Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Is there any production racing series left?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:21

Is there any production racing series left that uses sedans??

STCC went over to DTM like silhouette racers this year. Are we left with BTCC and WTCC?

And is it likely that they will swap over to the silhouette versjon?

Advertisement

#2 Head

Head

• 58 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:29

they seriously need to do something about wtcc to make it even remotely interesting , there is no overtaking , cars look like big boxes , one make is dominating , even liveries is very bad. a recipe for a great series indeed

#3 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:37

I thought BTCC NGTC were silhouettes?

#4 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:38

The V2-V6 production classes in VLN feature very lightly modified road cars. Basically only slicks, rollcage and some minor suspension and engine mods.

#5 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 21:55

I thought BTCC NGTC were silhouettes?

Im not following it. But i think you could argue that BTCC is shaping up to be a silhouette racing series. Now that they no longer is required to have original chassie from the front wall/torpedo wall.
http://www.speedhunt...cc-honda-civic/

I had forgot this untill you asked.

Not sure about WTCC.

#6 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,799 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:09

Turismo Nacional from Argentina. It's divided in 2 classes, Clase 2 for 1.6 litre cars (Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio, etc.) and Clase 3 for 1.8 litre cars (Chevrolet Cruze, Renault Fluence, Seat Leon, Ford Focus, etc.). They don't use wings, and produce very entertaining racing.

#7 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 17:52

Turismo Nacional from Argentina. It's divided in 2 classes, Clase 2 for 1.6 litre cars (Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio, etc.) and Clase 3 for 1.8 litre cars (Chevrolet Cruze, Renault Fluence, Seat Leon, Ford Focus, etc.). They don't use wings, and produce very entertaining racing.

When you almost find no pictures or videos you know its a not a well known series out there. Sounds interesting i must admit. even the smaller ones.

Cool stuff!

How is the rules around RWD vs FWD?

Edited by MatsNorway, 13 April 2013 - 18:01.

#8 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 20:10

Continental touring car series.

Edited by SR388, 13 April 2013 - 20:12.

#9 Speedoholic

Speedoholic

• 212 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 20:26

Superstar Series

http://en.wikipedia....perstars_Series

#10 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 20:38

Nascar.

#11 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 20:42

Nascar.

Can you buy a Nascar for the road?

#12 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 20:48

#13 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 21:31

Seriously though isn't the GT series remotely productiony?

#14 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:14

Seriously though isn't the GT series remotely productiony?

http://en.wikipedia....an_(automobile)

Edited by MatsNorway, 14 April 2013 - 11:17.

#15 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:17

cars look like big boxes

This car features in both BTCC and WTCC.
Posted Image

Turtle? Yes. Hunchback? Yes.

How do you figure it looks like a box !!!???? :D

50% think it looks adequate or good :) , 50% think it looks like utter mediocre crap :well: . How can Honda design dept fail so badly (the wildly outdated powertrains are a whole 'nother story :well: ) - it is after all very unwise to alienate loyal EG/EK 3 door enthusiasts and have them think your latest car is a disgraceful abomination! !? :well:

Golf (and it's cousin the spruced up EG Civic.. oops I mean Scirocco!) shows the way that recycling 20 year old designs seems to be preferred... world car of the year winner in fact. :)
According to the press: Turtle -> bad. Box (VW Golf) -> good. :)

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 14 April 2013 - 12:21.

#16 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:20

The handling of a Shelby Ford Mustang GT 500 will be equally bad to the NASCAR so what does it matter? 650 hp (or NASCAR matching 900 hp with mods) and severe oversteer... more than adequate to replicate the agricultural NASCAR experience! :)

#17 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,799 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 17:31

When you almost find no pictures or videos you know its a not a well known series out there. Sounds interesting i must admit. even the smaller ones.

Cool stuff!

How is the rules around RWD vs FWD?

I don't think RWD cars are allowed at all (still, there are not too many cars from the segment used in TN that feature RWD, maybe BMW 1 series, which is not used here)

TN is the second oldest championship in Argentina (born in 1961, it's only behind Turismo Carretera, which is the oldest series still active in the world) though it never had the popularity of TC2000 and Turismo Carretera (TC) mainly because the most important drivers of the country have not raced there frequently, and probably because the cars are not so 'spectacular' as those in TC2000 or TC. But as these two have lost prestige in the last years due to different reasons, TN has become more atractive to manufacturers and even for some of the top drivers of the country, who did not raced there in the past for considering it somewhat of a 'second tier' championship; and a part of the audience who has rejected some changes introduced by TC2000 (specially the spec engine) and the messy politics that affect TC, has vindicated TN for keeping the original chassis, suspensions and engines of the production cars and for the very entertaining races it produces.

Here I leave you a couple of videos:

These are the highlights from the Clase 3 race at Concordia, held a week ago.

These are the highlights from the Clase 2 race at the same venue.

#18 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 18:19

Love it. Shame we don`t have such variation in the WTCC. So many brands and models.

#19 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,989 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 21:22

they seriously need to do something about wtcc to make it even remotely interesting , there is no overtaking , cars look like big boxes , one make is dominating , even liveries is very bad. a recipe for a great series indeed

Are you kidding? I've watched a lot of WTCC races over the past years and there is lots of overtaking and door to door racing. It's a very entertaining series to watch, especially with Chevrolet factory cars gone. Last race in Marakech proved it's an action packed series.

The most boring series, although one with extremely high level of talent on the grid, is the DTM series. There you see hardly overtaking and races that look like processions.