- - - - -

Driver Ratings 2013 [merged]

• Please log in to reply
1369 replies to this topic

#1 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:18

Hey everyone, as the new autosport rating have been published, I'll start the thread, but feel free to put any rating system in from any publication (AMuS, Gazzetta, Marca etc) in here.

Autosport- Australian GP (And therefore current standings)

Vettel 7
Webber 6
Alonso 8
Massa 7
Button 8
Perez 7
Kimi 9
Grosjean 5
Rosberg 7
Hamilton 8
Hulk 7
Gutierrez 6
di Resta 8
Sutil 8
Maldonado 3
Bottas 7
Vergne 6
Ricciardo 4
Pic 6
VDG 6
Bianchi 8
Chilton 7

Edited by joshb, 18 March 2013 - 13:25.

Advertisement

#2 benzine

benzine

• 132 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:21

i would defintely give sutil a 9 and massa an 8 . nobody passed him on track as he said , he did nothing wrong at all

#3 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:22

Personal thoughts,
Vettel 1 low- his qualy lap didn't include his best sectors because he backed out of his lap once he was sure of pole!
Mclarens a touch high- Or am i thinking their car isn't a complete no-hoper?
Bianchi should be 9 or 10
Chilton should be 5 or 6- no way them two were only 1 mark different over the weekend

Rest I'm OK with how I saw the weekend unfold

#4 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:22

AMuS

Kimi Räikkönen: Note 9/10
Fernando Alonso: Note 9/10
Sebastian Vettel: Note 8/10

Felipe Massa: Note 8/10
Lewis Hamilton: Note 7/10
Mark Webber: Note 6/10
Adrian Sutil: Note 9/10

Paul di Resta: Note 7/10
Jenson Button: Note 7/10
Romain Grosjean: Note 4/10
Sergio Perez: Note 5/10
Jean-Eric Vergne: Note 6/10

Esteban Gutierrez: Note 5/10
Valtteri Bottas: Note 6/10
Jules Bianchi: Note 8/10
Charles Pic: Note 2/10
Max Chilton: Note 3/10

Giedo van der Garde: Note 2/10
Daniel Ricciardo: Note 4/10
Nico Rosberg: Note 6/10
Pastor Maldonado: Note 2/10
Nico Hülkenberg: Note 6/10

#5 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:24

i would defintely give sutil a 9 and massa an 8 . nobody passed him on track as he said , he did nothing wrong at all

I was thinking about the force indias. They ran the strategy in the opposite ways and met in the middle. di Resta may have passed had there not been the call but Sutil's pace with the leaders was eye-catching and all on his first race for a while. Massa was very solid too

#6 pusko

pusko

• 990 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:27

I agree about Sutil, but Massa can't have 8 as Alonso has it...

#7 KTF1

KTF1

• 120 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:28

Bianchi should be 9 or 10
Chilton should be 5 or 6- no way them two were only 1 mark different over the weekend

I agree, I think Bianchi should be a 9, Chilton a 6.

Edited because of a typo :drunk:

Edited by KTF1, 18 March 2013 - 13:29.

#8 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:30

Vettel 1 low- his qualy lap didn't include his best sectors because he backed out of his lap once he was sure of pole!

lol, indeed, from the rating:
"His pace straight out of the box was impressive and his pole position lap in tricky conditions was inevitable. That said, it was far from the optimum lap as his own split times proved."
makes it sound as if Vettel wasn't able to put together his best, yet it was still enough for pole. :lol:

#9 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:33

I was thinking about the force indias. They ran the strategy in the opposite ways and met in the middle. di Resta may have passed had there not been the call but Sutil's pace with the leaders was eye-catching and all on his first race for a while. Massa was very solid too

I agree, whatever you give Sutil, you have to give the same to di Resta. The only difference was that Adrian was doing great job at the front and Paul was doing his great job at the back. In that respect AMuS ratings are a bit skewed.

