Photo

Marshal killed at Sebring ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 16:48

Today I watched Michael Keyser's movie "The Speed Merchants" (the story of the 1972 World Sportscar Championship, GREAT FILM).
During a marshals briefing before the 12 Hours of Sebring, there was the race director who said: "Be careful, men... two years ago we have lost a marshal in an accident during the race here at Sebring..."

:confused:

I do not know anything about this fatality. Don't remember fatal accidents at Sebring 1970.

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 01 April 2013 - 16:49.

Advertisement

#2 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 23:45

Info here might help.

Today I watched Michael Keyser's movie "The Speed Merchants" (the story of the 1972 World Sportscar Championship, GREAT FILM).
During a marshals briefing before the 12 Hours of Sebring, there was the race director who said: "Be careful, men... two years ago we have lost a marshal in an accident during the race here at Sebring..."

:confused:

I do not know anything about this fatality. Don't remember fatal accidents at Sebring 1970.

#3 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 13:30

Info here might help.

That refers to the 1966 race, while Nanni is inquiring about 1970. But, having said that, I find nothing for 1970. I checked the web site Motorsport Memorial, and it lists no fatality for Sebring in 1970. Further, I checked Ken Breslauer's excellent official history of Sebring book and he makes no mention either.

Could it be that the race director in the film either got his dates wrong or simply exaggerated for effect?

#4 Gerr

Gerr

• 696 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:37

In the 1970 Sebring, Don Lyle, a corner worker, was hit by Parson's Ferrari and sustained serious leg injuries.

#5 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:10

That refers to the 1966 race, while Nanni is inquiring about 1970. But, having said that, I find nothing for 1970. I checked the web site Motorsport Memorial, and it lists no fatality for Sebring in 1970. Further, I checked Ken Breslauer's excellent official history of Sebring book and he makes no mention either.

Could it be that the race director in the film either got his dates wrong or simply exaggerated for effect?

Nanni is checking for Motorsport Memorial. He's one of the chief researchers for Motorsport Memorial.

I was wondering about exaggerating for effect and apparently that was the case.

The piece from SI neglects to mention the "spectators" in the 1966 incident were standing in an unauthorized area. In other words, they were spectating in a non-spectator area.

#6 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:34

Nanni is checking for Motorsport Memorial. He's one of the chief researchers for Motorsport Memorial.

I was wondering about exaggerating for effect and apparently that was the case.

The piece from SI neglects to mention the "spectators" in the 1966 incident were standing in an unauthorized area. In other words, they were spectating in a non-spectator area.

Yes it does mention it as it says:

Mr. Edenfield, his two boys and Mrs. Heacock were in possession of marshal's passes given them by Mrs. Heacock's husband (an owner of property at the racecourse). They died in an area where the viewing was splendid but which was closed to ordinary spectators as being dangerous.

However, Motor Sport Memorial does not say so. Nanni, Perhaps it should

Edited by D-Type, 02 April 2013 - 20:25.

#7 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:55

In the 1970 Sebring, Don Lyle, a corner worker, was hit by Parson's Ferrari and sustained serious leg injuries.

Hence they "lost a marshall" from being able to continue his duties rather than permanently ?

#8 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 14:43

I did not know that, thanks for the info.

#9 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 16:23

Yes it does mention it as it says:
but which was closed to ordinary spectators as being dangerous.
However, Motor Sport Memorial does not say so. Nanni, Perhaps it should

Thanks D-Type. That's what I get for simply scanning the article and replying before heading out the door :blush: I simply wanted to emphasize that fact to Nanni. I'm so used to items from U.S. non-racing publications to skip over pertinent information or get it wrong.

Still, they sort of soft-peddled it instead of emphasizing it. I recall an Autoweek editorial complaining that some newspapers neglected to mention that fact and then went off on an anti-racing screed. Under those circumstances, the Sports Illustrated piece at least gave mention.

That's a sad fact about spectator deaths. So many simply came from people being where they shouldn't have (i.e. off limit areas).

#10 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 17:26

Generally, prohibited areas have been so declared for good reason. The Dutch teenager killed by Dan Gurney's crashing BRM at Zandvoort in 1960 should not have been there. Wasn't the same also true of the unfortunate Japanese onlookers struck by Gilles Villeneuve's crashing Ferrari at Mt Fuji? Then weren't there those struck by either the Baghetti Ferrari or Peter Bolton's Cobra at Le Mans...and many more...

DCN

#11 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 18:47

If you find early Sebring photos you'll only see chainlink fencing in a few areas around the course. Most areas had "snow fence" which offered near zero protection.