Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

Raikkonen ‚??a candidate‚?? for Red Bull 2014: Dietrich Mateschitz

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
786 replies to this topic

Poll: Raikkonen ‚??a candidate‚?? for Red Bull 2014 (492 member(s) have cast votes)

Kimi + Vettel + RBR 2014??

1. Good combination (320 votes [65.17%])

Percentage of vote: 65.17%

2. Bad combination (111 votes [22.61%])

Percentage of vote: 22.61%

3. Undecided for now (60 votes [12.22%])

Percentage of vote: 12.22%

If offered, should Kimi leave Lotus for RBR in 2014?

1. Yes (268 votes [54.58%])

Percentage of vote: 54.58%

2. No (140 votes [28.51%])

Percentage of vote: 28.51%

3. Undecided for now (83 votes [16.90%])

Percentage of vote: 16.90%

If available, who should RBR pick for 2014?

1. M Webber (72 votes [14.66%])

Percentage of vote: 14.66%

2. JE Vergne (38 votes [7.74%])

Percentage of vote: 7.74%

3. D Ricciardo (64 votes [13.03%])

Percentage of vote: 13.03%

4. K Raikkonen (317 votes [64.56%])

Percentage of vote: 64.56%

Vote

#51 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:01

Lol I can only echo Anr's sentiment, you sure need to get out (of the forum) more :lol:

Where the mention of Mark Webber will at best give you a blank stare (other then down under or with F1 fans), people all over the world have heard of Sebastian Vettel, youngest ever triple Champion has been in the mainstream press repeatedly everywhere. Even my grandmother knows who he is and she's not German nor an F1 fan.

This forum ain't representative for real life, it's not even representative for average F1 fans.
It's a small community of predominantly anglosaxon die hard F1 fans.

Hardly anyone is the real world is p*ssed-off about how Webber is treated nor do they share your opinion of "unattractively arrogant" about Seb Vettel.

Anyway I'd love to see Kimi join Red Bull, great character, fantastic driver and it would give Sebastian a bit of a challenge at least :)

JC

Where's your data? We had Ted Kravitz saying he thinks less of Vettel after Sepang...

It's easy enough to blanket deny everything, we've had the 'oh it's a Brit forum' before and it always turns out it's just nationalists judging others by their own standards. And yes we do know he's the youngest ever triple world champion :lol: . But he also says things like 'get him out of the way,' and 'do something' and gets caught browbeating suppliers.

So I don't see Vettel as being anywhere near as popular as Kimi, and consequently there are risks teaming them up, especially if they leave Marko there.

Advertisement

#52 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:03

Oh some people like Vettel, sure. And I daresay lots of Germans. But Kimi is far more popular globally, so what's gonna happen if they go head to head? Same thing that happened to Hamilton and Button at McLaren: fans will polarise. And there'll only be one winner out of that.

If we're talking about fans on this forum, then I daresay you're probably incorrect; a lot of Vettel supporters here also like Raikkonen (though admittedly not always vice versa), so therefore I don't think they'd care who won as long as one of them was WDC. I certainly don't think we'd see the polarisation levels that the Hamilton/Button pairing generated, for example, but I do fully expect that nay-sayers of either or both drivers would be rubbing their hands in anticipation of the opportunity to use the loser's results as an excuse to justify their declaration of a perceived lack of talent in comparison to demigods Hamilton and Alonso, as soon as it's semi-rationally possible.

#53 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:10

Where's your data? We had Ted Kravitz saying he thinks less of Vettel after Sepang...

LOL if you think Ted Kravitz' opinion is representative for the "real world" then maybe it is best that you stay in (the forum) :rotfl:

JC

#54 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:12

If we're talking about fans on this forum, then I daresay you're probably incorrect; a lot of Vettel supporters here also like Raikkonen (though admittedly not always vice versa), so therefore I don't think they'd care who won as long as one of them was WDC. I certainly don't think we'd see the polarisation levels that the Hamilton/Button pairing generated, for example, but I do fully expect that nay-sayers of either or both drivers would be rubbing their hands in anticipation of the opportunity to use the loser's results as an excuse to justify their declaration of a perceived lack of talent in comparison to demigods Hamilton and Alonso, as soon as it's semi-rationally possible.

