Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Bird Flu in China, how will it affect next week's GP?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Ev0lutionz

Ev0lutionz

• 28 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 13:35

Thoughts guys? Everyone wearing a hazmat suit to guard themselves against the virus?
http://www.bbc.co.uk...-china-22037833

Edited by ForeverF1, 05 April 2013 - 13:49.

Advertisement

#2 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 13:40

Maldonado might spread it around the grid because he's always flying off the track

#3 IPBushy

IPBushy

• 51 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 14:17

Thoughts guys? Everyone wearing a hazmat suit to guard themselves against the virus?
http://www.bbc.co.uk...-china-22037833

It won't. The virus reported there lately is not known to transmit human to human.

I would be more concerned about going to Korea!!!!!

#4 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,418 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 15:39

Birds fly everywhere so it doesn't really matter

Oh,.... I see what you mean...

Sorry, carry on.

;)

#5 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 16:19

It won't. The virus reported there lately is not known to transmit human to human.

I would be more concerned about going to Korea!!!!!

According to WHO "The possibility of animal-to-human transmission is being investigated, as is the possibility of person-to-person transmission."

:(

#6 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:52

Birdsh#t and bullsh#t are bigger hazards. Japan has bigger health issues post Fukuoka. Roll on next weekend! :clap:

#7 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:17

I'm actually going to Shanghai for the race so I'm keeping an eye on this story. Nothing would possess me to wear one of those masks though.

#8 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:08

What ? Sam Bird won't attend the GP :p

#9 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,563 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:42

I'm actually going to Shanghai for the race so I'm keeping an eye on this story. Nothing would possess me to wear one of those masks though.

Posted Image

They are waiting :cool:

#10 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:19

Birdsh#t and bullsh#t are bigger hazards. Japan has bigger health issues post Fukuoka. Roll on next weekend! :clap:

Anticipated the Nankai Trough tremor is of a real concern, and CDMC has stated it is not anymore IF, but WHEN; tomorrow, in five years, no one can predict it accurately despite all technology and efforts that are afforded and is available today. Viruses come and go, but travel to, and executing Suzuka race is something else. (This is coming from someone who is hoping for return to Japan very soon despite all predictors Nankai potentially represents).

Edited by Sakae, 06 April 2013 - 07:22.

#11 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:30

My wife is a medic and she always finds it a little laughable that people walk around all day, with all that warm moisture and bacteria trapped only millimetres from their face.

#12 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:32

I wore a such mask in Tokyo, as touch of influenza was catching with me. Masked face was worn not as much for my pleasure, but as considered behavior for my fellow man in that very crowded city. Certainly it was a better solution (other than staying at home), than someone sneezing right into my face, as it actually happened not too long ago in Toronto. China has experience with this kind of containment, and I am sure it will be handled correctly. I have no doubts that FOM would be notified if danger existed; for now it's not issue to be worry about. (Pirelli tire however is a different story)! :D

Edited by Sakae, 06 April 2013 - 10:34.

#13 Archybald

Archybald

• 383 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:18

I feel we should add a little context to the scale of this.

There are roughly 1.4 billion people in china. There are 14 suspected cases of bird flu.

There are roughly 65 million people in the UK.

How would silverstone be affected if 0.649 people got bird flu?

Edited by Archybald, 06 April 2013 - 11:20.

#14 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:28

If you meant Fukushima, there's almost no risk for the health of general public due to the nuclear accident. Radioactive levels in food products in Fukushima and surrounding areas are well monitored and controlled. Note that Fukushima farmers are making TREMENDOUS effort. More than 99% of all tested foods are below minimum detectable level (25Bq/kg), and even within those 99%, it's extremely rare that it exceeds lower minumums of stricter tests, like 8Bq/kg or 5Bq/kg. ATM foods that contain more than 100Bq/kg of cesium (both 137 and 134) is banned by regulation, but standards in europe/us are well above that, like many hundreds bq/kg to a thousand bq/kg. Current Japan standards are way too strict that it's hurting farmers and companies there.

As for environmental radioactive level, of course it's higher than pre-accident scores but even in cities and towns in fukushima it's like 0.2~0.5microSv/h, which is lower than or just slightly higher than many european cities like Rome and London. There are some hotspots here and there, and some areas near the reactor or radioactive plume passed by are still in difficult condition and many people facing difficulty because of it, but overall the situation is manageable.

Tsunami damage is far more serious issue, many people lost loved ones, houses and jobs and their situation hasnt even started to recover yet.

btw currently serious rubella outbreak in Japan, esp Tokyo. quite shameful situation as Japan is not so called a developing country :|

#15 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:31

I guess no wings on the cars then.

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 06 April 2013 - 11:36.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,498 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:34

btw currently serious rubella outbreak in Japan, esp Tokyo. quite shameful situation as Japan is not so called a developing country :|

And there's a measles outbreak in Wales. Same. :|

#17 FLB

FLB

• 29,563 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:43

I'd be more worried about food and water hazards if I were in Shanghai:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-china-21766377

#18 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,172 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 13:30

There are roughly 1.4 billion people in china. There are 14 suspected cases of bird flu.

