Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Team Orders: What would happen if they couldn't use radios?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 00:29

..except for emergencies, qualifying?

The drivers would be on their own, save the pit board, there for all to see.

* It would be up to the driver to judge his car's health - tires, fuel.
* "Strategy" - the driver wouldn't know his team mate's situation, racing would have to occur (imagine that..)
* The car would have to be more robust; it wouldn't be a matter of running it until the engineers said turn it back, same for fuel consumption.

Some people keep saying "maintaining tires is part of racing" - it *might* be, if it were up to the driver to make the call. Same for *managing the car*! Not to mention, strategy. Pit crews would have to always be on alert - no snoozing until the planned stop window opens up. Drivers who would otherwise burn up their tires, or the car, would have to figure out how not to do that, or suffer.

I know, "it will never happen". "Hah, silly!".

A few years ago, there was a minor ruckus caused by a local (American) high school football team for using radios, which of course yields an advantage. It was considered *cheating*, because it's not inherently part of the sport. I don't see radio communication as being inherently part of auto sport, but YMMV - I don't see tires that don't allow the driver to push and rules that encourage short fueling the cars as "inherent" to the sport, either.

The FIA could at least open radio communications to the public (ala Nascar). Then, if you have a driver that has temper tantrums everyone hears it; because to me, the *radio* part of the Malaysia race brought the sport into disrepute. No radio - what happens?

Edited by Mandzipop, 30 March 2013 - 12:33.
: a "champion" driver behaving like a spaz to his boss

Advertisement

#2 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 00:49

How would the team know when the driver is going to pit and what tires to put on without radios? Also I believe the current ECU's don't show the driver how much fuel he has, so they'd be in complete darkness w.r.t. fuel loads and consumption.

Other than these obvious technical difficulties, I don't think much will change overall. Teams will adapt like always. We've had 2 pronounced situations this past race which has gotten everyone up in arms about radios but there are much bigger problems with F1.

#3 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 00:49

As soon as radios started creeping into bike racing, they were banned and I'm glad. In F1 the races are stage managed from the pits. I'd rather that the radios were done away with altogether. Let the drivers use their own instincts.

#4 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 00:51

We've had 2 pronounced situations this past race which has gotten everyone up in arms about radios but there are much bigger problems with F1.

It doesn't mean that this issue shouldn't be tackled. Radios are an easy problem to fix. They can vanish overnight.

#5 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:05

If they couldn't use radios they'd just go back to pit boards.

#6 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:05

It doesn't mean that this issue shouldn't be tackled. Radios are an easy problem to fix. They can vanish overnight.

It's not as easy as you say, plus it can cause a safety problem.

#7 racerbaz

racerbaz

• 78 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:20

It's not as easy as you say, plus it can cause a safety problem.

I think there is now very little of a safety problem - they have warning lights in the cockpit and trackside, flag marshals, fast reponse vehicles, helicopters, armour-plated cars etc. etc.
They could drop radios tomorrow but there is no will to do it - everyone in the F1 teams seems to be into control-freakery without the ability to let go of any of it.
It is now a self-propelling/sustaining industry for promoting world-wide car sales and the sport and spectator is irrelevant to the teams or Bernie - witness the often empty grandstands and completetly irrelevant fan FIA or FOTA surveys.
Therefore because it gives the teams more control over what happens they are unlikely to ban radios.
The fan is mainly interested in the driver competition and the sporting contest and generally has only a passing interest in the technology and the manufacturers championship.
If the manufacturers championship disappeared I wouldn't miss it and it would help to reduce the impact of the cancer that team orders is increasingly doing to the racing.
Pit boards have always created a 'lag' in driver reaction to the information given and without radios drivers would have to think on their feet and innevitably make more mistakes. This in itself would create far more spectator interest and incident. Who the hell cares about strategy and banks of technicians and boffins crunching data ? Let's see a real man-to-man sporting contest generally like we see in most other sporting events. What we are now getting in F1 is an artificially-created sham of a great sport. :clap:

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,540 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:52

Without radios they'd just use pitboards, hand signals from the drivers and spotters before pit entry if needed. Nothing would change.

#9 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,564 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:58

Team orders would be done before the races, but maybe orders would be ignored more.

#10 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:04

I really like this idea, as I do any idea that puts more responsibility on the driver. The drivers with extra mental capacity would benefit, of course, but that's a good thing in my book. Drives should be thinking and strategizing while they drive rather than being limited to just doing what they're told all the time (or most of the time) like a trained seal.

