• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteMouse

WhiteMouse

• 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:16

The Weekes Special - 1934 Ford V8 Roadster “The Grey Ford”

(Written by:  Graeme Cocks)

A low mileage Ford V8 could be bought for about £200 in Sydney in 1934 and brothers Jack and Frank Weekes decided to buy two near new cars with only about 300 or 400 miles on the odometers.

Their father had died in 1927 leaving the two boys (Jack aged 18 years and Frank 15 years) and their mother at their Point Piper home.

In 1935 they sent one of the Fords to a Sydney coachbuilder with the aim of transforming the car into a sports car in the style of the Invictas and Railtons which were being offered in the UK at the time. A wider pair of front mudguards gave the car a lower sleeker look, spare wheels were mounted behind a 32 gallon slab tank at the rear and a pair of aero screens added to the sporting appearance. The car had 17 inch wheels (changed later to 16 inch wheels). They owned the car jointly and they both competed it in sporting events.

Both cars were fitted with Columbia two-speed rear axles which gave 30 miles per hour per 1000 RPM in “High Top” but special attention was lavished on the sports car, which was painted grey with black wheels and a black chassis.

The sports car which they called the “Grey Ford” was fitted with a Miller camshaft and Scintilla Vertex magneto and the flywheel was lightened to reduce rotating mass.

The car had Hartford shock absorbers fitted all round and hydraulic front brakes from a Renault were fitted to the front. Much later when the Renault brake drums were badly worn they were replaced with Ford ones. These performance enhancements wouldn't surprise a 1950s hot rodder but they were done in 1935!

When his son John Weekes took the car over from his father Jack Weekes, he changed the rear Hartfords shocks to hydraulic because they squeaked and he also fitted Ford hydraulic brakes to the rear.

Both Jack and Frank enjoyed competitive driving so they joined the New South Wales Light Car Club firstly with an Alvis, then later competed with the Ford V8 “Grey Ford” in a variety of events run by the club. In later years, Frank Weekes became a Committeeman and Director of the NSW Light Car Club.

In the Waterfall Hill hill climbing contest in July 1935 Frank Weekes recorded a best time of 45 1/5 seconds coming second to a Terraplane. The brothers came second in the over 3000cc class in the 24 hour trial in August 1935 and also competed in the night trial later in the year. In February 1936 at the New South Wales hillclimb championships Frank Weekes recorded a time of 45 1/10s. In December 1937, Jack and Frank shared the car in the Canberra Speed Trials.

The brothers commissioned the construction of a supercharger and one was made of their own design and later another smaller supercharger was made from the same billet for use in a Ford 10 powered hydroplane,. The supercharger was fitted in the front of the crankshaft ahead of the radiator as done on Bentley’s and MG’s of the day. In 1938, they entered the car for the Australian Grand Prix at Bathurst but they do not appear on the starting lists.

The “Grey Ford” was put on blocks during the war years and Jack’s wife drove the other car occasionally. Flying Officer Frank Watson Weekes was killed in 1942 flying a Mosquito fighter bomber to Germany to bomb the Krupps Works at Essen. Jack survived the war, having also served in the RAAF and was discharged, returned home and was at a loose end. He always had a great interest in engines, but had been a Jackeroo at the Ogilvie’s property in Glen Innes NSW before returning to Sydney when he was 18 on the death of his father.

Shortly after the war, the "Grey Ford" was stolen by American sailors which they crashed in York Street, Sydney and was featured in the Newspaper at the time. Soon afterwards Jack Weekes had it repaired by Hastings Deering who sold and repaired cars in Sydney and was soon put back on the road." 

John Weekes said that his father Jack was a good friend of Bill Balgarnie who was a skilled engineer and motor racer in Sydney. In 1935 he was racing midget speedcars at Wentworth Park Speedway, Sydney. In 1936 Bill was riding mechanic for his friend, the noted racer Bill Thompson when he crashed his MG Magnette K3 at the 300 miles Centenary Motor Race at Cowes in Victoria. Bill was working as an engineer for Bill & Bob Chamberlain of Chamberlain Industries who set up a tractor plant in Welshpool, Perth in 1947. Bill made some enquiries on behalf of his friend Jack Weekes and he too was invited to come to Western Australia to help build tractors in Welshpool and staying with the Balgarnies until he found somewhere to live.

“In 1947, Jack drove the “Grey Ford” from Sydney to Perth across the Nullarbor and continued to use the car as a runabout in Perth,” he said.

There is only one record of the car competing in Western Australia which was at the WA Sporting Car Club sprints at Caversham in 1948.