Nicely done. :lol: :up:

#19 RJL

RJL

• 3,173 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 17:51

Amusing. However the actual cases of the disease are all right in Shanghai. So including the overall population of all of China is simply misrepresentation by statistics. Why don't you compare the number of people in Shanghai to the number of people in the Silverstone area? That would be a more representative comparison.

Advertisement

#20 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 19:42

It has already been taken care of - Bernie has made a deal with the virus - no attacks on China Gp

Edited by rijole1, 06 April 2013 - 20:04.

#21 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 19:48

I don't believe in that Bird Flu story... never saw a bird sneezing. :p

However... people should avoid North Korea's crazy dictatorship surroundings. :p

#22 ashley313

ashley313

• 224 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 22:14

Obviously it will cause Force India to skip one of their free practice sessions, even though Bernie says its no problem.

#23 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 22:17

I'm sure they cancelled the British GP when mad cow was going around in the 90s......................................

#24 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,498 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 22:55

Haha. They did cancel the Isle of Man TT in 2001 during the Foot and Mouth outbreak, which admittedly is something totally different.

#25 Archybald

Archybald

• 383 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:24

Amusing. However the actual cases of the disease are all right in Shanghai. So including the overall population of all of China is simply misrepresentation by statistics. Why don't you compare the number of people in Shanghai to the number of people in the Silverstone area? That would be a more representative comparison.

Well shanghai has a population of around 23 million.

The village of silverstone has roughly 2000 people. So that'd be equivilent to 0.00121739131 of a person. :p
Hell the whole of Northamptonshire has roughly 695,000 people. So that would be 0.423043479 of a person.

Okay okay i'll stop :p i was just having a little fun earlier also my math is probabaly sketchy at best anyway. lol

Edited by Archybald, 07 April 2013 - 04:31.

#26 sergeym

sergeym

• 610 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:54

I never understood all this panic about bird flu. People are terrified and paranoid - yet regular flu actually kills more people every year.

#27 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:28

Blame that fraudulent idiot Dr. Wakefield for that. And the idiots who listened to him. And the media for their lack of due diligence. I mean, if you thought MMR was risky, why not make sure the individual inoculations were completed?

#28 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:37

Ever seen a chicken doing 300 km/h down the straight? They won't influence the race!

As for people's health. How does one protect himself from a common flu?

#29 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:47

Good news then, whatever happens where ever our dear F1 people goes in the world it won´t affect them. Ideal life !

#30 bernardv

bernardv

• 296 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:56

I think it might affect Alonso in a way that he will be again slower than Massa in quali.

#31 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:20

I think it might affect Alonso in a way that he will be again slower than Massa in quali.

How amusing.

#32 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:23

Blame that fraudulent idiot Dr. Wakefield for that. And the idiots who listened to him. And the media for their lack of due diligence. I mean, if you thought MMR was risky, why not make sure the individual inoculations were completed?

well, perhaps kind of similar situation here.
Japanese government stopped mandatory MR vaccine to boys couple decades ago and only gives to girls. Now we're paying hefty dividends. I for one would like to take either immune test or MR now but struggling to find clinic coz of severe shortage of vaccine. Also it's quite expensive, like more than $100.
Rubella affects fetus and infants so badly, yet it's pretty easy and extremly effective to constrain the disease with the vaccine.
Current situation of serious rubella outbreak in Tokyo area is nothing but pathetic blunder by government. Really all that can be done has to be done immediately right now but to my eyes media and government arent sending enough warnings nor taking enough measures.
Plus all those anti-vaccine campaigners and conspiracy theorists shouting out loud arent helping at all.

#33 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:49

I never understood all this panic about bird flu. People are terrified and paranoid - yet regular flu actually kills more people every year.

when new strain of virus is found you have to be cautious because of many unknowns. it's not a panic. Remember that SARS of around decade ago in China/Vietnum/etc was quite serious actually and its spread had been contained only because of devoted efforts and appropriate measures by doctors and authorities.

#34 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:43

Posted Image

They are waiting :cool:

That's why I'm packing a clothes hanger (luckily for me I've seen the masterpiece that is 'Birdemic: Shock and Terror'):

Posted Image

Birdemic trailer for those who want to learn how to defend themselves.

Edited by Juggles, 07 April 2013 - 08:44.

#35 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:58

when new strain of virus is found you have to be cautious because of many unknowns. it's not a panic. Remember that SARS of around decade ago in China/Vietnum/etc was quite serious actually and its spread had been contained only because of devoted efforts and appropriate measures by doctors and authorities.

NOPE!! Read some other reports, than the "official" ones. I was/am living in an area where SARS and bird flu was acute. So I could tell you what I saw and it was mind boggling. But that becomes OT.

All I can say for anyone going to Shanghai. Think careful how you would minimize exposure to any disease that you do not want. I do know that authorities give proper instructions, but that's seldom how it works out in reality, with the common population being scared, because of all kind of myth's emerging overnight. And before I forget, in the same time we had SARS, at least more than 10 times more people did die because of common flu. So the worst about SARS was the the scaremongering, that ensued with the warning the WHO was giving out and media helped to blow it out of proportion. And I get the deja vu feeling about it in Shanghai, although the authorities tell that the outbreak is already over.