A lot of Kimi fans actually started following Vettel as an alternate when Raikkonen went rallying for 2010-11 and loved the fact that Vettel beat Ferrari 3 years in a row.

Mostly selfish reasons I suppose considering the following had an ulterior motive behind it.

#55 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:15

Well I dunno. Are they going to sell more drinks? If Kimi thinks I should then obviously I'll buy them :D , UNLESS they favour Vettel over him with Helmet in the garage.

In that case I'd boycott them, equally obviously.

And I predict Kimi and Sebi will fall out, and in that case I won't be encouraged to buy the tiny little cans either.

So there's an element of risk, I'd say. It might be safer to pick someone nobody cares about.

#56 sopa

sopa

• 3,434 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:17

It will be interesting to see, what this would do to their ratings. Many people rate Alonso and Hamilton higher than Vettel and Raikkonen. So if Vettel and Raikkonen are a match, this would be used as an argument that neither is a true top driver. But if one of them beats the other, will the winner be universally accepted as a match to FA/LH?

#57 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:18

Kimi&Vettel would be a great lineup; there is no doubt about it. They seem to truly respect and like each other, so I don't believe such a lineup would cause much drama.

But personally, I'd prefer Vettel&Alonso. More exciting.

#58 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:21

LOL if you think Ted Kravitz' opinion is representative for the "real world" then maybe it is best that you stay in (the forum) :rotfl:

JC

You don't have any data then :)

Kravitz said that on worldwide TV. Have you not read anything since Sepang? There's been a LOT of criticism.

Even some people who supported the move disliked how he handled it.

#59 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:48

Kravitz said that on worldwide TV. Have you not read anything since Sepang? There's been a LOT of criticism.

Shock horror Ted Kravitz is now on worldwide TV :eek:
Most people in the world can't even understand what Ted Kravitz says :lol:

This merely underlines how warped your perception of reality is.
UK does not equal the world and this forum is not the real world
Most people just saw an entertaining fight on track in Sepang, the rest is just flutter that passes by unnoticed to most casual fans.

Kimi to Red Bull should be great, 2 popular champions slugging it out.
It will be a PR wet dream for Red Bull and very entertaining.

The only risk I can see is that they then might have the WCC wrapped up by summer already  ;)

JC

Advertisement

#60 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:50

Kimi&Vettel would be a great lineup; there is no doubt about it. They seem to truly respect and like each other, so I don't believe such a lineup would cause much drama.

But personally, I'd prefer Vettel&Alonso. More exciting.

I actually agree. If Webber is going there probably isnt a better wheel to wheel racer than Kimi. Bloody quick too. Brings results. Funny how quick I changed my mind over this.

#61 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:52

It will be interesting to see, what this would do to their ratings. Many people rate Alonso and Hamilton higher than Vettel and Raikkonen. So if Vettel and Raikkonen are a match, this would be used as an argument that neither is a true top driver. But if one of them beats the other, will the winner be universally accepted as a match to FA/LH?

:rolleyes: Again with this rating crap. Not everyone shivers at the sight of Alonso or Hamilton. Infact, sometimes Hamilton makes me laugh when he makes a fool of himself.

Alonso+Hamilton= 3 WDC & 2 WCC @ 5 World Championships.
Vettel+Raikkonen= 4 WDC & 5 WCC @ 9 World Championships.

It's best to keep ratings (personal feelings/wetdreams) to oneself and look at facts sometimes. They are all excellent drivers, so stop making it into a stupid competition.

Edited by BackOnTop, 02 April 2013 - 17:53.

#62 Talisman

Talisman

• 798 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:55

Given the huge bustup Mateschitz had with Peter Sauber over Kimi years ago I'd find it amusing if the Finn ended up at RBR. Would be yet another symbol of the huge waste of money the Red Bull racing driver project is!

#63 bub

bub

• 2,535 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 18:01

I'd love to see this happen. I like to see drivers have the most competitive teammate possible.

#64 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 18:04

Given the huge bustup Mateschitz had with Peter Sauber over Kimi years ago I'd find it amusing if the Finn ended up at RBR. Would be yet another symbol of the huge waste of money the Red Bull racing driver project is!

It was Marko IIRC. In any case Kimi+Seb sound like a mighty great team on paper but who knows how things will go once they are direct competitors? I do think they would mesh quite nicely but nothing is sure in life and F1.

In any case Mark is still the big fav for 2014 and part of the team so I don't like to speculate even if the big boss has basically started the thread by his comments.

Edited by H2H, 02 April 2013 - 18:05.

#65 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 18:08

Shock horror Ted Kravitz is now on worldwide TV :eek:
Most people in the world can't even understand what Ted Kravitz says :lol:

This merely underlines how warped your perception of reality is.
UK does not equal the world and this forum is not the real world
Most people just saw an entertaining fight on track in Sepang, the rest is just flutter that passes by unnoticed to most casual fans.

Kimi to Red Bull should be great, 2 popular champions slugging it out.
It will be a PR wet dream for Red Bull and very entertaining.

The only risk I can see is that they then might have the WCC wrapped up by summer already ;)

JC

Or much idea about how Sebi went down in the real world...

Vettel revealed as a liar
pitpass.com-1 Apr 2013Share
As the Sepang Saga rumbles on, an interview with the sport's official website reveals what many already suspected, that Sebastian Vettel can ...

DAWN.com-30 Mar 2013Share
Webber's rugged stoicism has earned him many admirers. Vettel's vanity and single-mindedness, as revealed last week, has cost him.

Maverick behaviour has damaged Sebastian Vettel, says Jenson ...
The Guardian-27 Mar 2013Share
Sebastian Vettel has damaged himself by his maverick decision to flout team orders to win Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix, according to ...

Anyway I'd like to see it, Kimi + Sebi. I just think it could easily go wrong for RBR but I wouldn't mind, let's see.

Edited by undersquare, 02 April 2013 - 18:09.

#66 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 792 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 18:08

Would not like to see this happen as a Kimi fan. Would rather he stayed at Lotus where he's got number one status and they're on the way up.

#67 kenkip

kenkip

• 475 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 18:10

Lol I can only echo Anr's sentiment, you sure need to get out (of the forum) more :lol:

Where the mention of Mark Webber will at best give you a blank stare (other then down under or with F1 fans), people all over the world have heard of Sebastian Vettel, youngest ever triple Champion has been in the mainstream press repeatedly everywhere. Even my grandmother knows who he is and she's not German nor an F1 fan.

This forum ain't representative for real life, it's not even representative for average F1 fans.
It's a small community of predominantly anglosaxon die hard F1 fans.

Hardly anyone is the real world is p*ssed-off about how Webber is treated nor do they share your opinion of "unattractively arrogant" about Seb Vettel.

Anyway I'd love to see Kimi join Red Bull, great character, fantastic driver and it would give Sebastian a bit of a challenge at least :)

JC

I fully agree with this part,casual F1 fans mostly follow either drivers of their own country or the winners,so the unpopular drivers in this forum (Alonso,Vettel,Hamilton) are not as hated in real life as they are here.
I have been explaining to my mates and relatives the 'multi 21' saga and most of them are like 'who the hell is Mark Webber?'But when I mention Sebastian they all know him.
On topic,Kimi would be fantastic for redbull,especialy if he doesnt have much PR work to do.He is waaay more consistent than Webber,(maybe even more than Seb?)brings tonnes of experience and redbull would have his global brand to work with.As for him and Vettel working together,it would obviously strain their friendship but unlike Webber I think he would face him man to man and iron out their issues,he doesnt srike me as a guy to wash the dirty linen of the team in public.
The more I think about it,the more I wonder why they never got him for the 2012 season.