John also remembers taking the car in 1954 or 55 on a long trip from Perth to Kalgoorlie, Esperance, and then to Albany and back to Perth.

In about 1959 or 1960, John received an inheritance of £200 from his grandmother who had died in 1942 and decided to take the “Grey Ford” instead as settlement of her will.

After a few years enjoying the car for his personal use, John bought a Volkswagen Beetle in 1962 and drove it to Sydney to take up a job in the sales department of Qantas returning years later and eventually rising to the position of Duty Manager for Qantas in Perth Airport.

On his frequent visits back to Perth John would drive the “Grey Ford” and the last time he drove it was on a visit home for his sister’s wedding in early 1963. Later that year, the car was laid up at their family home in Nedlands as John had been transferred to New York. John intended to fully restore it back to as new condition but decided to cancel it’s registration in 1967. When the Nedlands house was sold in about 1977, a couple of years after his father Jack’s death, the car was moved to his sister's home in Trigg and stored.

As part of his intention to restore the car, he had the chassis bead blasted and painted. “The chassis was refurbished by a panel beater called Bob Lambkin in East Perth and the bodywork was repaired by a body builder in the Perth hills,” said John.

The engine was deemed serviceable and left – and that was all that was done. It had a pair of new aluminium heads fitted. The car has been stored since 1963, deteriorating very little and waiting for the day when it would be fully restored to its former glory.

Edited by WhiteMouse, 07 April 2014 - 06:38.

Advertisement

#2 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:50

Welcome WhiteMouse...outstandingly interesting first post! Welcome :up:

#3 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:58

Welcome WhiteMouse...outstandingly interesting first post! Welcome :up:

Yes White Mouse (Aka Jack) congratulations on your first post.

I do hope that you have begun filling out the logbook application for this very original and complete pre war racing car.

Readers I have seen the vehicle and ask that you assist Jack with any information you may have, especially its competition history. Jack has lots of information on the car as it’s a one family owner car but anything more will only enhance this project. Understand that it is a long way from where it began its life and living in the antipodes makes it rather hard for us over here to research much.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:35

I'm sure you've come to the right place...

And is the 'White Mouse' nom de plume in any way related to the Perth-based car with an engine like that in the hydroplane?

#5 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 21:54

I have 1930s photos of this car in Sydney. It was a smart thing

My knowledge of the car suggests the post above is a wonderfully accurate description, but with some information I was not aware of. Thank you for adding to my knowledge.

I was under the impression that it was Bill Balgarnie who added the supercharger

The only omission from the post appears to be that Frank Weekes was a committeeman and Director of the NSW Light Car Club-- and the competition record of this long lost car

Again, Western Australia springs a TNF surprise

#6 WhiteMouse

WhiteMouse

• 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:53

Yes White Mouse (Aka Jack) congratulations on your first post.

I do hope that you have begun filling out the logbook application for this very original and complete pre war racing car.

Readers I have seen the vehicle and ask that you assist Jack with any information you may have, especially its competition history. Jack has lots of information on the car as it’s a one family owner car but anything more will only enhance this project. Understand that it is a long way from where it began its life and living in the antipodes makes it rather hard for us over here to research much.

#7 WhiteMouse

WhiteMouse

• 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:56

I'm sure you've come to the right place...

And is the 'White Mouse' nom de plume in any way related to the Perth-based car with an engine like that in the hydroplane?

Thanks for the quick responses to my search request on this very interesting Sydney based car and yes Ray I also have the Ford 10 Special "White Mouse" in my collection. Looking forward to anything else that comes up from these Posts.

Thanks again.
Jack

#8 WhiteMouse

WhiteMouse

• 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:05

I have 1930s photos of this car in Sydney. It was a smart thing

My knowledge of the car suggests the post above is a wonderfully accurate description, but with some information I was not aware of. Thank you for adding to my knowledge.

I was under the impression that it was Bill Balgarnie who added the supercharger

The only omission from the post appears to be that Frank Weekes was a committeeman and Director of the NSW Light Car Club-- and the competition record of this long lost car

Again, Western Australia springs a TNF surprise

Thank you John, I wasn't aware that Frank Weekes was on the committee of the NSW Light Car Club. I contacted the NSW Light Car Club recently to search for some info on the vehicle and haven't received any info as yet. Among the photos and information I got with the car were a couple of original NSW Light Car Club membership cards for both Frank and Jack in perfect condition. The Weekes family kept a great record of the car and it's travels.

My biggest query is I've found a notice that the Weekes Ford V8 Special was entered into the 1938 Australian Grand Prix at Bathurst, but there are no records of it actually running on the day.... what happened? Did it have mechanical trouble and not make the start? This is something that I would be very interested in finding out.

