Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Start replays, anyone else think FOM is doing a lame job?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 21:21

How on Earth we still get a full minute if not more of start replays during lap 2-3 when there are cars racing hard? It´s about time whoever running the World feed wakes up and realizes this is not mid 2000´s anymore, we´re missing stuff. How can they not realize it´s a blatant mistake to skip a full lap with pointless replays?

Today when we went back to live Lewis was defending from Alonso into the hairpin, it was outrageous.

Advertisement

#2 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 21:24

Agree, the current FOM TV director is poor. Lacks the racing instinct.

#3 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,744 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 21:27

Agreed. Showing the start is ok, but they show in like thousand different perspectives.

#4 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 21:28

Totally agree. They need to start using some side-by-side video or something so they're not cutting into the racing.

#5 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 21:28

Add Lobato to the mix and you have a depressing combo. Today our TV guys took 2 laps to realize there had been a change in 2nd position in the pitstops :lol:

Edited by Skinnyguy, 14 April 2013 - 21:29.

#6 SonJR

SonJR

• 441 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 21:35

Not a directly OT reply, but what bothers me more is how much stuff happens without viewers getting a replay. Case in point of today would be Daniel Ricciardo damaging his front wing.

Adding to that, considering how many cameras are around track and on the cars it seriously me bothers me that there are incidents where they just can't seem to get a good angle or show us footage at all.

#7 Sennasational

Sennasational

• 453 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 21:42

Not a directly OT reply, but what bothers me more is how much stuff happens without viewers getting a replay. Case in point of today would be Daniel Ricciardo damaging his front wing.

Adding to that, considering how many cameras are around track and on the cars it seriously me bothers me that there are incidents where they just can't seem to get a good angle or show us footage at all.

On the other hand, I don't think a DRS overtake happens without getting a replay. So that's good. I mean, I see overtakes like that on the motorway every day, but these are...erm, louder?

#8 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 21:43

Agree 100%

it drives me batshit crazy :(

#9 brabhamboy

brabhamboy

• 86 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 21:53

Totally agreed. Never understood this. Why not wait until the action has calmed down?
I think it's for the people who watch the start then go wash the car, eat lunch and then come back for the last few laps. I know a few people like that.

#10 icecream

icecream

• 816 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 21:57

definitely agree. somebody start up an online petition.

#11 Donkey

Donkey

• 947 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 22:05

Today was terrible, even worse than usual.

They seem to have this formula where they show multiple replays of the start, from at least five different angles and with a slow-mo or two thrown in for good measure at exactly half way through lap 3, just as DRS is enabled and the field is still bunched up. Why can't they wait until lap 6/7 when things have calmed down a bit?

However today they started to do that but then suddenly cut to Alonso overtaking someone live. But then immediately went back to showing start replays almost like they were obliged to do it. But then cut back to Raikkonen overtaking live. But then went back to finishing their start montage.

#12 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 22:24

Agree 100%

Me too. It was particularly annoying today...Lewis Hamilton was coming under pressure from both Ferraris and suddenly they cut away to show start replays. I actually shouted at the television: "Cut out the endless start replays!" It drives me up the wall! :mad:

#13 MaccaMerc

MaccaMerc

• 22 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 22:25

The replays really got on my nerves sometimes. Today we saw replays of actions that we viewed live, from the exact same angle that we saw it from.
What is the point in that.

The start replays are not so bad if they show footage of someone having a near miss, but one just to see someone at the start getting a poor getaway.

#14 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 13:50

Agree. Absolute idiots. They should be able to insert it at appropriate moments instead of shoving it on to your face on 3rd lap no matter what.

#15 OoxLox

OoxLox

• 436 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 13:53

+1 It really annoys me and they need to leave the replays until there's a gap in the action. This formula they stick to for every race is plain stupid and infuriating at times.

#16 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 22:50

And again today. I´ve always wondered how some people gets the job they have with thousands of people out there understanding better what it takes to do it well. And it goes for lots of stuff, not only for TV director... after reading a couple of Monday articles from Joaquin Verdegay, you just have to laugh to think that guy was a steward and had to make decissions about penalties.

Anyway, that´s off topic. I´m sure they won´t notice by themselves what a terrible mistake they´re doing with replays, so I have no hope on it changing. Can´t we do anything??