#68 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 18:15

Or much idea about how Sebi went down in the real world...

Vettel revealed as a liar
pitpass.com-1 Apr 2013Share
As the Sepang Saga rumbles on, an interview with the sport's official website reveals what many already suspected, that Sebastian Vettel can ...

DAWN.com-30 Mar 2013Share
Webber's rugged stoicism has earned him many admirers. Vettel's vanity and single-mindedness, as revealed last week, has cost him.

Maverick behaviour has damaged Sebastian Vettel, says Jenson ...
The Guardian-27 Mar 2013Share
Sebastian Vettel has damaged himself by his maverick decision to flout team orders to win Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix, according to ...

Anyway I'd like to see it, Kimi + Sebi. I just think it could easily go wrong for RBR but I wouldn't mind, let's see.

This topic is about Kimi being a candiate for RBR not about some, mostly commonwealth groupthink which has luckily broken up a fair amount lately. And thank god the world has many more countries...

Edited by H2H, 02 April 2013 - 18:16.

#69 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 18:20

I think it would be more fun if RBR took Alonso.

Alonso has made it more than clear that he would like an RBR seat more than any other driver in F1. I know of no other driver with the same level of admiration for Red Bull cars, and on top of this, with as much public frustration with his own team.

Regardless of which of the two is the better driver, it is clear that Alonso would like an RBR seat more than Kimi would.

#70 spinne

spinne

• 77 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 18:30

Alonso has made it more than clear that he would like an RBR seat more than any other driver in F1. I know of no other driver with the same level of admiration for Red Bull cars, and on top of this, with as much public frustration with his own team.

Regardless of which of the two is the better driver, it is clear that Alonso would like an RBR seat more than Kimi would.

And 3 years ago he desperate needed a ferrari drive... Alonso just always want to best otherwise he complains and blames the team...

Edited by spinne, 02 April 2013 - 18:30.

#71 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:08

This topic is about Kimi being a candiate for RBR not about some, mostly commonwealth groupthink which has luckily broken up a fair amount lately. And thank god the world has many more countries...

Yeah the topic is about Kimi to Red Bull not your xenophobia. My view is it's a risk to pair a superstar popular driver like Kimi with someone like Vettel, given what's happened so far with Marko, Vettel's behaviour, and the team vis a vis Webber.

But bring it on, it might sell more drinks, or not, I don't mind. Sebi is better than Webber. Is he better than Kimi?

#72 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:09

Would you elaborate on this, please? What are you referring to in Sauber's case, and also how is RB differing to other teams in paying drivers for their services?
Thanks
S.

#73 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:20

K a m u i ! :D

Would DM accept him? If Kimi decides to stay at Lotus, I would not mind if Kamui replaces Webber, but realistically this could be rather an (very) outside call, especially when you have other numerous candidates knocking on the door. Webber might stay at the end and to my dismay, but November is still quite far...

#74 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,927 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:31

I'd love if it happened, it'd be a hell of a team and easily the best on the grid. But I think the fallout from the last GP and how it's handled by the team will have a huge effect on the potential for any of the big name drivers to go to RB while SV is still there.

#75 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:32

They're both quick, consistent, good friends, and WDC winners--it'd give RBR two great drivers, Kimi a competitive car, and all the Vettel doubters a yardstick to compare him against. Sounds like a win-win for everyone.

:up:
Yep, I'm inclined to agree.

#76 Dino2000

Dino2000

• 52 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:36

More specifically:
A warning to Webber? "Behave yourself, don't try to exploit the situation"

A warning to Vettel? "If you don't play nice with Webber, we could find someone who might give you more problems"

Preparing for eventually losing Vettel? "He is not irreplaceable"

You have been absolutely spot-on. The win-win situation is for Mateschitz!!!!

#77 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,074 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:43

:rolleyes:

Alonso+Hamilton= 3 WDC & 2 WCC @ 5 World Championships.
Vettel+Raikkonen= 4 WDC & 5 WCC @ 9 World Championships.

Senna + Piquet = 6 WDC

Schumacher + Sakon Yamamoto= 7 WDC.

#78 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,659 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:44

Would definitely be the toughest teammate Kimi's ever faced. Not sure how he'd fare in comparison, so I'd be worried about it a little. For the team, it wouldn't be a bad choice obviously as I rate Kimi there with Webber.

I'd rather Kimi stick with Lotus. Spread the driver love around to more teams so nobody is hogging all the talent too much talent to themselves. Unless Vettel wants to go to Ferrari. I'm good with that. :p

#79 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:47

Oh some people like Vettel, sure. And I daresay lots of Germans. But Kimi is far more popular globally, so what's gonna happen if they go head to head? Same thing that happened to Hamilton and Button at McLaren: fans will polarise. And there'll only be one winner out of that.

True enough, but you come at this a supporter of someone who only has to breath to be unquestioningly worshipped. Almost all F1 viewers I know in blighty adore Hamilton, but have little or no knowledge of F1; they latched on to him in his hugely publicised (extremely impressive) debut year and in their eyes he's never been less than perfect in every way since. When Lewis lies, fails or acts a cock it's brushed under the carpet in a heartbeat, yet when Vettel does it the world must loathe him for eternity. Go figure.

Advertisement

#80 Trust

Trust

• 3,200 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:04

Would definitely be the toughest teammate Kimi's ever faced. Not sure how he'd fare in comparison, so I'd be worried about it a little. For the team, it wouldn't be a bad choice obviously as I rate Kimi there with Webber.

I'd rather Kimi stick with Lotus. Spread the driver love around to more teams so nobody is hogging all the talent too much talent to themselves. Unless Vettel wants to go to Ferrari. I'm good with that. :p

For the same reason I would want Kimi to go to RB. He should be able to beat Vettel, than he could retire easily. And then I would like Vettel to dominate Alonso or Hamilton for the rest of career.

#81 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:05

True enough, but you come at this a supporter of someone who only has to breath to be unquestioningly worshipped. Almost all F1 viewers I know in blighty adore Hamilton, but have little or no knowledge of F1; they latched on to him in his hugely publicised (extremely impressive) debut year and in their eyes he's never been less than perfect in every way since. When Lewis lies, fails or acts a cock it's brushed under the carpet in a heartbeat, yet when Vettel does it the world must loathe him for eternity. Go figure.

:up: I'm glad you said almost all, because this one in Blighty doesn't adore him, you've made an interesting point though, it seems that according to some, when Vettel messes up and is crucified in the press its bad for his image, when Lewis tweets his teams data, and falsely claims Jenson "unfollowed" him and is then ridiculed in the press, its a sign of his popularity, and his prowess as a click generator.

Talk about hypocrisy eh.

#82 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:08

For the same reason I would want Kimi to go to RB. He should be able to beat Vettel, than he could retire easily. And then I would like Vettel to dominate Alonso or Hamilton for the rest of career.

I would like to see Kimi go up against Seb, I think it would be an interesting contest, it would definitely be the best pairing on the grid, but i also think that DM is being clever with comments.

#83 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:20

This is a poor post isn't it? The topic is not me, Hamilton, or the Brits. Tho there are German drivers I like and British drivers I don't so go figure that.

The point here is that Kimi is very popular. Vettel isn't, IMO, considering his achievements, but if there's some evidence that he is then I'll take it on board.

So if Marko stays and screws Kimi, or if we hear Sebi radioing 'get Kimi out of the way' then it could backfire on Dietrich and make RBR even less effective as a promotion for his fizzy drinks. If I were advising DM I'd tell him that if he gets Kimi he has to dump Helmet.