Any clues out there...

#9 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:11

"Bathurst Cradle of Australian Motor Racing" P24: "Fagan's 8CM 3 litre Maserati, John Snow's 2.3 Alfa Romeo, Register's Ford V8 special from New Zealand, Hope Bartlett's MG Q, and Weeks' blown Ford V8 entered but were non acceptors".

My apologies for the spelling error, but even though I cant find my original source I believe this information came from newspaper items. We can account for most of the others (first 2 didnt come to Australia -- see John Snow book, MG Q perennially unreliable even spannered by Fred Robinson), but not the Weekes car. So, it was entered but non-accepted ie either the entrant or the organizers found reason not to run. It did not practise or race that Easter 1938--- although a niggling memory suggests to me that I may have seen a photo of it at Bathurst that weekend. I cant find the pics of it I thought I had. Various people ( Clive Gibson, John Sherwood, George Reed,,,) told me the car impressed them

The NSW LCC was in limbo for WW2, reformed, then reconstituted itself postwar, a combined with others ultimately becoming the Australian Sporting Car Club. The remaining ASCC papers (including some NSWLCC stuff back to its formation 1930) are in the NSW State Library in a special collection. John Arter, who handed them to the Library, died some years ago

Are you able to post a pic or two?

#10 WhiteMouse

WhiteMouse

• 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:00

"Bathurst Cradle of Australian Motor Racing" P24: "Fagan's 8CM 3 litre Maserati, John Snow's 2.3 Alfa Romeo, Register's Ford V8 special from New Zealand, Hope Bartlett's MG Q, and Weeks' blown Ford V8 entered but were non acceptors".

My apologies for the spelling error, but even though I cant find my original source I believe this information came from newspaper items. We can account for most of the others (first 2 didnt come to Australia -- see John Snow book, MG Q perennially unreliable even spannered by Fred Robinson), but not the Weekes car. So, it was entered but non-accepted ie either the entrant or the organizers found reason not to run. It did not practise or race that Easter 1938--- although a niggling memory suggests to me that I may have seen a photo of it at Bathurst that weekend. I cant find the pics of it I thought I had. Various people ( Clive Gibson, John Sherwood, George Reed,,,) told me the car impressed them

The NSW LCC was in limbo for WW2, reformed, then reconstituted itself postwar, a combined with others ultimately becoming the Australian Sporting Car Club. The remaining ASCC papers (including some NSWLCC stuff back to its formation 1930) are in the NSW State Library in a special collection. John Arter, who handed them to the Library, died some years ago

Are you able to post a pic or two?

Wow wow wow, so great to hear from someone who has some info about this missing bit of history for the car. Would like to see any photos of the car if anyone out there has any.
I have lots of images of the Ford, but haven't worked out how to post them in here yet... will work it out and send you all a couple of photos.

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:17

What a shame you weren't posting here five or six years ago when I was visiting George Reed regularly...

He could probably have turned up photos of the car from his archives, he'd definitely have been interested in any V8 Special in that era.

And let's not neglect Jack Nelson's successful little baby, either. Photos of it and some kind of understanding of why it was so successful would be nice!

#12 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 22:53

Canberra Flying Quarter mile speeds that weekend were Kleinig Miller 8 engined Kirby Deering 116mph, Jones 1750 Alfa Romeo 102, Bullen Garlick Alvis 101, Saywell Railton 100, McIntyre Hudson 99, Snow Buick 96, Fagan Hudson 95. Burrows Hudson 94, J.Weekes Ford 93.7

Do you have any information on which coachbuilder did the body?

#13 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 23:23

The newspapers on Trove list a few results but I couldn't see any published photos.

http://trove.nla.gov...q...ford v8&s=0

#14 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:57

Welcome Jack. The Whitemouse leads the Bugatti at the Patriotic Grand Prix at Applecross in 1940. It is amazing that both these cars still compete in Historics in WA today.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:36

Which corner is that, Ken?

#16 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 00:25

Sorry i dont know what corner it is Ray.
Is the lead car the Weekes Special this shot was taken 1947. The second car i believe is Jack Nelsons Wife.
My apologies for the condition of the photo.

Posted Image

#17 WhiteMouse

WhiteMouse

• 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:10

Sorry i dont know what corner it is Ray.
Is the lead car the Weekes Special this shot was taken 1947. The second car i believe is Jack Nelsons Wife.
My apologies for the condition of the photo.

