Gillette rumoured as new title sponsor for Mclaren

• Please log in to reply
1213 replies to this topic

#1201 MetallurgicalHedonist

MetallurgicalHedonist

• 398 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 14:49

[quote name="August" post="6793892" timestamp="

But, seems like the end of the Merc partnership has cost for Macca's prestige. McLaren-Mercedes was a strong brand, one of the most iconic racing teams and one of the most prestigious road car brands that also has racing heritage. McLaren-Honda, despite the successful late-80s/early-90s partnership, isn't as strong a brand.

So, Mclaren introduced Boss with Merc and with Macca and Merc going separate ways, Boss wants to sponsor Merc. Makes sense for a couple of reasons. F1 is probably quite small for their marketing and they can't sacrifice a larger partnership with Merc by sponsoring their rival in F1. Secondly, they probably rather want to be associated with a high-end car brand like Merc instead of a middle-end brand like Honda. The long Macca partnership doesn't matter then so much, especially as they haven't been so prominent there. Moses is moses, business is business.

Yeah well, OK, but after Porsche (like Mercedes a luxury car seller, as well) was gone after 1987, BOSS stayed by the side of McLaren while Honda came on board in 1988. And they stayed after the successful partnership of McLaren and Honda ended and "only" Ford as customer engine came on board and afterwards Peugeot. From that perspective, they could've joined Ferrari (THE brand of F1 and associated with successful people who drive Ferraris and considering all that marketing gimmickery) by the end of 1987 or by the end of 1992. Didn't happen, though.

By the way, how are the selling figures of "Blackberry" who were said to be in a difficult business situation? Now that Mercedes is on top in F1 (maybe not for that long anymore because of the FRIC-ban but that's another issue), it should have an effect on the wealth of the mobile phone company while it's looking more than good for Mercedes in the present situation.

Advertisement

#1202 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,629 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 19:33

By the way, how are the selling figures of "Blackberry" who were said to be in a difficult business situation? Now that Mercedes is on top in F1 (maybe not for that long anymore because of the FRIC-ban but that's another issue), it should have an effect on the wealth of the mobile phone company while it's looking more than good for Mercedes in the present situation.

Blackberry are in such a deep hole that no amount of sponsorship or marketing money is going to help them. They need to start to actually make good phones that can compete with Apple, Samsung, Sony, Nokia, HTC etc head-to-head. Or alternatively get out of hardware and see if they can make more money supplying business oriented apps to run on the other platforms.

#1203 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,066 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 19:34

I'm waiting for them to give in and make Blackberry hardware that runs on someone else's software .I have no interest in the OS, but I like having a keyboard.

#1204 RonnyRonny

RonnyRonny

• 366 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 20:01

Blackberry with android OS would sell like theres no tomorrow.

#1205 silense

silense

• 47 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 20:06

http://techcrunch.co...2014-seriously/

#1206 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,066 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 21:01

Blackberry with android OS would sell like theres no tomorrow.

I reckon it would, but there must be a reason they don't. Or that no one else bothers with a real keyboard. 

Have decent camera + keyboard = I'm in. Balls deep.

#1207 Laura23

Laura23

• 50 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 16:08

It's looking increasingly clear McLaren just don't have the pull they did a few years ago. That they have went this season without title sponsorship says a lot more than it did in 2006 given they had Vodafone lined up for 2007. It does make one wonder if they have a deal with someone who is already sponsoring another F1 team and waiting until that deal runs out at the end of this year. I find it unlikely though. 

It just seems odd to me that if they do have someone already signed up for 2015 why they wouldn't just get them on board for 2014 as well? It was rumoured Martini offered McLaren the chance to have them as a major sponsor, but not title sponsor but McLaren's prices drove them to Williams who accepted title sponsorship for much less. 

#1208 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 3,772 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 16:23

I think your second paragraph (albeit a rumour), contradicts your first.

Unfortunately, we really don't know what's going on behind closed doors. I personally think that it's got to do with McLaren having unrealistic expectations from a fairly average economy at the moment. But hey, they had a record budget this year, and will have a record budget next year, so... what do we know?

#1209 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 862 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 19:53

It's looking increasingly clear McLaren just don't have the pull they did a few years ago. That they have went this season without title sponsorship says a lot more than it did in 2006 given they had Vodafone lined up for 2007. It does make one wonder if they have a deal with someone who is already sponsoring another F1 team and waiting until that deal runs out at the end of this year. I find it unlikely though. 

It just seems odd to me that if they do have someone already signed up for 2015 why they wouldn't just get them on board for 2014 as well? It was rumoured Martini offered McLaren the chance to have them as a major sponsor, but not title sponsor but McLaren's prices drove them to Williams who accepted title sponsorship for much less. 

Not really an expert, but wouldn't Martini clash with Johnny Walker?

#1210 Laura23

Laura23

• 50 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 20:42

Of course but you'd imagine the Johnnie Walker deal would have been cut short had the come to a deal with Martini. I'm assuming it didn't ever get that close to completion in the end once prices were discussed.

#1211 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,972 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:02

I reckon it would, but there must be a reason they don't. Or that no one else bothers with a real keyboard. 

Have decent camera + keyboard = I'm in. Balls deep.

Have you tried the swipe typing that's standard in Android now?

So, so much quicker and easier than a miniature keyboard...

#1212 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,313 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:20

Only if they're in the same glass.

#1213 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,181 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:55

I'm surprised Martini have any money, I've never known anyone buy a bottle, not since the seventies anyway.

#1214 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,867 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:59

Only if they're in the same glass.

Not at all - you're describing a Manhattan cocktail. If the on/off New Jersey Grand Prix ever happens it would be a perfect combination!