* - - - - 1 votes

Grosjean: Something wrong with my car?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:51

Yeah right. Does anyone have any idea as to what might that be? Drivers using "something wrong", "balance", "Pirelli" on wholesale off late.... so much so that even he has no idea what it is!!

Grosjean: Something wrong with my car
http://www.f1zone.ne...h-my-car/18144/

“Something felt wrong with my car, so I have to sit down with the team and analyse where the issue came from,” he said.

“It felt so good all weekend until the race itself, but in the end the race was long and quite difficult for me. We know that Albert Park can be a tricky circuit and the weather has certainly not helped today.” “It’s been a great weekend for the team with Kimi’s win so it’s clear there’s pace in the car. Let’s hope I can unlock that pace too next weekend in Sepang.”

Advertisement

#2 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:56

He maybe went wrong direction with his setups in saturday (even if he said he went to correct way), also flat spotted his tyre at the start (not that it explains much)...the setup issues happened to him last year as well at hockenheim and even still first couple of practises at hungary.

Edited by Vesuvius, 17 March 2013 - 11:57.

#3 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 579 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:56

Isnt it possible there was a problem with his car?

#4 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:59

I think he deffo had a problem (set-up, car) as he isn´t that slow even if nowadays he is more cautious in order not to crash

#5 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:00

possible yes for sure, but so far there has been nothing found by Lotus, maybe there could be some in monocoque like Vettel had once in past seasons.

#6 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:03

Like what??
Between Qualy & Race, under Parc Ferme rules... what could have possibly changed "on it's own" except fuel loads.

Even then, RoGro should know the difference as he did 2 Race SIms during winter testing compared to Kimi's none. So, these mysterious ailments are amusing.

Edited by BackOnTop, 17 March 2013 - 12:05.

#7 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:09

according to Boullier, no problems with the car.just a bad start and always stuck in the traffic/destoyed his tyres.

#8 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 579 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:13

Like what??
Between Qualy & Race, under Parc Ferme rules... what could have possibly changed "on it's own" except fuel loads.

Even then, RoGro should know the difference as he did 2 Race SIms during winter testing compared to Kimi's none. So, these mysterious ailments are amusing.

Maybe something that was noticeble only once they had fueled up the car for the race or something..

#9 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:37

Problem identified:

Posted Image

#10 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:09

He didn't get the updates kimi had until
After the practice sessions no time to set up

#11 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:12

Far behind second bug. Webber has it chronic, Massa is giving hints to have recovered from it

Edited by saudoso, 17 March 2013 - 13:13.

#12 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:12

Problem identified:

Posted Image

In an parallel universe, Lotus finished 1 - 2 today with Kobayashi leading Raikkonen :p .

#13 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:16

they both had upgrades that the other driver didnt have.
they were split up between them for evaluation in practice, afaik romain had the new front and rear wings and kimi got the new bodywork, for qualifying both got all the new stuff.

#14 Big Block 8

Big Block 8

• 2,423 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:17

Problem identified:

Posted Image

To get more into detail, the hair must have restricted the airflow around the rear wing!

#15 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:20

not true really, Kimi had new floor but Grosjean had new front and rear wing that Kimi didn't have....until saturday when both had all updates! and saturday Grosjean did more laps than Kimi in dry conditions and said setups went to better direction!

#16 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:34

Came from an interview with Eric Boullier....

#17 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:36

If I wouldn't be able to get past an MP4-28 I would also think something is wrong with my car.

#18 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:41

It´s possible. I mean, he should have been second or third today. If it´s just what Lotus thinks it is (traffic messing his tyres) they have a serious problem. It´s plausible, Räikkönen chose to avoid following others close while there was no way to move forward... but not the most probable explanation.

It will be interesting to hear more about this story. Lotus have started as strong as last year, and it´s quite possible that they´ll drift backwards with time, so they need both drivers doing well while they´re strong.

#19 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 579 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:41

If I wouldn't be able to get past an MP4-28 I would also think something is wrong with my car.

Really?? What car do you drive?????? :p

Advertisement

#20 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:11

It´s possible. I mean, he should have been second or third today. If it´s just what Lotus thinks it is (traffic messing his tyres) they have a serious problem. It´s plausible, Räikkönen chose to avoid following others close while there was no way to move forward... but not the most probable explanation.

It will be interesting to hear more about this story. Lotus have started as strong as last year, and it´s quite possible that they´ll drift backwards with time, so they need both drivers doing well while they´re strong.

Actually, the bold part did happen. I have just re-watched the race (tracking included) and had the chance to really focus on what was going on during the second stint between Sutil, Vettel, Massa, Alonso and Räikkönen.

The fox of Räikkönen was playing cat and mouse with those in front of him and the others didn't even notice. He constantly kept a distance of about 2 seconds with them, while the others in front of him were cooking their tyres just half a second away from each other. If one in the cue in front of him pitted (Alonso for example), Kimi just pushed a little bit more and got again in the 2 seconds distance. And once he had clean air... he was suddenly lapping 1 second faster than previously with tyres that were over 15 laps old.