I have the same problem with radios in American football - the quarterback doesn't call plays like he did when I was a kid. Some guy in a skybox is calling them and the QB is reduced from being a strategist to just another robot that's being programmed. Montana and Elway and Marino called plays, and I have no doubt that Brady and Manning could do the same - in fact, they would become even more valuable than they are now.

#11 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 15:16

I don´t think it would work. A driver should be able to get a good picture of the field at any time (i.e: you´re in P whatever, the guy in front has to stop one more time, the guy behind is trying to one stop and you need to pull away, etc). Then there´s the safety concern for lapped cars (not knowing how big is the group about to lap you) and generally yielding situations (traffic exiting pitlane, managing qualifying in and outlaps pace, ect).

No radios wouldn´t work too well. In the end the best thing is drivers getting all the info but making the calls themselves. That´s what we have now.

#12 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 15:32

I don´t think it would work. A driver should be able to get a good picture of the field at any time (i.e: you´re in P whatever, the guy in front has to stop one more time, the guy behind is trying to one stop and you need to pull away, etc). Then there´s the safety concern for lapped cars (not knowing how big is the group about to lap you) and generally yielding situations (traffic exiting pitlane, managing qualifying in and outlaps pace, ect).

We have pit boards and blue flags for that.

#13 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 15:38

We have pit boards and blue flags for that.

I don´t think you can get a good enough understanding of what´s happening in the field with a pit board as your only tool. It´s OK for gaps but to tell you someone´s strategy and how much you need to pull away to beat him when all stops are done...

Blue flags are not enough in some cases, like exiting pitlane in a quali session: they only tell you "there´s someone comming", they don´t tell you if you have to slow down a bit to allow only the first car appearing through, or if you have to trundle around waiting for 3 cars covered in 6 seconds to go through. Also not knowing how many cars are in the group about to lap you in a race makes your life much much harder.

I can´t see the problem with radios. As long as drivers get to make the calls (and they do, there´s no 2 way telemetry) it´s OK for me.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 30 March 2013 - 15:39.

#14 ixnay

ixnay

• 198 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 16:15

Get rid of the blue flags as well. If you're faster you'll pass them.

#15 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,805 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 16:19

Would be fun to see: "seb.. come on this is silly!" on the pit boards.

#16 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 16:26

Get rid of the blue flags as well. If you're faster you'll pass them.

We've discussed that to death in other threads.

Edited by scheivlak, 30 March 2013 - 17:05.

#17 four1

four1

• 507 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 16:52

They would just call it a "prearranged gentlemens' agreement".

Many people want to keep losing sight of the fact that F1 is a team sport. One individual is not more important than the 300, 400, 600 people that make up a team. Not to mention the mega millions that each team has to spend.

Some hints: Vettel gives RB a better chance of winning the WDC - Hamilton gives Mercedes a better chance of winning the WDC - Raikonnen gives Lotus a better chance at winning the WDC - Alonso gives Ferrari a better chance of winning the WDC. Is the picture starting to become clearer?

#18 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 17:18

* "Strategy" - the driver wouldn't know his team mate's situation, racing would have to occur (imagine that..)
* The car would have to be more robust; it wouldn't be a matter of running it until the engineers said turn it back, same for fuel consumption.

Just for these two it would be so worth it. I mean, of course it can't be perfect (talking mainly about how TO ban could be easier to police without radio comm.), but it can be better and that should be enough. But F1 is not precisely known for doing what's best for its sporting side or whatever's left of it...

#19 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 20:02

Without radios they'd just use pitboards, hand signals from the drivers and spotters before pit entry if needed. Nothing would change.

Something would change: it would be out in the open. If every race Redbull hung a pit board out that said "ROS WEB MULTI 21" and then they slowed down and held position... soon we would know it. Tires getting too hot? On the board. Same for the engine. They could switch to elaborate codes - but at some point it would be unwieldy, and you'd still have a guy on each team figuring out what the code meant - they'd have to change it every race.

But more importantly, we would have what we had last weekend: hearing a driver be pissy over the radio to his boss, and his team mate.

It's not going to happen, and I'm not suggesting it should - but since it is altering the course of the race, the fans should have access to the radio. IMO.

Advertisement

#20 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 20:05

I don´t think you can get a good enough understanding of what´s happening in the field with a pit board as your only tool.

Well, that's sort of the point, isn't it? The only reason a driver needs to know about the rest of the field is so that *he knows that he can slow down*.