#17 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 00:26

Instead of just agreeing, why don't we write an actual damn LETTER to those dumbasses for a change?

Talking is good, acting is better. A petition, a letter, I don't know, but let's come up with a solution.

#18 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:27

And they were using ground level POV cameras while they were duking it out at the start. :down:

#19 aray

aray

• 5,818 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:48

And they were using ground level POV cameras while they were duking it out at the start. :down:

yeah!..starting should always be showed from aerial angle....

Advertisement

#20 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,617 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:03

Up.

No need to show so much reviews.

#21 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:31

cant they split screen for 2? like on right bottom corner we have start from Raik, a bit higher from Massa and higher from Hamilton or Vettel. And on left part of the screen we have current race ongoing.. minute of replays is ********

#22 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:33

Lame again, yes. It is an established procedure. If the idiots don't realize, we would see this for a long time. We have already been seeing them for quite some time now.

DRS enabled! And we move on to START REPLAYS for 3 minutes..

Edited by SpaMaster, 13 May 2013 - 05:33.

#23 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:36

Yes. Really annoying watching Xth replay of the start while seeing in LT there is real racing going on right now.

#24 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,923 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:07

It's not just the direction, which seems to be done via flowchart ("if lap 3, show replays of start"). It's the lack of any sort of imagination in the coverage. In qualifying, in the bits between on-track action, why not show ghost overlays showing where the fastest and slowest drivers are different on corners? Why not offer a split screen of an in-car shot from a driver while showing a wide shot of what that driver is doing? Or even one driver looking forward with the chap he's pressing looking back?

#25 aray

aray

• 5,818 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:11

as someone said,split screen is best solution.....:up:

#26 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:46

A couple races ago there was a battle for the lead (Might have been Bahrain, I can't remember) and the FOM actually postponed their normal array of irritating start replays as the DRS was switched on to cover the battle. They shouldn't be running replays then at all anyway, we're 2-3 laps into the race we want live action not replays.

#27 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:58

It's just an old habit of when races used to become uninteresting after a few laps. Split screen would be a good solution, or simply showing less replays (what about just 1?). Doubt anyone involved in the broadcasting will notice anytime soon.

#28 icecream

icecream

• 816 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:49

Could well be that their market research has shown that they are more likely to get people hooked to watch more of the race if they cut to the 'exciting' start sequence early on. Sure for us F1 fans, we are much more interested in the current action, but it might not be the case for your average punter.

If this is not the case, then those tards need to fix this **** now. I would also settle for split screen.

#29 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:09

I definitely don't want to see split screen getting used, that's a very lame technique.

#30 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:23

I definitely don't want to see split screen getting used, that's a very lame technique.

Have to say i agree with you there, through the FP sessions Sky give us the option of Race Control if we want to watch 2 pictures simultaneously, yet they still show a screen consisting of a mechanics backside while he bends over polishing a Williams front wing together with on track action, whats worse is that the 2 split screens only use a third of the screen,I realise of course that some are happier with 2 or 3 screens, and they're catered for with Race Control, I dont want that and so choose not to use it so it boils my piss when that choice is taken away, if i wanted to watch two 22" monitors i would have bought two, I bought a 50" screen because i like to see F1 in all its glory.

So Sky,if you're reading, thanks for the choice of Race Control, now can we have the choice of whether to use it or not back please?.

#31 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:26

How on Earth we still get a full minute if not more of start replays during lap 2-3 when there are cars racing hard? It´s about time whoever running the World feed wakes up and realizes this is not mid 2000´s anymore, we´re missing stuff. How can they not realize it´s a blatant mistake to skip a full lap with pointless replays?

Today when we went back to live Lewis was defending from Alonso into the hairpin, it was outrageous.

:up:

#32 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 626 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:40

The directing for barcelona was the worst so far this year.

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,247 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:14

It is getting annoying given the way races develop these days. Unless they go to some sort of split screen, then I'd suggest the following: A single replay of the start from a different angle to the live shot. If something more interesting happened, then show a couple more replays but go back to the action in between each one. Most importantly, never interrupt a close battle at the front. Wait until halfway through the race if you have to.

