Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

NASCAR style fight.....can it happen in F1...?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:55

a week ago:

last Sunday:

:stoned:

can such volatile situation happen in today's F1?...
i know in 90's Piquet shown some 'chops' in a full blown fight....i remember Schumi hit Sato's helmet,though not a fight.....any other known fights/close to fight situation....?

Advertisement

#2 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:00

I hope so!! :smoking:

#3 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:25

here is Piquet...:smoking:

#4 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:41

I doubt it.
Despite all the official press releases etc, that sort of behaviour is encouraged by the power's that be over there. It's fantastic for the 'show'.

Not the case in F1.

#5 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:03

Not watching Nascar, so a noob question perhaps, but: why do they even come into a contact when racing? Are the cars unstable due to lacking downforce compared to F1?

#6 SB

SB

• 2,437 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:04

a week ago:

last Sunday:

i know in 90's Piquet shown some 'chops' in a full blown fight....i remember Schumi hit Sato's helmet,though not a fight.....any other known fights/close to fight situation....?

This should be the most famous one in last 20 years :p
http://www.gpupdate....thard-spa-1998/

#7 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:07

F1 is businesss, NASCAR is racing.

#8 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:43

nascar is going left and crashing in the last lap, ramming into the back of a jet-dryer and blatant advertising board.

F1 is science+business+racing. the similarity with NAPCAR stops with the word motorsport. it's a world of simulation, aerodynamics, engineering, horsepower, cutting edge technology and driver perfection.

i'm not bashing nascar or anything, it's just for the majority of the marikan's , nascar provides what they want, cheap thrill and simplicity. F1 is more complicated and attracts different kind of audience and sponsors.

#9 f1seb

f1seb

• 1,545 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:01

nascar is going left and crashing in the last lap, ramming into the back of a jet-dryer and blatant advertising board.

F1 is science+business+racing. the similarity with NAPCAR stops with the word motorsport. it's a world of simulation, aerodynamics, engineering, horsepower, cutting edge technology and driver perfection.

i'm not bashing nascar or anything, it's just for the majority of the marikan's , nascar provides what they want, cheap thrill and simplicity. F1 is more complicated and attracts different kind of audience and sponsors.

Sure, you make sure that while you're taking your cheap shots at Nascar you also have a go and take cheap shots at Americans as well. Good on you there buddy, way to fulfill your self importance.

Edited by f1seb, 26 March 2013 - 07:02.

#10 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:26

F1 is businesss, NASCAR is racing a show.

#11 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,206 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:22

F1 is businesss, NASCAR is racing.

:lol:

I don't know which one is the worst. F1 has DRS and crap tires but, at least it doesn't have fake yellow flags to pack everyone again.

#12 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:28

:lol:

I don't know which one is the worst. F1 has DRS and crap tires but, at least it doesn't have fake yellow flags to pack everyone again.

SC Brazil 2012

#13 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:58

We got pretty close to that in Brazil 2009, but Sutil didn't seem to want to fight. Forgot his glasses, maybe.

#14 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:17

why do they even come into a contact when racing? Are the cars unstable due to lacking downforce compared to F1?

It's true you can spin another car out by driving too close to it and causing a loss of downforce...

BUT no that is, generally, not why they crash into each other.

This is why they crash:

It's called "being a dumbarse" or "red mist" ;)

#15 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:18

Sure, you make sure that while you're taking your cheap shots at Nascar you also have a go and take cheap shots at Americans as well. Good on you there buddy, way to fulfill your self importance.

It's why he's told to GTFO out of the NASCAR threads when he crawls in them.

On topic: Greatest of All Time

Posted Image
1979 Daytona 500

I don't see any current F1 drivers going at it, although if it did occur I'd put money on Webber finishing on top. Or MadMaldo. He could rip a head off I'm sure.

#16 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:31

Not exactly the rumble in the jungle but here we have Mika Hakkinen and Eddie Irvine getting it on with towels and juice:

#17 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:48

Would love to see fight between Stefano Domenicali and Cristian Horner. Also will be nice to see Vijay Mallya kicking **** out of Franz Tost.

#18 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:04

Don't forget when Senna punched Eddie Irvine during an altercation in the pits after his Eddie's first race at Suzuka... knocked him off the table he was sitting on apparently.

#19 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:06

Nascar drivers use fists as weapon's.

F1 drivers use cars :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:09

Nascar drivers use fists as weapon's.

F1 drivers use cars :rolleyes:

Have you watched any of the links posted earlier in this thread?