#21 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 20:17

I really like this idea, as I do any idea that puts more responsibility on the driver. The drivers with extra mental capacity would benefit, of course, but that's a good thing in my book. Drives should be thinking and strategizing while they drive rather than being limited to just doing what they're told all the time (or most of the time) like a trained seal.

I have the same problem with radios in American football - the quarterback doesn't call plays like he did when I was a kid. Some guy in a skybox is calling them and the QB is reduced from being a strategist to just another robot that's being programmed. Montana and Elway and Marino called plays, and I have no doubt that Brady and Manning could do the same - in fact, they would become even more valuable than they are now.

Sorry, but there have been offensive coordinators in football since the 1950s.

#22 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,208 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 23:14

With so many inputs on the steering wheel, it should be easy to create a pit lane order to transmit to the teams at the push of a button.

#23 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 23:43

"I reckon I could go faster if had 2 turns less front wing on. If only I could tell the pits to change the wing when I get there. Oh well, time to press the pit-in button and see what happens."

#24 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 23:48

Don't they carry cheat sheets on their arms.
Don't they have half hour meetings before each play? Sorry, half minute.
Aren't they within shouting distance of the coach much of the time?
Can they not use hand signals?

#25 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:10

It's not going to happen, and I'm not suggesting it should - but since it is altering the course of the race, the fans should have access to the radio. IMO.

Two points:
1. If you're a STR or Lotus team fan, you still do have access to the radios if you bring a scanner to the track.

2. In all the previous years when teams did not have digitally encrypted radios, fans didnt bring radios to the track, and websites that had streaming radio comms live were poorly visited, indicating that F1 fans dont give a flying *&^%* about listening on the radios anyway.

#26 racerbaz

racerbaz

• 78 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:13

They would just call it a "prearranged gentlemens' agreement".

Many people want to keep losing sight of the fact that F1 is a team sport. One individual is not more important than the 300, 400, 600 people that make up a team. Not to mention the mega millions that each team has to spend.

Some hints: Vettel gives RB a better chance of winning the WDC - Hamilton gives Mercedes a better chance of winning the WDC - Raikonnen gives Lotus a better chance at winning the WDC - Alonso gives Ferrari a better chance of winning the WDC. Is the picture starting to become clearer?

Wow thanks very much for your helpful hints,deep insight and genius for 'stating the bleeding obvious'.
Surely the driver is by far and away the most important member of the team and is the only team-member who anyone would ever pay to see performing - is anyone at all interested in the other team members ? Of course we also have rows of engineers sitting at computers in the factory monitoring telemetry for a race taking place on another continent - they then tell engineers at the race which engine-settings to adjust - but is this really anything to do with what wheel-to-wheel, man-to-man racing is about ?
The fact that F1 is now so over-funded,over-complicated and over-regulated a team sport is patently a major part of the problem - one car teams might be a way of reducing this problem and the banning of radios and allowing drivers make their own mistakes would help the racing. Give the sport back to the drivers and the fans ? - fat chance of that don't you think ?

#27 Number62

Number62

• 522 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:17

Most of the objections to the ban, when you take them to the logical conclusion, say " how fast do I know how to go" in the absence of more and more information.

Is "how fast should I drive" a consideration we want f1 drivers to be contemplating?

So if you take away the infinitely adjustable strategy based on changing circumstances I.e. real time feedback. The logical conclusion of that is you drive as fast as possible for as long as possible.

The decision making passes back to the driver from the race engineer.

#28 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,294 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:08

Most of the objections to the ban, when you take them to the logical conclusion, say " how fast do I know how to go" in the absence of more and more information.

Is "how fast should I drive" a consideration we want f1 drivers to be contemplating?

So if you take away the infinitely adjustable strategy based on changing circumstances I.e. real time feedback. The logical conclusion of that is you drive as fast as possible for as long as possible.

The decision making passes back to the driver from the race engineer.

F1 we have now requires this 'am i going too fast?'
It's stupid but the tyres do this

#29 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:57

Well, that's sort of the point, isn't it? The only reason a driver needs to know about the rest of the field is so that *he knows that he can slow down*.

No, exactly the opposite can happen too. "The driver behind is going to make one less stop, you really need to open a gap quicker than you´re doing, you might think you´re in front but he´s beating you".

This is a debate always going on for cycling too, radios or not. I know there are not too many common points, but I always found ridiculous when you have to drop to your car to know for sure who´s in the getaway of the day, to then come back and tell your teammates what to do. It´s the same story here, not having access to all the info about the field status and racing in the dark is stupid.

