- - - - -

No more stubble?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,823 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 15:06

Couldn't help but notice that Jenson Button was clean-shaven throughout practice and qualifying this weekend. What do you think - co-incidental change of approach to personal grooming - or a foretaste of Gillette title sponsorship next season?

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 15:09

How about the Gillette Asia sponsorship from this weekend?

#3 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 15:12

In the same way that Blackberry would be pissed if they saw Lewis using an iPhone I assume that with Gillette onboard with McLaren, Jenson has been asked to keep a clean shaved look as will have Sergio. Some innovative shaving styles might be equally accepted.

Edited by JRizzle86, 13 April 2013 - 15:13.

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 15:19

Sergio on the way out of McLaren then.

http://www.autosport...php/id/13313943

#5 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 15:23

Sergio on the way out of McLaren then.

http://www.autosport...php/id/13313943

:lol: Ron wiill be on a plane any minute now to sort this kid out.

#6 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 16:04

Posted Image

#7 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 16:29

I remember Alonso cutting his hair, like Checho has, when he joined McLaren. It's pretty pathetic how corporate people they care about this things.

#8 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 16:37

Perhaps this is the real reason Lewis left.

Posted Image

#9 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 16:42

Not to be pedantic, but hey, marketing matters.

Gillette don't insist on beard-less men.

http://www.gillette....e-benjamin.aspx

#10 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,173 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 16:45

Couldn't help but notice that Jenson Button was clean-shaven throughout practice and qualifying this weekend. What do you think - co-incidental change of approach to personal grooming - or a foretaste of Gillette title sponsorship next season?

It's sort of sad that this sounds implausible to me at every team except McLaren. :rotfl:

#11 ANF

ANF

• 29,236 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 16:46

I remember Alonso cutting his hair, like Checho has, when he joined McLaren. It's pretty pathetic how corporate people they care about this things.

I think it's all about fasci... fashion.

#12 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,593 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 16:46

Jenson already had a personal sponsorship with Proctor & Gamble (Head and Shoulders) - so I wonder if this is an expansion of that - hence why it's not on the cars or driver overalls.

But McLaren announcing the deal on their website would indicate it is a bit more than that.

#13 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 17:02

Last year, not many people noticed it, but Hamilton let his "beard" grow for months, a few weeks before he revealed he was leaving the team.

I think it was a huge middle finger in Ron's face.

#14 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 17:03

Jenson already had a personal sponsorship with Proctor & Gamble (Head and Shoulders).

And he stopped having dandruff. These people will do anything to keep sponsors happy.

#15 AD2B

AD2B

• 28 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 20:47

Not to be pedantic, but hey, marketing matters.

Gillette don't insist on beard-less men.

http://www.gillette....e-benjamin.aspx

Kind of reminded me of this story: http://www.nme.com/news/zz-top/64677

#16 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 21:53

Last year, not many people noticed it, but Hamilton let his "beard" grow for months, a few weeks before he revealed he was leaving the team.

I think it was a huge middle finger in Ron's face.

Good spotting! That could def. be right!

#17 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 22:03

I'm fairly certain this was just a long-running joke at Ron's obsessiveness :p

#18 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:47

It's sort of sad that this sounds implausible to me at every team except McLaren. :rotfl:

I am not a McLaren (or any team) supporter and cannot speak for Ron Dennis. But I understand this tidy and sharp appearence thing. It might be that I am older than many. When I was a teen I had it drummed in to me (at home and at school) that any man who does not shave every day is a bum, that shoes snould be clean and trousers pressed crisply shiny.

Perhaps (perhaps? I am sure!) this discipline is no longer encouraged.

This part of my upbringing stays with me. Even today I really hate seeing men in un-pressed suits and scrappy shoes. And as for "designer stubble"........

#19 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,173 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:22

I am not a McLaren (or any team) supporter and cannot speak for Ron Dennis. But I understand this tidy and sharp appearence thing. It might be that I am older than many. When I was a teen I had it drummed in to me (at home and at school) that any man who does not shave every day is a bum, that shoes snould be clean and trousers pressed crisply shiny.

Perhaps (perhaps? I am sure!) this discipline is no longer encouraged.

This part of my upbringing stays with me. Even today I really hate seeing men in un-pressed suits and scrappy shoes. And as for "designer stubble"........

Haha, it's got less to do with the specific image itself and more to do with the idea that it's controlled so tightly. :p I actually applaud those who maintain a well-kempt appearance--especially in today's society.

Advertisement

#20 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:54

Haha, it's got less to do with the specific image itself and more to do with the idea that it's controlled so tightly. :p I actually applaud those who maintain a well-kempt appearance--especially in today's society.

I can see that. But when I worked and was responsible for keeping the show on the road I was a great believer in having things done my way - the way I thought they should be to further professional goals. After all " he who pays the piper".........

#21 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,173 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 00:32

I can see that. But when I worked and was responsible for keeping the show on the road I was a great believer in having things done my way - the way I thought they should be to further professional goals. After all " he who pays the piper".........

Nothing wrong with that at all. :up: