Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

Raikkonen ‚??a candidate‚?? for Red Bull 2014: Dietrich Mateschitz

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
786 replies to this topic

Poll: Raikkonen ‚??a candidate‚?? for Red Bull 2014 (492 member(s) have cast votes)

Kimi + Vettel + RBR 2014??

1. Good combination (320 votes [65.17%])

Percentage of vote: 65.17%

2. Bad combination (111 votes [22.61%])

Percentage of vote: 22.61%

3. Undecided for now (60 votes [12.22%])

Percentage of vote: 12.22%

If offered, should Kimi leave Lotus for RBR in 2014?

1. Yes (268 votes [54.58%])

Percentage of vote: 54.58%

2. No (140 votes [28.51%])

Percentage of vote: 28.51%

3. Undecided for now (83 votes [16.90%])

Percentage of vote: 16.90%

If available, who should RBR pick for 2014?

1. M Webber (72 votes [14.66%])

Percentage of vote: 14.66%

2. JE Vergne (38 votes [7.74%])

Percentage of vote: 7.74%

3. D Ricciardo (64 votes [13.03%])

Percentage of vote: 13.03%

4. K Raikkonen (317 votes [64.56%])

Percentage of vote: 64.56%

Vote

#101 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 21:28

Well if they take Kimi they have to change the perception that it's Vettel's team, is my point. We can all see that Vettel is better than Webber, but I don't think that'll be the case with Kimi, so fans won't accept bias.

To me both Sebi and Red Bull Racing are amazingly unpopular, considering what they've achieved, and to some extent those two are linked I feel. RBR can fix some of that with Kimi, IF they don't blow it.

Though if it were up to me I'd replace Vettel with Kimi, job done - win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

My general impression is, Kimi really is well-liked. He has nowhere as many haters as Vettel/Alonso do. But the thing is, popularity is a relative thing. Vettel/Alonso are easily the most popular drivers out there in the sense that everyone and their cat has heard of them. The two of them are the ones fighting for WDC in the last few years and they are also the most titled. Even if they are hated by many, their names are well-known. Vettel is a brand, like it or not. Same goes for Alonso.

Why do even the most casual F1 fans (even those who hate Ferrari/Alonso/Vettel--or especially those who hate them), want to see FA and SV in one team? Not Kimi&Alonso, not Kimi&Lewis, and not FA&LH (we've seen that already), but Alonso and Vettel. Because it'a thrill, because it's exciting, because FA and SV both have their share of haters who want one of them to be destroyed by the other :smoking: --and at last, because some drama is guaranteed. F1 is a show. A show needs drama and villains. It makes a good story.

I agree with you that Kimi would be great for Red Bull to sell RB. Vettel would be great for established teams like Ferrari and McLaren. If Vettel becomes a Ferrari driver, his negative popularity would convert into a positive one. He's so disliked because he keeps winning against the established stars of established teams.

Just my opinion. I don't claim to be right, but that's what I think.

Advertisement

#102 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 21:46

...so there's no reason Marko needs to be around stuffing bananas up Kimi's exhaust pipes.

lol :up:
I think dr Marko will still be around as he's Mateschitz' representative but you are right no need to hamper Kimi

To me both Sebi and Red Bull Racing are amazingly unpopular, considering what they've achieved, and to some extent those two are linked I feel.

Thing is that for those who look a bit further than a forum, one little island and only one language it is clear they are not :wave:

Well lets see, when Lewis had his outburst at the stewards in Monaco 2011 this is what undersquare said,

"Also I reckon for all the hand-wringing Monaco has just made Hammy more popular rather than less."

OK thanks for that :up:
So there's an agenda/bias to compliment the very limited outlook on things
figures.......

Different circles I guess but from what I've seen Vettel/Red Bull has become the new byword for speed ala Schumacher, and with success comes popularity. Certainly casual fans will support whoever is regarded as the current best and the only place I've really seen any real dislike of Vettel prior to the last GP has been on this forum.

Spot on although there's always a dislike when there's too much success.

Something that could very well happen with 2 giants such as Kimi and Seb in one team  ;)
Bring it on!

JC

#103 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 22:04

I guess he's referring to the fact that Marko (not Mateschitz), wanted to place his favourite Bernoldi at Sauber in 2001, but Sauber chose Räikkönen instead which lead to the end of RB's sponsorship there.

Thank you.

#104 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,118 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 22:44

Kimi on all counts, and him racing for RB with Seb = best pairing on the planet!

I'd prefer to see
Kimi and Lewis

#105 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 23:26

If Kimi has the opportunity he surely has to go to Red Bull.

He has plenty of aggression though and a lot of speed so I don't see his friendship with Sebi surviving. He's even more difficult to control than Webbo so any favouritism or a stunt like Sepang or a 'get him out of the way' would mean big, big trouble.

I'd love to see it. Though I'm also loving seeing him at the revived Lotus.

Vettel, I have to point out, would become even less popular...

Pretty much nailed it. :up: Would be a match up well worth watching.

Edited by DILLIGAF, 02 April 2013 - 23:28.

#106 drag

drag

• 120 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 00:09

Good combination

Kimi should not leave Lotus

RBR should pick Kimi

#107 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,833 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 00:11

Kimi has three choices for 2014, go to Red Bull, stay at Lotus or quit from F1...all of them highly possible, don't think he will retire just yet but both Lotus and RBR sound great for me...however next year rules will change heavily and it's not known who will stay on top.

#108 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 00:14

I'm always amused by threads like this - there always seems to be one of them on the go.

Kimi fans seem desperate to get him out of Lotus, Vettel fans want someone who's friendlier to Vettel.... never mind the fact that Webber & Vettel for their non-relationship seem to have done pretty well as a combo.

:rolleyes:

#109 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 00:51

:rolleyes: Again with this rating crap. Not everyone shivers at the sight of Alonso or Hamilton. Infact, sometimes Hamilton makes me laugh when he makes a fool of himself.

Alonso+Hamilton= 3 WDC & 2 WCC @ 5 World Championships.
Vettel+Raikkonen= 4 WDC & 5 WCC @ 9 World Championships.

Since when are WCC's relevant in judging how good a driver is? :drunk:

Does anyone here remember or care about how many WCC's Senna, Prost or Schumacher won? :rolleyes:

The fact that you bring up WCC wins shows just how desperate you are to prove something. :lol:

Kimi "won" the 2008 WCC, the same year he had the best car, yet couldn't even put up a serious WDC challenge. Making a fool of himself, and ruining his reputation for good.

The fact that Lewis, in '08, destroyed Kimi in a car that finished behind in the WCC, shows just how much better he is as a driver.

Secondly, to answer this thread; yes it would be a good combination, since Raikkonen doesn't seem to care too much when beaten by a better driver. Ask Massa.

Edited by Kingshark, 03 April 2013 - 00:53.

#110 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,637 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:06

Not sure how I feel about this.

It could either lead to:

A. Vettel leaving the team if Raikkonen beats him
B. Raikkonen ending his career in Vettel's shadow if he fails to beat him
C. Huge conflicts over number one status
or
D. Harmony, equilibrium and some great teammate fights on track (least likely)

If Kimi wants to challenge himself, he should move to Red Bull to see if he's got the mojo to beat the all star in the same equipment. I'd be extremely curious to see how he stacks against Vettel in the same car.

Then again, I think Kimi is happy where he is right now and enjoys it so he'll most likely stay at Lotus. Maybe that will change by the end of the year if he gets bored, you never know with this guy.

Edited by Cyanide, 03 April 2013 - 03:08.

#111 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:17

Since when are WCC's relevant in judging how good a driver is? :drunk:
The fact that you bring up WCC wins shows just how desperate you are to prove something. :lol:

Kimi "won" the 2008 WCC, the same year he had the best car, yet couldn't even put up a serious WDC challenge. Making a fool of himself, and ruining his reputation for good.

The fact that Lewis, in '08, destroyed Kimi in a car that finished behind in the WCC, shows just how much better he is as a driver.

Were you in a cave for the last week or something?? You need to visit here to see how much some people with "double standards" actually cared about WCC points & a driver being a TEAM PLAYER!! I am sure you are in there somewhere :lol:

Webber vs Vettel - Malaysia 2013 - who was right?
http://forums.autosp...howtopic=183304

The rest of your post is simply incoherent & pretty much as I would expect from someone who has not been paying attention to the chain of events 'for my post'... and has just barged in here to give his two bits of senseless comparision!

PS- Next time pay attention to the thread and the reply chain before trying to derail this thread with rants about Kimi

Edited by BackOnTop, 03 April 2013 - 03:22.

#112 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,443 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:21

I understand your desire to avoid a forum poll lol, but what's your metric for global popularity?

I am assuming your belief is also not based on forum polls. I would imagine we have the same opportunity to gauge based on what we experience.

As I mentioned, Kimi has been driving longer, he has necessarily amassed more fans and we are incredibly loyal - following him from sport to sport.

As an F1 driver, Vettel has proven to be highly sought after by all the usual suspects as the youngest ever triple world champion, so I fail to understand why you feel he is not on the same sort of path. He's more or less getting the same treatment Kimi started getting at Macca. The more success he had, the more fans he amassed.

Seb is the young boy racer's driver - just like Kimi was for many of us when he started (prior to that I was all about Prost, but in honesty that was an inheritance from my pop). In addition to adopt a driver - in the case of both Kimi and Seb, you have supreme talent and that is what draws fans of all ages and experience to support a driver.

#113 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:50

I'm always amused by threads like this - there always seems to be one of them on the go.

Kimi fans seem desperate to get him out of Lotus, Vettel fans want someone who's friendlier to Vettel.... never mind the fact that Webber & Vettel for their non-relationship seem to have done pretty well as a combo.

:rolleyes:

1- Blame RedBull owner for looking at Kimi as a candidate.. I guess he makes these statements to amuse you.
2- Not really, he's doing just fine at Lotus... so nobody is desperate expect you maybe.

Anyways, since Kimi has returned and beaten Hamilton, Button & Webber driving a inferior car... it's logical that he'd be a candidate for these big teams. Not that Kimi cares a jot about it himself.

#114 loki

loki

• 2,001 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:40

Shock horror Ted Kravitz is now on worldwide TV :eek:
Most people in the world can't even understand what Ted Kravitz says :lol:

What is a Ted Kravitz?... Seriously. I had to Google it...
Which pretty much proves your point.

As for Kimi, leave him alone. He knows what he's doing...

#115 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 398 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:03

Webber for Raikkonen swap

#116 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 653 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:25

Kimi has three choices for 2014, go to Red Bull, stay at Lotus or quit from F1...all of them highly possible, don't think he will retire just yet but both Lotus and RBR sound great for me...however next year rules will change heavily and it's not known who will stay on top.

Red Bull responded better in the last major rule changes. As result, they had build the best car for the last 4 years.

I'm not sure if Lotus be able to follow that.

Kimi to Red Bull for me.

#117 Iremos

Iremos

• 116 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:00

I am a Kimi fan since his first season and I never liked this young arrogant German, who has no manners, and I never will. Kimi should stay with Lotus and avoid the toxic environment at RB, shall I remind anyone of a certain Austrian who works at RB?

#118 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:08

Were you in a cave for the last week or something?? You need to visit here to see how much some people with "double standards" actually cared about WCC points & a driver being a TEAM PLAYER!! I am sure you are in there somewhere :lol:

That is irrelevant.

The constructors championship is entirely about teams. NO ONE here cares about how many WCC Senna or Prost won in their careers.