I don´t like the changes in the racing itself, and I don´t like the loss on safety too. Not getting to hear when there´s a couple of really dangerous corners in front, or finding out you´re on the zone to get food and drink just when you´ve arrived is not exactly ideal for safety, it causes a huge mess. In F1 knowing about yellows and oil before you even see them, and losing the help to know you´re about to be lapped by 4 cars within one second off each other, and not a single car, is not smart either.

I know I´ll probably be alone in this but I don´t mind about radios as long as the driver gets to decide, as to be fair all teams can do from pits is give info and give advices. Driver is in full control of the car so it´s OK for me as long as you can pull a Vettel without anything stopping you if you want to.

#30 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,870 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:00

I am all for this idea, and regarding the safety: you can keep the radio-contact between race-controll and the drivers and between the teams and race-controll. So regarding safety-cars, yellow flags, accidents, rainshowers, etc, race-controll could warn all the drivers at the same time. Teams could warn race-controll when something goes wrong with the car that is either dangerous to the driver or the machinery... and for the pitstops you could offer the teams the red-button: only to be used in cases of danger, for example (as with Button last Grand Prix) when a wheel has not properly been fastened...

#31 racerbaz

racerbaz

• 78 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 13:10

I am all for this idea, and regarding the safety: you can keep the radio-contact between race-controll and the drivers and between the teams and race-controll. So regarding safety-cars, yellow flags, accidents, rainshowers, etc, race-controll could warn all the drivers at the same time. Teams could warn race-controll when something goes wrong with the car that is either dangerous to the driver or the machinery... and for the pitstops you could offer the teams the red-button: only to be used in cases of danger, for example (as with Button last Grand Prix) when a wheel has not properly been fastened...

SO..........WHO IS GOING TO TELL BERNIE ? .........................

#32 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,870 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 13:43

SO..........WHO IS GOING TO TELL BERNIE ? .........................

If Bernie thinks that the radio-contact interferes with the show, he will act accordingly.

#33 DS27

DS27

• 4,687 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 13:47

BAN THEM :up:

#34 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 15:50

"The driver behind is going to make one less stop, you really need to open a gap quicker than you´re doing, you might think you´re in front but he´s beating you".

No, that's also my point. *The only solution is to drive as fast as possible as long as possible*. Which ultimately is what *I* want to see.

The problem is...

...with the current rules, there is a major logical fallacy from a "fan's entertainment" standpoint.

A fan can follow what is happening at the start of the race, UNTIL... the first "pit stop" happens.

Then, all reason goes out the window. Unless you have a chart in front of you, AND you know what happens(ed) in the pits *with everybody* (what tires were changed, what condition the "new" tires were in, wings changes).......

... you *really* don't know WTF is happening during the race UNTIL everybody does their *last* pit stop. A bunch of different strategies and dynamics intervene, and then in the last 15-20 laps, we're finally back to "reality": all the cars on the track are now "set" and racing in real time.

One can say "oh, but the strategy is interesting!". Yeah, IF... if you've got the chart there and you were aware of what everyone was during during their middle stint. You really don't know what's going on; if Ross Brawn needs a team of people to keep him on top of what his 2 drivers are doing relative to the field - and the same holds for the whole field - *the fan sure doesn't know what's going on*.

The middle stints are boring and misleading - it's a hoop for them to jump through.

To presume the fan is going to follow everything, when the teams themselves hire multiple people to try to follow the race it sort of ridiculous. Whatever happens in the middle stint doesn't matter to you, the viewer, because you don't know what real condition each team is in until the *last* pit stop.

What that means is that *I'm for having radios if we have, either refueling or *only one set of tires (hard+soft) for the whole race**.

Because otherwise, just as each driver needs the radio to keep on top of what is going on - the frakking viewer hasn't a chance to *really* follow WTF is happening in the middle stint. You may think you do, you may be excited seeing cars go around each other, but most of the time you've got to consider "wait... is he on a worn set of softs or new? Is the guy he's gaining on on worn mediums, or new softs? Is he going for a long stint? Does that team have another set of softs?" etc. etc... Nobody is on equal *race footing* until that last pit stop.

So the driver needs help speculating, and managing this middle stint where it's really *slow motion*: everyone plays out their tire strategy.

With the radio, that middle stint is basically in the hands of the engineers. They're managing the pace,

thanks to radio communication.