I would be happy for Alonso and Kimi to have same ratings

#10 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:34

"His pace straight out of the box was impressive and his pole position lap in tricky conditions was inevitable. That said, it was far from the optimum lap as his own split times proved."
makes it sound as if Vettel wasn't able to put together his best, yet it was still enough for pole. :lol:

quite an oversight if they docked a point for that- I think he was 4 tenths up after 2 sectors on the 2nd lap before getting call to come in- perhaps would have gone 5 of 6 tenths faster (and 1s faster than Webbers time) had he completed it

anyway, just commenting, not grumbling.

#11 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:34

Do they blame Vettel for destroying his tires in the race because otherwise a 7 doesn't make much sense?

And lol at the same rating for DiResta and Sutil.

Edited by Diablobb81, 18 March 2013 - 13:35.

#12 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,345 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:35

I agree about Sutil, but Massa can't have 8 as Alonso has it...

Massa could've even beat Alonso if he was to pit before Fernando, as it usually happens to a driver who is on higher position early in the race.

I have no problem with giving them both the same rating herre.

#13 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:37

:confused: Di Resta outqualified Sutil and Sutil finished 3 seconds before Di Resta. Pretty even I would say.

#14 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,345 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:39

They were separated just by one place and 3 seconds at the finish line, and probably only because that di Resta backed off his last lap, because a lap earlier it was less than 2 seconds between them. No one was really screwed by circumstances. How would you imagine more equal performance?

#15 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:40

Massa could've even beat Alonso if he was to pit before Fernando, as it usually happens to a driver who is on higher position early in the race.

But If Alonso made the call "Right, I'm coming in, get the tyres ready" then that should be applauded- as soon as I saw him dive in I was annoyed- knowing Vettel would be behind him once it all played out.
They really forced the issue there and penned Seb/RB into a corner (couldn't 2 stop but would lose the place covering him), which is what Kimi/Lotus didn't do in Bahrain last year.

#16 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:41

AMuS gives Pic 2/10?? I don't recall him having such an abysmal race deserving such a score or did I miss something? :confused:

#17 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:42

I doubt it. Massa could not even beat Vettel to third spot.

#18 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:43

They were separated just by one place and 3 seconds at the finish line, and probably only because that di Resta backed off his last lap, because a lap earlier it was less than 2 seconds between them. No one was really screwed by circumstances. How would you imagine more equal performance?

Because i believe the end result only happened because Sutil got a bad set of tires. The tires had no pace and still grained very quickly.

#19 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:45

Button and di Resta 8? I see heavy bias towards brits.

More likely should be somewhere with Grosjean who had 5.

Kimi should be 10. Perfect drive.

Edited by Mauseri, 18 March 2013 - 13:51.

Advertisement

#20 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:45

I would have given Seb more than Lewis (from a Lewis fan).

#21 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:46

Hey everyone, as the new autosport rating have been published, I'll start the thread, but feel free to put any rating system in from any publication (AMuS, Gazzetta, Marca etc) in here.

Autosport- Australian GP (And therefore current standings)

Vettel 7
Webber 6
Alonso 8
Massa 7
Button 8
Perez 7
Kimi 9
Grosjean 5
Rosberg 7
Hamilton 8
Hulk 7
Gutierrez 6
di Resta 8
Sutil 8
Maldonado 3
Bottas 7
Vergne 6
Ricciardo 4
Pic 6
VDG 6
Bianchi 8
Chilton 7

Vettel should have been 8 and if Sutil is 8 di Resta should be lower.

#22 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,030 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:57

AMuS gives Pic 2/10?? I don't recall him having such an abysmal race deserving such a score or did I miss something? :confused:

they don't like him because of glock.

#23 DS27

DS27

• 4,679 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:00

As a Brit, I can safely say that you need to take 1 or more off of each of the four British drivers. :well:

#24 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:01

The way Sutil impressed was how after he appeared in the fight for the lead thanks to his strategy, he actually managed to stay in that fight for longer than anyone expected. It literally made no sense to me how he managed to drive away from Vettel, Alonso etc. on much older tyres. The mistake he and Force India was to pit from the lead while his pace was still fine with a 1.5 second gap to Vettel. They should have continued several more laps. The 12 lap stint on the options in the end proved deadly as he lost 30 seconds to Kimi, which is ridiculous but also suddenly brought Di Resta into the picture. Over the entire race, their pace was identical (if Di Resta indeed was given a 'hold position' with a few laps to go) but Sutil did make it look like Force India was a top car for the first 40 laps, which has to be impressive.

