Photo

Leo Geoghegan Ansett Elfin MR6

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:49

Just flicking thru RCN May 1973 to ASSC round at AIR April 8th. Support race has Leo Geoghegan in Garrie Cooper's Elfin MR6 having a great battle with McCormack, also MR6 mounted. Leo took fastest lap too - 51.1 to J Mac's 51.8. Garrie was back in the car for the next race. Would that have been Leo's only F5000 drive?

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 20:37

That was in the MR5s...

That was Leo's only race drive of a F5000, but he'd previously driven the MR5 (from memory) at Calder in private practice. I'd have to look at his chapter in our book to be sure, but I think he also had a drive of Gary Campbell's car at the Farm.

Don't you have the book?

#3 launchpad

launchpad

• 146 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 20:41

Just flicking thru RCN May 1973 to ASSC round at AIR April 8th. Support race has Leo Geoghegan in Garrie Cooper's Elfin MR6 having a great battle with McCormack, also MR6 mounted. Leo took fastest lap too - 51.1 to J Mac's 51.8. Garrie was back in the car for the next race. Would that have been Leo's only F5000 drive?

Hi elrosso,
Leo apparently drove Gary Campbell's Lola in "practice at Warwick Farm once".
This information came from Tony Oxley's Formula 5000 Thunder book (page 200)
I don't have a pic of it - maybe Lynton might as he went to practice days at the Farm more than I did.
Cheers.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 21:40

In turn the information came from Leo talking to him at his present abode...

I personally don't remember seeing him in Gary's car, but it could have been a private practice day.

#5 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 22:01

Thanks Rod and Ray. Just read Leo's story in the book - no Ray, I'm afraid I haven't read it from cover to cover yet. I like to go back to big books every now and again and read something new. Looked at all the pictures and their credits though of course....... I haven't even got to the end of the Speedway book yet!

As you say though Ray, a Geoghegan Team F5000 with Leo at the wheel would have been a great combo. His finesse would have suited them perfectly.

Liked those wet shots at Newry too Rod.

#6 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 1,656 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:07

Hi elrosso,
Leo apparently drove Gary Campbell's Lola in "practice at Warwick Farm once".
This information came from Tony Oxley's Formula 5000 Thunder book (page 200)
I don't have a pic of it - maybe Lynton might as he went to practice days at the Farm more than I did.
Cheers.

By 1972 my practice days were over.

The Saturdays were occupied helping Ian Field build his clubman.