Raikkonen won 2 WCC yet only 1 WDC with Ferrari.

What does that mean? He had the car to win the championship with twice, yet he could only do it once, and failed miserably in his second season.

PS- Next time pay attention to the thread and the reply chain before trying to derail this thread with rants about Kimi

You were the one who made the delusional and ridiculous comparison, I just made fun of it.

#119 pRy

pRy

• 10,888 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:13

Even billionaire Mateschitz, a known strong supporter of 36-year-old Webber, agrees that the Australian could leave at the end of his 2013 contract.

Only if you ignore what he also said in the article:

"Mark is definitely a candidate for 2014. He is always welcome with us."

Advertisement

#120 Music Lover

Music Lover

• 344 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:17

3 pages and nobody mentioned 2014 with the massive rule changes?
Going to be a massive development race in 2014 and 2015 !!

Some less financial strong teams will be fast in the beginning of 2014 but the big teams with resources going to have the upper hand over the season.
I don't think Lotus has the budget needed.

RB also have the money to pay Kimi. His value is quite a bit higher now, compared with a year ago. He's proven all doubters wrong driving a close to perfect 2012 campaign

#121 bsrf1

bsrf1

• 81 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:21

I want Kimi to continue with Lotus and win a world championship with them. They both seem to suit very well. Lotus respects him and make him comfortable.

#122 Adelaide

Adelaide

• 205 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:21

I'm a huge Kimi fan and would love to see him at Red Bull. I do wonder though if his age could be against him. Would Red Bull get rid of mid 30s Mark Webber to hire another driver of nearly the same age?

#123 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:43

1- Blame RedBull owner for looking at Kimi as a candidate.. I guess he makes these statements to amuse you.
2- Not really, he's doing just fine at Lotus... so nobody is desperate expect you maybe.

Have you not been on the forum long? There's been threads about where Kimi *should* drive in F1 since before he was off rallying. When he signed with Lotus, there were posts whining about the fact he'd signed for them. Every year when Webber's contract talk ramps up, Kimi fans cant help but proclaim Kimi's suitability.

The fact that Dietrich Mateschitz mentioned Kimi when someone asked him about *possible* replacements for Webber has just given the fanboys some renewed oxygen. Vettel fans are jumping on it because they're shitted off at Webber's reluctance to play compliant wingman, as they much prefer an environment where there's sunlight & daisies, and everyone worships Seb including his teammate. :well:

From reading his comments (minus the journo spin), it looks to me as if the ball's still firmly in Webber's court.

Edited by NotSoSilentBob, 03 April 2013 - 07:46.

#124 fed up

fed up

• 1,953 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:56

I want Kimi to continue with Lotus and win a world championship with them. They both seem to suit very well. Lotus respects him and make him comfortable.

This...

No upside in moving to RBR. Vettel is the blue eyed boy and is favoured. Kimi has nothing to prove and has a low profile job in a good car at Lotus - RBR would thrust him into the limelight - again - and he'd probably get outpaced by Vettel.

#125 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:17

More smoke...

#126 Opaque

Opaque

• 44 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:25

I don't know why people say Kimi is difficult to control. I remember in 2008 at least in one occasion Kimi went very slow indeed to let Massa past. In my opinion he would be a very good #2. Vettel would do the winning, Kimi would do the drinking. Perfect PR for Red Bull.

#127 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 138 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:30

I don't know why people say Kimi is difficult to control. I remember in 2008 at least in one occasion Kimi went very slow indeed to let Massa past. In my opinion he would be a very good #2. Vettel would do the winning, Kimi would do the drinking. Perfect PR for Red Bull.

Another piece of utter carp. Kimi would not be #2. Nor does he need to have an official #1 status. He would just be faster.

Id like to see that move. Chances of wdc are much better in the best car. altho Kimi must love the cool underdog feeling at Lotus.