#84 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:22

More specifically:
A warning to Webber? "Behave yourself, don't try to exploit the situation"

Possibly.

A warning to Vettel? "If you don't play nice with Webber, we could find someone who might give you more problems"

Preparing for eventually losing Vettel? "He is not irreplaceable"

Even more possible, I think. In particular, it could be a good time to send the message that Vettel is not irreplaceable. Winning in a Ferrari could be more difficult with Kimi in a Red Bull (not to mention Alonso in the other Ferrari).

#85 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:24

None of these things are clear to me!

#86 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,939 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:25

Vettel & Kimi would be one of the strongest lineups for sure..

Or the most catastrophic.

One will say: Yes yes, I know what I am doing.

The other will say: Let me through, he is too slow.

You cannot get a more disobedient driver line up than that.

#87 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,717 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:26

It is now Seb's 'job' to get the least combative team mate available.
If ya see what I mean.
Jp

#88 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:29

It would be extremely important to know Adrian Newey's plan before signing for Red Bull in any case. If he were not part of the Red Bull picture, Enstone could well be a better bet.

#89 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:30

This is a poor post isn't it? The topic is not me, Hamilton, or the Brits. Tho there are German drivers I like and British drivers I don't so go figure that.

The point here is that Kimi is very popular. Vettel isn't, IMO, considering his achievements, but if there's some evidence that he is then I'll take it on board.

So if Marko stays and screws Kimi, or if we hear Sebi radioing 'get Kimi out of the way' then it could backfire on Dietrich and make RBR even less effective as a promotion for his fizzy drinks. If I were advising DM I'd tell him that if he gets Kimi he has to dump Helmet.

Good; dump Helmut, pray for decent tyres, and let 'em race. One or two comings together over 19 or 20 races would be a small price to pay in return. Despite vocal claims to the contrary on ths forum Vettel clearly has no uber #1 status as was evidenced on Sunday; he didn't ask for Webber to be slowed, just wanted the freedom to race, so there's no reason Marko needs to be around stuffing bananas up Kimi's exhaust pipes.

#90 bub

bub

• 2,535 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:35

:up: I'm glad you said almost all, because this one in Blighty doesn't adore him, you've made an interesting point though, it seems that according to some, when Vettel messes up and is crucified in the press its bad for his image, when Lewis tweets his teams data, and falsely claims Jenson "unfollowed" him and is then ridiculed in the press, its a sign of his popularity, and his prowess as a click generator.

Talk about hypocrisy eh.

This isn't really true. Hamilton gets criticized for wearing the wrong hat or being photographed near a celebrity. Vettel and Hamilton both have their fans and their haters. If anybody gets lauded for things other drivers would get slated for its the subject of this topic, Kimi, so maybe it would polarize fans if he joined Vettel. I can imagine the reaction of some Kimi fans if he'd been in Webbers position in Malaysia.

Edited by bub, 02 April 2013 - 20:38.

#91 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:47

Good; dump Helmut, pray for decent tyres, and let 'em race. One or two comings together over 19 or 20 races would be a small price to pay in return. Despite vocal claims to the contrary on ths forum Vettel clearly has no uber #1 status as was evidenced on Sunday; he didn't ask for Webber to be slowed, just wanted the freedom to race, so there's no reason Marko needs to be around stuffing bananas up Kimi's exhaust pipes.

Well if they take Kimi they have to change the perception that it's Vettel's team, is my point. We can all see that Vettel is better than Webber, but I don't think that'll be the case with Kimi, so fans won't accept bias.

To me both Sebi and Red Bull Racing are amazingly unpopular, considering what they've achieved, and to some extent those two are linked I feel. RBR can fix some of that with Kimi, IF they don't blow it.

Though if it were up to me I'd replace Vettel with Kimi, job done - win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

#92 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 20:51

This isn't really true. Hamilton gets criticized for wearing the wrong hat or being photographed near a celebrity. Vettel and Hamilton both have their fans and their haters. If anybody gets lauded for things other drivers would get slated for its the subject of this topic, Kimi, so maybe it would polarize fans if he joined Vettel. I can imagine the reaction of some Kimi fans if he'd been in Webbers position in Malaysia.