Edited by Obi Offiah, 26 March 2013 - 11:35.

#21 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:15

Not watching Nascar, so a noob question perhaps, but: why do they even come into a contact when racing? Are the cars unstable due to lacking downforce compared to F1?

There was a problem with older cars losing rear downforce when someone drafted very closely. But the new models have fixed that for the most part.

They can make contact without damaging their car too badly. In F1 you break wing or worse.

There are basically no penalties given for wrecking. It's not unusual to get wrecked, and then go back out after repairs and hunt down the guy in revenge.

#22 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,721 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:37

I enjoy NASCAR but if you did a venn diagram with NASCAR viewers and WWE viewers the overlap would be almost complete.

I am not sure fisticuffs is desirable but a bit of public rivalry and anger would make F1 more compelling.

#23 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:39

They started a telenovela for Nascar.

Well for F1 we don't need one, reality is enough. And in Nascar Logano isn't really that interesting.

Edited by Diablobb81, 26 March 2013 - 12:39.

#24 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 13:22

It's why he's told to GTFO out of the NASCAR threads when he crawls in them.

On topic: Greatest of All Time

Posted Image
1979 Daytona 500

I don't see any current F1 drivers going at it, although if it did occur I'd put money on Webber finishing on top. Or MadMaldo. He could rip a head off I'm sure.

:eek: who were they..?

#25 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 13:26

Not Sutil? :p

#26 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 13:32

It's more that the cars can take it. They have doors, fenders, and bumpers. So coming into contact with another car isn't a race ruiner like in F1.

Remember that first lap contact between Alonso and Vettel that ultimately led to Alonso having a badly damaged front wing? Contact of that severity literally happens hundreds of times in each NASCAR race. On the higher speed tracks, it's less common because the risk is higher, but on short tracks, it literally happens probably over a thousand times.

There's a saying in NASCAR, it's a bit redneck, but it goes "Rubbin' is racin'."

#27 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 13:37

Exactly, there's far more bumping in touring car racing purely because they have fenders.

#28 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 13:40

I was thinking that they should do sanctioned F1 fights for charity. They would most likely go for boxing but muay thai would be much more interesting, although Webber would get disqualified for not stopping after Vettel's already been knocked out :p

#29 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 13:41

There may be sanctions against fighting. I know in the junior single seater ranks you can get in a lot of trouble for merely pushing someone. Which is ironic given the very hands-off nature of dealing with bad race manners.

#30 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 13:42

:eek: who were they..?

Cale Yarborough and Bobby Allison.

Here's what Bobby had to say about it later:

I think I questioned his ancestry, which I shouldn't have done, and he came running toward me and stopped out there a few feet and yelled some more and I think I probably questioned his ancestry a little further, and he lunged at me and he hit me in the face with his helmet.

Boy, the blood dripped to my lap and it hurt and it surprised me. It just really confused me. I thought, you know, I've got to get out of this car and address this situation right now, and so I did.

And of course, my version of that is that I got out of the car and then he went to beating on my fists with his nose.

#31 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 13:46

a week ago:

last Sunday:

There's at least one driver who thinks NASCAR fights should be regulated like hockey: let them go at it and when one of them goes to the ground, step in and break it up.

https://www.youtube....qnowdss#t=1m30s

#32 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 13:58

It's more that the cars can take it. They have doors, fenders, and bumpers. So coming into contact with another car isn't a race ruiner like in F1.

Umm no, those tube frame NASCAR stock cars of today have no doors... or anything else that would make them STOCK CARS, just generic spec chassis with slightly different bodywork (/stickers)... Sports cars, and to some extent certain touring car series have way more stock parts. Revolving doors, actual headlights, chassis + engine + driver aids + transmissions + etc that are very reminiscent of the production counterparts, and so on

Sorry for offtopic.

#33 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:30

I think it the right situation we could see it.

Because you have so much more to lose by getting into a fight in F1 nowadays... Your team will abandon you because they don't want to lose sponsorship over their negative image, etc. Besides it might disqualify constructors points... stuff like that.

But if we get into a situation where a driver just plain has nothing to lose, and is at the end of his run; fed up what has been going on, we could bloody well see it.

#34 solochamp07

solochamp07

• 502 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:36

I remember Villeneuve and JPM had a scrap over some practise squabble in Montreal one year. I think JV brake-tested Montoya.

Fitting, I guess, that they are both nascar drivers now...