#128 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:45

Kimi doesn't have to be "No. 2". I am not privy to instructions issued, but from what we have seen thus far, Webber is fighting Vettel to the last race relentlessly, and the team seems to let him. Problem is, that some people have difficulty to accept, and that he is either slowing down or maybe he was never up to task challenge his younger team-mate. Kimi could challenge Seb, and it could be an interesting experiment which would place their friendship to test. I would like to see it on equal status. Moreover, DM strikes me as an individual who is perfectly capable to tell Seb, look, you have three WDC trophies, now if you want more, take it on your own without any preferential treatment. I really believe this.

#129 icewest07

icewest07

• 220 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:01

Kimi doesn't have to be "No. 2". I am not privy to instructions issued, but from what we have seen thus far, Webber is fighting Vettel to the last race relentlessly, and the team seems to let him. Problem is, that some people have difficulty to accept, and that he is either slowing down or maybe he was never up to task challenge his younger team-mate. Kimi could challenge Seb, and it could be an interesting experiment which would place their friendship to test. I would like to see it on equal status. Moreover, DM strikes me as an individual who is perfectly capable to tell Seb, look, you have three WDC trophies, now if you want more, take it on your own without any preferential treatment. I really believe this.

Well, that changes everything then.

#130 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:05

I would like to see it on equal status. Moreover, DM strikes me as an individual who is perfectly capable to tell Seb, look, you have three WDC trophies, now if you want more, take it on your own without any preferential treatment. I really believe this.

DM is the owner and the one paying everyone's bills at RBR. He is possibly the only person in Red Bull who can tell that to Sebastian's face.

#131 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:08

Well, that changes everything then.

Do you have any evidence other than your own thinking, that it doesn't?

#132 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:15

DM is the owner and the one paying everyone's bills at RBR. He is possibly the only person in Red Bull who can tell that to Sebastian's face.

To avoid misunderstanding, I also do not believe, that he is having preferential treatment today. My thought was related to future, and whether status would change, if and when Kimi was taken on board. I do recall DM just not too long ago was quoted in printed media, that both drivers have equal status in his team (I would have to search to provide link, something that Webber and his fans seems ignoring).

Edited by Sakae, 03 April 2013 - 09:16.

#133 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:29

Webber for Raikkonen swap

No swap. Webber to leave F1 to drive for Porsche, Kimi to RBR.

http://motoring.nine...lks-to-leave-f1

#134 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:32

I am assuming your belief is also not based on forum polls. I would imagine we have the same opportunity to gauge based on what we experience.

As I mentioned, Kimi has been driving longer, he has necessarily amassed more fans and we are incredibly loyal - following him from sport to sport.

As an F1 driver, Vettel has proven to be highly sought after by all the usual suspects as the youngest ever triple world champion, so I fail to understand why you feel he is not on the same sort of path. He's more or less getting the same treatment Kimi started getting at Macca. The more success he had, the more fans he amassed.

Seb is the young boy racer's driver - just like Kimi was for many of us when he started (prior to that I was all about Prost, but in honesty that was an inheritance from my pop). In addition to adopt a driver - in the case of both Kimi and Seb, you have supreme talent and that is what draws fans of all ages and experience to support a driver.

This is a rationale not a metric.

A forum poll is at least hard data, and when we've also polled nationality we've found that only half the forum are Brits, and also we see that Button is not very popular either. So I don't think there's evidence that nationality is a big factor on this forum. Last time the most popular was the Finn Kimi, then Lewis then the Spaniard Nando then Sebi some way behind.

My whole point is that with his huge achievements and talent Vettel is not as popular as you would expect. He has some fans, obviously, and is well known, obviously, but does he really have the following that Kimi has? I don't think so, but if you have some data let's see it.

I think if Kimi and Sebi are paired things will polarise and Sebi will become even less popular. Kimi is cool. He is genuine, original, very fair on track, fast, brave and yet a secret party animal with an appealing shyness. We love him.