I'd propose a radio blackout after the first pit stop, until the last pit stop (presuming a 2+ stop race)
. OR - get rid of the middle stint fake tire "wear" and make them do the race on *just 2 sets* of tires, period*. This would put the fans somewhat more on equal footing *with what they are watching*.

Otherwise, thanks to the radio, they may as well go and play cards somewhere, come back and pick up the race IMO, the middle stint is when the engineer's race. While that is interesting on paper, *it sucks to watch*. You can never know what the delta is a driver is working towards in the middle unless you're listening to the radio of all the cars. And even then - do you really want to try to do that?

YMMV.

Edited by Rubens Hakkamacher, 01 April 2013 - 15:51.

#35 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 16:17

..except for emergencies, qualifying?

The drivers would be on their own, save the pit board, there for all to see.

* It would be up to the driver to judge his car's health - tires, fuel.

Some people keep saying "maintaining tires is part of racing" - it *might* be, if it were up to the driver to make the call. Same for *managing the car*! Not to mention, strategy. Pit crews would have to always be on alert - no snoozing until the planned stop window opens up. Drivers who would otherwise burn up their tires, or the car, would have to figure out how not to do that, or suffer.

I know, "it will never happen". "Hah, silly!".

A few years ago, there was a minor ruckus caused by a local (American) high school football team for using radios, which of course yields an advantage. It was considered *cheating*, because it's not inherently part of the sport. I don't see radio communication as being inherently part of auto sport, but YMMV - I don't see tires that don't allow the driver to push and rules that encourage short fueling the cars as "inherent" to the sport, either.

The FIA could at least open radio communications to the public (ala Nascar). Then, if you have a driver that has temper tantrums everyone hears it; because to me, the *radio* part of the Malaysia race brought the sport into disrepute. No radio - what happens?

I like the idea. If I can race F1 2012 on my xbox without communications to a pit crew, then why cant they irl? :smoking:

I think, though, with the current technology on the cars its almost impossible to not have communications. Look at Webbers start at Melbourne, caused because he couldnt program his clutch due to lack of telemetry to the pitch, so they couldnt tell him what to do. The management of the engine, etc. If they find a way to have all that able to be managed by the driver, then yes please!

#36 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 19:13

Radios don't bother me really, but to solve the problems with racing you need to remove all the adjustability that the drivers can perform, brake balance only, no changing fuel mix or anything else, if you need to preserve engine or fuel make the driver adapt to the car...

#37 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 22:36

It would not change so much in terms of startegy, they could easily have people around the track signalling whatever, but it would be difficult to control all the tiny details as they do now. There would be no "try to brake a bit earlier on T5" and "you are slow in T7 and T8". Radio controlled strategy is one thing, radio controlled drivers is another.

#38 racerbaz

racerbaz

• 78 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:10

A fan can follow what is happening at the start of the race, UNTIL... the first "pit stop" happens.
Then, all reason goes out the window. Unless you have a chart in front of you, AND you know what happens(ed) in the pits *with everybody* (what tires were changed, what condition the "new" tires were in, wings changes).......
... you *really* don't know WTF is happening during the race UNTIL everybody does their *last* pit stop. A bunch of different strategies and dynamics intervene, and then in the last 15-20 laps, we're finally back to "reality": all the cars on the track are now "set" and racing in real time.

Great summing-up.
And this is where we are with F1 - computer-games for the engineers and economy runs for the drivers ( who do it all on instructions from the engineers !)
If you want pure racing get out to your local kart track ! :cool:

#39 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:50

If you want pure racing get out to your local kart track ! :cool:

Yes. I think that we must learn to accept and appreciate that F1 is multi faceted sport and only a little part of it is performed at the race track. They televise only the tip of the ice berg. The political battles are probably more intense and brutal than any Alonso/Hamilton wheel to wheel battle can ever be. Unfortunately, there is no stewarding in that area and if you come out ahead, you win. Regardless of how you did it.

Advertisement

#40 docronzo

docronzo

• 237 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 13:15

Ban team radio :up:

It would be the same for everyone. So it wouldn't be any disadvantage for a certain team. It would reduce costs, too. Why don't we give it a try? :clap:

I never tought, they would introduce the boost button and no we have the DRS. :stoned:

#41 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:02

Well then should we suggest to get rid of telemetry all together and put all feed back in the hands of driver and his skill?

#42 readonly

readonly

• 299 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:16

Please don't add yet another ban. The right direction for F1 is to FREE regulations. Banning only adds ways of cheatting simply because we, the public, can't check if competitors are complying with the banning of certain things. In general, if something can't be easily checked from the distance then it should be allowed. Of course you may find some exceptions for this principle but it should be followed as much as it can be done.

#43 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:20

Please don't add yet another ban. The right direction for F1 is to FREE regulations. Banning only adds ways of cheatting simply because we, the public, can't check if competitors are complying with the banning of certain things. In general, if something can't be easily checked from the distance then it should be allowed. Of course you may find some exceptions for this principle but it should be followed as much as it can be done.

Radio scanner. Simples.

#44 readonly

readonly

• 299 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:36

Radio scanner. Simples.

Can these detect encrypted digital signals ? How much they cost ?

#45 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:40

Can these detect encrypted digital signals ? How much they cost ?

Doesn't matter. Even if all you could pick up was a carrier you could easily triangulate it.

#46 Number62

Number62

• 522 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:31

The insidious thing about radio is that eventually negates the need for the best drivers.

If the factory can compute the fastest way to complete the race given the fracturable nature of the tyres and the optimum weight of the fuel, eventually F1 doesn't need the fastest drivers, it only needs drivers that can drive reliably at the prescribed speed.

If you ban radio you cannot control the F1 driver continuously and infinitely. You can only control him once every 90 seconds and by prescribed increments (i.e. how much can you put on a pit board?).

Once you lose the tactical control, the rest falls into place:

You MUST put enough fuel in to allow for the exuberant right foot
You CANNOT lose nerve after the last pitstops and stand down your racers
you CANNOT react to a rival pitstop 15 seconds up the road
You MUST demand tyres which allow for a much broader range of contingencies

etc, etc.

Here's some things you can't put on a pit board:

Fernando is faster than you
Stop the car please, stop the car immediately
This is silly Seb
If X stops you stop too, if he stays out you stay out
Box Box Box. Box Box Box
Slight possibility of light rain in 10 minutes.
This is undriveable, we need to stop the race now
He's too slow, get him out of the way
All the time you must leave the space
Be careful, we need this position

etc. etc.

#47 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:15

We could, but the driver is only one in a team of many and no team want to put everything in the hands of one person.

Well then should we suggest to get rid of telemetry all together and put all feed back in the hands of driver and his skill?

#48 sennafan

sennafan

• 81 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 16:42

The insidious thing about radio is that eventually negates the need for the best drivers.

If the factory can compute the fastest way to complete the race given the fracturable nature of the tyres and the optimum weight of the fuel, eventually F1 doesn't need the fastest drivers, it only needs drivers that can drive reliably at the prescribed speed.

If you ban radio you cannot control the F1 driver continuously and infinitely. You can only control him once every 90 seconds and by prescribed increments (i.e. how much can you put on a pit board?).

Once you lose the tactical control, the rest falls into place:

You MUST put enough fuel in to allow for the exuberant right foot
You CANNOT lose nerve after the last pitstops and stand down your racers
you CANNOT react to a rival pitstop 15 seconds up the road
You MUST demand tyres which allow for a much broader range of contingencies

etc, etc.

Here's some things you can't put on a pit board:

Fernando is faster than you
Stop the car please, stop the car immediately
This is silly Seb
If X stops you stop too, if he stays out you stay out
Box Box Box. Box Box Box
Slight possibility of light rain in 10 minutes.
This is undriveable, we need to stop the race now
He's too slow, get him out of the way
All the time you must leave the space
Be careful, we need this position

etc. etc.

when reutemann was leading Jones they put out the pit board saying Jones Reutemann meaning Reutemann had to let Jones by. so team orders will still exist without radio.

F1 is a team sport if a team has a better strategy there is nothing wrong with that.

#49 Number62

Number62

• 522 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 17:46

when reutemann was leading Jones they put out the pit board saying Jones Reutemann meaning Reutemann had to let Jones by. so team orders will still exist without radio.

F1 is a team sport if a team has a better strategy there is nothing wrong with that.

Yes it won't be perfect but it'll be much much better.

It's got to the point now where the technicians are constantly telling the drivers how fast to drive.

#50 racerbaz

racerbaz

• 78 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:06

It's got to the point now where the technicians are constantly telling the drivers how fast to drive.

I agree - who really cares about strategy and all the faceless geeks-in-the-background ?
I am sure most fans want to see edgy man-to-man racing without interference.
Team Orders = Synchronised Swimming no matter how long we have all been following motor racing.