lewis doesn't need self-praising. Everyone knows that he's a great driver. And you actually should achieve something great before saying anything.

My opinion on MS is my personal opinion only. But MS won 7 WDCs -- something no other F1 driver did. His achievements speak for themselves. He's the only driver who can actually say, "Yes, I'm the best" without sounding arrogant.

Lewis saying he wants to be seen as a great is not self praise....seriously you are clearly digging for something to say Lewis did wrong,in this case there is nothing,had it been another driver that this article was about and not Lewis,i doubt this thread would exist.

Advertisement

#52 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,180 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:38

He's right. Its easy to forget Button is a world champion, i put him in the Hill category of Luck>Skill

or villenuve :smoking:

but in all honesty, we the fans who watched 04/05/06, i.e before hamilton came, we always assume there will be the battle of the bulge with KR, MS and FA, specially after 2005 ... but it all went sour with the re-suffling.

but i get LH, the only season he was truly fighting a single person was in 2007, in 08, he wasn't really fighting FP till the last few races (or the last race in brazil), after that , both he and mclaren got distracted and failed to mount any challenge.

who knows, LH/FA battle may provide us with some intense excitement as 2007, with SV as 3rd party ... and with KR as dark horse.

Edited by eronrules, 10 March 2013 - 15:43.

#53 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:39

Ok fair enough, MS is a true great who can be allowed to be arrogant

What about ramming another driver off the track and getting disqualified? This doesnt affect his greatness, but LH's arrogance does?

:smoking:

I already said I'm no fanboy -- not even MS's. I can't say I approve of anything he's ever done: I don't. If anything, I'm a long-time Ferrari fan who just happens to dislike the team's current drivers. I'll just tell you this: Lewis should just concentrate on driving and talk less. He should let his achievements speak for themselves. He's got the talent. I know he can become great and not just talk about it. Less talking, more doing.

#54 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 513 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:39

Don't they do this every year? Ask both Hamilton and Alonso who they see as the man to beat?
They say each other and everybody takes it the wrong way (Vettle fans). 2007 was the start of a great rivalry between 2 HOF drivers, where FA is seen as a complete 'drivers' driver and LH is still climbing the creditabilty ladder. They seem to stroke each other maybe to get under SVs skin alittle. Who knows, but it's fun to watch.

#55 caso

caso

• 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:45

This is actually a very clever statement from Lewis.
After all, it's clear Jenson gets his kicks from fighting with Lewis. Now,
When jenson reads Lewis' isn't excited by their battles, it may get in his head a bit,
Jenson may try to race differently,bit more balsy, but not his fastest style.
Also, Lewis is doing well not to say anything that gets McLaren juices flowing.

This theory seems rather far-fetched to me. It might've been Hamilton's intention to stir things up a little,
but Button never struck me as naive or stupid. When the season starts he will be
the driver with the most f1-races under his belt and his driving style
got him one WDC (Same amount as Lewis). Button is surely self-reliant enough to
not be influenced by a harmless quip.

Edited by caso, 10 March 2013 - 17:02.

#56 NoDivergence

NoDivergence

• 1,785 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:49

I already said I'm no fanboy -- not even MS's. I can't say I approve of anything he's ever done: I don't. If anything, I'm a long-time Ferrari fan who just happens to dislike the team's current drivers. I'll just tell you this: Lewis should just concentrate on driving and talk less. He should let his achievements speak for themselves. He's got the talent. I know he can become great and not just talk about it. Less talking, more doing.

He is already great, McLaren just screwed him a couple of times. That's all. Everything points to him being EXTREMELY focused on driving this year. Moreso than he ever was at McLaren

#57 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,853 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:59

I tell you what. Now that Hamilton is out of McLaren I will throw plenty cheers his way.

#58 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,791 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 16:02

I'll tell you what, when I'm racing in career mode on F1 2012 a duel with Button doesn't excite me either :)

Edited by Kvothe, 10 March 2013 - 16:03.

#59 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 16:17

You're right. But not being humble is not the same as praising himself. If you are good, people will see that without you pointing it out. Lewis doesn't need self-praising. Everyone knows that he's a great driver. And you actually should achieve something great before saying anything.

My opinion on MS is my personal opinion only. But MS won 7 WDCs -- something no other F1 driver did. His achievements speak for themselves. He's the only driver who can actually say, "Yes, I'm the best" without sounding arrogant.

Nope that would sound just as arrogant, and would be frankly untrue now. You can claim he was the best, but he has now been surpassed by other drivers, even if his records have not been broken.

Advertisement

#60 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,277 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 16:20

Comments like this are not very smart, all they do is give the target (Button) added motivation and determination. Not something you want to give to a direct competitor.

