* * * - - 6 votes

Vettel Vs Webber - 2013 [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2656 replies to this topic

#101 PassWind

PassWind

• 4,777 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:57

That's a strange comment. Webber has ran Vettel (too) close (for comfort) before, so why shouldn't he do it again? With a little more luck than usual on his side, he can do it.

Not a really strange comment given the history of Webber bashing, its in the DNA of the poster, nothing to see here move along

Advertisement

#102 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:01

IIRC they didn't touch in Brazil either. Obviously I'm not saying they need to take each other out but it's a completely different situation - the first race of the season and it's at the Australian GP - be nothing wrong with Mark doing a supposed 'Brazil move' here.

Not that we need be worried - he'll probably be P4 by T1 anyway... :p :well:

If last year's start was any indication, Massa and Alonso are probably going to fly past Webber into T1. :)

#103 plumtree

plumtree

• 711 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:42

I believe this belongs in this thread. :cool:

How well do Seb and Mark know the RB9?
Seb and Mark go head to head in an RB9 sponsor sticker challenge at our factory in Milton Keynes.

Brilliant idea to bring more attention to their sponsors without 'in your face' vibe. I was thoroughly enjoyed it, laughing at their clumsy work. :p

Edited by plumtree, 17 March 2013 - 02:48.

#104 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:47

I believe this belongs in this thread. :cool:

How well do Seb and Mark know the RB9?
Seb and Mark go head to head in an RB9 sponsor sticker challenge at our factory in Milton Keynes.

Saw that yesterday on ESPN Star Sports. It was a tie - both are equally bad.

#105 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:29

Webber is useless.

How can u do that in front of all your fans at your home gp?

****in disgraceful.

#106 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:30

That car is useless on tires past the first couple laps.
It's shocking.

But yeah, it's clear again who's the best Red Bull-driver.

Edited by mnmracer, 17 March 2013 - 07:31.

#107 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,396 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:37

You'd think after all this time Mark would improve on his abysmal starts.

Truly terrible :(

#108 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:39

Another crap start and getting stuck behind Button ruined his race. Once he got clear of Button though his pace wasn't too bad.

#109 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,299 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:49

Webber is useless.

How can u do that in front of all your fans at your home gp?

****in disgraceful.

What a dickhead comment

#110 joshb

joshb

• 3,059 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:53

Difficult race for Rb, Seb's race wasn't helped by getting stuck behind Sutil, Mark got a terrible start, but Ferrari were consistently quick when behind and ahead and Kimi did a 2 stopper and had the pace of the RB on new tyres.

#111 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,299 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:59

Telemetry transmission probs before the start and no KERS according to Webber

Same old same old

#112 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:00

Telemetry transmission probs before the start and no KERS according to Webber

Same old same old

Yep, and slow pit stop put him behind Button.

#113 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:02

A champions drive (as usual) from Vettel I thought, he made the important passes when he needed to (the one on Sutil was vital) and so was able to keep Massa behind. Just no answers for the other 2 cars, quite a bit of questions rising from this weekend. I still believe they'll get it right and RB should be contending consistantly for pole in this opening part of the season so it's easier to build the race from there.

#114 mastermind

mastermind

• 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:05

What's up with Webber having KERS problems every second race...

#115 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 4,851 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:07

Poor starts happen.. I don't blame Webber for 2 seconds of a poor start. But I wish he had pushed harder against Button. It really destroyed his race. From that point on.. his pace was ok.. and he recovered some positions. His race pace on higher fuel seems a bit of an issue.. higher tyre wear than those around him but the second half of the race in clear air he was good.

Vettel drove a solid.. pretty flawless race.

#116 apoka

apoka

• 3,334 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:08

A champions drive (as usual) from Vettel I thought, he made the important passes when he needed to (the one on Sutil was vital) and so was able to keep Massa behind. Just no answers for the other 2 cars, quite a bit of questions rising from this weekend. I still believe they'll get it right and RB should be contending consistantly for pole in this opening part of the season so it's easier to build the race from there.

Yes, it was a very good drive from Vettel and quite a few problems for Webber in the first part of the race. What worries me more is the gap to Alonso and Kimi. Vettel really had no answer to their pace. 22 seconds down on the winner is quite a lot when starting from pole. It'll take RB a while to play catch up.

#117 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,299 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:10

The final gaps really aren't indicative because if they know they can't catch or be caught they back it off

#118 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:12

Yeah, I felt Vettel could have kept it at around 5 seconds to Alonso, but there was little point in pushing, certainly with how bad those tires were.

#119 joshb

joshb

• 3,059 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:15

Webber had no KERS at the start apparently, haven't been able to confirm it though

Advertisement

#120 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:17

I'm hearing mixed messages on that. Some say just the start, some say the entire race. Anyone have a source?

#121 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,299 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:20

Webber, M. (2013)

:)

#122 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:22

I found it encouraging that Vettel seemed quite happy and not at all concerned on the podium, the qualifying pace does give a good platform for the races in the future.

