Please, what it is by logo???
1967 Canada GP, Graham Hill and Jack Brabham car
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 21:18

That's a tough one. Don't recognize it. These are the only two cars that seem to have it and they don't have it in all pictures from that event. Don't recognize it as a major corporate sponsor. But I'll keep trying.

Bob Mackenzie

#3 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 22:15

Just watched the movie made of the 1967 Grand Prix and as I feared, there were no close-ups of either car stationary. I also checked on Google images to see if any sponsor decals appeared that might match. No luck!

I believe that in 1967 the only corporate logos allowed were automotive sponsors. That includes tires, oil, fuel, brake pads, spark plugs, shocks, etc. Two possibilities also exist. First that the decals were of companies to which Hill and Brabham were personally contracted. (Clark had Firestone decals in the same location Hill had the mystery decals.) Secondly, that this was a decal exclusive to this event. But if that was the case every car should have worn it. And as a Canadian who grew up in that period it doesn't seem familiar.

Wasn't there anyone out there that weekend in the paddock with a quality camera? (I was on my way to Expo 67 in Montreal that weekend and really didn't have much of an interest in racing yet.)

Manfred, where are you?

Bob Mackenzie

#4 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 23:27

Could it be a scrutineering sticker?

#5 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 00:17

Looks like the writing starts with a B.

Posted Image

Could it be a Bear Alignment logo?

Posted Image

Edited by RStock, 02 April 2013 - 00:21.

#6 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,464 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:37

I did some sign work for Bear Frame & Axle in Denver in the '80s — so certainly recognize the bear logo. Gotta tell you Rstock, you have some kinda eyes and I think you may be right.

The part I'm confused about is I'd thought it was a one-location company and certainly not connected to F1 in the '60s! That said, it seems they made alignment equipment for the general trade as well. Veddy Interesting...

Edited by E1pix, 02 April 2013 - 01:39.

#7 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:23

Well, it's a little easier to see when you crop it out and resize it. Looking at it further I do believe it says Bear and that is their logo bear under the text. I'm not sure exactly what Bear did, I believe they supplied front suspension parts and well as machines for alignment and other front end work on passenger cars.

Bear was a nationwide company. I think they are still around and there was one near where I live at one time. However I don't think they had any shops themselves, or not very many at best. I think they usually had their front suspension service set up in other people's shops, which is the way my local one was. It was called Chupp's Automotive and they did general auto repair, but I certainly remember the big yellow Bear Alignment sign at the shop.

The logo on the photos in question appear to have another name above the Bear logo, so I'm guessing it's a one off sponsorship of some sort from a local automotive repair shop, or perhaps a Canadian chain of shops. Or it could well be a Bear Alignment sponsorship. Might be worth checking out the USGP from that season as well since they were/are a US based company.

#8 TEJ

TEJ

• 85 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:23

I sent a copy of this post to my friend Ed Butt of the Totonto area. Ed was with Bear alighnment for years and was heavily involved with motor sport in both Canada and the US. Here is his reply
"Interesting, since I'm the one who put those decals on the cars and still have a few.
I tried to log in and post a reply but I don't remember my I.D. or password.
I have posted on the forum several times in the past but I haven't posted anything for over a year. I have however logged on from time to time to view some of the posts, particularly around Goodwood Revival time.
I re-registered but I don't know how long it will take to get approved.

In the meantime, If you want to post something to the effect that you have been in touch with the person responsible for placing the stickers and that I will post a reply shortly, that is fine with me.

#9 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,464 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:27

Amazing. :up:

#10 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:47

Yes, interesting!

Posted Image

Looks like the same logo (but alternate colors?) on the Al Pease Eagle as well.

#11 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,660 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:42

Do these Jerry Melton shots help, or have you already seen them?

http://www.cliffreut...andPrix1967.htm

#12 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:11

(Clark had Firestone decals in the same location Hill had the mystery decals.)

Just looking at the photos in the original post - interesting to see Hill's Lotus fitted with Bruce's Goodyear(!) tires. So alien (compared to modern times) that a Firestone supplied (and sticker-ed) team would be allowed anywhere near them. :wave: I'm sure Mr. Oliver's book has the whole story...