Alos to be starting the the trash talk so early makes me wonder about Hamilton's mental focus for 2013. Is he focused like 2012 or is this 2011 to be repeated?

ps. Hamilton may want to be seen as being in a competition to be 'best of the best' but really he needs to focus on beating his teammate first.

Well, he's beaten his teammates through all his career (bar 2011) so I don't think he worries too much about that.
Nico could beat him, I'm not saying it's impossible, but LH has always more or less had the edge over his teammates.

#61 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,045 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 16:23

Hamilton may not be excited about Racing Button, but I think a number of fans will be excited watching it.

#62 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 16:34

Here is what thread title says: "A duel with Button doesn't excite me"

Here is what he said: "The rivalry between me and Fernando excites me more"

Quotations, how do they work? Excites me more =/= doesn't excite

Typical media bullshit bending to sensationalize. What he says makes perfect sense. Duel with one of the top 3, rather than a tier 2 = more exciting.

What an idiot.

Since when does saying battling one of the clear top 3 is more exciting than Button make someone an idiot? But I know from which angle you are coming from anyway.

Edited by Alx09, 10 March 2013 - 16:40.

#63 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 16:44

Nope that would sound just as arrogant, and would be frankly untrue now. You can claim he was the best, but he has now been surpassed by other drivers, even if his records have not been broken.

He's the only one who has the titles to back such a statement, but yes, it would still sound arrogant--and untrue--to many people. Everyone has a different opinion on that, after all. That's why I'm of the opinion that great people should never speak about how great and awesome they are. There would be a lot of people who disagree and it would make any person look stupid.

#64 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,954 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 16:53

It's really come to something when Hamilton is getting slammed by a few people for NOT getting personal in wanting to beat a former team mate. Oh how dare he!

And as if somewhere Jenson is having a little cry over it going 'I don't believe it! After all we went through, is it really too much to ask that he snarl and express a wish to smash me off the track?'

Sorry he didn't jump at the journalist shiny hook offered him and say he wanted to start a pointless feud that a bunch of people are already way too unpleasantly invested in on each driver's behalf, I guess.

#65 Topsu

Topsu

• 737 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 16:53

Just because Button lucked with the whole Brawn show of 2009 doesn't make him an A-class driver. You don't put drivers into different tiers only based on the amount of championships they have gathered. Button's WDC is not as big as Hamilton's WDC. There are Hamilton, Alonso ja Vettel who stand out in my opinion, sometimes even Räikkönen. In that sense Hamilton is right.

#66 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:04

'I expect myself to excel. Ultimately, I want to achieve greatness. I want to prove my abilities year after year. Michael is seen as an all-time great, Seb is, too. I want to be seen as great as well.’

So much insecurity from this guy that I wonder if he ever makes it.

#67 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:08

'I expect myself to excel. Ultimately, I want to achieve greatness. I want to prove my abilities year after year. Michael is seen as an all-time great, Seb is, too. I want to be seen as great as well.’

So much insecurity from this guy that I wonder if he ever makes it.

eh what?

Wanting to achieve is a sign of insecurity?? :stoned:

#68 caso

caso

• 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:15

Just because Button lucked with the whole Brawn show of 2009 doesn't make him an A-class driver. You don't put drivers into different tiers only based on the amount of championships they have gathered. Button's WDC is not as big as Hamilton's WDC. There are Hamilton, Alonso ja Vettel who stand out in my opinion, sometimes even Räikkönen. In that sense Hamilton is right.

I have to disagree. IMO every championship is a great achievement and I don't think it is possible to 'luck' into it. A win, maybe, but not a championship over a whole season.

Who are we to judge whether the win of a championship was 'big' or not? :cat:

#69 Huambo81a

Huambo81a

• 108 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:15

Apparently yes, we are now at a stage where showing respect to Alonso and Seb, and saying that you hope to join them, is now a sign of insecurity.

#70 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:26

In fact this is only a continuation of the play between Alonso and Hamilton trying to make each other look better. I bet that after 2007/2008 both were certain that only they would be winning titles in the next years, and it seems neither of the two has come to terms with reality.

I was just amused by the fact, that Lewis sometimes shows so little respect to other drivers, yet he seems to care about the respect he gets from other drivers.

#71 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:26

eh what?

Wanting to achieve is a sign of insecurity?? :stoned:

The constant talk about wanting to prove himself, wanting to be a great is. You never hear Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher say that, instead they just get on with delivering. The way Hamilton talks how Vettel stole his youngest ever champion-crown makes me think Hamilton doubts himself. Maybe that is the difference in greatness: mental strenght.

