Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

Raikkonen ??a candidate?? for Red Bull 2014: Dietrich Mateschitz

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
786 replies to this topic

Poll: Raikkonen ??a candidate?? for Red Bull 2014 (492 member(s) have cast votes)

Kimi + Vettel + RBR 2014??

1. Good combination (320 votes [65.17%])

Percentage of vote: 65.17%

2. Bad combination (111 votes [22.61%])

Percentage of vote: 22.61%

3. Undecided for now (60 votes [12.22%])

Percentage of vote: 12.22%

If offered, should Kimi leave Lotus for RBR in 2014?

1. Yes (268 votes [54.58%])

Percentage of vote: 54.58%

2. No (140 votes [28.51%])

Percentage of vote: 28.51%

3. Undecided for now (83 votes [16.90%])

Percentage of vote: 16.90%

If available, who should RBR pick for 2014?

1. M Webber (72 votes [14.66%])

Percentage of vote: 14.66%

2. JE Vergne (38 votes [7.74%])

Percentage of vote: 7.74%

3. D Ricciardo (64 votes [13.03%])

Percentage of vote: 13.03%

4. K Raikkonen (317 votes [64.56%])

Percentage of vote: 64.56%

Vote

#1 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:42

Kimi Raikkonen is “a candidate” to replace Mark Webber at Red Bull, team owner Dietrich Mateschitz has admitted. Even billionaire Mateschitz, a known strong supporter of 36-year-old Webber, agrees that the Australian could leave at the end of his 2013 contract.

“Whether he retires, only he will choose,” Austrian Mateschitz told Speed Week. “(But) Mark is definitely a candidate for 2014. “He is always welcome with us. So too would be a quick junior like Vergne or Ricciardo from the Toro Rosso team,” he added. “Sorry, I know it’s a diplomatic answer which leaves everything open, but that’s how it is. Everything else is pure speculation.”

Fascinatingly, Mateschitz also mentioned Finn Raikkonen – a close friend of Vettel’s – as also potentially in the running for a 2014 seat. Often mentioning the 2007 world champion in interviews, Mateschitz is an open admirer of Raikkonen’s, having sponsored the 33-year-old’s two year rallying foray in 2010 and 2011.

Contradicting April Fool rumours that Raikkonen has announced his impending retirement, Mateschitz said: “Kimi is cool and fast and always a candidate.”

http://www.f1zone.ne...teschitz/18354/

Edited by BackOnTop, 02 April 2013 - 12:43.

Advertisement

#2 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:54

- Good combination: Räikkönen's apolitical character would cause no problems at RB, he's fast, experienced, fair and friends with Vettel
- Undecided for now: if he can fight for the title with Lotus this year, and if they manage to pay his salary, I think he will stay with them for the rest of his career. I'd prefer Kimi in a competitive Lotus over an RB seat anytime.
- RB's pick: Räikkönen - easy, best available driver on the market. Question is, does Vettel want a proper challenge.

Edited by Jovanotti, 02 April 2013 - 11:57.

#3 icewest07

icewest07

• 220 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:59

- Good combination: Räikkönen's apolitical character would cause no problems at RB, he's fast, experienced, fair and friends with Vettel
- Undecided for now: if he can fight for the title with Lotus this year, and if they manage to pay his salary, I think he will stay with them for the rest of his career. I'd prefer Kimi in a competitive Lotus over an RB seat anytime.
- RB's pick: Räikkönen - easy, best available driver on the market. Question is, does Vettel want a proper challenge.

This I would love to see if their friendship would survive because Vettel is not an easy character to channel when he loses; not to say Kimi will eat him alive but he might... No one knows lol

#4 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:59

Posted Image

ONE WEEK LATER.....

Posted Image

:lol:

Edited by BackOnTop, 02 April 2013 - 12:02.

#5 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:04

If Kimi has the opportunity he surely has to go to Red Bull.

He has plenty of aggression though and a lot of speed so I don't see his friendship with Sebi surviving. He's even more difficult to control than Webbo so any favouritism or a stunt like Sepang or a 'get him out of the way' would mean big, big trouble.

I'd love to see it. Though I'm also loving seeing him at the revived Lotus.

Vettel, I have to point out, would become even less popular...

#6 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:06

They're both quick, consistent, good friends, and WDC winners--it'd give RBR two great drivers, Kimi a competitive car, and all the Vettel doubters a yardstick to compare him against. Sounds like a win-win for everyone.

#7 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,974 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:08

Last time Red Bull put Kimi up against a multiple World Champion he tanked big time......;)

(but I did follow the consensus voting just to make clear)

Edited by jcbc3, 02 April 2013 - 12:08.

#8 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:12

If Kimi has the opportunity he surely has to go to Red Bull.

He has plenty of aggression though and a lot of speed so I don't see his friendship with Sebi surviving. He's even more difficult to control than Webbo so any favouritism or a stunt like Sepang or a 'get him out of the way' would mean big, big trouble.

I'd love to see it. Though I'm also loving seeing him at the revived Lotus.

Vettel, I have to point out, would become even less popular...

It is a given when you keep on winning...

#9 Oho

Oho

• 11,838 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:13

Last time Red Bull put Kimi up against a multiple World Champion he tanked big time......;)

Aah and his name is also Sebastian.....

#10 icewest07

icewest07

• 220 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:14

They're both quick, consistent, good friends, and WDC winners--it'd give RBR two great drivers, Kimi a competitive car, and all the Vettel doubters a yardstick to compare him against. Sounds like a win-win for everyone.

Lol Not really, just like Raikkonen-Massa was never a "win-win" back then...
Kimi's reputation (in the eyes of "doubters" as you call them anyway) suffered much more from it since he was favourite to win the battle coming to Ferrari. And here I would say that Vettel is the favourite of the two to come out on top (even if I will root for Kimi and i trust him to beat the kid) but Finger Boy is a 3xWDC after all... So if he teams up with Iceman, he better beat Kimi... the same goes for Kimi !

Eventually, this would be toxic for both drivers reputation, and their friendship... Unless they are as matched as were Alonso and Hamilton! Otherwise the friendship won't last...

#11 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:19

K a m u i ! :D

#12 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:24

Q: It is known that you and Sebastian Vettel have some kind of friendship. When asked how he sees that friendship, his reply was that he respects your honesty and down-to-earth attitude. How could that change, now that you are really racing wheel-to-wheel for victories for the first time?
KR: Seb is for me an honest guy - and, yes, we get along very well. What happens on the track and life outside the cockpit are two completely different pairs of shoes. We are both professionals who can separate one from the other. I always wonder what people are expecting us to do? That we are running with a knife through the paddock seeking revenge after a race incident, or what?

Q: Your contract runs until the end of the year. Now that things are really working out well for you, are you considering staying?
KR: Let’s wait and see. We’ve only done one race so far, so it’s a bit premature to make any decisions for 2014.

http://www.formula1....13/3/14389.html?

Edited by BackOnTop, 02 April 2013 - 12:24.

#13 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:31

Lotus keen to continue Raikkonen ‘adventure’
Lotus team owner Gerard Lopez admits that he wants to keep Kimi Raikkonen on board beyond the end of 2013.

“We have a very easy relationship with Kimi,” Lopez told Finland's Turun Sanomat newspaper, “At the moment, everything is perfect so, of course, we will discuss how to proceed. I don't think it's so much about negotiations, but how we decide to continue the adventure together.”

Victory in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – ultimately triggered clauses in his contract, as well as providing a useful financial bonus as his 207 points reportedly earned him millions of dollars over and above his retainer. Ironically, Lopez admitted towards the end of last season that the 'unexpected' extra payment had caused a problem for the team, and a minor rift with his driver when it was delayed, but insists that all is well between them now.

“These points are good for both sides – team and driver,” he claimed in Malaysia, “We are living in exciting times. We knew before the first race that we are better than last season, but we didn't know exactly what the others had done over the winter. We talk about tyres [after Australia], but Kimi's performance was brilliant.”

http://www.crash.net...tm_campaign=rss

Edited by BackOnTop, 02 April 2013 - 12:34.

#14 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:33

Kimi on all counts, and him racing for RB with Seb = best pairing on the planet!

#15 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:36

I think if the financial situation for development & 'one' big sponsor is sorted out by Lotus this season.. then Kimi would stay put.

#16 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:45

It is a given when you keep on winning...

I don't think so. Normally drivers with a record like Sebi's are revered by fans. Do you think Kimi would become unpopular if he won a lot?

#17 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:46

At this stage of his career, I think the two things that can most fatally harm Kimi's ambitions to win another title are a lack of continuity and a teammate he can't handle. Sadly, I think that is exactly what would lie in wait for him if he moved to Red Bull.

Honestly, if I was Kimi I'd sit tight at Lotus. Not only does he know the team, the team hold him in high regard etc. but I would not be at all surprised if they built a championship-winning car at some point in the next three years. After all, Enstone have always been a team whose form runs in cycles and right now they appear to be distinctly on the up.

Edited by Spillage, 02 April 2013 - 12:47.

#18 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:50

At this stage of his career, I think the two things that can most fatally harm Kimi's ambitions to win another title are a lack of continuity and a teammate he can't handle. Sadly, I think that is exactly what would lie in wait for him if he moved to Red Bull.

Honestly, if I was Kimi I'd sit tight at Lotus. Not only does he know the team, the team hold him in high regard etc. but I would not be at all surprised if they built a championship-winning car at some point in the next three years. After all, Enstone have always been a team whose form runs in cycles and right now they appear to be distinctly on the up.

I think Kimi prefers to handle a car, and isn't that bothered about relationship building as his focus purely is on getting maximum points for himself and the team... as seen at Lotus in 2012!

He can handle a teammate, but not in ways F1 SOAP OPERA media expects... just look at Montoya, DC & RG! He handled Massa pretty well too, earning Ferrari 2 Constructors Championship & 1 WDC for himself.

If Kimi stays in Lotus, it'll surely be for continuity, as you stated, and not out of fear of another driver. Remember, he chose to partner Schumi at Ferrari not knowing MSC would retire.

Edited by BackOnTop, 02 April 2013 - 12:58.

#19 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:54

Kimi + Seb would be awesome, strongest driver pairing in F1 :up:

Although Lotus is doing pretty well Red Bull have nearly unlimited funds and Newey, so RB would be the obvious choice.

If Kimi is up for it Red Bull should take him on board, fantastic driver, cool guy and friends with Seb.
Would also provide Seb with a challenge that he is perhaps looking for after so many successful RB years.

Only problem I can see is the PR work that Red Bull is asking from their drivers, don't think Kimi is really interested in doing that very often.

JC

Advertisement

#20 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:57

agreed

#21 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 13:05

Only problem I can see is the PR work that Red Bull is asking from their drivers, don't think Kimi is really interested in doing that very often.

Well, RB is maybe the only team that could offer him exciting PR duties: Crashed Ice participance, distillery visits, you name it.

Edited by Jovanotti, 02 April 2013 - 13:08.

#22 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 13:05

Kimi + Seb would be awesome, strongest driver pairing in F1 :up:

JC

I don't think it'll be a problem for Kimi if RBR uses him for PR by allowing him some Rally's, Motocross, X-Games under their banner.

Win Win for both!

Edited by BackOnTop, 02 April 2013 - 13:07.

#23 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 13:10

Well, RB is maybe the only team that could offer him exciting PR duties: Crashed Ice participance, Air Race promo, distillery visits, you name it.

I don't think it'll be a problem for Kimi if RBR uses him for PR by allowing him some Rally's, Motocross, X-Games under their banner.

Win Win for both!

You guys are right, I could see that work
Kimi as the official Vodka Red Bull ambassador too  ;)

JC

#24 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 13:10

Well, RB is maybe the only team that could offer him exciting PR duties: Crashed Ice participance, Air Race promo, distillery visits, you name it.

The strange thing is, Kimi Raikkonen is a perfect match for RedBull as far as PR is concerned considering they'll be getting one of the most adventurous driver on the grid.

RedBull PR thrives on this kind of personalities.

#25 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 13:22

Love the idea.

Get Raikkonen in a Red Bull next season please. I have no doubt now that he could challenge Seb for the world title and, most of all, we as fans want the fastest drivers in the best cars up against each other.

In that respect...Raikkonen is a huge step up from Webber. That he is also friends with Vettel and fits the Red Bull image perfectly are added bonuses.

Get it done. :up:

#26 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 13:26

28. Dave C - Date: April 1st, 2013 @ 3:38 am
James whats your take on rumours about Kimi joining Redbull next season, do you feel its likely? And if it is do you think he would match up well with Vettel?

James Allen Reply: - April 1st, 2013 at 10:58 am
Not surprising after what happened in Sepang. If I were them I would go for Kimi or Hulkenberg

http://www.jamesalle...blems/#comments

Edited by BackOnTop, 02 April 2013 - 13:27.

#27 AnR

AnR

• 1,578 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 13:46

I don't think so. Normally drivers with a record like Sebi's are revered by fans. Do you think Kimi would become unpopular if he won a lot?

How do you judge that he is disliked? How about excercising some german and see if he really is disliked.

#28 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:08

How do you judge that he is disliked? How about excercising some german and see if he really is disliked.

Oh some people like Vettel, sure. And I daresay lots of Germans. But Kimi is far more popular globally, so what's gonna happen if they go head to head? Same thing that happened to Hamilton and Button at McLaren: fans will polarise. And there'll only be one winner out of that.

Well Red Bull only have to look at Lotus or Mercedes to see what having a popular driver means. So far what Red Bull have done is take a popular driver - Webber - and p*ss everyone off with how they treat him, hoping and hoping that fans will take to their high-performing but unattractively arrogant other driver.

So if Dietrich is interested in Kimi does that mean he's learned this simple lesson, or is he going to alienate everyone who likes Kimi now?

#29 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:23

I voted Good Combination, Undecided, and Raikkonen, my choices and preferences as to where Kimi should be are very simple, he should try and be wherever he thinks he'll be happiest, when he's happy we see his best, and hopefully the results should follow.

He would be a great fit for Red Bull, at least image wise, but i'm not so confident he'd actually "fit in" so well with the other aspects, would he consider a sponsors event still a sponsors event even if it meant he was riding a motocross bike ? We dont know, and we dont know what kind of workload they'd expect from him in this regard, though come to think of it, I dont recall Vettel/Webber doing as many sponsors events as say Button/Lewis did for McLaren.

I was somewhat sceptical at how Kimi would be received at Lotus, especially by Boullier, but there seems to be a mutual and very genuine respect between them, each giving the other what they need, that alone has to be worth something, its my opinion that in Kimi's eyes, and Boulliers eyes, the relationship is beneficial to both, Kimi gets all the support he needs, Boullier gets the best results that Kimi can give in any given situation, in short, it seems a team in relative harmony, when Kimi won last year he talked about how it was great for the team, but not only they guys at the track/factory, the owners as well, having had some difficult times, I dont think i've ever heard such a statement from Kimi before, for me it said much about him caring for the team as a whole, and as we've seen recently, its all about the team, win together, lose together, its possible that Lotus do face difficulties, difficulties that Red Bull may never face, but perhaps those difficulties also serve to strengthen bonds, to unite, to make the wins even more special. I think Kimi is very much at home with Lotus, and its great to follow.

#30 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:32

I find it interesting that everyone is taking this at face value, rather than wondering what Mateschitz' agenda could be.

#31 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:36

I voted Good Combination, Undecided, and Raikkonen, my choices and preferences as to where Kimi should be are very simple, he should try and be wherever he thinks he'll be happiest, when he's happy we see his best, and hopefully the results should follow.

He would be a great fit for Red Bull, at least image wise, but i'm not so confident he'd actually "fit in" so well with the other aspects, would he consider a sponsors event still a sponsors event even if it meant he was riding a motocross bike ? We dont know, and we dont know what kind of workload they'd expect from him in this regard, though come to think of it, I dont recall Vettel/Webber doing as many sponsors events as say Button/Lewis did for McLaren.

I was somewhat sceptical at how Kimi would be received at Lotus, especially by Boullier, but there seems to be a mutual and very genuine respect between them, each giving the other what they need, that alone has to be worth something, its my opinion that in Kimi's eyes, and Boulliers eyes, the relationship is beneficial to both, Kimi gets all the support he needs, Boullier gets the best results that Kimi can give in any given situation, in short, it seems a team in relative harmony, when Kimi won last year he talked about how it was great for the team, but not only they guys at the track/factory, the owners as well, having had some difficult times, I dont think i've ever heard such a statement from Kimi before, for me it said much about him caring for the team as a whole, and as we've seen recently, its all about the team, win together, lose together, its possible that Lotus do face difficulties, difficulties that Red Bull may never face, but perhaps those difficulties also serve to strengthen bonds, to unite, to make the wins even more special. I think Kimi is very much at home with Lotus, and its great to follow.