Well lets see, when Lewis had his outburst at the stewards in Monaco 2011 this is what undersquare said,

"Also I reckon for all the hand-wringing Monaco has just made Hammy more popular rather than less."

Yet here he is posting quotes about Vettels popularity going down, one rule for Seb, another for Lewis, dishonest at best.

#93 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 21:01

Well lets see, when Lewis had his outburst at the stewards in Monaco 2011 this is what undersquare said,

"Also I reckon for all the hand-wringing Monaco has just made Hammy more popular rather than less."

Yet here he is posting quotes about Vettels popularity going down, one rule for Seb, another for Lewis, dishonest at best.

Oh please. You're betting you'll out-dare me on hijacking the thread :rolleyes: .

Well, you're right. But I agreed with Hamilton that the Monaco stewards were so way out of line that his colour could easily have been a factor. He was angry, he spoke his mind, and people like that - see Kimi or Webbo. That is totally different from Vettel letting his arrogant interior peep through the veneer, which is just unattractive, and disillusioning for those who thought he was a sweet funny guy.

#94 bub

bub

• 2,535 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 21:04

And nobody had anything negative to say about Hamilton?
And nobody has claimed Vettel should be praised for being a true racer?

But this is getting off topic, If you believe Hamilton never gets criticism and Vettel never gets defended then fine.

#95 sprice

sprice

• 50 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 21:08

Well if they take Kimi they have to change the perception that it's Vettel's team, is my point. We can all see that Vettel is better than Webber, but I don't think that'll be the case with Kimi, so fans won't accept bias.

To me both Sebi and Red Bull Racing are amazingly unpopular, considering what they've achieved, and to some extent those two are linked I feel. RBR can fix some of that with Kimi, IF they don't blow it.

Though if it were up to me I'd replace Vettel with Kimi, job done - win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

I think signing Kimi would in itself change the perception that Vettel has number one status, and I think it would be great! Two drivers concentrating on driving rather than having one whinging to the press, bring it on!

I also think your perception that Seb and RBR are unpopular is based on what you find on English speaking websites online. The hundreds of thousands of people that get off their computers and make the effort to see them at Milton Keynes, Vienna and Heppenheim, not to mention every F1 race tell a different story.

#96 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,927 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 21:11

Different circles I guess but from what I've seen Vettel/Red Bull has become the new byword for speed ala Schumacher, and with success comes popularity. Certainly casual fans will support whoever is regarded as the current best and the only place I've really seen any real dislike of Vettel prior to the last GP has been on this forum.

#97 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 21:21

Senna + Piquet = 6 WDC

Schumacher + Sakon Yamamoto= 7 WDC.

You do realize that mate of yours was comparing how great a "pair" Alonso+Hamilton are in comparision to a somewhat average rated pairing Kimi+Vettel would make... And that they are not yet at the former's great level. I guess 9 Championships 'pairing' still needs to prove themself to some forumers around here.

#98 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,999 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 21:23

Would you elaborate on this, please? What are you referring to in Sauber's case, and also how is RB differing to other teams in paying drivers for their services?
Thanks
S.

I guess he's referring to the fact that Marko (not Mateschitz), wanted to place his favourite Bernoldi at Sauber in 2001, but Sauber chose Räikkönen instead which lead to the end of RB's sponsorship there.

Edited by Jovanotti, 02 April 2013 - 21:25.

#99 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 21:26

Well, you're right.

Yes i know.

Advertisement

#100 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 21:27

And nobody had anything negative to say about Hamilton?
And nobody has claimed Vettel should be praised for being a true racer?

But this is getting off topic, If you believe Hamilton never gets criticism and Vettel never gets defended then fine.

I haven't claimed either of those, but yes its going off topic so i'll leave it there.