#21 ZZei

ZZei

• 614 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:38

Actually, the bold part did happen. I have just re-watched the race (tracking included) and had the chance to really focus on what was going on during the second stint between Sutil, Vettel, Massa, Alonso and Räikkönen.

The fox of Räikkönen was playing cat and mouse with those in front of him and the others didn't even notice. He constantly kept a distance of about 2 seconds with them, while the others in front of him were cooking their tyres just half a second away from each other. If one in the cue in front of him pitted (Alonso for example), Kimi just pushed a little bit more and got again in the 2 seconds distance. And once he had clean air... he was suddenly lapping 1 second faster than previously with tyres that were over 15 laps old.

Very possible indeed. Hungary 2012 springs to mind.

#22 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:41

Actually, the bold part did happen.

Of course it did, it was not a question, it was an statement.

What was plausible for me is that all Romain´s problems came from huge traffic. Why I think it´s plausible? Because of what Räikkönen chose to do. Sorry if I phrased it wrong before.

#23 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:57

Isn't the first time a driver has been fine on low fuel and discovered problems with balance on a heavier car. Sometimes it's the other way around.

Cut the guy some slack. We need teammates who push each other, let's hope Romain is on it in Sepang.

#24 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:58

He just didn't fluke into the correct tire window this time.

#25 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,274 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:00

there can actually be something wrong with the car...a problem, a setup issue etc
he's been moronic a lot of times last year but not slow. I don't think he looks for excuses, he just says what he feels

#26 Vibe

Vibe

• 383 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:03

Most of the time Grosjean was capable of matching Kimi's speed and going even faster last season,although Kimi is obviously a much better and more intelligent driver I don't think Grosjean is 1 point material while Kimi wins the race in the same car.It's a legit possibility something was actually wrong,there's no way of telling...Time will.

#27 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:03

He did very very well to avoid an accident in T1.

Not even joking, he got absolutely squeezed from both sides absurdly close. Same thing last year happened to webber and he caused a shunt.

#28 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:04

De la Rosa said these tyres had very big operative window, unlike 2012 ones, and that only problem was graining, and that you should do something wrong to get it. He also said 2012 tyres were not bad, it only took the teams time to know what to do with them. There are no flukes: there´s work. The anti Pirelli brigade are really boring.

#29 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:06

Thats so 2012...

#30 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:12

Of course it did, it was not a question, it was an statement.

What was plausible for me is that all Romain´s problems came from huge traffic. Why I think it´s plausible? Because of what Räikkönen chose to do. Sorry if I phrased it wrong before.

okay, no worries, I had understood it was the other thing what was plausible :)

#31 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:13

De la Rosa said these tyres had very big operative window, unlike 2012 ones, and that only problem was graining, and that you should do something wrong to get it. He also said 2012 tyres were not bad, it only took the teams time to know what to do with them. There are no flukes: there´s work. The anti Pirelli brigade are really boring.

Is that why Red Bull and Merc both couldn't get them to work the way they should have? Or do you actually believe Raikkonen and Lotus are THAT much faster while being over a second slower in qualifying?

#32 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:15

Is that why Red Bull and Merc both couldn't get them to work the way they should have? Or do you actually believe Raikkonen and Lotus are THAT much faster while being over a second slower in qualifying?

Kimi was fastest on long runs during friday practise (followed by Alonso and Vettel) so his pace was not surprise, also last year Lotus was better car on race unlike on qualifying. and todays qualifying is representive on true pace as Kimi did only one supersoft run and made a mistake on it but I think racepace is closer than it was seen...but few next races will show the true picture.

Edited by Vesuvius, 17 March 2013 - 16:17.

#33 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:18

It´s because they didn´t do enough of a good word, not because anyone fluked into anything.

It´s time you guys adapt to change. Being stuck in last decade is not smart. Now qualifying and race pace are two fully different things. Lotus goes for long run pace, and they struggle to build up heat for 1 lap. Other teams have other approach, and today it didn´t work. Red Bull and Mercedes did make the tyres work, in fact their problem was making them work too much.

#34 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:18

The issue might not be mechanical...i think he just didnt get his setup sorted out on Saturday.Also His start was pretty bad.

Light and day between him and Raikkonen today..Hope he is more competitive in Sepang.

Edited by grunge, 17 March 2013 - 16:21.

#35 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:28

It´s because they didn´t do enough of a good word, not because anyone fluked into anything.

It´s time you guys adapt to change. Being stuck in last decade is not smart. Now qualifying and race pace are two fully different things. Lotus goes for long run pace, and they struggle to build up heat for 1 lap. Other teams have other approach, and today it didn´t work. Red Bull and Mercedes did make the tyres work, in fact their problem was making them work too much.

Actually both RBR and Merc didn't get the tires Into their window (I.e. too cold).

#36 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:31

Actually both RBR and Merc didn't get the tires Into their window (I.e. too cold).

Oh yes, that´s why they were the fastest teams in a cold morning qualifying session with moist on the track. Because their tyres couldn´t get up to temperature :rolleyes: Get a clue.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 17 March 2013 - 16:32.

#37 ToXiCiTy

ToXiCiTy

• 72 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:31

Why do you argue with the guy? He thinks Kimi is ****, so naturally it has to be something strange for him to win.