I would not be too "worried" about how Kimi will be treated at RB. This #1 and #2 thing in my view is greatly overstated, and parity is there. Webber’s politics just muddying water, thus it looks worse than reality is. Kimi would be treated there well too, and until the very end, rivalry would be good for all around. From my perspective as Seb’s fan, Kimi would elevate Vettel’s craft a notch up, and challenge him good, but at the end I am convinced he would lose to younger buck.

#32 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:40

I find it interesting that everyone is taking this at face value, rather than wondering what Mateschitz' agenda could be.

Winning, money, power, influence; did I leave anything out?

#33 prty

prty

• 8,437 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:40

That surely would create a dilemma to some of the Kimi supporters that saw in Vettel a good train to jump into recently! :D

#34 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:45

Winning, money, power, influence; did I leave anything out?

More specifically:
A warning to Webber? "Behave yourself, don't try to exploit the situation"

A warning to Vettel? "If you don't play nice with Webber, we could find someone who might give you more problems"

Preparing for eventually losing Vettel? "He is not irreplaceable"

#35 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:55

More specifically:

A warning to Vettel? "If you don't play nice with Webber, we could find someone who might give you more problems"

I have to admit, that's more or less the first thing I thought when I read Mateschitz's words. I read it more like a warning note to his drivers (especially Vettel) than anything else. Mateschitz was probably asked about Räikkönen and that's why he named him, but using the word "candidate" is a pretty strong one. I don't think Mateschitz chooses his words randomly.

#36 sanW10

sanW10

• 134 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:57

Kimi has already worked with Newey at McLaren, + he & Vettel have 'friendship', so it'd be easier for RBR to keep both of these guys happy, in terms of car development too. :D

If Kimi does move to RBR, RBR would definitely be a dominant force when it comes to driver line up, thus WCC & WDC.

Edited by sanW10, 02 April 2013 - 14:57.

#37 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 15:02

More specifically:

I doubt it, because they could have done it at least thrice now for good reasons, and they haven't, as evidenced again this time around. Vettel is in a dog house (at least publicly), and Webber is "threatening to quit over team politics"? What a drama queen. Just take notice how often Webber is cajoled by DM, and then think when you have seen last time in media he would do the same to Vettel.

More specifically: A warning to Vettel? "If you don't play nice with Webber, we could find someone who might give you more problems"

I think that in reality Vettel doesn't care who is his team-mate, it's just that Kimi is his friend, and it is nice to have dinner with someone whose company you enjoy for a change.

Possible, but unlikely, me thinks. If anything, Vettel may decide he wants red jump suit, and that would be sooner than anyone giving him a pink slip.

Edited by Sakae, 02 April 2013 - 15:18.

#38 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 15:08

I have to admit, that's more or less the first thing I thought when I read Mateschitz's words. I read it more like a warning note to his drivers (especially Vettel) than anything else. Mateschitz was probably asked about Räikkönen and that's why he named him, but using the word "candidate" is a pretty strong one. I don't think Mateschitz chooses his words randomly.

I got a different vibe from reading Mateschitz's words. I see it as more of a warning to Webber who does not have a contract for 2014. Vettel for 2014 will be with RBR but he can keep his options open for 2015 and beyond in the event that 2014 Renault's V6 engine turns out to be a dud.

#39 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 15:13

Vettel & Kimi would be one of the strongest lineups for sure..

Advertisement

#40 HopkinsonF1

HopkinsonF1

• 381 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 15:20

Vettel & Kimi would be one of the strongest lineups for sure..

I'd say the strongest line-up. Even stronger than Hamilton/Button were at McLaren, and there are no pairings that strong on the grid right now.

#41 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 15:21

I got a different vibe from reading Mateschitz's words. I see it as more of a warning to Webber who does not have a contract for 2014. Vettel for 2014 will be with RBR but he can keep his options open for 2015 and beyond in the event that 2014 Renault's V6 engine turns out to be a dud.

The thing is that Mateschitz had previously named Webber and the Toro Rosso boys as candidates, which could be the ideal situation for Vettel to say "great! all I have to do is to drive Mark crazy, he will quit and I will get one of the juniors Helmut can control" (Please! I'm not saying Vettel is thinking that, it's just playing with thoughts). But with Mateschitz naming Kimi too, who is good enough, not under Marko's control, not too sensitive to mind games, and who doesn't have the need to stay in F1 and therefore not desperate enough to sign a number-two-driver contract... it could be a nice way to put a little bit of pressure on Vettel too and get a little bit of control (from the team) on both drivers back.