#72 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:27

oh another one pipes up

The fact that the two top-line Britons are now in different camps will create further interest in 2013, but Hamilton makes it clear he is not really bothered about what his old team-mate Jenson Button does. "The thing with Jenson doesn't really excite me," he claims. "The rivalry between me and Fernando excites me more. I always say that, because he's the benchmark.

Is it really arrogant to find a battle with Fernando more exciting?

If Button comes out and says he finds the battle with Vettel more exciting, I can 100% guarantee, you'll be singing a different tune.

#73 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:28

The constant talk about wanting to prove himself, wanting to be a great is. You never hear Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher say that, instead they just get on with delivering. The way Hamilton talks how Vettel stole his youngest ever champion-crown makes me think Hamilton doubts himself. Maybe that is the difference in greatness: mental strenght.

Really, do you read German newspapers?

Why would a british Newspaper report on Vettel?

I asure you they have said similar stuff.

#74 rileyl

rileyl

• 461 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:31

I have to disagree. IMO every championship is a great achievement and I don't think it is possible to 'luck' into it. A win, maybe, but not a championship over a whole season.

Who are we to judge whether the win of a championship was 'big' or not? :cat:

I agree with Caso! Button's championship won by a far superior car when ALL the other car "Totally FUCxED" UP. Button disappeared from the podium right after the other teams fixed their cars. When car performance are close, Button is clearly not in the top league.

#75 kismet

kismet

• 6,987 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:35

To be brutally honest, why would it [excite him]? Been there, done that, have several increasingly ugly t-shirts...

#76 CookinFlatSix

CookinFlatSix

• 364 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 17:38

Alonso and Lewis think they are the best on the grid with Seb a close third who still needs to win a title without the best car

This is the season we find out. This is the season Kimi, Seb, Lewis, Alonso and Button will have cars closely matched due to regulation stability. Doesn't appear anyone will have a magic bullet or trick diffuser or questionable off throttle maps

From the end of last year we know the Mclaren should be fastest and Merc slowest, but hopefully there will only be a few tenths at most separating all 5. The true top guys would be able to achieve in any of the cars

If Button wins the WC then we can all laugh at the foolishness of Alonso and Lewis for underestimating Button and we can all hail the new indisputed king of the present era. If however Button doesnt win due to the wrong tyres, or wrong setup or wind direction etc then we can all complement Lewis for focusing on the right challenges and ignoring the trivial.

I suspect Buttons main war will be with young Sergio and somehow there will be an obstacle to challenging for the WC despite having the fastest car. And some will say Button is unbeatable IF (insert obstacle) wasnt there this year.

So either Button wins the WC or we finally see the collapse of the myth of the slower driver with less ability to handle inherently unbalanced or instable cars overcome these basic driving attributes by an ability to build the team around himself and make a few good pit calls at the point weather changes.

#77 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,879 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:47

Comments like this are not very smart, all they do is give the target (Button) added motivation and determination. Not something you want to give to a direct competitor.

Alos to be starting the the trash talk so early makes me wonder about Hamilton's mental focus for 2013. Is he focused like 2012 or is this 2011 to be repeated?

ps. Hamilton may want to be seen as being in a competition to be 'best of the best' but really he needs to focus on beating his teammate first.

The lack of mental zeal is raising its ugly head again, indeed.

Not only the Button discussion - Lewis is making all the noises, including trophies, his own museum and a dog with earphones (Roscoe) in the Merc pits - I wonder how that will help Lewis maintaining his mental focus. If we are in store for another 2011 will largely depend on how competitive the Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04 is - if the car is not doing well I expect Lewis to get caught up in all kind of pitfalls....

#78 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 334 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:23

I agree with Caso! Button's championship won by a far superior car when ALL the other car "Totally FUCxED" UP. Button disappeared from the podium right after the other teams fixed their cars. When car performance are close, Button is clearly not in the top league.

Does that mean that 2002 and 2004 don't count for Schumacher? Or all the other drivers who have won in the better car?

#79 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:16

The lack of mental zeal is raising its ugly head again, indeed.

Not only the Button discussion - Lewis is making all the noises, including trophies, his own museum and a dog with earphones (Roscoe) in the Merc pits - I wonder how that will help Lewis maintaining his mental focus. If we are in store for another 2011 will largely depend on how competitive the Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04 is - if the car is not doing well I expect Lewis to get caught up in all kind of pitfalls....

To be brutally honest, if the car isn't capable of a genuine challenge for the WDC I doubt he cares too much. Much like 2011 he was willing to overdrive the car and take far more risks whereas Button really tried his best to secure the points for P2 in the WDC because it meant so much more to him.