#38 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 17:12

This thread looks like a bit of Grosjean-bashing, just for the sake of it.

#39 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 17:40

could of had a shock absorber or something similer go abit odd, or the differential

a cracked chassis is only really vaguly identifiable, basicaly t he car handles badly whatever, and setup changes dont do what they should do

Advertisement

#40 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,178 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 18:28

This thread looks like a bit of Grosjean-bashing, just for the sake of it.

Seems like some people can't live wihtout it. "Ooh another weekend.... Haven't talked smack about Grosjean yeat. What kind of genious idiocies I can come up with this time. Never mind, I'll just fire smth. off"

#41 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 18:47

He knows what he is doing. :kiss:

But seriously, the 2013 Lotus is a car for smart drivers who can manage tyres ala the old days, rather than drop lightning quali laps. Hence why Grosjean will be mercilessly beaten this year.

Of course people will cry Pirelli cheese tyres blah blah blah but it shows who can think on their feet and who is out of their depth. 10th is pretty far out of depth. Even Webber pulled back from an awful start to 6th, and his wasn't the winning car.

#42 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 710 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 18:48

How long would a thread be if Massa would've said this?

#43 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 18:51

On Sky they said he didnt get the new parts on Friday like KR did and he only got them on Saturday so could not do any set up work because of the rain .... that makes sense to me.... RG is many things but slow is not one of them.

#44 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 18:55

On Sky they said he didnt get the new parts on Friday like KR did and he only got them on Saturday so could not do any set up work because of the rain .... that makes sense to me.... RG is many things but slow is not one of them.

Already said many times that Grosjean had new front and rear wings friday while Kimi didn't, Kimi had new floor and Romain didn't. Saturday and sunday both had all updates on their cars and Romain was more happy with them after saturday practise. ...so no that wasn't the reason for his slow pace.

#45 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:07

I think he deffo had a problem (set-up, car) as he isn´t that slow even if nowadays he is more cautious in order not to crash

Yeah, it was weird.

#46 eREr

eREr

• 2,541 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 20:33

Already said many times that Grosjean had new front and rear wings friday while Kimi didn't, Kimi had new floor and Romain didn't. Saturday and sunday both had all updates on their cars and Romain was more happy with them after saturday practise. ...so no that wasn't the reason for his slow pace.

Grosjean had 2 laps in the dry in FP3. What do you think, 2 laps are enough to set up the car with a new floor? I guess a floor is more complex part of the car, than wings. Maybe 1 lap pace seemed okay (based on only 2 laps), but they could not check the setup for longer (and heavier) stints. Traffic and not optimal race setup resulted P10. Maybe he is error prone, but he has definitely speed, that's no question. Hope he will show this in Sepang.

#47 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 21:32

Yeah. I also was a little worried he would drive all day behind the other cars, but the gap he kep was a small hint that he was controlling the situation and there was a different plan. I was a little worriedhim making the first stop relatively early, but the later part of the race worked beautifully. Of course no one is sure if it results in a win, but he had the pace and he didn't take unnecessary risks to execute his strategy and maximum result.

#48 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 22:08

Grosjean had 2 laps in the dry in FP3. What do you think, 2 laps are enough to set up the car with a new floor? I guess a floor is more complex part of the car, than wings. Maybe 1 lap pace seemed okay (based on only 2 laps), but they could not check the setup for longer (and heavier) stints. Traffic and not optimal race setup resulted P10. Maybe he is error prone, but he has definitely speed, that's no question. Hope he will show this in Sepang.

Grosjean himself said setups were better after the practise and he did test the floor more than Kimi during testing! Lotus already said Grosjean destroyed his rear tyres. He has the speed there is no doubt about that.

#49 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,178 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 22:17

Grosjean himself said setups were better after the practise

I see, so if smth seems better based on two laps of running then that obviously in your book also means:

- everything is in balance
- the short and long stint setups have been tried
- tyre deg with new setup has been familiarised

he did test the floor more than Kimi during testing! Lotus already said Grosjean destroyed his rear tyres. He has the speed there is no doubt about that.

Which floor? The old one? He also raced the 2012 floors in 2012. So what? What have old floors got to do with anything?

Lotus already said Grosjean destroyed his rear tyres.

Yes, and they also gave some ides what the reasons were. Those you completely ignored and instead went on a quest of illogicality. If ever there was an example of selective recognition of facts you'd be it.

#50 Oho

Oho

• 11,838 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:01

Grosjean had 2 laps in the dry in FP3.

That can't really be true. Not that I really know how much use in- and out laps are for the team, I seriously doubt they are totally wasted, especially in-laps which are flyers all the way up to the pit entrance. So did Grosjean do two three lap runs or a single 4 lap run.

For all I know some of his invisibility w.r.t Räikkönen can be explained away with the divergent Friday programs, but all of it? He was almost lapped.

I really do not know who, if any one, coached Räikkönen through the race, but it was extremely well executed. The way he kept an arms distance to the scrap ahead of him during the second stint, and the way he closed the gap and went for a passes at crunch times (Hamilton in the opening laps and Sutil when Alonso was in pursuit).