#123 gowebber

gowebber

• 396 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:29

Typical of those slagging off mark. While he doesn't h'ave great starts all that often, to have no telemetry and kers is a huge problem. In light of that yyou can forgive the start. Seriously tho rbr wtf?! How does this keep happening to mark?? They screwed up his pitstop as usual as well.

Would have been hard passing button with no kers. Some nice passes esp on di resta. Thank god sepang is next week. Lift ya game rbr and fix the bloody problems!

#124 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:31

I found it encouraging that Vettel seemed quite happy and not at all concerned on the podium, the qualifying pace does give a good platform for the races in the future.

Yeah I was surprised to see him quite upbeat. Thought he would frown a bit, losing a pole. But looking at the terrible pace (at least compared to Ferrari and Lotus) I can see the reason why he's quite content with the P3.
Webber lost it right from the start. Such a shame with the KERS loss.

#125 plumtree

plumtree

• 711 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:44

I think it's because he knows 3rd was best after all. He always says bringing the best out of the car is the goal and when he feels there is nothing more to achieve he can be happy with the result. It really could have gone worse and starting a season with a podium finish is pretty decent, I'd say.

KERS, sensor, no telemetry too many niggling problems.

Edited by plumtree, 17 March 2013 - 08:49.

#126 v@sh

v@sh

• 626 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:02

Any idea what Horner said re his start after the race?

I think Vettel drove a fine race. Kimi and Alonso were just quicker on the day. Not much you can do about that.

#127 joshb

joshb

• 3,059 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:06

Any idea what Horner said re his start after the race?

I think Vettel drove a fine race. Kimi and Alonso were just quicker on the day. Not much you can do about that.

Yeah he didn't do anything wrong, just Ferrai played the strategy well on the 2nd stops but even still, I have doubts as to whether he could have stayed higher than 3rd.

#128 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,089 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:15

Looks like they dialled a bit too much heat into the tyres relative to lotus and Ferrari. Explains the gap in quali on a cold track too

#129 Callahan

Callahan

• 594 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:41

Mark Webber - 6th: "We had a few issues on the grid, getting the telemetry from the car to the pits, which wasn't ideal in terms of the guys knowing where to set everything up for the start. We lost KERS also for the first part of the race. It looked like we were quite heavy on the first set of tyres and we weren't that quick to challenge for the win as a team today. We had a slow pit stop (which was due to a front jack failure), which put me behind Jenson. We salvaged something in the end, but that was Melbourne today and it was disappointing not to get more out of it. It was hard to fight against others on a two-stop."

#130 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,237 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:46

Webber had no KERS at the start apparently, haven't been able to confirm it though

No KERS for whole race!

None the less, of course Vettel takes both Qual and Race point.

#131 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,329 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:50

Looks like they dialled a bit too much heat into the tyres relative to lotus and Ferrari. Explains the gap in quali on a cold track too

:up:

#132 plumtree

plumtree

• 711 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:54

Christian Horner, Red Bull team principal - “Starting from the front row, third and sixth obviously wasn’t the result we were targeting, but all things considered with the way that the race panned out, I think it was the optimum we could achieve. Lotus seemed very light on its tyres, with Kimi being able to make a two-stop race really work for him. I think in the cooler conditions today we weren’t in the optimum window with these tyres, but nonetheless it was a very positive start to the Championship with a podium finish and a sixth place. Mark made a good recovery after a difficult start and an ECU related KERS issue in the first part of the race. We managed to reset the system and his recovery was strong from then on. We leave this race knowing we’ve got a good car and we’re looking forward to warmer temperatures in Malaysia next week.”

Sebastian Vettel (3rd) - “I think you’re always a little disappointed when you start first and don’t finish first, but overall it was a good weekend for us. We had a good day today with a pole and a podium – but in the race we were a little too aggressive with the tyres and lost the front and the rears, while others did a little better. There are always areas where you can improve, but the result we got today is fair. We didn’t see Kimi on the track, he was too quick and Fernando jumped us at a vulnerable time – but we can be happy with third.”

"I'm not worried, we have to admit sometimes that other people are faster. We were the third fastest car in the race today." "After a good start and first two-three laps the tyres were falling apart,"
Asked if he was frustrated at being stuck behind Sutil "It did not help at that stage, but it's pretty simple - if we had the pace we should have passed him. I don't think considering all the laps in the race it made a massive difference. In the end you have enough laps to even things out."

* About Vettel's stoppage in FP3 yesterday, according to Andrew Benson: Turns out Vettel did not have a hydraulics problem after all. It was a sensor giving a false reading

Edited by plumtree, 17 March 2013 - 10:05.

#133 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,299 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:00

The KERS issues are beyond a joke.
Do any other teams have such consistent problems with them? Hardly new tech anymore either

#134 Callahan

Callahan

• 594 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:07

The KERS issues are beyond a joke.
Do any other teams have such consistent problems with them? Hardly new tech anymore either

For a team that has won 6 World Championships in 3 years, it's failure to get a reliable KERS operating in the cars is keystone cops standard and the only real downside of what have been the best cars for a while now.

