Gillette rumoured as new title sponsor for Mclaren

• Please log in to reply
1213 replies to this topic

#401 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,524 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:59

I'm not sure.

What people say tho is that Hirai actually likes F1 and sometimes visits Suzuka GP.

The only thing that's certain is that it looks like the car they are next to and watching in that capture is Ferrari/Alonso as Lotus (that's behind them) on the odd number of the grid at Suzuka was Kimi. :D

Anyway dont take that seriously. I couldnt be bothered to pass this on to here at that time cos too insignificant. But now doing it just for fun :p

I don't think CEO's of companies that size go anywhere without also having the company's agenda on their minds... If he's an F1 fan that's great, but you don't just go to the Grand Prix and get grid and paddock access without then wanting to have some conversations with people in charge of their team's sponsor portfolios...

Advertisement

#402 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:14

Any idea who he was a guest of? Or was he just there of his own accord?

He was there of his own accord, but of course, it was  a Honda Accord..

07-2014-honda-accord-phev-fd.jpg

#403 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,524 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:18

#404 Jongas

Jongas

• 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 00:16

Anyone see this GSK Mclaren story....

http://news.sky.com/...-in-drug-trials

#405 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,992 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:35

A Japanese racing magazine claiming it will be Xperia Mclaren. :drunk:

will they be right? :cat:

#406 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,162 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:58

That would make a lot of sense, Sony really want that smartphone market.

#407 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,010 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:02

I would like to remind you all that Lucozade is a GSK brand.

#408 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:09

I would like to remind you all that Lucozade is a GSK brand.

Not anymore. It was sold.

#409 Option1

Option1

• 13,087 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:50

I don't think CEO's of companies that size go anywhere without also having the company's agenda on their minds... If he's an F1 fan that's great, but you don't just go to the Grand Prix and get grid and paddock access without then wanting to have some conversations with people in charge of their team's sponsor portfolios...

Dan, sorry, but that's very naive.  What many CEO's of companies that size go to any event for is to get their noses in the trough, for the VIP treatment, for the freebies, and the fawning. 

Of course, there might be a middle ground between your naivety and my excessive cynicism.  :D

Neil

#410 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,867 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:14

or is it make.believe?

#411 Hamm

Hamm

• 49 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 16:01

50b3308ddad5.1388073373.jpg

#412 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 389 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 16:24

or is it make.believe?

And since one of the hottest thing right now is PS4 maybe throw in Greatness Awaits :)

#413 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,321 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:14

I could get used to that. :up:

#414 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,145 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 16:37

That looks cool  :eek:

#415 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,263 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:18

Who dropped the McLaren in the Time Vortex?

#416 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 856 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:35

Who dropped the McLaren in the Time Vortex?

It was so fast, it drifted into a new dimension  :smoking:

#417 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,792 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:12

They also believe Alonso is driving for McLaren in 2014 yes? I see #14 on the car so :drunk:

#418 unico

unico

• 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:29

:clap: so cool

#419 Christophe77

Christophe77

• 53 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:57

Sony can be a logical step. Follow me on this speculation: McLaren now has entered the car market firmly. How did that plan out? First they had a partnership with Peugeot, who were unwilling to support the planned McLaren car business. That explained the switch to Merc. Not long after that, Mclaren developed and build the SLR. McLaren gained valuable experience 'mass' producing cars. Now McLaren cars is a business on it's own. What if Ron's plan is to enter the high end B2C electronics market next? I'm thinking mobile phones etc. What if the plan is to develop McLaren Electronics, already existing, into another big money maker entering the consumer market? That was maybe the plan with Vodafone, it didn't work out and now maybe it's possible via Sony? 

Pure speculation ofcourse... but could make sense. McLaren mobile phone anyone?

Advertisement

#420 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 856 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 19:09

Sony can be a logical step. Follow me on this speculation: McLaren now has entered the car market firmly. How did that plan out? First they had a partnership with Peugeot, who were unwilling to support the planned McLaren car business. That explained the switch to Merc. Not long after that, Mclaren developed and build the SLR. McLaren gained valuable experience 'mass' producing cars. Now McLaren cars is a business on it's own. What if Ron's plan is to enter the high end B2C electronics market next? I'm thinking mobile phones etc. What if the plan is to develop McLaren Electronics, already existing, into another big money maker entering the consumer market? That was maybe the plan with Vodafone, it didn't work out and now maybe it's possible via Sony? 

