1947 Welsh trials

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 17:17

Hi,
im looking for names of entries for the 1947 Light Car Welsh Trials, presumably at Clee Hills. Would there be anywhere else in Wales that year? Has anyone got a program please to look something up for me.
Paul

Edited by Hse289, 24 March 2013 - 17:24.

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 17:32

And there was I thinking the Clee Hills were in Shropshire (England) :)

#3 Jagjon

Jagjon

• 146 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 19:42

Hi,
im looking for names of entries for the 1947 Light Car Welsh Trials, presumably at Clee Hills. Would there be anywhere else in Wales that year? Has anyone got a program please to look something up for me.
Paul

The Clee Hills are in the Bridgenorth - Tenbury Wells area of Shropshire.
This may not be the event you seek but this was held in very icey & snowy conditions.
The 1947 Hagley & District Light Car Club Clee Hill Trial on Feb 2nd 1947 was won by Ken Wharton. Wharton sp. Other prize winners: Delinpole HRG /Parker Allard/Burgess Allard/ 1st class:Wise Austin/Flather Rover sp./Appleton Allard.
2nd class: Lund MG/ Milburn MG/AsburyFord sp.
Team: Delinpole.Parker.Wharton.
Cyril Bold & John Newton dns. a few others Mansell /Gibson Allard/ May/ Ford? /Grove MG/
Other events that may have been held in Wales may have been run by the Liverpool MC or other fairly local clubs, but lots of events were postponed because of the bad snow in 1947.
I can't say I have the info you are looking for but if you give a hint of what you seek then maybe I have something. J.

#4 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:41

Thanks for replying guys, as you can see im a bit stuck. I have a book with a picture of Ken Miles in a Frazer Nash at an event that just say`s Light car club Welsh Trials 1947.
I would like to know more about where this was and where Miles finished please. I assumed it was Clee Hill. :blush:

#5 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:07

The Clee Hills are in the Bridgenorth - Tenbury Wells area of Shropshire.

Except for there being no "e" in Bridgnorth and Tenbury Wells being in Hereford and Worcester...

Brown Clee Hill (which I can't actually see from here today in this God-forsaken weather) is the highest point in Shropshire (by 4 metres over Manstone Rock on The Stiperstones, which is more visible from here...).

#6 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:36

I see even the MAC are unsure as to whether it's the Clee Hill Trial or the Clee Hills Trial but seem to think there is one Clee Hill rather than two. Or did it originally take it's name from the nearby village of Cleehill?

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:54

MotorSport lists a Hagley & DLCC Welsh 12 Hours Trial for 1 June under 'Coming Events' but I couldn't find a report or even bare results

There were however plenty of West of England trials in 1947 that might have strayed into Wales

#8 Jagjon

Jagjon

• 146 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:13

MotorSport lists a Hagley & DLCC Welsh 12 Hours Trial for 1 June under 'Coming Events' but I couldn't find a report or even bare results

There were however plenty of West of England trials in 1947 that might have strayed into Wales

There is a history section on the Hagley & District Motor Club web site with video from 1948 which is also from youtube, & amongst other videos from the club events, so someone perhaps has
film of other events in 1947. Contact the club or check youtube for who posted the film. - handle is"Trialswoody"
There is film of an event in July 1947 HDLCC Speed Trials at Rushmere near Bridgnorth Summer 1947. Perhaps worth watching to see an amazing pair of sunglasses!

The earlier Clee Hills event was held in a blizzard so maybe no movies!
I don't have any record of Ken Miles competing in any trial but that's not to say he didn't as there must have been lots of events with many competitors & I only have about 100names listed.
Maybe events results in the other motoring press of the day. Motor, Autocar etc.
Is there a reg no for the Fraser Nash? I think Miles emigrated in early 1950's so he could have been competing before then.

#9 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:02

Thanks guys,
I will follow up all the suggestions you gave me. :up:

#10 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:05

I see even the MAC are unsure as to whether it's the Clee Hill Trial or the Clee Hills Trial but seem to think there is one Clee Hill rather than two. Or did it originally take it's name from the nearby village of Cleehill?

The Clee Hills range is near where my sister lives in Ludlow, the two main hills being Titterstone Clee Hill and Brown Clee Hill with the village of Cleehill in their midst, so, conceivably, it could be either the singular or plural.

#11 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:27

with the village of Cleehill in their midst

Cleehill is to the south of both "Clee Hills" (on the Ludlow-Cleobury Mortimer/Kiderminster main road). Both hills are north of that road, Titterstone Clee summit about 1.5 miles north of it and Brown Clee several miles north of that. None of which rules out a "Classic Trial" using both but it does mean a "Sporting Trial" couldn't.
Immediately east of Brown Clee is the Burwarton Estate and the Ditton Priors former ammunition depot, both of which have served as special stages on the RAC Rally.