So to anyone be on your guard, but don't panic. And to the FIA and Bernie I'd say this. Move the Shanghai to a date that is far away from (and after) any important Chinese holiday. Because that's when the demand for chicken is highest and therefore the risk for a bird flu is higher.

#36 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:33

NOPE!! Read some other reports, than the "official" ones. I was/am living in an area where SARS and bird flu was acute. So I could tell you what I saw and it was mind boggling. But that becomes OT.

All I can say for anyone going to Shanghai. Think careful how you would minimize exposure to any disease that you do not want. I do know that authorities give proper instructions, but that's seldom how it works out in reality, with the common population being scared, because of all kind of myth's emerging overnight. And before I forget, in the same time we had SARS, at least more than 10 times more people did die because of common flu. So the worst about SARS was the the scaremongering, that ensued with the warning the WHO was giving out and media helped to blow it out of proportion. And I get the deja vu feeling about it in Shanghai, although the authorities tell that the outbreak is already over.

So to anyone be on your guard, but don't panic. And to the FIA and Bernie I'd say this. Move the Shanghai to a date that is far away from (and after) any important Chinese holiday. Because that's when the demand for chicken is highest and therefore the risk for a bird flu is higher.

well that's exactly what I meant.
i know the worst about the sars was scaremongering and panic, but at the same time it's true that there were people working at it, that's why we can know it's new virus, what kind, how to manage, etc in the first place. You shouldnt forget about people on that side. However it's always difficult to inform correct info widely, media is lazy. This time they have precedence to learn from in SARS but still there will be some panic and overreaction.
be careful, aware of info but no panic, exactly.

#37 ashley313

ashley313

• 224 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 15:18

Don't worry, STR is taking care of it.

Posted Image

#38 Race2win

Race2win

• 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 15:29

I hope the drivers and all perform the Chicken Dance on the Podium, in memory of the birds who were killed.

#39 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 18:00

I got the bird flu in 2009 and survived. So now I feel imune!

Advertisement

#40 Race2win

Race2win

• 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 18:33

I got the bird flu in 2009 and survived. So now I feel imune!

Did you get any Super Powers??

#41 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 18:39

None except for not worrying about flus anymore and not bothering with medication unless I really feel like death is coming.

#42 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:30

No effect on the race. Complete travelling ban would prevent these diseases from spreading but it doesn't happen, it would hurt businesses too much. And everybody thinks the risk is so low that it's safe to go to there. So they'll go to China and the chance of somebody getting the bird flu is smaller than Caterham winning the race.

#43 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:35

None except for not worrying about flus anymore and not bothering with medication unless I really feel like death is coming.

Getting off-topic but it's much less likely to get the bird flu than media says, it's just a good way to sell newspapers.

If there will ever be a bird flu vaccination, I won't take it. That swine flu vaccination ruined many teenagers' lives as they got narcolepsy from it.

#44 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:59

Posted Image

#45 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 19:38

One more has died :|

#46 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 20:28

Getting off-topic but it's much less likely to get the bird flu than media says, it's just a good way to sell newspapers.

If there will ever be a bird flu vaccination, I won't take it. That swine flu vaccination ruined many teenagers' lives as they got narcolepsy from it.

Continuing the off-topic briefly, I strongly advise you to rethink that opinion on vaccinations. Theories like that, often based on flimsy or discredited research, have done a significant amount of damage to the world.

#47 SmokeScreen

SmokeScreen

• 191 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:01

Lewis Unwell :confused: Surely too soon to have caught flu in China bird or otherwise.

Suggestion that it could be allergic reaction to environment but strong reactions come with flu-like symptoms too. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
http://www.telegraph...se-concern.html

updatedSpoke to @LewisHamilton a little while ago re Friday morning's column. He seems fine and in good spirits ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix @andrewbensonf1

Edited by SmokeScreen, 11 April 2013 - 09:42.

#48 Talisman

Talisman

• 7,073 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:18

Lewis Unwell :confused: Surely too soon to have caught flu in China bird or otherwise.

Suggestion that it could be allergic reaction to environment but strong reactions come with flu-like symptoms too. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
http://www.telegraph...se-concern.html

updatedSpoke to @LewisHamilton a little while ago re Friday morning's column. He seems fine and in good spirits ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix @andrewbensonf1

Sounds more like a reaction to the stupendous levels of air pollution in China to me. I'm surprised more drivers don't get similar symptoms.

#49 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:12

Sounds more like a reaction to the stupendous levels of air pollution in China to me. I'm surprised more drivers don't get similar symptoms.

I have massive issues with the air in London and recently developed hay fever and an itchy nose because of it. Over Easter I was back home in Sweden but experienced no symptoms. Upon my return to London my nose started itching within hours and I had to use my nasal spray for relief.

Air pollution is terrible.

#50 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:21

Try growing up in LA in the 70's
Jp