Whether it's worth a higher rating than Di Resta's invisible race, I have no idea.

#25 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:04

Because i believe the end result only happened because Sutil got a bad set of tires. The tires had no pace and still grained very quickly.

Adrian used 2 sets of new medium tires and 1 new set of super soft. Paul used 2 sets of new medium tires and 1 set of super soft tires that he also used in qualifying. If anything, the tire situation suggests that Adrian was better off with them.

Just to clarify, you believe that all 4 SS tires used by Adrian were "bad eggs" that went through Pirelli quality control and were inferior to all others.

#26 Oho

Oho

• 11,808 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:09

The way Sutil impressed was how after he appeared in the fight for the lead thanks to his strategy, he actually managed to stay in that fight for longer than anyone expected.

Maybe FI should have used scrubbed super softs instead for brand new ones, it seems that if anything the ones that had gone through a heat cycle fared better in the race.

#27 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:12

Just to clarify, you believe that all 4 SS tires used by Adrian were "bad eggs" that went through Pirelli quality control and were inferior to all others.

Probably one is enough. But there were plenty of bad sets last year. So why so surprised? For me the lack of performance in Sutil's last stint had little to do with the driver or the car.

Edited by Diablobb81, 18 March 2013 - 14:13.

#28 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:12

Judging by the ratings I doubt the measure actual performance, probably more based on where they started/finished.

Vettel puts a car with tyres that didn't work on the podium and gets rated lower for it?
Webber has a car with tyres that didn't work and no KERS and telemetry for half the race and gets a 6?

lol

Everyone was fighting to do their best with the cars in strange conditions and almost all the drivers did their job. There were no super special drives. That is not a knock on anyone, I think the majority did a good job as expected of them. I would rate almost everyone around the same.

Edited by EvanRainer, 18 March 2013 - 14:13.

#29 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:13

What did Rosberg do to get a lower rating than Hamilton? Wasnt his fault his car stopped, was it? Qualifying? Rosberg owned everybody, including Hamilton, in Q1 and 2 in wet conditions. Surely their performance was at least equal?

#30 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:15

Its clear for some time Autosport holds Vettels performances -whatever they may be - at a different standard than the rest of the field.

#31 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:17

Everyone was fighting to do their best with the cars in strange conditions and almost all the drivers did their job. There were no super special drives. That is not a knock on anyone, I think the majority did a good job as expected of them. I would rate almost everyone around the same.

This. When I looked through the list I had the same thought, that these ratings are far too extreme.

Of course, Maldonado is a different story, but how can they really say Hamilton did a better job than Vettel?

#32 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:19

Maybe FI should have used scrubbed super softs instead for brand new ones, it seems that if anything the ones that had gone through a heat cycle fared better in the race.

I don't really have proof for that, but it was a tad weird how Sutil appeared to be ok initially, but after he got overtaken by Hamilton/Webber he was completely lost.

#33 Oho

Oho

• 11,808 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:26

I don't really have proof for that, but it was a tad weird how Sutil appeared to be ok initially, but after he got overtaken by Hamilton/Webber he was completely lost.

Well if the issue, as is likely, was tread graining its like running on marbles and its quite dramatic on onset. With scrubbed tires perhaps it was a tad less, most of the leaders still had the super softs performing decently when they pitted, Merc's did dozen or so laps and purportedly Kimi still had plenty remaining when he went for the first set of mediums.

#34 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:29

What did Rosberg do to get a lower rating than Hamilton? Wasnt his fault his car stopped, was it? Qualifying? Rosberg owned everybody, including Hamilton, in Q1 and 2 in wet conditions. Surely their performance was at least equal?

Lewis outqualified Rosberg and was noticeably quicker in the race.

Edited by Seanspeed, 18 March 2013 - 14:30.

#35 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:37

The 8 for Button is not clear to me.

#36 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:39

Well if the issue, as is likely, was tread graining its like running on marbles and its quite dramatic on onset. With scrubbed tires perhaps it was a tad less, most of the leaders still had the super softs performing decently when they pitted, Merc's did dozen or so laps and purportedly Kimi still had plenty remaining when he went for the first set of mediums.

Well together with Lotus they were the only ones 2 stopping, and they should be able to run a dozen laps on supersofts indeed. My thought would be that he got some bad marbles on his tyres while being overtaken which created a snowball effect.

#37 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:44

Last time I watched, qualifying was decided in Q3. Rosberg was very impressive - up until Q3 - he didn't do a complete job. So a point lost there makes sense. In the race, I'd have them about equal, although Lewis was able to maintain a comfortable gap.

#38 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:45

Judging by the ratings I doubt the measure actual performance, probably more based on where they started/finished.

Vettel puts a car with tyres that didn't work on the podium and gets rated lower for it?
Webber has a car with tyres that didn't work and no KERS and telemetry for half the race and gets a 6?

lol

I also agree with this ... there was a large element of a tyre lottery about that race

Edited by jjcale, 18 March 2013 - 14:53.

#39 Collective

Collective

• 1,522 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:45

Too hard on Ricciardo, considering the problem he had with heating blankets that made him drop to last and then the exhaust problem.

Sutil deserved better (although, qualy wasn't that good, so who knows). I think the tyre lotto played him a bad joke.

Van Der Garde should have been 4 or something like that. Especially after that dumb GP2-ish dive on the Marussia with a race leader just a few meters behind getting ready to lap them.

Advertisement

#40 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:50

Lewis outqualified Rosberg and was noticeably quicker in the race.

:up:

Unfortunately for Rosberg Q1 and Q2 are just about getting through.

Qualify higher, stay ahead during the race = performing better unless there's individual circumstances to take into consideration.

Differing set up (more wing for rosberg) may be something to consider, I'd certainly be mentioning it if it had been wet and Rosberg had wiped the floor with Lewis!

#41 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:51

Quali

#42 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:56

As a Brit, I can safely say that you need to take 1 or more off of each of the four British drivers. :well:

100% true.

Which converts to 11/10 if you are Autosport. :lol:

#43 pusko

pusko

• 990 posts

http://www.formula1....stest_laps.html

Fastest lap from Bianchi is abnormal!? It's almost faster then Vettel's?!?!?

#44 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Hulkenburg didn't even start the race and he gets the same score as the guy who finished third. :lol:

#45 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,201 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:57

Sutil was screwed by the early final stop gamble which really reduced the gap to an unfair margin.

#46 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:58

The scoring is badly done overall (as they always are whenever people want to score something on a scale). Over the length of a season, the scores should form a bell curve about five. An average drive, neither spectacular nor terrible should be a five and that should be respectable. Instead everybody gets crammed in to 6-8, with just a few at either extremes.

#47 KTF1

KTF1

• 120 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 15:03

http://www.formula1....stest_laps.html

Fastest lap from Bianchi is abnormal!? It's almost faster then Vettel's?!?!?

I was a little confused by that too, either it shows that Red Bull's race pace is really bad, or that Marussia is actually quick... :rotfl: :rotfl: :drunk: :smoking:

#48 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 15:37

With decreasing frequency I visit threads like this one, and every time I forget why, then I just need to read Autosport's ratings to be refreshed.

Button 8
Vettel 7

No explanation is required.

#49 Linther

Linther

• 53 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 15:46

:confused: Di Resta outqualified Sutil and Sutil finished 3 seconds before Di Resta. Pretty even I would say.

Sutil qualified on medium tires -> not quite even, I would say.

#50 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,265 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 15:55

is it that hard for people to seperate result from performance?

Consensus seems to be that Button got the max out of the McLaren for example. Just because that was only good enbough for 9th, doesnt mean Buttons effort deserves a 5.

Thats just an example.

Another could be Di Resta and Sutil. Just because Sutil ran at the front thaks to current tyres/regs, that doesnt mean to say he did better than Di Resta who out qualified him - thus making the situation come about in the race due to the different strategies they were on.

In general, I dont think they are far off. Vettel might be a bit hard done by, Massa is about right I think.