Edited by ZooL, 12 March 2013 - 14:17.

Advertisement

#80 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,081 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:39

To be brutally honest, if the car isn't capable of a genuine challenge for the WDC I doubt he cares too much. Much like 2011 he was willing to overdrive the car and take far more risks whereas Button really tried his best to secure the points for P2 in the WDC because it meant so much more to him.

Or it meant that he was doing the job he was hired to do, gather as many points as possible for the WCC. More points, better placement in the WCC, more money for the team.

#81 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,390 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:43

Or it meant that he was doing the job he was hired to do, gather as many points as possible for the WCC. More points, better placement in the WCC, more money for the team.

McLaren don't care for championships...... It's race wins for them.

#82 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,749 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:45

McLaren don't care for championships...... It's race wins for them.

You think they are also not particulary interested in money?

#83 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,109 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:46

Can't believe this thread, is it really that bad to want to compete with the best? Does anyone seriously think button is on the same level as Alonso and vettel?

#84 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 709 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 15:01

This thread is great, please keep it going guys!

#85 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 227 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 15:02

Can't believe this thread, is it really that bad to want to compete with the best? Does anyone seriously think button is on the same level as Alonso and vettel?

I actually love the fact that so many trolls find it so amusing to constantly bicker about Lewis and all he talks about within the media.....the older he gets, the more he'll love all this attention. He has many haters and he'll have to take it like it is, simply because he is known as a loud-mouth, but you can talk big all you want as long as you keep your racing pedigree intact. Rivals fear him, haters keep on hating, he still tops the rest.

Edited by Tauhid, 12 March 2013 - 15:02.

#86 AnR

AnR

• 114 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 15:02

Well, Lewis hasn't been nearer in results than Jenson has for the last years.

#87 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,109 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 15:10

So? I'm sure button would want to be battling out with the very best drivers ie Alonso and vettel. Why would any driver not get more excited at the prospect of duel with the very best?

#88 Arion

Arion

• 2,353 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:54

I love how the english media tried to get him to talk about Button, and he's like I don't want to talk about Button, I want to talk about Alonso :lol:

#89 caso

caso

• 169 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:29

You agree with me on what?

#90 Hairy

Hairy

• 299 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:35

But he has.

Head to head when they've both finished a race is 26-14.

#91 SR388

SR388

• 3,707 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:41

Hamilton wants to beat the best. Alonso has 2 WDC's and Seb has 3. Gotta take the fight to those guys.

#92 Arion

Arion

• 2,353 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:57

In fact this is only a continuation of the play between Alonso and Hamilton trying to make each other look better. I bet that after 2007/2008 both were certain that only they would be winning titles in the next years, and it seems neither of the two has come to terms with reality.

I was just amused by the fact, that Lewis sometimes shows so little respect to other drivers, yet he seems to care about the respect he gets from other drivers.

he said Alonso AND Vettel. He just doesn't like Button, that's all.

#93 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:00

Just doesn't rate him as a key adversary, I'd say. He had breakfast with him a day or two ago.

#94 SR388

SR388

• 3,707 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:01

I love that. I really can't wait till we get to hear about all of the turmoil Lewis and Jenson had as teammates. If it comes out that Canada 2011 was NOT an accident, we would have a modern era Prost v. Senna. There is no way that things weren't heated between the two.

#95 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:01

Rise & shine #pt1 6am, just had breakfast with JB & now going for a long run. Hope you have a nice day! Bless

Yeah Lewis hates JB just has breakfast with him and stuff.

#96 SR388

SR388

• 3,707 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:03

Yeah Lewis hates JB just has breakfast with him and stuff.

Well, there goes my dream of a really exciting book 15 years down the road.

#97 Arion

Arion

• 2,353 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:05

Just doesn't rate him as a key adversary, I'd say. He had breakfast with him a day or two ago.

just my personal feeling of their relationship. I sometimes hang out with people I don't genuinely like too.

#98 Neomaster121

Neomaster121

• 71 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:08

Hamilton's already competed with button beat him in qualifying every year
ahead of him 2-1 in seasons

button was never a challenge tbf

#99 Arion

Arion

• 2,353 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:08

Well, there goes my dream of a really exciting book 15 years down the road.

I know, I miss 2007 too.

Advertisement

#100 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:21

Hamilton's already competed with button beat him in qualifying every year
ahead of him 2-1 in seasons

button was never a challenge tbf

Come on, how much points between Button and Hamilton over 3 years again?
So Lewis was a little faster on saturday, that dont bring points or championships. I think we all agree it was closer than anyone wouldv dared to predict at the end of 2009.