#42 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 15:57

Oh some people like Vettel, sure. And I daresay lots of Germans. But Kimi is far more popular globally, so what's gonna happen if they go head to head? Same thing that happened to Hamilton and Button at McLaren: fans will polarise. And there'll only be one winner out of that.

Well Red Bull only have to look at Lotus or Mercedes to see what having a popular driver means. So far what Red Bull have done is take a popular driver - Webber - and p*ss everyone off with how they treat him, hoping and hoping that fans will take to their high-performing but unattractively arrogant other driver.

So if Dietrich is interested in Kimi does that mean he's learned this simple lesson, or is he going to alienate everyone who likes Kimi now?

Your sense of "popular" seems very forum based. Raikkonen is hugely popular globally, but Vettel is equally so. The reasons are not important, but both are absolutely mobbed by fans and reporters and sought by sponsors. I am a huge fan of both by the way. Distinctions related to the time in the sport, prevail of course, but in practical terms, that is meaningless.

#43 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 15:59

cant answer your poll, cause I would answer the last question with Sutil or Hülkenberg...

#44 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:05

I think Kimi would like the option just like last year when he was told that the same team that fired him is agian interested in him. In the end, I think he wants his association with Lotus to work. He probably believes the Lotus' team environment is probably the best he has been in. He would be hoping to win a title there this year and continue for a few more fruitful years, or continue to build on the promise that has been/would be shown this year and eventually win a title. He would know that even if Red Bull is not like McLaren, it still is a typical high-pressure F1 environment. Though I believe Kimi would be a good fit at Red Bull no matter who the other driver is, if Lotus continues to build championship-contending cars, I have no doubt that Kimi won't leave Lotus for another F1 team.

#45 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:10

I'd say the strongest line-up. Even stronger than Hamilton/Button were at McLaren, and there are no pairings that strong on the grid right now.

Massa on good form is a top driver.

Edited by discover23, 02 April 2013 - 16:10.

#46 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:13

Your sense of "popular" seems very forum based. Raikkonen is hugely popular globally, but Vettel is equally so. The reasons are not important, but both are absolutely mobbed by fans and reporters and sought by sponsors. I am a huge fan of both by the way. Distinctions related to the time in the sport, prevail of course, but in practical terms, that is meaningless.

I understand your desire to avoid a forum poll lol, but what's your metric for global popularity?

#47 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:19

Would be good for Seb to be tested against a WDC.

#48 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:22

K a m u i ! :D

He also wanted Hamilton, untill he was available. :)

Get Kamui!!

#49 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:46

So far what Red Bull have done is take a popular driver - Webber - and p*ss everyone off with how they treat him, hoping and hoping that fans will take to their high-performing but unattractively arrogant other driver.

Lol I can only echo Anr's sentiment, you sure need to get out (of the forum) more :lol:

Where the mention of Mark Webber will at best give you a blank stare (other then down under or with F1 fans), people all over the world have heard of Sebastian Vettel, youngest ever triple Champion has been in the mainstream press repeatedly everywhere. Even my grandmother knows who he is and she's not German nor an F1 fan.

This forum ain't representative for real life, it's not even representative for average F1 fans.
It's a small community of predominantly anglosaxon die hard F1 fans.

Hardly anyone is the real world is p*ssed-off about how Webber is treated nor do they share your opinion of "unattractively arrogant" about Seb Vettel.

Anyway I'd love to see Kimi join Red Bull, great character, fantastic driver and it would give Sebastian a bit of a challenge at least :)

JC

#50 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:59

I think it's win win for everyone.... what's more... it might turn out to be a BIG WIN for Webber as well if he plays it smart, uses his contacts and makes a deal to partner Grosjean at Lotus. Boullier wants RoGro to be champion one day, and in the meantime could do with Webbo's experience if Kimi moves.

Only loser in all this would be:-
Posted Image
Just kidding... he'll love to have Kimi back as everyone loves a winner hehe!!

Simon Rennie is having a tough time off late... got a scolding last year from Kimi, moved to RBR in a straight swap with Webber's engineer... only to get swamped by MULTI 21 :rotfl:

Edited by BackOnTop, 02 April 2013 - 17:06.