Sebi is arrogant as we've seen and heard many times; the sarcastic "thanks guys" after a bad pitstop and all the others. I reckon many people share my view that the car-naming nice guy is a sham, and also dislike the nasty little sideways darts at an overtaking car. He is good at not boasting about his achievements but that is undermined by The Finger. While Kimi wows us with 'Yes yes yes' Sebi alienates us with 'Get him out of the way'.

So IMO if DM is seriously thinking about Kimi he has to address this issue in order to achieve his goal of selling more fizzy drinks. If the team carries on with Helmet in the garage and front wing favouritisms and the teammate instantly being blamed whenever they clash it will all go wrong and Red Bull will become even less popular.

Edited by undersquare, 03 April 2013 - 09:35.

#135 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:32

^ report's based on information from a german source.... which means it's either very accurate, or very inaccurate.

#136 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:41

^ report's based on information from a german source.... which means it's either very accurate, or very inaccurate.

:lol: :up:

#137 icewest07

icewest07

• 220 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:55

Do you have any evidence other than your own thinking, that it doesn't?

To avoid misunderstanding, I also do not believe, that he is having preferential treatment today. My thought was related to future, and whether status would change, if and when Kimi was taken on board. I do recall DM just not too long ago was quoted in printed media, that both drivers have equal status in his team (I would have to search to provide link, something that Webber and his fans seems ignoring).

I see that what Sakae "really believes" can be used as an evidence in any argument aournd here. :rolleyes:

#138 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,735 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:56

This is a rationale not a metric.

A forum poll is at least hard data, and when we've also polled nationality we've found that only half the forum are Brits, and also we see that Button is not very popular either. So I don't think there's evidence that nationality is a big factor on this forum. Last time the most popular was the Finn Kimi, then Lewis then the Spaniard Nando then Sebi some way behind.

My whole point is that with his huge achievements and talent Vettel is not as popular as you would expect. He has some fans, obviously, and is well known, obviously, but does he really have the following that Kimi has? I don't think so, but if you have some data let's see it.

I think if Kimi and Sebi are paired things will polarise and Sebi will become even less popular. Kimi is cool. He is genuine, original, very fair on track, fast, brave and yet a secret party animal with an appealing shyness. We love him.

Sebi is arrogant as we've seen and heard many times; the sarcastic "thanks guys" after a bad pitstop and all the others. I reckon many people share my view that the car-naming nice guy is a sham, and also dislike the nasty little sideways darts at an overtaking car. He is good at not boasting about his achievements but that is undermined by The Finger. While Kimi wows us with 'Yes yes yes' Sebi alienates us with 'Get him out of the way'.

So IMO if DM is seriously thinking about Kimi he has to address this issue in order to achieve his goal of selling more fizzy drinks. If the team carries on with Helmet in the garage and front wing favouritisms and the teammate instantly being blamed whenever they clash it will all go wrong and Red Bull will become even less popular.

In my opinion the reason Vettel isn't more popular is because he has erased the anticipated results of Hamilton and Alonso for the last 3 years.

I don't really fall for the "so and so is a nice guy" factor. In my eyes Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso are all pretty ruthless.

Edited by Watkins74, 03 April 2013 - 10:06.

#139 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:02

In my opinion the reason Vettel isn't more popular is because he has been erased the anticipated results of Hamilton and Alonso for the last 3 years.

I don't really fall for the "so and so is a nice guy" factor. In my eyes Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso are all pretty ruthless.

If Hamilton or Alonso had won the last 3 wdc's would they have become less popular? :drunk:

No dude. Seriously.

Advertisement

#140 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:10

I see that what Sakae "really believes" can be used as an evidence in any argument aournd here. :rolleyes:

I am expressing an opinion, as many in here do; nothing more, nothing less, and then it is being discussed, or ignored. Your choice in that.

#141 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:11

In my opinion the reason Vettel isn't more popular is because he has erased the anticipated results of Hamilton and Alonso for the last 3 years.

That pretty much sums it up.

#142 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,735 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:11

If Hamilton or Alonso had won the last 3 wdc's would they have become less popular? :drunk:

No dude. Seriously.

Maybe my typo caused confusion because that is not what I was saying at all. I am saying Hamilton and Alonso fans were hoping "their" driver would have won some of these last 3 WDC's and Vettel came out of nowhere to win 3 straight. Which has caused some blowback against Vettel.

Yes dude. Seriously. :D

Edited by Watkins74, 03 April 2013 - 10:12.

#143 AnR

AnR

• 127 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:26

That pretty much sums it up.

+1 , so true

#144 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:29

Maybe my typo caused confusion because that is not what I was saying at all. I am saying Hamilton and Alonso fans were hoping "their" driver would have won some of these last 3 WDC's and Vettel came out of nowhere to win 3 straight. Which has caused some blowback against Vettel.

Yes dude. Seriously. :D

In general fans follow success; that is the point really isn't it? Given 3 equally likeable drivers lots of fans would simply start to admire the new superstar. Why not? His driving is vastly impressive.

But the top 3, or 4, are not all the same. They have different personalities with different appeal, and it's not all about nationality as I just pointed out that's just one factor among many.

Kimi is especially popular for being the person he is.

Vettel, equally, has his personality, or should I say personalities - the cute smiley one and the one that gets out from time to time on track or when things haven't gone his way.

I reckon most people prefer Kimi's personality. So in the same team things will polarise and the way the team treats Kimi HAS to be different from how things have been for Webber.

#145 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:40

Can we go back to the topic and leave the Vettel bashing for other threads?

#146 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:08

Can we go back to the topic and leave the Vettel bashing for other threads?

The topic is (a) can it happen and (b) if so what does it signify.

The likelihood that things will polarise between Kimi and Sebi is very much on topic. You only have to see what happened when Button and Hamilton were paired, and how things are now, to see this in action.

My recommendation would be for Vettel fans to stop arguing the indefensible, but it's up to everyone. If you don't keep arguing, the arguing will stop :D .

For myself I was just pointing out it's a risk for Dietrich to go for a popular driver. It might pay off, or it might backfire.

#147 kismet

kismet

• 6,998 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:14

Sounds - OK, reads - more like a non-committal "Everyone's a candidate until we make our choice" answer to a direct question than an endorsement of Räikkönen as Vettel's potential future teammate. I'd be somewhat surprised if they're seriously considering him but on the off chance they are, my answers to the poll questions would be:

1. Neither good nor bad but meh.
2. Maybe, depending on whether staying put is an option and what (if any) other offers he has. I assume he'd get an offer or three but you never know.
3. Webber. Better the devil you know and all that. He's harmless enough and, above all, passive-aggressive enough not to do any real damage to the team even when they kick him around a bit.

#148 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:29

Sounds - OK, reads - more like a non-committal "Everyone's a candidate until we make our choice" answer to a direct question than an endorsement of Räikkönen as Vettel's potential future teammate. I'd be somewhat surprised if they're seriously considering him but on the off chance they are, my answers to the poll questions would be:

1. Neither good nor bad but meh.
2. Maybe, depending on whether staying put is an option and what (if any) other offers he has. I assume he'd get an offer or three but you never know.
3. Webber. Better the devil you know and all that. He's harmless enough and, above all, passive-aggressive enough not to do any real damage to the team even when they kick him around a bit.

Team's internal dynamics can be managed, but voices are now being heard in speculative terms, that WCC title could be in stake, since rivals to RBR are getting closer, and concern is, whether Webber is (still) actually up to the job to bring home enough points to save the title.

#149 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:42

... but voices are now being heard in speculative terms ....

What a beautiful sentence, Sakae you're an artist.

#150 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,191 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:48

Considering the rule changes for 2014, trying to guess which team will be where in the grid is pretty pointless. So this would be basically a blind move from R√§ikk√∂nen¬īs POV.