I don't see that tbh. If we look what McLaren electronics or McLaren applied technologies are doing than you might notice that they are doing a whole other thing all together. It has a bit of "science study" feel to it, in the way that they try to venture into new fields, products and concepts. So in a saturated market like mobile phones, where is the place for McLaren exactly? McLaren (automotive) always pride themselves for the 'exclusivity' factor, something like that would just not fit in at all in their marketing.

Just my opinion but people overthink some stuff here. It might be a technical partnership with a good money flow, but it might just only be the latter. Just you know. Money for a big spot on the car and some sponsor days with the drivers.

#421 BRG

BRG

• 11,486 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 19:34

I think people should wait to hear who, if anybody, is McLaren's new main sponsor before undertaking flights of fancy based on zero evidence.

#422 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,233 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 19:43

Is that a fact? 

#423 Owen

Owen

• 10,452 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:54

@f1mclarenfan: we are now officially #McLarenMercedes over at http://t.co/1GuCh4voif ...and there is more black ... #justsaying

#424 10e10

10e10

• 802 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:37

@f1mclarenfan: we are now officially #McLarenMercedes over at http://t.co/1GuCh4voif ...and there is more black ... #justsaying

Hmm, does that mean that there won't be a major sponsor? Because, why would they change their website twice? Or they will go this year as just "McLaren Mercedes" and will only use a major sponsor when Honda returns. Kind of what they did in 2006.

#425 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:14

Maybe just black and chrome, I imagine it l would look pretty sweet!

#426 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,047 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:55

Hmm, does that mean that there won't be a major sponsor? Because, why would they change their website twice? Or they will go this year as just "McLaren Mercedes" and will only use a major sponsor when Honda returns. Kind of what they did in 2006.

Will be pretty damning for the sport if a team of McLaren's status CAN'T attract a title sponsor.

#427 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,040 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:59

Well, just looking at the market the going will have been tough.

It's been a while since we had non-tobacco title sponsors. ING really, and before that I can't even remember. And a lot of those will have been connected to or subsidised by the manufacturer.

#428 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,677 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:00

But McLaren did have new (or at least increased) sponsorship from Diageo and Emirates in 2006 which was extremely visible on the car.  It would be odd to see the team running without a title sponsor at all this season.

#429 GiuseppeF1

GiuseppeF1

• 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 20:53

Well, just looking at the market the going will have been tough.

It's been a while since we had non-tobacco title sponsors. ING really, and before that I can't even remember. And a lot of those will have been connected to or subsidised by the manufacturer.

RED BULL Racing

BMW Williams

DHL Jordan Honda

ING Renault F1 Team

AT&T Williams

PANASONIC Toyota Racing . . .

#430 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,407 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:07

Pretty much all deals 10 years old

#431 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,040 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:18

Yeah, that AT&T deal was *huge*

#432 GiuseppeF1

GiuseppeF1

• 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 22:14

Yeah, that AT&T deal was *huge*

Was still a title sponsorship though - also:

VODAFONE McLaren Mercedes of course,

ORANGE Arrows,

SAHARA Force India Formula One Team

Mercedes AMG PETRONAS Formula One Team,

All also non-tobacco title sponsors since the tobacco hey-days

#433 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,040 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 22:43

Orange disappeared in like 2002.

Vodafone started out as D2 at Benetton and the branding changed with the merger and moved to Ferrari in 2002. Title role at McLaren in 2007. Probably similar money to what they paid at Ferrari but much bigger real estate at McLaren. Or maybe they paid more and wanted to be primary. 

Sahara, I'm not sure what's really going on there. 

Petronas just switched from one manufacturer team to another, and have been in F1 since the mid 90s. Plus the move to Merc got them the supply deal in the Mercedes factories, so it made money back for them.

So whatever McLaren get will be the first major sponsorship signing for an F1 team in a long long time. Assuming it's not some Honda b2b deal.

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 05 January 2014 - 22:44.

#434 BWT

BWT

• 107 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 22:46

This is a complete rip off of the template I created.

#435 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 23:49

This is a complete rip off of the template I created.

So i gather you don't like it then lol

#436 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,080 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 00:19

Vodafone started out as D2 at Benetton and the branding changed with the merger and moved to Ferrari in 2002. Title role at McLaren in 2007. Probably similar money to what they paid at Ferrari but much bigger real estate at McLaren. Or maybe they paid more and wanted to be primary. 

Petronas just switched from one manufacturer team to another, and have been in F1 since the mid 90s. Plus the move to Merc got them the supply deal in the Mercedes factories, so it made money back for them.

So whatever McLaren get will be the first major sponsorship signing for an F1 team in a long long time. Assuming it's not some Honda b2b deal.