Gidday Ken and thanks for the photo, but no that car in front isn't the Weekes Ford V8 but love the fact the car behind is possibly Jack Nelson's wife....
I'm working on setting up a Flickr photo gallery site with all the photos of the Ford V8 as there are lots of photos that I got with the car.

Stay tuned will get back to you with some photos....

Posted Image

#18 WhiteMouse

WhiteMouse

• 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:11

The newspapers on Trove list a few results but I couldn't see any published photos.

http://trove.nla.gov...q...ford v8&s=0

Thank so much Wirra for the Trove competition information; I did find a couple notices but you have included so much more than I was aware of.... I'm very excited!
For everyone who is interested, I just setup a Flickr photo gallery with the entire suite of photos I acquired along with the car. Take a look as there are some very interesting photos in there from events in NSW. All comments are invited.

http://www.flickr.co...ackdelborrello/

#19 WhiteMouse

WhiteMouse

• 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:59

Canberra Flying Quarter mile speeds that weekend were Kleinig Miller 8 engined Kirby Deering 116mph, Jones 1750 Alfa Romeo 102, Bullen Garlick Alvis 101, Saywell Railton 100, McIntyre Hudson 99, Snow Buick 96, Fagan Hudson 95. Burrows Hudson 94, J.Weekes Ford 93.7

Do you have any information on which coachbuilder did the body?

I did ask that question, but John Weekes couldn't remember the name. But did recall the company who repaired the body when it was Stolen just after the war.

John Weekes said, "Shortly after the war, the car was stolen by American sailors in Sydney which they crashed in York Street, but was repaired by Hastings Deering who sold and repaired cars in Sydney and was soon put back on the road."

Advertisement

#20 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:45

Jack, absolutely stunning photos!

Even someone like me who has researched NSW 1930s motorsport assiduously, found surprises.

Waterfall Hill in the National Park south of Sydney, Bathurst both dirt and tar, useful shots of the Vale circuit, Garlick Alvis, Mackellar V8, Kleinig Hudson (and Miller), Saywell's Alfa, the various Terraplane Specials, MG NEs,..... the list goes on-- even before we get to the Weekes car(s)

What a great pleasure this is. Thanks. I intend to keep returning to this extraordinary collection

Now, WHICH coachbuilder? Do you know?

#21 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:04

Doh!

I only looked at the first page...

On which of his pages does the Kirby-Deering Miller appear? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it in that form

#22 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:42

That is a great collection of photos Jack.

#23 WhiteMouse

WhiteMouse

• 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:56

Jack, absolutely stunning photos!

Even someone like me who has researched NSW 1930s motorsport assiduously, found surprises.

Waterfall Hill in the National Park south of Sydney, Bathurst both dirt and tar, useful shots of the Vale circuit, Garlick Alvis, Mackellar V8, Kleinig Hudson (and Miller), Saywell's Alfa, the various Terraplane Specials, MG NEs,..... the list goes on-- even before we get to the Weekes car(s)

What a great pleasure this is. Thanks. I intend to keep returning to this extraordinary collection

Now, WHICH coachbuilder? Do you know?

Thanks for all your comments and very happy to share this fabulous collection of photos that came courtesy of John Weekes.
I will ask John again if he can remember the name of the coachbuilder, but to date he cannot remember the name.

#24 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 22:15

Can I suggest Properts?

From memory, they did the Burrows Hudson and others...

#25 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:05

I appear to have found tne answer to my own question: checking some old notes, I found that George Reed told me a long time ago that not only was he impressed by the Weekes Ford(s) but also that the bodywork was done not by a formal coachbuilder but at (or via)Stan Hill Motors then in William Street Sydney where George worked. George said that he was impressed and influenced by the Weekes car then and later, when he built his own Ford V8 Specials. Stan Hill Motors later moved to Palmer Street to become Stan Hill Moginie Motors.

This rather surprised me, because George's best-looking car, Monoskate, carried the body off the earlier Ben Tarr Rajo Ford. We can be moderately certain that Monoskate 's body did not have its origins at Stan Hill Motors.

I had ventured a guess that we might have been contemplating Smith and Waddington's at Camperdown as the builder /modifier of the Weekes body, partly because I think without real certainty that Monoskate's body may have originated there.

Love to hear/ see more on this remarkable piece of motor sporting archaeology

PS Apologies to David McKinney. I was looking at too many different files some on computer some not when I mistakenly mentioned several different versions of the Kleinig Hudson/ Kirby Deering-Miller 8. What I CAN offer as a peace offering, however is the several different bodies on the Garlick Alvis ONE OF WHICH ACCORDING TO GEORGE REED was also built at Stan Hill Motors