* * * * * 5 votes

Gillette rumoured as new title sponsor for Mclaren

• Please log in to reply
1418 replies to this topic

#1401 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,874 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 20:20

I will have a good giggle of they go with some sort of tribute Marlboro knock-off. It will show they have all the imagination, flair, and corporate partnership skills of, err, not-really-Lotus.

Advertisement

#1402 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,596 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 20:24

Being Honda and all should it not be something like this?

main_imageL.jpg

:cool:

#1403 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,099 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 20:25

That's the point though.  If their potential customers already know about SAP, why waste their money sponsoring a F1 car?  If they aren't selling to Joe Public, they don't need the brand awareness.

Same logic would say Marlboro did not need to advertise in F1 as well.

#1404 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,874 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 20:34

It's not the same logic though. Marlboro is a basic consumer good. It's almost a commodity.

#1405 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 477 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 20:47

So now Fred is onboard, who would put money on Movistar as title sponsor?

#1406 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,874 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 20:53

I don't think there is enough F1 population in countries where Movistar exists to justify that expenditure. Title sponsorship, and at McLaren rates? If it was Telefonica itself maybe, but even that's a hard one to justify.

Movistar involved, sure. Movistar as primary? Boy, that'd be brave.

#1407 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 471 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 20:55

There won't be a title sponsor. They want the name to be McLaren Honda. They may have some new sponsors but it won't be a title sponsor.

#1408 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 3,897 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 20:57

main_imageL.jpg

I'm having a crisis at work when I look at this. Makes me want to have engine covers banned in F1! The cars would be a bit louder too!

#1409 taran

taran

• 1,821 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:19

Maybe a clue here to the future McLaren livery:

Alonso said: “I have never hidden my deep admiration for Ayrton Senna, my favourite driver, my idol on track, my reference. I still remember, as a kid, the posters in my wardrobe, my toy cars in which I dreamed I would one day emulate Ayrton, and the kart that my father built for my older sister, and that I ended up falling in love with.

“That kart had the livery of one of the most legendary partnerships in the history of Formula 1, McLaren-Honda, the car that Ayrton drove, the same partnership to which I am now honoured to join, to take part in the next Formula 1 world championship.

--> He refers to the legendary McLaren Honda livery, leaving Marlboro out of the equation. Seems to mee they could be using that for future references: 'the legendary McLaren Honda livery'

Would that be the same as the legendary McLaren TAG livery?

#1410 BigMac

BigMac

• 20 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:48

Would that be the same as the legendary McLaren TAG livery?

There was a picture of the kart doing the rounds and it was painted with the Marlboro colours

#1411 Owen

Owen

• 10,769 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:09

When we spoke with - someone senior at McLaren - about the livery, he did say, if its a Honda it should be mainly White with red. But he also said he would choose white and orange personally. Nothing was decided back in October anyway. I'm thinking white, Red & Black - but not a Marlboro pastiche, something new. Just a guess though!

#1412 ermo

ermo

• 173 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 14:45

On the subject of the thread title, one wonders if not the real reason Peter Prod commissioned the design of a new front wing with more elements is the Gillette tie up. After all, 'more blades' equals 'better' as far as Gillette's commercial spots are concerned...  ;)

1416570021.jpg

#1413 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 19:13

I don't think there is enough F1 population in countries where Movistar exists to justify that expenditure. Title sponsorship, and at McLaren rates? If it was Telefonica itself maybe, but even that's a hard one to justify.

Movistar involved, sure. Movistar as primary? Boy, that'd be brave.

Telefonica would have a hard time justifying F1 when they're busy selling off assets globally in order to reduce their massive debt. They've recently admitted that O2 UK is available for sale should anyone want it.

#1414 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,005 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 20:02

Telefonica would have a hard time justifying F1 when they're busy selling off assets globally in order to reduce their massive debt. They've recently admitted that O2 UK is available for sale should anyone want it.

They don't seem to be having much success in flogging off O2 - even BT, who originally owned what is now O2 (then called Cellnet), passed and have announced that they are buying EE instead.

#1415 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 417 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 20:02

So now Fred is onboard, who would put money on Movistar as title sponsor?

With all the new sponsors at ferrari its looking likely Santander might be jumping ship

#1416 BRG

BRG

• 11,923 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 20:16

With all the new sponsors at ferrari its looking likely Santander might be jumping ship

Oh Lord, cue more excruciating TV adverts with Jenson lurking behind innocent people's front doors waiting to extol the benefits of a Santander account.

Mind you, it would be even more scary if it was Fernando....

#1417 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 20:18

I doubt Telmex are about to become one of the main Ferrari sponsors.

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 16 December 2014 - 20:18.

#1418 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 20:44

They don't seem to be having much success in flogging off O2 - even BT, who originally owned what is now O2 (then called Cellnet), passed and have announced that they are buying EE instead.

Three is sniffing around as well. They recently bought the Irish version of O2.

#1419 Hollow

Hollow

• 249 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 20:48

Nothing was decided back in October anyway. I'm thinking white, Red & Black - but not a Marlboro pastiche, something new. Just a guess though!

I don't know if there will be a mayor sponsor or not after all so I can't guess colors but I agree with you on one thing -  there will be no free publicity for Marlboro.