- - - - -

China 2013 - Vettel/Alonso - math riddle

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bernardv

bernardv

• 296 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:01

If you look at average lap times for each of the 4 stints, Vettel was always better than Alonso. But if you look at the race as a whole it's the other way around!

How can that be? :confused:

(elementary school math)

Advertisement

#2 fdspd

fdspd

• 100 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:06

Standard deviation. In addition to the natural field spread at the end of first lap.

#3 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:48

Starting further back; traffic; field spread

#4 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:01

Starting further back; traffic; field spread

those are all included in the lap times.

did you count a weighted average or just an average? because Vettel was on an inverse tactic, his pit stops were slipped by ~10 laps compared to Alonso, obviously 1, he was on lighter fuel for the stints, 2, had a 10 lap longer "slowest stint" and a 10 lap shorter "fastest stint" compared to Alonso.
so it is possible that the averages (just looking at the times and saying a rough average) looked like this:
Vettel: 1:44.5 - 1:43.3 - 1:41.1 - 1:38.0
Alonso: 1:45.0 - 1:43.5 - 1:41.6 - 1:40.3
but it doesn't work like averaging those, it works like this:
Vettel: 14*(1:44.5)+16*(1:43.3) etc...
and with that, I'm pretty sure you'll get a not that surprising result.

#5 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:26

If you look at average lap times for each of the 4 stints, Vettel was always better than Alonso. But if you look at the race as a whole it's the other way around!

How can that be? :confused:

(elementary school math)

As a good friend of mine (Uni Professor in statistics) always says, if I have eaten a whole chicken and you're starving, statistics is the science that says I have eaten 1/2 a chicken and you another half.

That doesn't mean statistics gives wrong results, it means you must know what you can/have to use in each situation and what's wrong for each situation.

What elementary school maths say, and it's absolutely right, is that Alonso's average lap time in the race (discarding lap one, which has a different length for each driver) is 1:43.2899 and Vettel average lap time in the race was 1:43.4314, or in other words: it took Alonso less time to finish the race and, therefore, he won.

What you can never do is to compare average times for stints which happened at different moments in time and with different number of laps.

#6 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:01

plus the simple fact that alonso crossed the finish line first and vettel wasn't even on the podium

#7 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:36

As a good friend of mine (Uni Professor in statistics) always says, if I have eaten a whole chicken and you're starving, statistics is the science that says I have eaten 1/2 a chicken and you another half.

That doesn't mean statistics gives wrong results, it means you must know what you can/have to use in each situation and what's wrong for each situation.

What elementary school maths say, and it's absolutely right, is that Alonso's average lap time in the race (discarding lap one, which has a different length for each driver) is 1:43.2899 and Vettel average lap time in the race was 1:43.4314, or in other words: it took Alonso less time to finish the race and, therefore, he won.

What you can never do is to compare average times for stints which happened at different moments in time and with different number of laps.

To quote- "It was simple, he was (also) racing, he was faster, he passed him (twice) he won"

#8 bernardv

bernardv

• 296 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:39

Well, my answer would be that the stints overlap only partially (about 50%), because of the different tactics. E.g. most of Vettel's 3rd stint overlaps with Fernando's 4th (final) stint. If we compare those two, we see why Fernando came out on top. The only proper way being to compare the race as a whole of course.

#9 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:57

those are all included in the lap times.

did you count a weighted average or just an average? because Vettel was on an inverse tactic, his pit stops were slipped by ~10 laps compared to Alonso, obviously 1, he was on lighter fuel for the stints, 2, had a 10 lap longer "slowest stint" and a 10 lap shorter "fastest stint" compared to Alonso.
so it is possible that the averages (just looking at the times and saying a rough average) looked like this:
Vettel: 1:44.5 - 1:43.3 - 1:41.1 - 1:38.0
Alonso: 1:45.0 - 1:43.5 - 1:41.6 - 1:40.3
but it doesn't work like averaging those, it works like this:
Vettel: 14*(1:44.5)+16*(1:43.3) etc...
and with that, I'm pretty sure you'll get a not that surprising result.

First thing that popped in my mind was this. Sure Vettel was faster, because he started his comparable stints later or had different tyres. So Vettel had less fuel.

#10 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:24

First thing that popped in my mind was this. Sure Vettel was faster, because he started his comparable stints later or had different tyres. So Vettel had less fuel.

And in the first stint, the first lap -in which Alonso is 5 seconds faster- is taken away in the calculations. That causes the average lap time to be artificially lower for Vettel than for Alonso for the only stint they started at the same time (and more or less same fuel), and you end up with all four stints in which Vettel was "faster" than the race winner, even if he finished fourth.
Ain't maths lovely? :D

#11 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:28

Well, my answer would be that the stints overlap only partially (about 50%), because of the different tactics. E.g. most of Vettel's 3rd stint overlaps with Fernando's 4th (final) stint. If we compare those two, we see why Fernando came out on top. The only proper way being to compare the race as a whole of course.

You've got it. :)

#12 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 17:59

it seems Alonso made the same mistake :)
http://www.f1fanatic...kkonen-driving/

In China, on race pace, Sebastian was quickest in all the stints, but had chosen a strange strategy for qualifying.”

#13 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 18:10

Because Fernando is a magician. :wave:

#14 bl-f1

bl-f1

• 1,087 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 21:53

The wheel is spinning, but the hamster is not there...