If nothing too dramatic happened, then the on-boards and slowmos can be saved for post-race analysis by the broadcasters.

#34 icecream

icecream

• 816 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:55

yeah, i'd say wait until 3/4 into the race, where things have generally settled down.

perhaps people can tweet @SkySportsF1 during practise sessions (or anytime) to try and get some movement on this.

#35 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:15

I enjoy start replays, but they need to do them when the action has settled down, not during the first two laps when everything is red-hot.

#36 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,616 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:07

its pretty aweful has to be said.

F1 is crying for split screen or screen in screen so replay can be shown without removing live action.

Plus time it better, they always do start on lap 3 when lap 3 is usually action and often miss action because they missed it by showing previous replays, or shots of celebs.

Not enough onboard and air shots.

Also when replays on the live timings are removed off screen.

#37 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 1,095 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:18

They show the replays just as soon as DRS becomes activated. Grrrr!!

#38 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,726 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:22

cant they split screen for 2? like on right bottom corner we have start from Raik, a bit higher from Massa and higher from Hamilton or Vettel. And on left part of the screen we have current race ongoing.. minute of replays is ********

They can't do that because some people will be watching on their ancient 12" TV. Same reason we still have to put up with 4:3 safe graphics.

#39 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:29

My suggestion: let's write a message (open letter?) to SkyF1! They are very open to their fanbase/watchers and will be able to 1) pass the message along to F1 Communications 2) weigh in.

Anybody in on this, or just lazy people here? :drunk: English is not my first language, so I couldn't possibly write something of quality. One thing though: we need to show them it's a wish of several people, it's a MASS request!

yeah, i'd say wait until 3/4 into the race, where things have generally settled down.

perhaps people can tweet @SkySportsF1 during practise sessions (or anytime) to try and get some movement on this.

Edit: didn't see this post, sorry. But a tweet is not enough IMO.

Edited by Ravenak, 14 May 2013 - 09:36.

Advertisement

#40 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,616 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:46

another idea is FOM should be contracted to provide LIVe feed and nothing else, local tv stations handle own replays as they see fit.

#41 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:57

Agree 100%

Oh come on, don't sit on the fence..... :rotfl:

#42 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:02

I'm ok with watching one replay of the start but I'm not ok with watching quite a few from different angles and wondering what the hell is happening with the race at a time when drivers are still following close behind and DRS has been enabled and there will be some position changes. I thought Sunday's was worse than normal.

#43 RC127

RC127

• 1,115 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 20:16

It [the start replays] is insane - it is the FOM version of ITV San Marino 2006... Yet they do it EVERY RACE! By choice!

#44 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 20:22

What annoys me is cutting to a pitstop of a number two drivers, when somebody else is just about to get overtaken. We've all seen pitstops before. They are all almost exactly the same. Apart from the leaders or crucial ones, why show them live at all, when 95% of the time nothing happens that doesn't always happen. Just show replays of particularly quick or bodged ones.

#45 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 20:28

Like 10 seconds before the first light went on, there was a nice helicopter shot just above the cars.

I thought "are they really going to do it?". It was disspointing when they switched for the lower possible camera that makes hard to tell who´s got a nice initial meters.

#46 RC127

RC127

• 1,115 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 21:00

Let's hope they never use that terrible angle at Austin for the race start as they did last year!

#47 icecream

icecream

• 816 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:22

Edit: didn't see this post, sorry. But a tweet is not enough IMO.

perhaps. sometimes the high visibility of social media can encourage action on these things. in any case, i'll hit them up during the next practise session, and i'd encourage others to do as much. certainly can't hurt.

#48 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:33

Agreed with all.

I repeatedly feel like setting fire to my face at the stupidity of it all..... Although that would be nearly as stupid as the bloody issue itself.

#49 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 23:42

perhaps. sometimes the high visibility of social media can encourage action on these things. in any case, i'll hit them up during the next practise session, and i'd encourage others to do as much. certainly can't hurt.

GOOD :up:

If by accident you forget, I'll bump the thread and we'll go berserk! Have them react live and actually DO something, not just get their opinion.

The F1 Communications hospitality is at one end of the paddock, they just need to walk in and talk to them.

#50 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:10

NOW IS THE TIME GUYS