#135 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,386 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:17

I assume as KERS will be much more intergrated with the engines from next year that they will be using Renault's system and not their own - which is frankly, a good thing...

Edited by krapmeister, 17 March 2013 - 10:18.

#136 v@sh

v@sh

• 626 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:19

Well they better get their KERs working if they have to produce double that amount next year, will be even more on the back foot then.

#137 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,273 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:20

To be fair, an electrical issue is more heartening for me. Much prefer that than something mechanical with the system, where it's placed or how it's cooled.

#138 Callahan

Callahan

• 594 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:28

I wonder what Mark thinks every time the Ferrari's blast past him at the start of a GP, considering he could have been driving one this year. Anyway, it's a long season and plenty of time for him to excel. Let's hope he can put pressure on Seb all year and show us what he's got.

#139 gowebber

gowebber

• 396 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:31

Poor starts happen.. I don't blame Webber for 2 seconds of a poor start. But I wish he had pushed harder against Button. It really destroyed his race. From that point on.. his pace was ok.. and he recovered some positions. His race pace on higher fuel seems a bit of an issue.. higher tyre wear than those around him but the second half of the race in clear air he was good.

Vettel drove a solid.. pretty flawless race.

Couldn't push Button because of the KERS issue.

"It was hard to pick guys off like 'JB' without KERS, but that's spilled milk - we need to operate better and not have those issues."

http://www.theage.co...0317-2g8z1.html

I thought Mark drove a very good race considering the issues he once again had to deal with. That pass on Di Resta was awesome. I'll be shocked when Mark actually has a weekend without any issues and makes a banzai start. Sick to death of fkin KERS issues. Work on it day and night if they have to until its bloody fixed, its cost them esp Mark a large amount of points over the years.

Edited by gowebber, 17 March 2013 - 10:34.

Advertisement

#140 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 831 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:11

I thought after the race, with Vettel 3rd Webber would've been somewhere around 4-5th at the end, so with finishing 6th the poor start doesn't seem as critical. To hear of the telemetry and KERS issues is a bit better for Webber, but seriously when are the team going to get their KERS shit together. Are they even running the 60kW system yet or still their 40kW mini-KERS? How are they going to last with next years ERS. They're going to need to take a friggin engine penalty to cover their ERS screwups.

I didnt watch the press conference, but the idea of Vettel being happy with pole to third seems way out of character.

There was some good overtaking today at least.

#141 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,386 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:13

Sounds like because of the telemetry problems Mark wasn't able to set the car up for the start:

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner revealed that the issues were caused by the McLaren-supplied standard ECU.

"Mark's problems were hugely frustrating as it was an ECU issue that is supplied by a third party - I will let you guess who that is," he said.

"So we lost all telemetry on the formation lap and then you cannot do the preparation you need to for the start, and then he is in the blind for the start.

"That ECU issue shut the KERS down as well. By the time we had reset the whole system, obviously he had lost the start and lost ground.

"It is something they need to get on top of as there have been a lot of issues in testing.

"It was nothing to do with Mark today."

And KERS wasn't essentially a system issue today either. But had to happen when he's P2 on the grid at his home GP...

:well:

Edited by krapmeister, 17 March 2013 - 11:15.

#142 plumtree

plumtree

• 711 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:17

Wasn't all teams supposed to stick to 2012 ECU for the moment? Why does it keep causing trouble? ):

#143 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,783 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:19

Mclaren supplie the standardised ECUs on all cars I believe.

#144 v@sh

v@sh

• 626 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:24

There was an ECU upgrade over winter in preparation for next years engines and KERs. As a result of the upgrade, it has been causing teams problems throughout testing because it isn't entirely bug free...

#145 ToXiCiTy

ToXiCiTy

• 72 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:28

Can a driver break the KERS system? Its just ridicoulus how many KERS issues has hitted Mark these past two seasons.

#146 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,299 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:34

But Vettel has had his share too, it seems to have been better luck for him as to when it happened though

#147 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,386 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:38

Can a driver break the KERS system? Its just ridicoulus how many KERS issues has hitted Mark these past two seasons.

Well, TBF this is a new type of issue - ECU related as oppose to RBR's system itself but yeah...

#148 gowebber

gowebber

• 396 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:36

Compiled by a fellow group member on another forum...

KERS failures; (might not be comprehensive)
Australia - race
Malaysia - start
China - FP3
Spain - race
Canada - qualifying and race
Valenica - FP2
Italy - qualifying
Singapore - qualifying

Australia - qualifying
India - race
Abu Dhabi FP2

Australia - race

Fkin ridiculous. Stitched up at Australia bigtime as well. Fix it RBR once and for all for fks sake!

Edited by gowebber, 17 March 2013 - 12:43.

#149 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,396 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:31

Mark really needs to fix his starting problems, no point qualifying on the front row if you are going to drop 4-5 places at the start, and he does it again and again. :(

#150 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 974 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:35

Compiled by a fellow group member on another forum...

KERS failures; (might not be comprehensive)
Australia - race

Wasn't as much a failure as a decision not to run it.