* * * - - 5 votes

Vettel apologises to Webber for ignoring team orders

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
443 replies to this topic

#1 camberley

camberley

• 438 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:43

Webber made his displeasure obvious after the race and Vettel has now apologised.

"At end I felt I had strong pace and on a new set of medium tyres I had a bit more speed and it was a close fight, but I did a big mistake today," said the triple champion.

"We should have stayed in the positions we were in. I didn't ignore it [the order] on purpose but I messed up in that situation.

"I took the lead from Mark, which I can see now he is upset about, but I want to be honest and stick to truth, and apologise.

"I took quite a lot of risk to pass him and I should have behaved better.

"It doesn't help his feelings right now. Apologies to Mark and now result is there, but all I can say is that I didn't do it deliberately."

Advertisement

#2 jerriy

jerriy

• 282 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:45

Webber should never have stormed past Vettel out of the pits and zig-zag in front of him.

Had that not happened Vettel wouldn't feel the need to "get even" in the next lap.

Edited by jerriy, 24 March 2013 - 10:49.

#3 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:46

I hope he learns something form this.

What happened in Silverstone, the poor strategy today is irrelevant.

He should be a team player regardless of what Mark is doing (and i find it funny that people see Mark as a victim overall, he pulled plenty of shady s@it himself).

#4 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,487 posts

Webber made his displeasure obvious after the race and Vettel has now apologised.

"At end I felt I had strong pace and on a new set of medium tyres I had a bit more speed and it was a close fight, but I did a big mistake today," said the triple champion.

"We should have stayed in the positions we were in. I didn't ignore it [the order] on purpose but I messed up in that situation.

"I took the lead from Mark, which I can see now he is upset about, but I want to be honest and stick to truth, and apologise.

"It doesn't help his feelings right now. Apologies to Mark and now result is there, but all I can say is that I didn't do it deliberately."

Hmmm.

#5 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Isn't that lovely, like it changes anything. It's bloody obvious Vettel just wants the points and will do anything for it, apologizing like this isn't going to help.

#6 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,567 posts

Just return the points you robbed him and we´re cool :smoking:

#7 Sof1

Sof1

• 652 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:47

How can you pass your team mate, after being told to maintain position, unintentionally? lol

#8 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:47

25-year old triple-WC and the #1 on the grid has to babysit his 37-something teammate. First time in history?

#9 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:48

This is not an apology, it is a smartass way of being an asshole.

#10 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,439 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:48

Vettel is lying through his teeth, but he is laughing all the way to the bank.

#11 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:53

Well, that didn't look like an unintentional pass. That was anything but. Does that mean he would give back 7 pts worth of places in the future to Webber?

#12 e34

e34

• 762 posts

So now, Vettel is calling us all idiots. He overtook his teammate "not on purpose"? How the hell do you overtake your teammate not on purpose? Is he implying that he is faster than the speed of ligth or something, and that he forgot to disconnect hyper-space mode?

Being a ruthless bas**rd I can understand. Being a ruthless bas**rd and then trying to play Mr. Nice guy again, no.

He could learn from Hamilton, who today has showed a lesson both to Vettel and to Alonso; that is how you thank your teammate for being a good teammate.

#13 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Just return the points you robbed him and we´re cool :smoking:

Seb won 2010 and 2012 by very narrow margins. If this year turns out to be close as well, these 7 pts could become very handy for Seb.

Irrespective of the above, Seb should return the favor in future races to show that he is a good sport! It won't be difficult if RBR could get on top of their tyre troubles, which they seemed to manage quite well in the race today.

#14 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:55

Unintentional pass!!!! :rotfl: How dumb does he think his team, his teammate & his fans are? :rolleyes:

#15 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,387 posts

What a hypocrite

#16 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Seb won 2010 and 2012 by very narrow margins. If this year turns out to be close as well, these 7 pts could become very handy for Seb.

Irrespective of the above, Seb should return the favor in future races to show that he is a good sport! It won't be difficult if RBR could get on top of their tyre troubles, which they seemed to manage quite well in the race today.

He isn't, so he won't.

But he's thinking of the championship, and Webber isn't, so Vettel wins these little fights, again and again.

#17 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

He could learn from Hamilton, who today has showed a lesson both to Vettel and to Alonso; that is how you thank your teammate for being a good teammate.

There is nothing to learn from Hamilton today. Hamilton could easily have yielded that podium to Rosberg. All he needs to do was lift his foot off the throttle for 1-2s along the straight.

#18 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:56

Loving the hypocrisy of some Alonso/Ferrari fans in times like this.

#19 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:56

What if he beats Webber to the WDC with 6 a point lead?

Advertisement

#20 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:57

The apology doesn't change anything. The record books will still say Vettel won and Webber came 2nd, and Vettel got 25 points and Webber 18. Webber doesn't sound interested in the apology, haven't heard him say "I accept the apology" or anything even remotely similar to that.

#21 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Hmm, if he didn't mean to overtake then he could very easily have given the position back in the ten laps that he had remaining in which to so. He should just man up and admit he wanted to win the race more than he wanted to follow the team's instruction.

#22 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Vettel's an arsehole. I quite liked him up until today, but not anymore.

If you have a handshake deal before the race that whomever's leading after the last stop, you stick to it.

Whilst Webber made a bit of a show that he was challenging Vettel at Silverstone 2011, ultimately he deferred to the team order.

#23 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:58

Then he'd have more than deserved it. Webber didn't deserve to lead this race at any point.

#24 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Little pr*ck, trying to make us look like fools. Of course he did it on purpose...

#25 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Whilst Webber made a bit of a show that he was challenging Vettel at Silverstone 2011, ultimately he deferred to the team order.

Nope. The propaganda machine certainly tried it's best to make it seem like it.

Edited by choyothe, 24 March 2013 - 10:59.

#26 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:59

Unintentional pass!!!! :rotfl: How dumb does he think his team, his teammate & his fans are? :rolleyes:

Exactly. It's one of those PR statements for the headline readers: "Vettel apologises to Webber" is all what most people will read about it. :up:

#27 prty

prty

• 8,436 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:59

As some trivia, "Multi 21" means that the 2nd positioned driver shouldn't pass the 1st positioned driver.
Of course he didn't know, and as he said in SKY, he would stand by the truth! :drunk:

#28 dimoose

dimoose

• 89 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:00

I'm all for team mates fighting it out till the end. But at least make it a fair fight, when ones on fuel save mode been told the race is his and then.....
doesn't seem like a fair fight to me.

#29 e34

e34

• 762 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:01

There is nothing to learn from Hamilton today. Hamilton could easily have yielded that podium to Rosberg. All he needs to do was lift his foot off the throttle for 1-2s along the straight.

Of course. But then, he would have not complied with team orders.

If you comply with the order given, you acknowledge it at the end of the race, thank your teammate and go on to sove whatever problem inside the team. As opposed to say nothing happened, I was faster, or I really didn't mean it. Had Vettel said I was a pr*ck. In the heat of the moment I breached the orders and that is plainly wrong, his apology would have looked like a real one, after the adrenalin levels returned to normal. As it was, he just sounded like a spoilt brat.

#30 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:01

:up: I used to dislike Hamilton but he's maturing. Showed some real class after todays race. Never thought i'd say it but i'm becoming a Lewis fan. :blush:

#31 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 1,008 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:02

When the team makes an agreement you have to stick to that. Really wrong from Vettel in my opinion. Sure he made his apology, but what gets Webber from that? At the end of this season no one will talk about this anymore and Vettel probably won his 4th consecutive title. Shame for Webber, he deserved the victory today.

#32 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:03

Then he'd have more than deserved it. Webber didn't deserve to lead this race at any point.

What a complete load of absolute tosh (definitely being polite there to avoid a ban).

#33 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Vettel's an arsehole. I quite liked him up until today, but not anymore.

That's pretty impressive, for me that must be three years ago.

#34 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

This really made me lose respect for Vettel :|

#35 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

He isn't, so he won't.

But he's thinking of the championship, and Webber isn't, so Vettel wins these little fights, again and again.

We have a clear winner in the fight between a 3-time WDC vs 36-year old teammate. The team will pick the right choice if push comes to shove.

Even Webber has no qualms about Vettel's status in that team. "In the end Seb made his own decisions today and will have protection as usual, and that's the way it goes." - Webber.

Can't wait for China in 3 weeks time. :up:

#36 sha

sha

• 199 posts

fake apologies. He would sell his mom for a victory.