#35 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:53

OT but does NASCAR have airbrakes on their cars? There were several flaps that came up during those incidents. How are these deployed?

#36 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:59

here is Piquet...:smoking:

Wow.

NOTICE: Due to some "widows" (as Ayrton Senna's fans that disrespect other drivers are know in Brazil) comments, these are not allowed anymore.

I didn't know Senna fans were such extremists. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kingshark, 26 March 2013 - 15:00.

#37 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 15:00

They're operated by the car being sideways/backwards. Going in the normal direction the airflow keeps them pushed down but beyond a certain angle of spin the backflow pops them into operation. It's mainly to keep them from getting off the ground too much as the airflow goes under the car at weird angles.

#38 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 15:02

Cheers Ross.

#39 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 15:53

Fitting, I guess, that they are both nascar drivers now...

JV is more an ice-racer thinking about numbers of races in different classes each year! :p

Advertisement

#40 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 16:02

It's true you can spin another car out by driving too close to it and causing a loss of downforce...

BUT no that is, generally, not why they crash into each other.

This is why they crash:

It's called "being a dumbarse" or "red mist" ;)

Better to post the whole "story", or at least a bigger part :)

#41 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 19:53

Not really a driver vs driver, or even a fight, but Montoya was quite close to throw a punch near Bernie.

#42 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 20:37

the irony is nascar has plenty of simulation, aero work does happen but you cant really see it. engines still matter!, and there is some cutting edge tech in places. and driver perfection is probably more relivent :). and cup cars have 850-900hp now, so more than f1 ;)

#43 loki

loki

• 12,289 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:08

the irony is nascar has plenty of simulation, aero work does happen but you cant really see it. engines still matter!, and there is some cutting edge tech in places. and driver perfection is probably more relivent :). and cup cars have 850-900hp now, so more than f1 ;)

Yep, you beat me to it. ;) What the person that posted what you quoted doesn't (or refuses) to realize is that many of the same technologies, even vendors are involved in NASCAR that are involved in F1.

I don't see any fights coming from modern F1. I think it's a cultural difference between road racing and circle track. Over here even in the hobby racing levels fights at club road races are pretty rare and fights at local circle track are more common. I think it's the demographics and culture/history of each style of racing more than anything else.

#44 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:19

Umm no, those tube frame NASCAR stock cars of today have no doors... or anything else that would make them STOCK CARS, just generic spec chassis with slightly different bodywork (/stickers)... Sports cars, and to some extent certain touring car series have way more stock parts. Revolving doors, actual headlights, chassis + engine + driver aids + transmissions + etc that are very reminiscent of the production counterparts, and so on

Sorry for offtopic.

We call that part of the car "doors" even though they don't open.

#45 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 15:26

you do tend to be closer to guys in oval racing too, so more chance for annoyance, and the form varies across the race more than normal circuit racing

#46 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 16:47

I doubt it.
Despite all the official press releases etc, that sort of behaviour is encouraged by the power's that be over there. It's fantastic for the 'show'.

Not the case in F1.

Yep. I like Nascar but sometimes it's not much more than WWEcar. Not that it is really fake but they pretty much get encouraged. Same with on-track paybacks, wich are even more ********.

F1 drivers fight in the press like the intellectuals they are ;)

#47 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 20:20

Yep. I like Nascar but sometimes it's not much more than WWEcar. Not that it is really fake but they pretty much get encouraged. Same with on-track paybacks, wich are even more ********.

F1 drivers fight in the press like the intellectuals they are ;)

I think culture also plays a role. When I see the ads for places like Bristol or Taladega I see lots of twisted metal/carbon/whatever-they-use-nowdays, hence you get the feel it's more about wreckfesting. The WTCC ad for Sonoma last year also had a lot of references to "bumper racing" and the like. Even the Speed sign-off from Formula 1 had a lot of crashing.

Which is ironic, because there is a lot of pitstop strategy in the Cup races (yes, you have to learn how to endure those long races and the whole bunch of distractions they throw). For example, the guy who gets the pole has a huge advantage because technically, he only has to "get in" his pit box.

Edited by Red17, 27 March 2013 - 20:21.

#48 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,226 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 23:00

I think culture also plays a role. When I see the ads for places like Bristol or Taladega I see lots of twisted metal/carbon/whatever-they-use-nowdays, hence you get the feel it's more about wreckfesting.

My new favourite word. :rotfl:

#49 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:57

Senna also slapped Schumacher.

#50 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:04

the bbc f1 intro has lots of wrecking in it too...