Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Driving Ability.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Ability. (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate your ability as a driver in everyday traffic.

1. I am in the top 1% of drivers (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

2. I am in the top 10% of drivers (9 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. I am in the top 20% of drivers (4 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

4. I am in the top 30% of drivers (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. I am in the top 40% of drivers (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

6. I am in the top 49.99% of drivers (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

7. I am just average (or below) (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:09

Contributors to Automotive Technical Fora are typically excellent drivers. How do you rate? What are your pet hates?

Personally, every time I drive and observe the imbeciles around me, I am reminded of just how good a driver I am.

Top 10% without question.

Edited by gruntguru, 25 March 2013 - 04:49.

Advertisement

#2 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,537 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:21

We need a "top 1%" choice to truly do justice to our elite skillz.

#3 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,388 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:37

Not me. While I'm handy at drifting a car through the on-ramp and am comfortable treating every street like a rally course (again in the snow), I find myself thinking more than I'd like to admit [I]that wasn't the safest / courteous thing to do. I prefer riding my bicycle (which came as a surprise) to the car on all but the worst days.

#4 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:47

Not me. While I'm handy at drifting a car through the on-ramp and am comfortable treating every street like a rally course (again in the snow), I find myself thinking more than I'd like to admit [I]that wasn't the safest / courteous thing to do. I prefer riding my bicycle (which came as a surprise) to the car on all but the worst days.

I'm not convinced Canuck. Your driving skills seem to be almost on par with my own.

#5 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:51

We need a "top 1%" choice to truly do justice to our elite skillz.

Fixed. Apologies to those who disagree with the re-rating of their vote (that's you Canuck).

Edit: I think its really cool that the pollster is able to rig the results after folks have voted. :rotfl:

Edited by gruntguru, 25 March 2013 - 04:53.

#6 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,776 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:05

I stuck myself in the top 10% just because I don't want to brag.

#7 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:18

I cannot participate as there is not a "In a class of my own" category. Sorry.

#8 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:43

As someone once said about a political opponent in the House of Commons - "He is a modest man, with much to be modest about." :)

#9 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:30

I would like to demonstrate my vastly superior driving talents,but "the man" keeps putting up signs telling me how to
drive and I get distracted then ..whadda ya know ! I lose my license...again !!

#10 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,718 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:21

It's not just forum members. According to a recent Ford survey, 98 percent of drivers rate their ability as well above average.

#11 slucas

slucas

• 74 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 19:47

It's not just forum members. According to a recent Ford survey, 98 percent of drivers rate their ability as well above average.

That 2% seems to make up a disproportionate number of drivers and why are they attracted to me?

#12 Fondles

Fondles

• 52 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:53

How do you measure such things?
I'll use myself as I know how I think and do things quite accurately.
- I am aware of the road rules and apply them as best I can. That means I don't speed, I always stop at stop signs, etc.
- I try to be courteous and so never block people from getting into my lane, leave space in front and behind me, etc.
- When stopping at the traffic lights near an intersection I never stop at the intersection and so block it off from other people getting in & out of that side road.
- I often watch other people on the road and think how I would have tackled the situation and I believe that I would have created less of a fuss or not gotten into that situation. Things like when I see the occasional accident, I am usually confident that I could have avoided it and from the other side of it not created the situation that caused the accident.

Judge me as you see fit.

#13 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,803 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 21:51

This old saying sums up what most people reckon how good their driving is.

Why is it that everyone driving faster than you is an idiot and everyone driving slower than you is a moron?

#14 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 22:34

I'm pretty awful. I (generally) keep it between the ditches, but that's about it.

#15 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 22:36

Oh ya, the last time I was asked this question was in traffic school. I was the only one in a class of maybe 200 to raise their hand as 'a bad driver'. Honestly, folks, we're in traffic school...

#16 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:23

So why do 17% of posters here say they are below average when the result for the general population is usually 2 or 3%? Are the technically minded more realistic in self assessment? Are we simply being perverse and posting a contrarian vote? (I voted myself in the top 1% in spite of a true self-rating around average or just above. I guess I thought I was being funny)

Edited by gruntguru, 26 March 2013 - 04:48.