#37 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:04

But the hypocresy of some Vettel/Red Bull fans is hilarious. They flood the forum with endless threads hating on Alonso and Ferrari for things that aren't there. However, in days like this they will be mum and complaint people are so mean to their team and driver.

#38 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:04

I'm all for team mates fighting it out till the end. But at least make it a fair fight, when ones on fuel save mode been told the race is his and then.....
doesn't seem like a fair fight to me.

It wasn't a race before that either, otherwise Vettel would've been clearly ahead already.

#39 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,439 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:05

:rotfl: :up:

Advertisement

#40 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

When the team makes an agreement you have to stick to that. Really wrong from Vettel in my opinion. Sure he made his apology, but what gets Webber from that? At the end of this season no one will talk about this anymore and Vettel probably won his 4th consecutive title. Shame for Webber, he deserved the victory today.

If Vettel wraps this title early, he could return the favor to Webber like Brazilian 2011 where he suddenly encountered a "gearbox" problem.

#41 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Hamilton was forced to slow right down due to fuel conservation. I have no doubt Rosberg could've overtaken him at any time in the last three laps. Hamilton also would've known that and that is why he showed the humility to admit on the podium that he didn't deserve to be there. Is he supposed to pull onto the dirty side of the track and wave him through? I'm no Hamilton fan, but he was humble and gracious today. They are only words, but for Rosberg, they are what you want to hear said publicly and plainly.

#42 asmodeo

asmodeo

• 93 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:06

Loving the hypocrisy of some Hamilton/Mercedes, Vettel/Red Bull, Kimi/Lotus fans in times like this.

#43 w00dy

w00dy

• 1,306 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:06

Seb is tainting his 4th championship bid very early. Better hope its worth it

#44 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,226 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:08

25-year old triple-WC and the #1 on the grid has to babysit his 37-something teammate. First time in history?

He is a cancer. With Marko in his back pocket, Seb thinks the team is his to run as he pleases. Horner is a powerless prat, bumbling excuses as to why his glory boy can't be controlled.

#45 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:10

If Vettel wraps this title early, he could return the favor to Webber like Brazilian 2011 where he suddenly encountered a "gearbox" problem.

It is going to be hard to wrap up the title early if next time Webber is behind Vettel on a faster car/tires, Webber is asked to hold station to protect Vettel's win.

I don't see this working anymore.

#46 LukeM

LukeM

• 966 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:11

He is a cancer. With Marko in his back pocket, Seb thinks the team is his to run as he pleases. Horner is a powerless prat, bumbling excuses as to why his glory boy can't be controlled.

:up:

#47 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Hypocritical pseudo apology.

As for the whole issue, let me quote myself:

I don't know who was "right" but the racing was good. As it should be.

It seems like Mark yielded a bit at the end, if so than it's a shame because the battle for the lead could have been longer.

While I like Mark very much (more than Seb) and I often support him during the races I don't like team orders. So I can't blame Vettel much and I'm happy we didn't watch a team orders procession, though I wish that after the battle Mark would won, not Seb.
On other hand, if the orders were really issued, Mark slowed down and was unprepared to defend, than what Vettel did was shameful. I'm sure there was a way to show Webber that they're racing before passing him.

The podium ceremony was interesting. You could also see that Hamilton wasn't happy with the way he got the podium finish (good on him!).

--
It would be OK for me if Vettel said out loud to the team that he will attack Webber's lead and shown himself in his mirrors in a clear way a few turns before. This way Webber would have known what the situation is. In such situation I would only be happy because for me TO aren't a good thing and it was good racing for the lead.

Unless due to TO (favorable for Webber) the strategy was altered in a way which have given Vettel an edge or Webber an disadvantage (which wouldn't be important when TO are in effect).

Actually it can't be viewed as fair, because Webber surely slowed down allowing Vettel to catch him easier.

Edited by DrProzac, 24 March 2013 - 11:30.

#48 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

But the hypocresy of some Vettel/Red Bull fans is hilarious. They flood the forum with endless threads hating on Alonso and Ferrari for things that aren't there. However, in days like this they will be mum and complaint people are so mean to their team and driver.

Yes, true about some Vettel/Red Bull fans and even some Webber fans. But Alonso/Ferrari fans are on a different class altogether when it comes to things like it. They should just stay out of it, and better stick to 'favouritism is fine' stand.

#49 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

he will be happy he overtook him today :p

#50 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,387 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:14

:up: