* - - - - 2 votes

Jenson for WDC?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 13:46

I'm convinced that Jenson will be able to make a strong challenge for WDC this year, in spite of the unpromising start to the season.

The more I think about it, the more last year seems like an anomaly. Jenson has never before struggled when he's had a good car.

I think the team was very much focussed on Lewis last year, trying to give him exactly what he wanted. The main reason would have been because they knew that Lewis was looking elsewhere, and they didn't want to pay him a shedload of money to keep him. So the solution, from their point of view, was to make sure the car worked for him, and to give him the best possible shot at the WDC.

Of course, having the team's full attention doesn't necessarily help when the team is being incompetent, but I think that Jenson, as the leading driver, is much more likely to get them to calm down and just do the job.

Edited by BillBald, 31 March 2013 - 13:47.

Advertisement

#2 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 13:48

No

#3 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,788 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 13:52

Bill, what have you started?

Yes, I do believe that Jenson has a chance to compete for the WDC. I thought his drive in Sepang was excellent. The car was flawed, yet he was able to make the most of it. I think he adapted his style to make that car work for him.

With Lewis gone, Jenson has the team at his feet, they can concentrate on developing the car for him.

#4 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:01

I think the team was very much focussed on Lewis last year, trying to give him exactly what he wanted. The main reason would have been because they knew that Lewis was looking elsewhere, and they didn't want to pay him a shedload of money to keep him.

Did you actually watch last and previous years and all the building up of Button by Whitmarsh? The elation and words coming from him about guiding the team and taking a lead in development?

That was all lies?

#5 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:03

Bill, what have you started?

Yes, I do believe that Jenson has a chance to compete for the WDC. I thought his drive in Sepang was excellent. The car was flawed, yet he was able to make the most of it.

At this moment in time, the car will change depending on track surface, even if they come to grips with it I think the stiff suspension will be a season long issue. McLaren after 2008 seemed to have gone up a dead end in regards to that area, it makes it difficult to setup and have a narrow operating window.

#6 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:03

Button can end up in a dog house after race, but if no one will rate him, Autosport will (as seen in their ratings thus far). So, WDC is possible.

#7 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,713 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:04

Did you actually watch last and previous years and all the building up of Button by Whitmarsh? The elation and words coming from him about guiding the team and taking a lead in development?

That was all lies?

Don't listen to the voices.

#8 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:12

He has a chance but only if McLaren can turn the car around ASAP.

I think it also depends who wins the next few races, if Vettel for example won China and Bahrain JB has no chance.

#9 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:13

Don't understand threads like this, yes he could win it, will he? Come back to me in November. ;)

Edited by olliek88, 31 March 2013 - 14:13.

#10 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:16

I betted Jenson to get the WDC last year.... I was wrong.... this year I wanted to bet the same... but in the last second I decided for Rosberg & Mercedes for WDC & WCC... even tho it might not happen if it does, I am the only one who gets points :D

#11 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:18

Minutes away:

Lewis for WDC?

Kimi for WDC?

And we'll have returned to Driver Threads. :rolleyes:

#12 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:23

No

No. No way. Ever.

/thread

#13 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:24

He was my pick for the 2013 WDC before the season started. It's less likely now but still possible, and it really comes down to results being unpredictable until McLaren are back at the front. It's unlikely they will be consistently faster than Red Bull for a large chunk of the season so Button can't afford to fall too much further behind Vettel than he has already.

Needless to say I disagree with some of the claims made by the OP, namely: "I think the team was very much focussed on Lewis last year, trying to give him exactly what he wanted." Either way, I think the OP should have avoided confusing two very different issues in one thread.

#14 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:25

We have also taken the decision to ban the general driver threads. They have evolved beyond their original remit to track items of interest only to that driver and have been used to variously discuss areas outside of motorsport, on track incidents involving that driver, teammate battles and for many other discussions well outside of the topic. Threads can still be started to discuss issues affecting a single driver, but this must be with a specific remit or point of discussion, such as the possibility of them racing in a particular series or team.