Sahara's just the co-owners company. It's not really different from any of Mallya's brands on that car.

#437 Murl

Murl

• 274 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:21

Sahara's just the co-owners company. It's not really different from any of Mallya's brands on that car.

Tobacco companies put their brand in the official team name because they had so few marketing opportunities left. It's really not that big a deal, unless you are a tobacco company.

#438 OSX

OSX

• 4,188 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:16

So that means that this year's car will look more like it did in 2006. The basic livery stays pretty much the same as it was last year only there will be less red.

P5aK5qH.jpg

#439 chumma

chumma

• 957 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:02

I still miss the West days...black mclarens are the best mclarens.

Advertisement

#440 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,876 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:29

Ross, your criteria appears to be to rule out any sponsorship deal other than ING for one reason or another - just so you're right! But the fact is that there have been a number of "major" (your word) new sponsors attracted to F1 in the last few years, from Virgin to Verizon, Blackberry to Burn - whether you like it or not! 

#441 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,876 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:31

But McLaren did have new (or at least increased) sponsorship from Diageo and Emirates in 2006 which was extremely visible on the car.  It would be odd to see the team running without a title sponsor at all this season.

Would "McLaren" as title sponsor qualify - since the likes of Lotus and Infiniti already do...

#442 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:36

Would "McLaren" as title sponsor qualify - since the likes of Lotus and Infiniti already do...

Lotus as bizarre as it sounds don't actually sponsor or have any connection to the current Lotus team.

Edited by JRizzle86, 06 January 2014 - 20:31.

#443 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,715 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:45

So that means that this year's car will look more like it did in 2006. The basic livery stays pretty much the same as it was last year only there will be less red.

P5aK5qH.jpg

I thought their 2006 livery was far nicer than anything they have produced since (I know it isn't that much different)

I liked their 'West' liveries I must say.

#444 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,047 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:51

I still miss the West days...black mclarens are the best mclarens.

Still think it was F1's biggest mistake to give into political pressure and ban tobacco sponsorship. Partly explains why so many teams are in financial dire straits these days.

#445 Treads

Treads

• 741 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:57

Lotus as bizarre as it sounds do not actually sponsor or have any connection to the current Lotus team.

Fixed  :yawnface:

#446 Darren1

Darren1

• 60 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:06

I think everyone is stressing too much.  The link with Vodafone would have run out on Dec 31st so they can't use that, and they don't want to announce the new sponsor for a few weeks. 

Website "hits" are a valuable commodity when marketing to new sponsors so they can't take the site down and they'll already own the domains etc.  It'll all change again at the launch.

#447 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,629 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:19

Ross, your criteria appears to be to rule out any sponsorship deal other than ING for one reason or another - just so you're right! But the fact is that there have been a number of "major" (your word) new sponsors attracted to F1 in the last few years, from Virgin to Verizon, Blackberry to Burn - whether you like it or not! 

Being fair to Ross, he's talking about title sponsors. Of your list:

Virgin: Dabbled as a minor sponsor at Brawn, came in as a team owner, and sold out to Marussia in a hurry. Was never a title sponsor in the normal title sponsor role.

Verizon: Not a title sponsor. IIRC, only involved due to being a Vodafone associated brand that made more sense for the American rounds.

Blackberry: Not a title sponsor.

Burn: Not a title sponsor.

Still think it was F1's biggest mistake to give into political pressure and ban tobacco sponsorship. Partly explains why so many teams are in financial dire straits these days.

F1 didn't give in. When the ban came into force, it was because for the vast majority of races on the calendar tobacco advertising was either already illegal, or would very soon become illegal. It was either ban tobacco sponsorship appearing on the cars, or face having TV revenue slashed because they wouldn't be able to race and/or broadcast into a growing number of countries (including the entirety of the EU, plus other long-term races such as Australia).

The ban isn't on tobacco sponsorship per se, either - IIRC Marlboro continued to sponsor Ferrari long after the on-car branding was banned. It wasn't until mid-season in 2011 that "Marlboro" was removed from the team name, and I believe Marlboro are still shovelling money into the team despite having no actual branding. 

#448 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,040 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:41

Though the way the Coca Cola/Burn rumours, and announcement, were covered; you'd have thought it was going to be a big deal. 

Unfortunately the major deals of the past few years have been trackside advertising. UBS, Emirates, etc. 

#449 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,040 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:51

We've also all forgotten Infiniti, but that's a strange one too. 

#450 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,080 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 14:22

F1 was lucky to keep tobacco sponsorship into the 2000s as it was. There is no way that income could ever come back, the law in most major countries forbids it.