- - - - -

saloon club car aero

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:51

Been doing some research on aero modifications on a fwd club car that is used for circuit sprints and hilclimbs. It is also used for club runs so it has to have ground clearance suitable for road use.
I was intending on fitting a front spoiler with a horizontal splitter lip protruding out from the front bar about 80mm.
The cooling flow appears to dump straight under the car. There is little in the way of under car aero.

My idea was to seal the engine bay to ensure all the airflow goes under the car but duct it through a tunnel on top of a flat floor. the bottom of the tunnel would be the flat floor and the top would be the tunnel that contains the exhaust (fwd so no driveline) I would release the cooling system air through the rear bumper in the low pressure area behind the car to provide infill and reduce drag.

I would run a flat floor with a diffuser starting at the rear suspension.

Has anyone ever tried ducting the cooling exhaust in such a way?

Advertisement

#2 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 14:09

What car. Some of the older cars seems to have so much ground clearance that with some big sticky tire and lowering the car still got some space to utilise in such a manner. But why run it all the way to the rear.. Sides can be used too. But perhaps not as good looking.

With good tunneling and tinkering you could splitt things up and do more than just a simple diffuser.. double decker diffusers allow some of the underbody air to go above the diffuser too.

Posted Image

Don`t quote me on this...

Edited by MatsNorway, 18 April 2013 - 14:19.

#3 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 15:19

:rotfl: That's what I feel like saying...

Edited by Tony Matthews, 18 April 2013 - 15:19.

#4 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 20:19

Hush you!

#5 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 23:14

What car. Some of the older cars seems to have so much ground clearance that with some big sticky tire and lowering the car still got some space to utilise in such a manner. But why run it all the way to the rear.. Sides can be used too. But perhaps not as good looking.

With good tunneling and tinkering you could splitt things up and do more than just a simple diffuser.. double decker diffusers allow some of the underbody air to go above the diffuser too.

Posted Image

Car is a Turbocharged Renault Fuego. Has been lowered but still ha plenty of space as i can use the chassis rails to seal the upper tunnel and mount the flat floor. The reason i thought the rear would be better was because it is a lower pressure area and by infilling it would reduce drag and pump air through the cooling system like a P51. If I ducted it out the sides between the front and rear wheels would that increase drag and disturb the (hopefully) attached flow?

#6 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:40

Well.. You got the suction from the rear end but you also got a longer tunnel and if you use the underside of the car its not a smooth one.

Fortunately it should be a quick mod to get the air out to the sides if the rear end stuff does not work. Its easy to test with and without too just attach some threads in the exit and look at it from another car. Turbulence on the sides is garanteed. with or without exits.

Does the exhaust go all the way to the back?

#7 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:26

at the moment it does but it is tucked up in such a way that it won't interfere with a diffuser. If I do the central tunnel, I will reroute the last section so it stays completely within the tunnel.

_______
______|______|______

#8 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:31

at the moment it does but it is tucked up in such a way that it won't interfere with a diffuser. If I do the central tunnel, I will reroute the last section so it stays completely within the tunnel.

Edited by mistareno, 19 April 2013 - 13:32.