#13 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:26

This was discussed in this earlier thread:

1967 Canadian Grand Prix - new Jerry Melton photos

(John Winfield has already posted a link to these Jerry Melton photos)

The story was that Firestone had produced a batch of new tyres for the race, but this was delayed getting to the circuit. Clark and Hill therefore both tried Goodyears and pronounced them better than the available Firestones, but were happy with the new Firestones when they finally arrived in time for for official practice on the Saturday.

#14 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,580 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:49

The story was that Firestone had produced a batch of new tyres for the race, but this was delayed getting to the circuit. Clark and Hill therefore both tried Goodyears and pronounced them better than the available Firestones, but were happy with the new Firestones when they finally arrived in time for for official practice on the Saturday.

Maybe the BEAR stickers were placed to cover the Firestone logos when the cars were fitted with the Goodyear tyres? Just wondering, if they ran with Firestones in the race were the BEAR stickers removed to reveal the Firestone ones underneath?

#15 Elio de Maky

Elio de Maky

• 50 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:14

Many thanks, boys. :up:

Interesting picture
http://petelyons.pho...0006mTYjO30sBY/

#16 EdButt

EdButt

• 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 15:23

Perhaps I can shed some light on this topic and answer some of the questions.
Bear Manufacturing was an equipment manufacturer located in Rock Island Illinois, but is no longer in business.
The company was best known for their wheel alignment and balancing machines but also manufactuted chassis dynamometers, crank shaft balancers, several types of industrial balancers and operated a world renowned training center.

The company was started in 1913. They became the official alignment and balancing service at the Indianapolis Speedway in 1930 and remained as the official and only such service provider at IMS until the company was sold circa 1980.

There was a Canadian office located in Toronto. I joined the company in 1963 as Canadian Service and Training Manager.
I became a member of the race service team at IMS in 1964.

In 1966, the Canadian Company started providing alignment and balancing services for several of the major races at Mosport, including the 1967 F1 event.

Most of the cars entered took advantage of our service during the 1967 F1 weekend, including the three Lotus cars entered.
A Bear decal was placed on both sides of every car serviced. The teams chose the location of the decals.

The reason the Al Pease car has a different decal was because it being a Canadian based car, it was done at our Canadian Training Center a few days prior to the race and I used one of the IMS decals.

I hope this answers some of the questions.

I would be happy to try and answer any others.

Ed Butt

#17 Elio de Maky

Elio de Maky

• 50 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 18:55

:clap: Ed Butt :up: , thanks

Butt wrote : The reason the Al Pease car has a different decal was because it being a Canadian based car, it was done at our Canadian Training Center a few days prior to the race and I used one of the IMS decals.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Indy 500: "OFFICIAL "500" SERVICE"
Canada 1967: "OFFICIAL "500" SERVICE" or " ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? "

#18 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 21:41

You know, I'm not even surprised anymore when someone here has an answer to the most obscure question. But when the guy who actually put a sponsor's stickers on cars from a race nearly 50 years ago replies -- and even remembers why a certain sticker was used, that's fantastic! Sometimes this forum is just amazing.

#19 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,464 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 21:47

You know, I'm not even surprised anymore when someone here has an answer to the most obscure question. But when the guy who actually put a sponsor's stickers on cars from a race nearly 50 years ago replies -- and even remembers why a certain sticker was used, that's fantastic! Sometimes this forum is just amazing.

Second That! :)

Things like this are the best on the web, I love it. :up:

Why our own Tim Murray hasn't done a book is beyond me... he's a walking motor racing database. :kiss:

Advertisement

#20 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 00:31

as above ! am gob smacked by the people, and depth of knowledge on this forum !

group7 in canada

#21 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:04

Why our own Tim Murray hasn't done a book is beyond me...

I've had the privilege of asking him that question too ....

#22 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:45

Why our own Tim Murray hasn't done a book is beyond me... he's a walking motor racing database. :kiss:

I've had the privilege of asking him that question too ....

Gentlemen, thank you, but you are far too kind. I do have a reasonably good memory for race results etc, but this is nothing compared to the amazing in-depth knowledge demonstrated by some of the other members here. This forum is a truly wonderful resource of motor sport knowledge.