#17 rek

rek

• 1,326 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:21

So why do 17% of posters here say they are below average when the result for the general population is usually 2 or 3%? Are the technically minded more realistic in self assessment? Are we simply being perverse and posting a contrarian vote? (I voted myself in the top 1% in spite of a true self-rating around average or just above. I guess I though I was being funny)

The Dunning-Kruger effect in action.

#18 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:47

Nice link - thanks rek!

#19 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:55

Lets get some teeth here,people.If you know of someone who rates themself as below average,but happily accepts it,I consider they should be
Denounced to the Authorities (as in Maoist China) and sent to Re-education Camp until they confess the Sin of Complacency,and start sliding
their cars on wet roads "to see what happens",Slamming on the brakes at 120km/h to find out vital data to log in the cranium,and generally
improving things for all of us.

Advertisement

#20 RDV

RDV

• 6,765 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:00

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”
Stirling Moss quote

#21 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,730 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:41

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”
Stirling Moss quote

The way I remember Moss's quote was that he had heard some men admit they were not much good at sex - but he had never heard any man admit that he wasn't a good driver.

#22 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 20:51

"drive and make love.”

That's like drinking and driving - you tend to spill a bit if you try to do them both at the same time.

#23 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 21:02

So why do 17% of posters here say they are below average when the result for the general population is usually 2 or 3%? Are the technically minded more realistic in self assessment?

I was talking to a friend one time about being me being a piss poor driver. He said something like, "I've ridden with you. You're not all that bad." I said, "I've ridden with you, and you're not qualified to be much of a judge."

Perhaps the difference is that we know what a good driver is and the general public doesn't.

The really good drivers are long haul truck drivers that have 2,000,000+ miles (about 15 years) with no accidents. It's pretty amazing someone can cover the ground they do and never get themselves in so deep in a situation as to not be able to get out of it.

#24 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 21:50

Yeah they have pretty good situational awareness. And they're about the only people to appreciate/acknowledge when you've made a move to make their life easier.

#25 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 21:53

I was talking to a friend one time about being me being a piss poor driver. He said something like, "I've ridden with you. You're not all that bad." I said, "I've ridden with you, and you're not qualified to be much of a judge."

Perhaps the difference is that we know what a good driver is and the general public doesn't.

The really good drivers are long haul truck drivers that have 2,000,000+ miles (about 15 years) with no accidents. It's pretty amazing someone can cover the ground they do and never get themselves in so deep in a situation as to not be able to get out of it.

A lot of those truckies have caused a few dozen accidents though. 40 tonne of truck usually forces good manners from the cars around them. I know a few like that and I know them to be lousy drivers. And they get worse as they get older.

#26 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,537 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 00:05

Here in the states, in my experience the commercial truck drivers are consistently and remarkably good at what they do.

#27 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,388 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:59

So why do 17% of posters here say they are below average when the result for the general population is usually 2 or 3%? Are the technically minded more realistic in self assessment? Are we simply being perverse and posting a contrarian vote? (I voted myself in the top 1% in spite of a true self-rating around average or just above. I guess I thought I was being funny)

The question may be subject to misinterpretation too I suppose. If you asked me about my confidence in my car handling skills, I'd say I'm above average. I'm very comfortable in the car when other people's eyes are getting awfully wide and they're grabbing for a hold. However you asked about daily traffic and frankly I suck in traffic. I'm bored and distracted and would almost always be somewhere else. The only time I feel as though my awareness levels are high is when I'm driving in anger as they say. It's likely a good thing the old BMW has the whee bit of power that it does or I'd have melted the tires off it today after crashing and breaking my bike.

#28 Deepak

Deepak

• 384 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 14:55

1% - driving here in India and getting away with just minor paint work does require special skills!

#29 GodHimself

GodHimself

• 402 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 16:26

It sure does. :lol:

#30 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:20

A lot of those truckies have caused a few dozen accidents though. 40 tonne of truck usually forces good manners from the cars around them. I know a few like that and I know them to be lousy drivers. And they get worse as they get older.

Do I really need to write the caveat that _every_ long haul truck driver is not the best driver? C'mon, Lee...

#31 meb58

meb58

• 603 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 18:01

I am incredibly impatient with other drivers; I expect drivers to move along with purpose, to avoid eating triple heart attack hamburgers whilst driving, to avoid reading the paper or a top seller novel whilst driving, to avoid applying makeup or shaving whilst driving, (I've experienced these on miltiple occasions on highway no less), to stay off the phone whilst driving, to maintain lane disipline whilst driving and to break the speed limit by at least 5 mph whilst driving. If you can do all of those then I place everyone in the top 98%. I place myself above that because I am the apparent keeper of judgment...and prefer daggers in the steering wheel rather than air bags.

Ehm!

...just re-read this...I might have anger issues with other drivers?

Edited by meb58, 27 March 2013 - 18:07.

#32 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 23:08

I am, on occassion, all of the above.

#33 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,120 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:40

There is nothing impossible about the fact that majority of drivers (but obviously not 90%+) could be better than average. Not all things are distributed on a bell curve. I wouldn't be at all surprised if most drivers are quite adequate, and that there is only a relatively small cohort that is much more dangerous behind the wheel than average.

#34 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:25

There is nothing impossible about the fact that majority of drivers (but obviously not 90%+) could be better than average. Not all things are distributed on a bell curve. I wouldn't be at all surprised if most drivers are quite adequate, and that there is only a relatively small cohort that is much more dangerous behind the wheel than average.

Good at maths were you? It is, of course, impossible for more than 50% to be more than average. Bell curves are about distribution, the average is a simple mathmatical summation and division, so 50% above, 50% below. Mind you, It is 60 years since I took A Level maths, so things may have changed...

#35 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,120 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 19:05

Good at maths were you? It is, of course, impossible for more than 50% to be more than average. Bell curves are about distribution, the average is a simple mathmatical summation and division, so 50% above, 50% below. Mind you, It is 60 years since I took A Level maths, so things may have changed...

I hope I am still good at maths, or I would be in trouble at work. What you are describing is median, not average, and it's always been that way. In a bell curve distribution, there is no difference between average and median, but that's not the case for most distributions.

If you have five drivers, with skills of 10, 10, 10, 10, and 0, what's the average skill? How many of those five drivers are above average?

#36 Fondles

Fondles

• 52 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 20:53

If you have five drivers, with skills of 10, 10, 10, 10, and 0, what's the average skill? How many of those five drivers are above average?

How many of them are women?

#37 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 21:23

Six, all blondes.

#38 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,366 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 22:02

Call me Mr 2-3 Second Gap.

#39 malbear

malbear

• 309 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:53

Contributors to Automotive Technical Fora are typically excellent drivers. How do you rate? What are your pet hates?

Personally, every time I drive and observe the imbeciles around me, I am reminded of just how good a driver I am.

I started driving granpas austin ute at 12 , as well as tractors . deliverd wheat to the local Nantawarra silo (without a licence ) in the 5 ton Morris commercial tipper truck. Back then police were very tollerent because family farms depended on childrens help. In 50 or so years of driving I have not hit anyone and none has hit me. I was charged with passing without due care in 1972. I pulled in between two slow vehicles as I was passing because a car started to pass the oncoming truck as I was passing. I have fallen off my motorcycle and hit two Kangaroos that sums it up .

Advertisement

#40 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 18:18

How does a commuter-type driver rated in top 1 [%] looks like?

#41 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 20:05

How does a commuter-type driver rated in top 1 [%] looks like?

Well he does at least don`t do what i used to do with my hatchback daily beater..
I remember one day on my way home when i watched the rearview mirror and i saw a big line and a SUV.. a big audi Q7 S-line something going past the entire line. And thought.. your not going through here too. And sure enough he went right up to me and tried to squeeze in front of me... .. he came closer and closer as the field narrowed... Side by side we where... i was in a relaxed state and lazily supported my head towards my hand in the window. and suddenly i saw my mirror allmost touch hes car and i reasoned that the fenders are probably really close.. i looked to my left and all i could see was a this big door... so i lifted my head up and leaned my arm slightly out and gave a "knock knock.. im still here type of knock on the door. He tapped the horn, stopped, and squeeded himself behind me.

Now in retrospect in heavy traffic its actually ok like he did as there would be a que all the way down to the roundabout and you can`t stand there.

i try not to care when assholes turn in so fast i have to hit the brakes hard.

Funny thing is that this stuff other than in ques only happens when i drive.. like an average person. I have even been overtaken in a cross road going to the left with only one lane to that side.

On occation i try to look out for these situasjons and then i try to put them in place somehow. Because you just don`t overtake in a damn crossroad to save 30 seconds.

I usually never honk. Live and let live i say.
Usually its just entertaining to see non aggressive driver errors. I remember one guy being stressed like crazy standing in the middle of the outer lane in a roundabout.. i had to stop. i just gently greeted him with a wave and thought.. well.. you can`t stand here.. i want to the other side of your car. I think i even smiled.

Usually you can tell early if this is a driver who is a bit of. I remember a woman being odd behaving in the traffic. When we got to the crossroad she wanted to go to the right in a left only lane. (same crossroad as above mentioned) and went on red. stopped and waited for green again. outside the marked area. Best part was the cops not moving a finger on the other side as the other car on the correct lane also had gone on a red. Not sure if they pulled her over. I doubt they even noticed. No point with the woman anyway.

#42 Gold

Gold

• 197 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 00:15

There is also a type of driver who when faced with morons who don't give way out of spite (when traffic rules dictate they must) will, in split seconds weigh up the situation, safety and insurance legality of the situation, and then (albeit at a safe speed) bump into the egotrippers car to teach them a lesson.

Edited by Gold, 09 April 2013 - 00:16.

#43 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:42

Well he does at least don`t do what i used to do with my hatchback daily beater..
I remember one day on my way home when i watched the rearview mirror and i saw a big line and a SUV.. a big audi Q7 S-line something going past the entire line. And thought.. your not going through here too. And sure enough he went right up to me and tried to squeeze in front of me... .. he came closer and closer as the field narrowed... Side by side we where... i was in a relaxed state and lazily supported my head towards my hand in the window. and suddenly i saw my mirror allmost touch hes car and i reasoned that the fenders are probably really close.. i looked to my left and all i could see was a this big door... so i lifted my head up and leaned my arm slightly out and gave a "knock knock.. im still here type of knock on the door. He tapped the horn, stopped, and squeeded himself behind me.

Now in retrospect in heavy traffic its actually ok like he did as there would be a que all the way down to the roundabout and you can`t stand there.

i try not to care when assholes turn in so fast i have to hit the brakes hard.

Funny thing is that this stuff other than in ques only happens when i drive.. like an average person. I have even been overtaken in a cross road going to the left with only one lane to that side.

On occation i try to look out for these situasjons and then i try to put them in place somehow. Because you just don`t overtake in a damn crossroad to save 30 seconds.

I usually never honk. Live and let live i say.
Usually its just entertaining to see non aggressive driver errors. I remember one guy being stressed like crazy standing in the middle of the outer lane in a roundabout.. i had to stop. i just gently greeted him with a wave and thought.. well.. you can`t stand here.. i want to the other side of your car. I think i even smiled.

Usually you can tell early if this is a driver who is a bit of. I remember a woman being odd behaving in the traffic. When we got to the crossroad she wanted to go to the right in a left only lane. (same crossroad as above mentioned) and went on red. stopped and waited for green again. outside the marked area. Best part was the cops not moving a finger on the other side as the other car on the correct lane also had gone on a red. Not sure if they pulled her over. I doubt they even noticed. No point with the woman anyway.

It seems than, that a model driver doesn't really exists, since it would be an individual who merely fits into out own vision of excellence, and since we are all different, invariably we all do differ in that regard how we perceive a fellow man. We can only hope that there is enough of mutually inclusive interest, which allows us to commute without breaking anything in process.

#44 indigoid

indigoid

• 384 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:24

Yeah they have pretty good situational awareness. And they're about the only people to appreciate/acknowledge when you've made a move to make their life easier.

Yeah that was my experience as well. I used to do two ~300km interstate commutes every week on the bike, all year 'round, and I always did the ride late at night, leaving at 2100 and arriving at around midnight. That late at night there was pretty much only long-haulers on the highway and I found them uniformly polite and aware. Far safer.

I think taking up motorcycling has made me a much more aware car driver. I found that in the mandatory motorcycle rider training here in AU they teach a lot more about roadcraft, stuff that generally doesn't even get mentioned in passing when acquiring a car license.

What does piss me right off is the "everything is always car drivers' fault" attitude many motorcyclists display. Simply not true.

#45 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:31

What does piss me right off is the "everything is always car drivers' fault" attitude many motorcyclists display. Simply not true.

Lets look at angry and bad driving.

Russians.. they drive like crazy people.

Love the MB Wagen thingy doing the overtake on the sleeping renault owner. Taking the hit. deservedly.

Last one is a interesting one. Full panic locks up and slides into it. Rather than just calmly go inn behind the other car. ABS would have done the trick there.

Raging from all over the world. some funny ones too.

Bike action
http://www.youtube.c...WQJesvEVe83uNa4

I can`t wait for an automated car... going to be soo good.

Edited by MatsNorway, 12 April 2013 - 14:06.

#46 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:08

I think I've seen more dangerous, aggressive and illegal behaviour from motorcyclists than I have from car drivers. The attitude seems to be (with some) that because they take up less space, are faster and more accelerative that they can do what they like. And I have friends who are bikers, which can be a bit embarrassing when the subject arises...

#47 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:26

Im not very fond of cyclists.. those who have a jogging pace in a uphill next to a empty sidewalk.. no way to get past.. Extra not cool when there is winter and i might not make it to the top without some pace in the car.

I wish i had a megafone in those instances so i could as calmly as a megafone allows explain my concerns.

Edited by MatsNorway, 12 April 2013 - 14:56.

#48 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,388 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:52

As a year-round cyclist, I resemble that remark. It is in fact illegal for me to ride on the sidewalk and 100% legal for me to ride in the lane - whether you can pass me or not. Suck it up and learn a modicum of patience - and try not to run me over in your hurry to beat me to the lights.

#49 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 18:24

This is norway whe have many silly rules but that is thankfully not one of them.

"Cycling on footpaths, sidewalks or pedestrian crossing is allowed when walking is small and cycling does not endanger or obstruct pedestrians. Cyclists need when passing pedestrians occur at a distance and close to walking pace. "

This is the only time i go irritated on cyclists. Stopping in a steep hill with corners and cars parked on one side is not cool at winter time. Its very not cool to obstruct when there is a easy alternative with no conflicts and law breaking. Your just being selfish. I do own a bike you know i move aside if possible. Surely 3 seconds on the sidewalk until i pass is managable.

Doing so in a downhill could also save your life as it happen to be a few roads covered in ice here at winter time.

Edited by MatsNorway, 12 April 2013 - 18:29.

#50 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,388 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 20:14

This is norway whe have many silly rules but that is thankfully not one of them.

Lucky you. We too have many stupid rules.

This is the only time i go irritated on cyclists. Stopping in a steep hill with corners and cars parked on one side is not cool at winter time. Its very not cool to obstruct when there is a easy alternative with no conflicts and law breaking. Your just being selfish. I do own a bike you know i move aside if possible. Surely 3 seconds on the sidewalk until i pass is managable.

Doing so in a downhill could also save your life as it happen to be a few roads covered in ice here at winter time.

As a citizen of Politeistan, I am well familiar with winter driving (Oslo is slightly south of my home town). I would posit that if you are unable to start and stop on the hill you are travelling safely, that your vehicle is not appropriately equipped for the conditions. How do the parked cars you noted park - or pull out? I ride as far to the outside of the lane as is safe but if the road conditions dictate that my lane position impedes your passing you have my deepest sympathy as you sit in your warm, wind-free car interior. If the hill is so slippery that you can neither navigate it up or down safely in a normal fashion (IE stopping and starting), perhaps none of us should be on it as my two wheels are surely not providing more stability than your 4.